• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Vita is 4 years old in NA

Cyborg

https://twitter.com/KazHiraiCEO/status/699359536172417025

rTxGgI6.png

Wohoo, snap.

Sabas

Banned
Bought the original version when I was stationed in Japan. It's been through hell and back (and it shows). Still trucking along, marathoned a good chunk of Digimon Cyber Sleuth yesterday. It's my favorite handheld.

Banned
the dead don't age.

Title should be "The Vita would have been 4 years old in NA today".

It's great for indies and classics and a handful of vita exclusives but I'm still bitter about Sony not putting the effort in for some first party franchises. A ground up infamous or God of war would have been amazing.

impact

Banned
What a waste of money this thing was.

Sony cared so little they didn't even want to save it as a RP device. A grip with the missing buttons would have given this handheld at least some kind of purpose in life.

What a waste of money this thing was.

Sony cared so little they didn't even want to save it as a RP device. A grip with the missing buttons would have given this handheld at least some kind of purpose in life.

All of those things already exist though

Ignorance of where the Vita is 4 years later man.... I blame Sony

The community around the Vita (both developers and consumers) are what really makes it special

Fucking Sony is actually in the WAY

Yawnier

Banned
I bought my vita in mid 2014. I haven't played it as much as I thought I would but it is such a nice handheld, hardware wise.

I also own P4G but haven't gotten to it yet either lol.

ChrisD

Happy Birthday, you beautiful OLED. Keep on truckin'.

I didn't even want one in its first year, but something drew me to it in 2013. Gravity Rush, Persona 4 Golden, portable Minecraft with my brother, Project Diva re-introducing me to my love of rhythm games, and Danganronpa; those all stick out as some of my highlights with it over the years. I think I own around the same amount of games on it as I do my 3DS!

Memory card prices still suck. My fridge-fu is lacking, so I can never access much of my collection. Think I'll see about getting a 64GB for my birthday in August, if they're not OOS and scalped by then.

kennyamr

It's weird but in fact I've been using my Vita way more lately, playing JRPGs that I never had the chance to play, if somehow Sony could put the entire PS1 and PS2 library on the Vita, i think it still would sell for many more years.

They also should have called it PSP2, I don't know why they went with the "Vita" name.

DrFurbs

What's coming then in 2016…? Also, I have an original Vita.. Are the batteries replaceable?

I think mine is beginning to wane!

Pandy

Well, as you can tell, I spent a lot of time on this:

P9zANlZ.gif

Maybe one of the pros will have a better answer.

Anyway I've easily had some of my favorite handheld moments in the last few years with you, Vita. So as my friend's 2-year-old says, herpie bathday.
Shouldn't this be playing in reverse?

What's coming then in 2016…? Also, I have an original Vita.. Are the batteries replaceable?

I think mine is beginning to wane!

Odin Sphere, Cold Steel 2, Grand Kingdom, Darkest Dungeon, Slain, Cosmis Star Heroine, Toukiden 2, Risk of Rain, Dragon Quest Heroes 2, world of FF.

Thats my short list but im sure ill end up buying more this year

Poop!

I remember the first E3 where they spent more time at E3 talking about WonderBook than Vita. At that point I assumed it was a low priority to them and waited on it to see how they'd support.

Very drastic coming from the incredible first party support the PS3 had and only Tearaway got the new IP from a top tier dev treatment.

EPaul

Owned one since 2013 it's the best handheld hardware ever created too bad it didnt get the support it deserved.

Owned one since 2013 it's the best handheld hardware ever created too bad it didnt get the support it deserved.

Not in line to get a successor either which is a real shame

Nintendo NX is something im keeping an eye on for the future beyond 2016-17

Not going to toss my Vita anytime soon though.

