• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyborg

I dont get the cardgame :( lost my game in the introduction! :( But I dont get it anymore, is there a good video somewhere?

aku:jiki

Ugh, there's a quest that you get just after you enter Velen (
defend this dude's brother in a field
) that I just don't have the survivability for. Need to expand my combat options I think.
It's because you're heading the wrong way. You're not supposed to take the more difficult situations in the east or north on right away, you're supposed to turn around and head west where the enemy levels are lower.

Beepos

This is without a doubt the best game I've played since like forever. I know it's probably just the newness of it, and there are definitely things that can be improved just like every game, but jeez, it's literally like playing a novel. Incredible.

DryvBy

Taking breaks from Destiny, I kept coming back to this during my 3-day weekend.
Defeating that griffin on Death March in only 3 attempts felt epic.
My wife and I were both cheering.

hard if you want a challenging game and don't fear to have to bring with yourself tons of food to heal yourself..and the occasional bullshit fight where the camera and lock system don't work as advised and you get maimed
if you wanna play a more relaxing game..go with normal (second level of difficulty)...there you heal just by meditating and after the first part the game is much more forgiving in terms of damage you can sustain
OK thanks. As for simulating witcher 2 saves, if I have absolutely no idea what's happened in the previous games am I better off not simulating the save?

Apt101

Mopping up points of interest way over-leveled. A pack of cannibals closing in. I deflect one arrow back and kill the first archer. Do the same to another. My first sword swing sends three cannibals flying into pieces. That final cannibal who charged me after seeing that was one brave mother fucker. So I put away my sword and beat him to death.

The only time I've used lock on in this game was at the very beginning when it shows you how to lock on. Just aiming or moving towards the enemy or enemies you want to hit always works for me, so well that I don't even think about it. Was the same way in W2, though this time I'm playing on PS4 with a controller, and it still manages to work.

I've fund it helpful during some indoor battles when I want to stop two or more from flanking me.

Stoze

The only time I've used lock on in this game was at the very beginning when it shows you how to lock on. Just aiming or moving towards the enemy or enemies you want to hit always works for me, so well that I don't even think about it. Was the same way in W2, though this time I'm playing on PS4 with a controller, and it still manages to work.

Pikma

Banned
Just heard the
"This is a material world and I'm a material girl"
line, I literally burst out laughing. Man, the amount of love put into this game really shows.

Number45

There are multiple ways to get the pass so don't worry about it. That guy's probably better off dead anyways.

It's because you're heading the wrong way. You're not supposed to take the more difficult situations in the east or north on right away, you're supposed to turn around and head west where the enemy levels are lower.
Thanks. I thought I'd see what was around while making my way to the crossroads! I took down several waves, but eventually they overwhelmed me. Still getting used to the combat, and haven't experimented outside of the standard weapons/signs yet.

Well,
have you done the mission with Keira Metz where you go into a cave and end up fighting one of the Wild Hunt dudes? After that, you will emerge from another exit with a boat - take that boat Northwest for a while (towards the orange marker.) Once you get close to the marker, you have to jump out and continue on foot in the swamp fighting your way past several Drowners etc. Then, just follow the path to the marker and you'll come up on Crookback Bog with Anna (the wife).

I no longer have an orange marker for this quest. I've done everything mentioned here.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Does anybody have a worthwhile Monster deck? Mine is pure shit. All close combat low # cards. If anyone has a blizzard card, I get fucked.

patapuf

I should really just trust what the fairytales of my childhood taught me.

Everytime i thought "nah, that can't be it" it comes back to bite me in the ass.

Fliesen

Interested in hearing the answer to this as well. I failed it recently too.

i recall just getting a cash reward from the dwarf leader. Nothing special. No real story relevance (as far as i can tell)

It's basically just the "swordfighty" approach to finding W
horeson
J
unior
's location.

UberLevi

Just ran into an amusing side quest at level 30 on Skellige. It's called A Tower Outta Nowheres.
It involves a mage who's been locked out of a tower's access due to a system called a Defensive Regulatory Magicon (DRM) because he's not the owner of the tower. And during the quest, you look for a book that abbreviates to GOG (Gottfried's Omni-opening Grimoire).
A pretty hilarious nod, to be honest.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Priscilla is a qtpie :3

Seanspeed

Banned
This may sound nuts, but I kinda wish there was a way to toggle off exp gain. It's just impossible at this point for me to not be over-leveled for either the main quests or the majority of sidequests I pick up, and when you're playing quests at or a bit above your level, both the gameplay and rewards are more rewarding imo.

It's not a big deal though honestly, it's just part of open world quest design. But as someone who likes to jump between doing main quests and big chunks of side quests, it does irk me a bit.
I think my complaint with the XP stuff is that it seems so imbalanced. Certain quests can single handedly gain me an entire level(even certain sidequests), while others grant me piddly amounts of it.

Mister Wolf

For those that hate when the enemy starts blocking
there is a focus attack like slash that you charge and release in the swordmanship tree that powers through any guard and does tremendous damage the longer you hold it. It has completely changed how i fight since getting it.

Fliesen

btw. do the rewards of "Guarded Treasure" PoI on the map scale to your level (up to a certain max. lvl) ?

i've beaten multiple guardians of such treasure who were 6-8 levels above mine and always received loot i would have been able to equip straight away.

not like i care a lot, since i'm going all out feline gear anyways. still, would be interesting if clearing Velen in its entirety at lvl 16 actually cost me a good item or some coin from resale values.

