• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 runs at 1080p ULTRA ~60 fps on a 980

Bizzquik

It's an nvidia branded game, so I would think an SLI profile will be coming out alongside the game.

AMD guys might have to wait until post release to get a crossfire profile though. Hopefully not.

I think you are probably right, as that seems to be how these things generally go. And it annoys the hell out of me.

It seems AMD products are always 20-40% less expensive than similarly-spec'd Nvidia products - so I buy the AMD product - then regret it when a game first releases and I have to wait for the developer (and AMD) to optimize it for AMD GPU's.
Sometimes I wonder why I even bother with two AMD GPUs; Crossfire rarely gets optimized for the titles I want.

Lulubop

I kind of hate my 780Ti. Cost so much money, and was quickly made obsolete by the cheaper 980 card. Don't really want to upgrade only a year after buying my card just for a game that I likely won't really get that invested in anyway. I've been looking for anything that could put my card through its paces and now that it's here, I'll have to ditch this card to actually run the game on max settings? PC master race indeed.

Obsolete.
Obsolete.
780ti is obsolete.

erawsd

Sounds great, I guess optimization is going nicely. No reason the next footage shouldnt be running on these settings, I believe they said a new trailer should be out this month.

Qassim

I would hope a $550 GPU could handle this game @ 60fps on the highest settings. Would be rather ridiculous if that was not the case.

I hate this attitude *so much*. It's terrible for PC games. Stop trying to turn our platform into consoles where games are capped by a current piece of hardware.

So frustrating. Just because we have some weird people who find it necessary to be able to brag that they can "Max" a game, we'll see a reduction in developers who include ultra enthusiast sand other 'for the future' settings.

People need to get over this stupid obsession of being able to "Max" games, because it's a detriment to the platform.

pestul

I hate this attitude *so much*. It's terrible for PC games. Stop trying to turn our platform into consoles where games are capped by a current piece of hardware.

So frustrating.
Exactly. How quickly people forget what The Witcher 2 Uber sampling/Ultra did to the GPU scene. We need these kind of games that make us cry a little on the inside when ultra costs over $1000 to achieve. Play on high everything and enjoy it.

man...I think I might just be better off buying this on consoles. It would run better than on my PC I think.

I have a gtx 760 4GB, with an i5-3350p. I feel like it would look a shit ton better just on ps4 or xbox one. Already got it for super cheap through the buy/sell/trade thread though. Might have to double dip for a console version

Qassim

man...I think I might just be better off buying this on consoles. It would run better than on my PC I think.

I have a gtx 760 4GB, with an i5-3350p. I feel like it would look a shit ton better just on ps4 or xbox one. Already got it for super cheap through the buy/sell/trade thread though. Might have to double dip for a console version

What makes you think any of this?

Sheytan

That's reduced my expectations for the Ultra settings :(

I was hoping for some card destroying settings, hopefully some still exist but aren't included in the Ultra preset.

The sad thing if they did do that then people would just complain that the game is badly optimized

viveks86

That's reduced my expectations for the Ultra settings :(

I was hoping for some card destroying settings, hopefully some still exist but aren't included in the Ultra preset.

With Übersampling and 4k, there is no shortage of card destroying settings. Even the ultra preset doesn't necessarily mean every individual setting is maxed out (especially AA, tessellation etc)

OmegaDL50

I guess my i5 3570k and HD7950 3GB system is going to weep trying to run this game. I don't want to max it. I just want to run it at 60fps at 1080p at a visual level beyond that of the PS4 and XB1.

Boy I wish Skylark and Pascal were here. I promised myself I wouldn't update until I could get a Skylake CPU and Pascal GPU.

I kind of hate my 780Ti. Cost so much money, and was quickly made obsolete by the cheaper 980 card. Don't really want to upgrade only a year after buying my card just for a game that I likely won't really get that invested in anyway. I've been looking for anything that could put my card through its paces and now that it's here, I'll have to ditch this card to actually run the game on max settings? PC master race indeed.

That's PC gaming, sadly.

No matter whatever you buy, it'll be outclassed in less than 6 months. So you better live with it, or spend lots of money each year. I'm happy with my 3.5GB 970, but it'll be like crap in a year. That's life for us PC gamers.

erawsd

So frustrating. Just because we have some weird people who find it necessary to be able to brag that they can "Max" a game, we'll see a reduction in developers who include ultra enthusiast sand other 'for the future' settings.

People need to get over this stupid obsession of being able to "Max" games, because it's a detriment to the platform.

At 1080/60? Yeah, modern hardware should be able to handle that with no sweat. Its like "maxing out" Crysis at 1028x768.

Qassim

At 1080/60? Yeah, modern hardware should be able to handle that with no sweat. Its like "maxing out" Crysis at 1028x768.

So you're saying a CDPR shouldn't include a ultra enthusiast texture setting (example) that requires 6GB VRAM, or some insane LoD distance settings, or some special lighting or particle effects, just because some people can't handle the idea that the settings screen for them isn't on all the max values?