Bittercup

All of those things already exist though
Ignorance of where the Vita is 4 years later man.... I blame Sony
The community around the Vita (both developers and consumers) are what really makes it special
Fucking Sony is actually in the WAY
While at least a third party trigger grip does exists you are still at the mercy of developers if you can actually use it for remote play.
Since Sony doesn't allow the customization of control profiles for remote play, if a developers maps L2/R2 on the front touch pad the trigger grip becomes useless.
I wish Sony would fix this. A simple virtual DS4 controller and you can select which button should be mapped to what on the Vita would be ideal.
It really doesn't feel like Sony put much care into implementing this feature. Similar to in general their handling of the Vita.

But happy birthday Vita. I still love you.
I never expected a handheld to become one of my primary gaming platforms.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I bought a Vita last week after my girlfriend strongarmed convinced me to buy it for her after it went on sale at GameStop ... and she'd already bought Hatsune Miku f 2nd and imported Hatsune Miku f. She loves it and she breathed in those Hatsune games.

It's a neat little device. I dug through the vat of clearance games at my nearby Walmart and actually found 21 Vita games in there! I was kind of excited because I know how hard it is to find physical Vita games in the wild, LoL. Ended up buying Killzone, Freedom Wars and Tearaway for a combined $43 after doing some pricematching. Probably going to get the two Senran Kaguras and Wipeout eventually, too.

Is Gravity Rush worth buying on the Vita instead of the PS4? I know it just got that Remastered edition, but it originally came out on the Vita and is one of its better games.

ike_

It would make more sense. I mean, it's not like the Vita is coming back to life because it's had a 4th birthday.

I'd totally post it if there was an easy way to reverse gifs in GIMP. Though the DSs screaming as the Vita climbs into its coffin probably wouldn't make much sense either.

Ashilyn

Still the best system in years, if you ask me. I wish I still had my beautiful white one I got on AC: Liberation's launch day. Sad it got stolen, but now I have a aqua blue slim. Still love it. Also went ahead and got a Vita TV. Being able to play these games on a TV is a godsend sometimes.

Ricky 7

This thing never made a name for it's self. It's the only Playstation console I haven't bought, actually it's the only console I haven't bought in the past 20 years. It just doesn't have big games.

doomquake

First system I've owned which feels like it died before reaching full potential..if not ANY potential. Beautiful piece of powerful hardware wasted.

Nuu

Banned
The Vita was a victim of time. At the end of the day the market it was targeting does not want a dedicated handheld anymore. That market sailed at the turn of the decade.

I personally view the Vita similar to the Sega Saturn. They were two mainstream platforms that were crafted to be the ultimate experience in a dying market in gaming. In the Vita's case it was cutting edge portable gaming, with the Saturn it was cutting edge 2D gaming and "arcade in your living room" types of games. Both systems seemed to be stuck in between an awkward definition of sales as it sold more than a failed system but less than a successful one, which is further obscured that they were reasonably successful in Japan but didn't do much to make an impact in the West. On top of that both platforms seemed to specialize in highly niche Japanese games.

Not saying the systems are the exact same. However, they do seem pretty similar to one another.

The Flop

Banned
The Vita is trash, does anyone in the GP care about it? NOPE? Even the homeland didn't seem to care about it.

Sony please, no more trash handhelds. Stick to movies.

big-lebowski-shaking-head-no.gif

The Vita is trash, does anyone in the GP care about it? NOPE? Even the homeland didn't seem to care about it.

Sony please, no more trash handhelds. Stick to movies.

big-lebowski-shaking-head-no.gif

Buying a Vita is like voting for Hilldawg, it's cool in concept, but in the long term you'll regret it.

A Trump tea.

Sega CD had more impact than the Vita. Even the 32X did tbh. Vita was DOA. Talent always wins.

Is this Sammy Samusu's alt account

Couldn't disagree more. 95 games in the green on this list, I own and would highly recommend most of them. And that's not to mention PS1 classics and PSP games.

Like others have said here, it's been my most played system ever since it came out. Fantastic device.

No Gran Turismo, No Ace Combat, No Soul Calibur. As a racing games fan, air or space combat fan, weapon fighting game fan, WRPG fan, theres simply not much.
Both PSP and NDS had great catalogs, Vita in other hand is quite dead for several.

Dissagree all you want, the catalag is absolutely medicre.

Top Bottom