Forkball

Do the places of haunting icons go grey? i found one near some F town. It was a guy hacking at a rock with a pickaxe. I'm not sure if there's more there or if those icons never go grey.

Also these runes that cost over 1000 coins are outrageous. I have 5000 coins, but I really don't want to spend a huge chunk of it on a single rune.

aku:jiki

btw. do the rewards of "Guarded Treasure" PoI on the map scale to your level (up to a certain max. lvl) ?
Yes. I think pretty much everything can scale down.

I really hate scaling. If you have to include it, also include some way for the player to bring the weapon's stats back up, otherwise it can easily turn into a punishment for exploring rather than a reward...

Fliesen

Do the places of haunting icons go grey? i found one near some F town. It was a guy hacking at a rock with a pickaxe. I'm not sure if there's more there or if those icons never go grey.

Also these runes that cost over 1000 coins are outrageous. I have 5000 coins, but I really don't want to spend a huge chunk of it on a single rune.

i believe that guy was merely meant as an indicator that there was something hidden behind the wall of rocks (which you clear with Aard or
the illusion-clearing talisman
you have, i don't remember).

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Finally found my way up to the mountain with the huge tree and theres a cave entrance. Bloody locked and need a key. :(

vumpcf.jpg

Ray Wonder

i recall just getting a cash reward from the dwarf leader. Nothing special. No real story relevance (as far as i can tell)

It's basically just the "swordfighty" approach to finding W
horeson
J
unior
's location.
You can get some coin out of it. I did half, and he still paid me 180 crowns. Not bad for a job half-done.

Ah, ok. Seems like I didn't miss too much. Although Cleaver did seem like he might have been a cool character.

They really need to change it so you can redo a failed quest.

Yeah, I agree. I failed a protection quest in Novigrad that I wanted to do over.

Exploring villages is really starting to get on my nerves. Controlling Geralt in confined spaces.... good god, it's awful.

And the combat system, while vastly superior to TW2's, is really starting to show the variety of flaws it has.

But man, Gwent, now that's a game. Fuck Witching. I'm a Gwent player now. Level 7, exploring the Isles, looking for Gwent players. Tis the life.

Moff

Is the Gangs of Novigrad quest worth doing? I just failed it by progressing the story.

as I understood it, the gangs of novigrad is an alternate way to do the quest wehre you need to find whoreson.
witthout the gangs you infiltrate the locations, with the gangs you simply kill everyone in the locations.
I failed the gangs quest, too, because I prefer infiltration, so I don't know if there is anything more to it after that.

Fliesen

Yes. I think pretty much everything can scale down.

I really hate scaling. If you have to include it, also include some way for the player to bring the weapon's stats back up, otherwise it can easily turn into a punishment for exploring rather than a reward...

the reward is being able to cross that PoI off my map ;)

yesterday i went to clear 2 "highlvl" (lvl 22) basilisk or wyvern nests in eastern velen just to find out that they were part of some lvl 23 witcher contract quest there as well.

Similarly, i keep "stumbling" upon parts of the treasure hunt quests.

Stoze

I think my complaint with the XP stuff is that it seems so imbalanced. Certain quests can single handedly gain me an entire level(even certain sidequests), while others grant me piddly amounts of it.

Exactly. The problem is the quest exp scaling; If I do a level 10 quest at level 13 that is not too long and requires no combat, I shouldn't get good exp, but instead I gain an entire level, which would likely be the same outcome if I did it at level 9 or 10. Happened to me during one of the main quests in Novigrad.

Like I said, it's not a huge deal, but it does hurts some of the rewarding aspects of the game for me.

Beefy

You should use them to kill loads of wraiths and get emerald dust.

Stoze

Level 15, 37 hours, and I haven't even been to the Skellige Isles.

Should... should I go there?

If you want, may want to do a couple quests first though.

But that's coming from me. Probably around 70 hours played now, level 14, just did the bathhouse part in Novigrad. Haven't touched Skellig or outside part of Novigrad/North of Velen.

d3vnull

Just crafted the complete cat set. Why the hell does the feline crossbow require lvl 29 when all the other parts require 13 or 14? Doesn't make sense...

heringer

This is without a doubt the best game I've played since like forever. I know it's probably just the newness of it, and there are definitely things that can be improved just like every game, but jeez, it's literally like playing a novel. Incredible.

It might be the honeymoon phase speaking, but I'm seriously considering if this isn't one of the best games ever made. Awesome protagonist, memorable characters, great writting, wealth of compelling side quests, huge, atmospheric world, beautiful graphics and music, tons of stuff to do, great combat system, etc.

It just brings me back to my favorites open world games ever, Red Dead Redemption and Xenoblade (if you consider that open world), but Witcher 3 might even surpass those.

Ray Wonder

If you want, may want to do a couple quests first though.

But that's coming from me. Probably around 70 hours played now, level 14, just did the bathhouse part in Novigrad. Haven't touched Skellig or outside part of Novigrad/North of Velen.

Wow, you must be going over this game with a fine tooth comb. I'm lvl 15 at 35hrs. I wish I had enough time to do that. Sometimes I find myself rushing through sidequests, and not really paying attention to what I find at places of interest. I usually find it's "run to question mark, quickly loot/kill whatever is needed, open map, mark new question mark, repeat."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom