• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Performance Thread [Enhanced Edition Patch - New content & 100+ fixes]

kamspy said:
Can someone point me toward the benchmark that showed the Sandy Bridge CPUs giving a performance increase over similarly clocked AMDs and older i7s?

CPU2.png

Hawk269 said:
Thanks for posting that. In the Ubersampling settings, there is 3 options...

0....1....2? I know that 2 is on, but is 0 off and 1 is partial uber sampling?

Not sure. I do not think 1 does anything.

Thrakier

This is the ultimate Frame skipping fix:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=8EO4GKZL

I had frame skipping on two systems, ATI and Nividia. ATI was more severe but with Nvidia it's also there. The fix above works 100%. Game is much smoother after this. Frame skipping means that if the game is scrolling (camera turns around or you ar erunning around) the game engine makes little "jumps". It's horrible and completly destroys the beauty of TW2 imo.

Read this:

http://en.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?/topic/22972-absolutly-massive-frame-skipping/

scitek

This is the ultimate Frame skipping fix:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=8EO4GKZL

I had frame skipping on two systems, ATI and Nividia. ATI was more severe but with Nvidia it's also there. The fix above works 100%. Game is much smoother after this. Frame skipping means that if the game is scrolling (camera turns around or you ar erunning around) the game engine makes little "jumps". It's horrible and completly destroys the beauty of TW2 imo.

Read this:

http://en.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?/topic/22972-absolutly-massive-frame-skipping/

Can I get someone to repost this fix, please? The Megaupload link isn't working.

EDIT: Nevermind, it's working again!

Infinite Jest

Neo Member
Quick question:

I'm using D3DOverride for triple buffering; how should I configure my vsync? ATM I have it on in game and off in D3DO. Does triple buffering even apply to the in-game vsync? Also, has anyone been able to remedy the craptastic cursor lag w/in menus?

Thrakier

Quick question:

I'm using D3DOverride for triple buffering; how should I configure my vsync? ATM I have it on in game and off in D3DO. Does triple buffering even apply to the in-game vsync? Also, has anyone been able to remedy the craptastic cursor lag w/in menus?

I'm pretty sure the game uses Triple Buffering per se, so you don't need D3DO. Otherwise the FPS would be locked at 30 with double buffer vsync. However, that's what you want to get rid of frame skipping anyway...

Kyaw

Quick question:

From the OP:

- To fix the floaty mouse cursor, change Smoothness=1 to Smoothness=0 under the mouse settings in the User.ini (User.ini is found in My Documents/Witcher 2/Config)

If you are using D3DO, disable in-game V-SYNC and enable Triple buffering and V-SYNC in D3DO instead.

Thrakier

Sorry guys, the fix needs to be applied to the BIN folder!!!!!!

Question for those using the fix - ist it flawless for you now or do you still get skips from time to time? Are you locked to 30 with the fix?

EDIT:

It#s a lot smoother with DXTORY 30FPS...without there is still tons of micro stutter. Man this engine sucks...

EDIT2:

Now, the fuck? The game is lagging WITH the fix and WITHOUT it it's gone. Sorry but that's... o_O The fuck?

Infinite Jest

Neo Member
Sorry guys, the fix needs to be applied to the BIN folder!!!!!!

Question for those using the fix - ist it flawless for you now or do you still get skips from time to time? Are you locked to 30 with the fix?

EDIT:

It#s a lot smoother with DXTORY 30FPS...without there is still tons of micro stutter. Man this engine sucks...

EDIT2:

Now, the fuck? The game is lagging WITH the fix and WITHOUT it it's gone. Sorry but that's... o_O The fuck?

I won't bother using D3DOD then. As for the frameskipping thing, you've confused the royal shit out of me. I can't even find the "BIN" folder!?

Salaadin

I won't bother using D3DOD then. As for the frameskipping thing, you've confused the royal shit out of me. I can't even find the "BIN" folder!?

Which version are you using?
GOG version bin folder is here :\Program Files (x86)\GOG.com\The Witcher 2\

Steams should be :\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\The Witcher 2

Salaadin

Well, I can't seem to find the bin folder.

I just downloaded amazons free game to see where they install their titles and it looks like the game download lets you choose whereever you want to install it. The bin folder should be wherever your main The Witcher 2 directory is.

Enkidu

Well, I can't seem to find the bin folder.
I don't know if some versions doesn't have a bin folder, but the important thing is that you place the d3d9.dll file in the same folder as the witcher2.exe file. From what I can tell the witcher2.cfg.txt file is also useless unless you rename it to antilag.cfg.

