• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There are approximately 3,000 castles in Scotland.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
A good ol historic thread, sorry climate woke gender freaks if this thread isn’t on your level.

FortAugustus-0395-07092006.jpg.jpg
Here’s 8 of the best

What does GAF think of this place? Castles are pretty crazy tbh these responses are gonna be good.

Hudo

Gold Member
A good ol historic thread, sorry climate woke gender freaks if this thread isn’t on your level.

FortAugustus-0395-07092006.jpg.jpg
Here’s 8 of the best

What does GAF think of this place? Castles are pretty crazy tbh these responses are gonna be good.
How many hitpoints does it have?

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Scotland is absolutely gorgeous. Would love to visit someday, but their over-sensitivity these days may make that hard.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Surprised Dunnottar isn't on there. That's a nice castle. Harlech castle is also a belter of a traditional castle

Go_Ly_Dow

Who needs Game of Thrones when you have good old UK history to dive into.

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth

Confused Tom Hanks GIF

Mate you need to step away from the internet and start removing some of those bumper stickers your oversized SUV no doubt has...

Anyways, Castles.. I got 2 near me, 1 was built in 1100's and the other 1800's both very different and would regularly visit them with the kids when they where young, Ireland is full of them

Solarstrike

Gold Member
Could imagine life in a castle. Constantly cold and damp, especially in the winter. When you talk to someone or make a noise, everything echoes and is amplified, smh. Then there's the life around it in the village. Trailing through muck and mud when it rains, or the constant fear and rumor of disease. That said, the construction of them are truly some of mankinds greatest achievements. Could imagine the stuff yet to be found in them; treasures, etc.

22:22:22

Banned
Wonder what the wiki says about each castle's function, the year it was founded and how many years it took to build.

And how they are used anno 2024.

SirTerry-T

Gold Member
ZtW1kNp.jpeg

Nothing beats Neushwanstein Castle in Germany. A fairy tale castle that has been an inspiration for many works of art (mainly Disney's Cinderella castle and Elden Rings Raya Lucaria Academy)
A.K.A The "Bomb Jack" Castle.
gQHWYvI.png

Also it's owner was a bit of a loony.
Great taste in Castles, though as an actual fortified stronghold I'm not sure how effective Neushwanstein Castle would be.

Last edited:

Trilobit

Gold Member
Playing Kingdom Come obsessively has caused me to dig into Czech culture/history

I've heard good things about Kingdom Come. How steep is the learning curve and is it immersive when you play it? Like you almost feel you are the character?

Could imagine life in a castle. Constantly cold and damp, especially in the winter. When you talk to someone or make a noise, everything echoes and is amplified, smh. Then there's the life around it in the village. Trailing through muck and mud when it rains, or the constant fear and rumor of disease. That said, the construction of them are truly some of mankinds greatest achievements. Could imagine the stuff yet to be found in them; treasures, etc.

From an article that has many more interesting tidbits about castles:

"Many of us think of them as dark, gray, cold places that must have been miserable to live in, but in their heydays, they were brightly colored, warm, and comfortable."
Listverse

My own view has been that they are cold, dark and mysterious. Much thanks to Scrooge McDuck comics.
hxi5n8l.png

But that just made me want to spend a night in one even more. Imagine sitting in an armchair in a smaller hall with a massive fire in the fireplace keeping you warm. You sit there staring into it whilst sipping on whiskey.

And then you go sleeping upstairs in a room that's rather cold, but you have the thickest and warmest blanket imaginable that keeps you snug and cozy all night.

22:22:22

Banned
Regarding wikipedia all these castle and "churces" were build between 1820 and 1950.

Yes. Brain fucking insane masonry during the mud streets and horse and buggy time.

And with the same roman esque architecture ALL OVER THE WORLD.

Wow. Amazing.

Doors 4 times the height of our current length.

Furnaces without a smoke stack.

*Cough Eather

Look up the fires of ALL the big cities.

Most threes being a mere 200 years old

Old zeppelin photos.

Old world building being
buried etc.

Fucking clown historical narrative.

Mr Rogers Clown GIF

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I've heard good things about Kingdom Come. How steep is the learning curve and is it immersive when you play it? Like you almost feel you are the character?
Immersion is amazing. Wandering the forest trails is ASMR very lifelike in my opinion. There is a learning curve but you have to be persistent. It's not Souls like hard. Combat is very rewarding when you learn how to utilize it.

jason10mm

Gold Member

From an article that has many more interesting tidbits about castles:

"Many of us think of them as dark, gray, cold places that must have been miserable to live in, but in their heydays, they were brightly colored, warm, and comfortable."
Listverse

My own view has been that they are cold, dark and mysterious. Much thanks to Scrooge McDuck comics.
hxi5n8l.png

But that just made me want to spend a night in one even more. Imagine sitting in an armchair in a smaller hall with a massive fire in the fireplace keeping you warm. You sit there staring into it whilst sipping on whiskey.

And then you go sleeping upstairs in a room that's rather cold, but you have the thickest and warmest blanket imaginable that keeps you snug and cozy all night.
If I ever win one of those massive lotteries my goal is to buy an offshore island fortification, modernize it just a wee bit, and then have a thick glass windowed room where I can sit in an overstuffed leather chair, sipping warmed brandy, reading an old first english edition of...Dumas? Verne? whilst a RAGING storm breaks outside...

85iMo03.jpeg

and AI art for the win!

CYWTE8H.jpeg

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
If I ever win one of those massive lotteries my goal is to buy an offshore island fortification, modernize it just a wee bit, and then have a thick glass windowed room where I can sit in an overstuffed leather chair, sipping warmed brandy, reading an old first english edition of...Dumas? Verne? whilst a RAGING storm breaks outside...

85iMo03.jpeg

and AI art for the win!

CYWTE8H.jpeg

With just the upkeep, and the fact that you’d have to ship everything in, you’d need to win quite a few lotteries.

AJUMP23

ZtW1kNp.jpeg

Nothing beats Neushwanstein Castle in Germany. A fairy tale castle that has been an inspiration for many works of art (mainly Disney's Cinderella castle and Elden Rings Raya Lucaria Academy)

Bankrupted a country to build it, but I say worth it.

I think America could use a few cool castles to help round out their history.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I'm pretty confident there are not 3000 castles In Scotland. In the UK? Sure, but just in Scotland? Highly doubtful.

Anyway, one of my favourite castles to visit is Warwick in England. Beautiful castle with a rich history. Once home to Richard Neville, 16th Earl of Warwick, AKA Warwick the Kingmaker (1428 -1471)

sOCA4BC.jpeg

Also, cool bit of history about this castle for any Americans reading this. During the English Civil War (1642 - 1651) the castle had a certain prisoner called Edward Disney. Yes. That's right. A relative of the famous Walt Disney was locked up in the castle in 1642. He was a Royalist and only escaped being executed because he was a wealthy nobleman.

cIxCZPe.jpeg

Top Bottom