If so, that's really dumb. Developers should be able to include settings that either requires multiple GPUs, or even GPUs that don't necessarily even exist yet (to run at reasonable framerate). That's one of the best things about PC gaming. Limiting available settings to what is possible on single high end GPUs available today would be a bad thing for the platform.

Kinthalis

Banned
Earlier in this thread people were saying that consoles would be on High settings. I will most likely be able to play it on low-medium on my pc, is that incorrect?

Keep reading. Turns out it wasn't confirmed to be high on consoles. The opposite. They said the textures on PS4 were LOWER than high on Pc, LOD was like half of PC on high, and shaodws were of lower wuality too. Also, it's running at 30 fPS.

Consoles will run this game at a mix of low, medium and high (moslty medium), just like most multi-plats. Your particular rig should compete fine with a PS4.

That's PC gaming, sadly.

No matter whatever you buy, it'll be outclassed in less than 6 months. So you better live with it, or spend lots of money each year. I'm happy with my 3.5GB 970, but it'll be like crap in a year. That's life for us PC gamers.

I'm finicky as fuck, and i'm still rocking a GTX 670 without too much envy, so not really. Feeling compelled spend past $400 every three years on video cards is just for the people who have the disposable income to justify it.

What you describe was the case 15 years ago though.

Kinthalis

Banned
That's PC gaming, sadly.

I don't know what's so sad about this. Your 780ti will continue to give you that same level of performance going forward. That's nto going to change.

erawsd

So you're saying a CDPR shouldn't include a ultra enthusiast texture setting (example) that requires 6GB VRAM just because some people can't handle the idea that the settings screen for them isn't on all the max values?

If so, that's really dumb. Developers should be able to include settings that either requires multiple GPUs, or even GPUs that don't necessarily even exist yet (to run at reasonable framerate). That's one of the best things about PC gaming.

No, Im sayIng that enthusiasts aren't gaming at 1080p. There is nothing impressive about "maxing out" a game at that resolution in 2015.

lord

Good news! This is much better than I expected, bad part is that it makes me want to buy a 980 when I want to wait for Pascal since I JUST updated my CPU/MB.

Qassim

4770k and a 780ti what can I expect. 1080p 60fps? Much less?

1. We don't know the available settings and all the performance impact of them
2. I'm sure (if the info in the OP is accurate) you'll be able to play the game at 1080p60fps depending on the settings.

Elsolar

I'm hoping this means I can just disable some of the Nvidia-specific effects (which inevitably cost way more than they're worth in terms of visuals/performance) and hit 1080p/60 on my GTX-970. Have they confirmed whether Ultra settings include any kind of MSAA? Because that would be another obvious one that could be disabled.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
That's PC gaming, sadly.

The real problem is that the last year was basically a black hole for any games that could have utilized that "high end" graphics card that cost me an arm and a leg. On my snazzy new build, I was running Octodad and Kentucky Route Zero and Jazzpunk, as there weren't really any bigger games that I felt like I needed to play. Finally, games are coming out this year, but they are too advanced for my card.

I guess I'm just venting, but it does feel like Nvidia sold me a bill of goods and I was stupid enough to go for it.

Qassim

The real problem is that the last year was basically a black hole for any games that could have utilized that "high end" graphics card that cost me an arm and a leg. On my snazzy new build, I was running Octodad and Kentucky Route Zero and Jazzpunk, as there weren't really any bigger games that I felt like I needed to play. Finally, games are coming out this year, but they are too advanced for my card.

I guess I'm just venting, but it does feel like Nvidia sold me a bill of goods and I was stupid enough to go for it.

There's no game that is too advanced for a 780Ti and I doubt there will be for some years.

If you're obsessed with these arbitrary strings in the settings menu being set to their max value, then you should stop playing high end PC games.

Durante

Earlier in this thread people were saying that consoles would be on High settings. I will most likely be able to play it on low-medium on my pc, is that incorrect?
Whatever the console settings end up being, your PC will most likely be able to match and likely slightly exceed it.

viveks86

Uh, that depends entirely on what the game is rendering. Resolution is far from everything.

What are you asking for? You want devs to spend resources on features that less than 1% of their player base can use even though they pay the exact same amount of money? This isn't research. It's business. For ultra high end gamers, it's really about cranking everything up to the max including resolution and AA, amongst other things. Don't expect features that are not even supported by most cards. Crysis did that because they sold the engine. CDPR isn't selling tech.

There's no game that is too advanced for a 780Ti and I doubt there will be for some years.

If you're obsessed with these arbitrary strings in the settings menu being set to their max value, then you should stop playing high end PC games.

Geforce Experience takes away a lot of the pain of moving those sliders down to merely "high", or "medium".

Just click optimize and everything looks and runs pretty well and I can stay ignorant of my aging hardware.

I feel like a new man.

Top Bottom