Infinite Jest

Neo Member
I just downloaded amazons free game to see where they install their titles and it looks like the game download lets you choose whereever you want to install it. The bin folder should be wherever your main The Witcher 2 directory is.

Hmm. Well, I did find it. It was not in the wicher directory nor was in the my documents witcher folder; rather, it decided to create the bin folder in a random place on my E:/ drive (my non-OS drive; I use a ~100gb ssd for as the boot drive so I generally keep games on my HDDs) not even remotely related to where any other witcher related files are. -1 for Amazon (but they're still up at least 1,000 in my book ;p)! I'll give this a shot and see how it goes. Thanks all!

Enkidu

Hmm. Well, I did find it. It was not in the wicher directory nor was in the my documents witcher folder; rather, it decided to create the bin folder in a random place on my E:/ drive (my non-OS drive; I use a ~100gb ssd for as the boot drive so I generally keep games on my HDDs) not even remotely related to where any other witcher related files are. -1 for Amazon (but they're still up at least 1,000 in my book ;p)! I'll give this a shot and see how it goes. Thanks all!
Wait, so your main executable is in a completely different folder than the other game files? That doesn't sound normal at all to me.

Thrakier

I don't know if some versions doesn't have a bin folder, but the important thing is that you place the d3d9.dll file in the same folder as the witcher2.exe file. From what I can tell the witcher2.cfg.txt file is also useless unless you rename it to antilag.cfg.

Wait what? It didn't have that problem before with "antilag.cfg" instead of witcher2.cfg. Can you elaborate that? Maybe someone changed something at some point...

Enkidu

Wait what? It didn't have that problem before with "antilag.cfg" instead of witcher2.cfg. Can you elaborate that? Maybe someone changed something at some point...
Well, I messed around a bit with the files and found that no matter what I changed in the supplied "witcher2.cfg.txt" file nothing changed in the game. However, I suspect that this thing is just a repackaged version of the files from http://www.kegetys.net/ so I renamed it to "antilag.cfg" (since that's what the file is called in that package) and the max fps command started working.

I don't think you need the .cfg file for the fix to work though, it just uses the default values.

Thrakier

Well, I messed around a bit with the files and found that no matter what I changed in the supplied "witcher2.cfg.txt" file nothing changed in the game. However, I suspect that this thing is just a repackaged version of the files from http://www.kegetys.net/ so I renamed it to "antilag.cfg" (since that's what the file is called in that package) and the max fps command started working.

I don't think you need the .cfg file for the fix to work though, it just uses the default values.

I see, so the dx9 wrapper fixes the lag (how?) and the .cfg is supposed to limit it to 30? Granted the game is noticable smoother with 30 even when you get around 50FPS all the time, which is a big annoyance. Imo the engine is a bit shitty performance wise. The micro stuttering is immense compared to other engines with unlocked framerates and the additional frame skipping is very noticable and laggy.

Enkidu

I see, so the dx9 wrapper fixes the lag (how?) and the .cfg is supposed to limit it to 30? Granted the game is noticable smoother with 30 even when you get around 50FPS all the time, which is a big annoyance. Imo the engine is a bit shitty performance wise. The micro stuttering is immense compared to other engines with unlocked framerates and the additional frame skipping is very noticable and laggy.
I'm not an expert on how it works, but I believe that by limiting the amount of frames that the engine will render ahead you will reduce input lag. I guess rendering a lot of frames ahead also causes the frame skipping in this game hence why it fixes that as well.

It's also not supposed to limit it to 30, the default settings in the .cfg file limits the fps to 60. However you can set it to whatever you want by editing the value in the .cfg file. I'm guessing the .dll file is hardcoded to look for the settings in "antilag.cfg" hence why you have to rename it in order for the settings to take effect.

Thrakier

Seems like I'm back in frameskipping land, scrolling is simply not smooth in this game. The fix seems to get ignored now on my nvidia card. I don't no if that's the reason. It worked perfectly fine for my 6850. Any idea why the fix is getting ignored now? Maybe because I didn't use the standard installation route/folder? Help please. :( That skipping is horrible. DXtory helpbs but I'm also out fo 60FPs in almost every dungeon then...

Enkidu

Seems like I'm back in frameskipping land, scrolling is simply not smooth in this game. The fix seems to get ignored now on my nvidia card. I don't no if that's the reason. It worked perfectly fine for my 6850. Any idea why the fix is getting ignored now? Maybe because I didn't use the standard installation route/folder? Help please. :( That skipping is horrible. DXtory helpbs but I'm also out fo 60FPs in almost every dungeon then...
I think you can set a "maximum pre-rendered frames" or something in the nvidia drivers, which should do the same thing as this fix did. I don't know why it stopped working though. Try making sure it's in the right place (same folder as the main executable) and try renaming the cfg to "antilag.cfg". Don't forget the extension, if you don't have windows set to show known file endings you will probably not see the .txt extension on the supplied file and fail to rename it correctly. Also make sure that the "RenderAheadLimit" variable is set to 2, if it doesn't work try setting it to 1 and see if that helps. Also, try setting the fps limit to 20 or something to make sure that the file is actually being loaded, if the fps isn't maxed out at 20 you know something is wrong with your setup.

Thrakier

So yeah the file is working. I can limit it to 20 etc. - if I set it to render only 1 frame ahead I get frame skipping AND tearing (despite vsync being activated)...

EDIT:

Seems like the fix doesn't make a difference anymore. The cfg works but the fix does nothing. Scrolling is just as jumpy as ever. It's very noticable when using a controller and then panning the camera around TW slowly...it's more a line of little jumps when an ongoing circle movement.

EDIT:

So even with locked 30FPS I get those minor jumps. It's much better overall with locked FPS but those little jump aren't gone when panning around the camera. BUT it's also always at the exact same place. So if you pan the camera around and it jumps at 1 o'clock it always jumps a bit at 1 o'clock...get what I mean? I guess it's just how the engine works and you have to live with it? Or is it a NVIDIA problem? I don't know what to think about it. Even with 60FPS (in the sewers or so) I get those jumps...maybe it's related to VSYNC, don't know...

EDIT2:

So yeah, with VSYNC deactivated the scrolling is smooth as butter @30FPS. But the tearing you get is MAD. MAD I say. Unplayable.

Enkidu

So yeah the file is working. I can limit it to 20 etc. - if I set it to render only 1 frame ahead I get frame skipping AND tearing (despite vsync being activated)...

EDIT:

Seems like the fix doesn't make a difference anymore. The cfg works but the fix does nothing. Scrolling is just as jumpy as ever. It's very noticable when using a controller and then panning the camera around TW slowly...it's more a line of little jumps when an ongoing circle movement.

EDIT:

So even with locked 30FPS I get those minor jumps. It's much better overall with locked FPS but those little jump aren't gone when panning around the camera. BUT it's also always at the exact same place. So if you pan the camera around and it jumps at 1 o'clock it always jumps a bit at 1 o'clock...get what I mean? I guess it's just how the engine works and you have to live with it? Or is it a NVIDIA problem? I don't know what to think about it. Even with 60FPS (in the sewers or so) I get those jumps...maybe it's related to VSYNC, don't know...

EDIT2:

So yeah, with VSYNC deactivated the scrolling is smooth as butter @30FPS. But the tearing you get is MAD. MAD I say. Unplayable.
It's strange that you are having such problems with the game, I haven't really got any problems at all myself. Have you tried forcing vsync at a driver level instead? Perhaps using 3D3Overrider. Maybe you could even try to use triple buffering but not vsync. I really hope you can get the game running properly because it's such a shame to have it ruined by technical issues.

Thrakier

It's strange that you are having such problems with the game, I haven't really got any problems at all myself. Have you tried forcing vsync at a driver level instead? Perhaps using 3D3Overrider. Maybe you could even try to use triple buffering but not vsync. I really hope you can get the game running properly because it's such a shame to have it ruined by technical issues.

Wait, so the engine runs smooth for you? Like no stuttering, micro-stuttering, frame skipping or whatever? Circling around the camera around your char is one consistent movement without little jumps? WITH Vsync on? (Vsync really makes the difference here, movement is much smoother with vsync, but the tearing is mad)

What's your system then? I tested it on a AMD and a NVIDIA System and in both cases the engine was running far from smooth.

Also I think the game is already using triple buffering for vsync anyway. Why should forcing vsync on a driver level make a difference? I'll test it anyway...

Hixx

Wait, so the engine runs smooth for you? Like no stuttering, micro-stuttering, frame skipping or whatever? Circling around the camera around your char is one consistent movement without little jumps? WITH Vsync on? (Vsync really makes the difference here, movement is much smoother with vsync, but the tearing is mad)

What's your system then? I tested it on a AMD and a NVIDIA System and in both cases the engine was running far from smooth.

Also I think the game is already using triple buffering for vsync anyway. Why should forcing vsync on a driver level make a difference? I'll test it anyway...

I have no problems either, just started playing again this week with a new PC, all settings max apart from ubersampling @ 45fps avg, though even in strenuous scenes when it drops to about 30, it doesn't stutter. I am having mega problems getting GTA: EFLC not to stutter when shifting the camera about though, go figure. Using d3doverrider instead of ingame vsync, mostly due to habit but I can swap and check if you want.

i5 2500k stock and a 560ti with a negligible factory OC.

Enkidu

I'm running with a 5870 and yeah, I have no problems at all. I do have that frame skipping fix installed, don't remember how it was before. The only performance issues for me is when it's loading when running around in the world. I'm guessing that's because I've only got ~750 MB ram on the GPU though.

Thrakier

I'm running with a 5870 and yeah, I have no problems at all. I do have that frame skipping fix installed, don't remember how it was before. The only performance issues for me is when it's loading when running around in the world. I'm guessing that's because I've only got ~750 MB ram on the GPU though.

Could you remove the fix and test how it's running?

@hixx

I have exactly the same system. But it's really hard to compare if we see the same or just have different cognition. It really makes no sense that the engine behaves completly different under the same conditions. And with 45FPS @60hz monitor it shouldn't be smooth anyway...

EDIT:
Also D3D OVerrider isn't working with TW2 for me...

EDIT:

So D3D Overrider not working is because of the "fix" dx9.dll. Wihtout it D3D is working but it adds nothing. Frame skipping is the same.

So, only way for a smooth gaming experience is forcing 30FPS, which is kinda dumb when you paid for hardware which is cabpable of more frames. Why the fix doesn't help anymore, I don't know. Maybe that's a ATI/Nvidia difference. Changing the setting in the driver setting for render ahead doesn't help as well.

Other way for smooth scrolling without skips is playing without vsync but lol, impossible. BTW, I noticed that without vsync the skipping isn't there anymore, but always in the moment it would skip WITH Vsync on you get tearing instead. Which is basically all the time. Horrible engine.

Witcher 2, VSYnc off (doesn't make a difference in this case), around 40FPS:

http://www.youtube.com/user/FBSeph#p/u/1/frgto0CSMIs

Witcher 2, VSync off, locked at 30FPS with frame limiter:

http://www.youtube.com/user/FBSeph#p/u/0/NrKyPes2fX8

http://en.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?/topic/22972-absolutly-massive-frame-skipping/page__st__20

Enkidu

I tried it with and without the fix and it did feel slightly more jerky without it I guess, but honestly it doesn't seem to be nearly on the scale that you are having. It was totally playable even without the fix. I will say though that it did reduce the input lag just as it's original goal is. It's not too noticeable at 40+ fps but I forgot to turn off a flash video once which caused my fps to drop down into the 20's and the difference was significant. With the fix I didn't even realize at first that my framerate was so low, since the camera movement felt so responsive.

Thrakier

I tried it with and without the fix and it did feel slightly more jerky without it I guess, but honestly it doesn't seem to be nearly on the scale that you are having. It was totally playable even without the fix. I will say though that it did reduce the input lag just as it's original goal is. It's not too noticeable at 40+ fps but I forgot to turn off a flash video once which caused my fps to drop down into the 20's and the difference was significant. With the fix I didn't even realize at first that my framerate was so low, since the camera movement felt so responsive.

The purpose of the fix is only to get rid of frame skipping. It doesn't relate to responsiveness at all and I never felt a difference in that regard. You can see how frame skipping behaves in the video I posted. Here is another video where it's clearly visible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZ25xqxCBDc

Like I said, that fix is only there to frepair frame skipping, that's what the guy intended who wrote it.

Sorry, but after seeing the game on two completly different systems behaving exactly the same I'd guess that it's more about different cognition than about real differences with the game. Some people just don't notice motion judder as well as others (sorry, please don't think it's arrogant, it's not meant that way!). But it's hard to tell where the problem really comes from. Mind you, playing with a mouse makes it less noticable because the movement is different than with a controller.

Only fact is that locking it to 30FPS and get rid of VSync (live with tearing) is more or less the only way to get motion relatively smooth (relative to other games it's still not very smooth).

Maybe at this point I'm just overseeing something, I don't know. But it's definitly the engine and not my settings/system I dare to say that.

Enkidu

That's probably about how the game looks without the fix for me, but It doesn't seem to happen too often, perhaps it depends on the area you are in. I guess there is simply a difference in how much we notice it though. But with the fix I really can't see any frame skipping at all. Also, I am fairly certain that the original purpose of the fix is to reduce input lag. Based on everything I've seen it's a repackage from http://www.kegetys.net/ where the description is:
A small Direct3D 'hack' that can help to reduce input lag in some Direct3D 9 games (ie. Silent Hunter 5) by limiting the amount of frames rendered ahead. It can also limit the framerate for smoother gameplay and reduced cpu/gpu use.
It just so happens that by limiting the frames rendered ahead you also eliminate frame skipping.

Thrakier

That's probably about how the game looks without the fix for me, but It doesn't seem to happen too often, perhaps it depends on the area you are in. I guess there is simply a difference in how much we notice it though. But with the fix I really can't see any frame skipping at all. Also, I am fairly certain that the original purpose of the fix is to reduce input lag. Based on everything I've seen it's a repackage from http://www.kegetys.net/ where the description is:

It just so happens that by limiting the frames rendered ahead you also eliminate frame skipping.

Ah, I see. Yeah, if you go back to the origin of the base I think you are right. The guy who posted it did so to get rid of the frame skipping though.

Whatever. As it seems it helps only with ATI cards. I don't know. Like I said before, the only way to get this game running REALLY smooth is 30FPS + no vsync. Everything else is stuttering/skipping more or less. And I never can get rid of the skipping even with stable 60FPS I get those when moving with the char.

I remember that the skipping was severe in Floatsam (watch my videos for the place).

Enkidu

Ah, I see. Yeah, if you go back to the origin of the base I think you are right. The guy who posted it did so to get rid of the frame skipping though.

Whatever. As it seems it helps only with ATI cards. I don't know. Like I said before, the only way to get this game running REALLY smooth is 30FPS + no vsync. Everything else is stuttering/skipping more or less. And I never can get rid of the skipping even with stable 60FPS I get those when moving with the char.

I remember that the skipping was severe in Floatsam (watch my videos for the place).
Ah yes, I loaded up a save in Flotsam without the fix and the skipping was quite severe. I do actually remember finding the skipping to be quite annoying when I first started playing the game when it came out, but I think I just got used to it after a while. Too bad that the fix apparently only works on ATI cards and that you seem to be more sensitive to the skipping than I am.

Thrakier

Ah yes, I loaded up a save in Flotsam without the fix and the skipping was quite severe. I do actually remember finding the skipping to be quite annoying when I first started playing the game when it came out, but I think I just got used to it after a while. Too bad that the fix apparently only works on ATI cards and that you seem to be more sensitive to the skipping than I am.

Hmm...yep. I'd love to have a fix that works for Nvidia as well. I don#t know why it doesn#t work, as I do understand it it should work...maybe because there is a driver setting? But changing that to 2 Frames doesn't make a difference as well. Skipping isn't as severe as with ATI too, it's minor. But it's still annoying becase it slows down and then goes fast again.That's really distracting I think. Shame that an otherwise pretty game wasn't optimised anymore to run smooth...I guess I need DXTORY + no vsync...the tearing is massive but it's still better than that skipping stuff. :(

Aeana

I started up a new game because I want to do the path I didn't do last time this time around, and with the nVidia alpha drivers that add frame limiting, it's perfect timing. So far the frame limiting works really smoothly - smoother than Dxtory ever was. I'm really pleased. Of course I wish I could run the game at 60 FPS, but my poor CPU won't allow it. :(

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I started up a new game because I want to do the path I didn't do last time this time around, and with the nVidia alpha drivers that add frame limiting, it's perfect timing. So far the frame limiting works really smoothly - smoother than Dxtory ever was. I'm really pleased. Of course I wish I could run the game at 60 FPS, but my poor CPU won't allow it. :(
Sounds great, hope they give WHQL version soon... I'll probably have to limit Witcher 2 to 24 fps... Lol. But it will be good for other games :)

Thrakier

Wait, how and where?

I just picked this up during the Steam sale and I was wondering if anyone knows if it's still safe to use the bigger fonts mod for HDTVs from the OP on the most recent version of the game? I saw that 2.0 wasn't compatible with older mods and didn't know if it included this one.

Echoes

The game runs like absolute crap on my system. On Ultra/1080p, it never gets above 20fps. On Low/1080p, it's 19~30. Unbelievable.

i7 2.2Ghz
GTX 560M 3GB
16GB RAM
SSD

Running the latest stable driver. Not gonna bother with the beta driver as it screws my Skyrim (and doesn't fix Witcher). FWIW: Skyrim runs 40~60 on Ultra/1080p.

Any tips?

Top Bottom