• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titan X announced, 12GB framebuffer, 8 billion transistors.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
it's crazy to think that this video card could fit the entirety of the contents of PS4's RAM at a single time into its VRAM pool and still have enough RAM left over to run assassin's creed unity with higher quality settings than the console version

Principate

Saint Titanfall
it's crazy to think that this video card could fit the entirety of the contents of PS4's RAM at a single time into its VRAM pool and still have enough RAM left over to run assassin's creed unity with higher quality settings than the console version

Damn that is crazy.

s3ou1t.gif

That is one of the best GIFs I've ever seen. Holy shit.

AJLma

Nice, sounds like a beast. I'll wait for the pricing/reviews/390x though, not really sure if I need a Titan.

Are Titan's supposed to be better for image and video editing?

Jesus.

I don't. I find crazy the IBM's Big Blue makes this card look like baby's play.

Ramza

Banned

Hoy shit, when you look at it that way

AmyS

Take with the usual
HgwA1lz.jpg

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-gtx-titan-x-revealed-gdc-2015/

Nvidia Geforce GTX TITAN X Unveiled – GM200 ‘Big Daddy Maxwell’, 12GB VRam and 8 Billion Transistors

Note: Very little information was officially released by Nvidia – most of the information contained in this piece stems from past leaks.

The NVIDIA Geforce GTX TITAN X has just been unveiled at Epic Games GDC 2015 conference. To be honest, we were not expecting this card to surface so soon – but the surprise is a very pleasant one. Ladies and gentlemen, rocking 8 Billion transistors, the full fledged big daddy Maxwell core and 12 GB of graphics memory: The NVIDIA Geforce GTX TITAN X.

The first thing you will notice is that the GTX TITAN X has left the standard silver color scheming for a more interesting looking black tone. Even though the name of the card is actually the TITAN X, the actual ‘X’ is not present on the shroud rather, only the “TITAN” branding is visible. You can also see the tagline “Inspired by Gamers, Built by Nvidia” present on the boxing. The NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan X design scheme is similar to several Titan cards before it however the color scheme as suggested has been updated to a more aesthetically pleasing look. Many enthusiasts who have owned a GeForce GTX Titan GPU before the Titan X have been asking for a Titan Black revision, they did get one but it wasn’t a complete black design as compared to the latest beauty.

You might remember the GM200 leak from a few weeks back and the fact that we know its specifications as well. Even though that was most likely a Quadro M6000 part the TITAN-X will most probably have the same basic specs, with a slight chance of Nvidia introducing a cut die initially. The full un-cut GM200 has a 384-bit bus, 12GB of vRAM and 3072 CUDA Cores (which translates to 24 SMM). A cut variant of the GM200 could have 20 or 22 SMMs which equate to 2560 and 2816 CUDA Cores respectively. Given below is a screenshot of the actual tease. As for the chip, the GM200 is a massive die measuring at around 600mm2, whereas Kepler GK110 had a die of 561mm2 .

NVIDIA’s Maxwell core architecture is made to be highly efficienct and we have already seen it in action before with the GM204, GM206 and GM107 chips. GM200 being the flagship of the series is meant to leverage the performance per watt design to greater levels. Seen in the picture, we can note that the card draws power from a single 6 pin and a single 8-pin power source. NVIDIA’s previous Titan cards drew around 225-250W of power and Maxwell GM200 might end up in the same range however delivering much better core performance improvement. The card has the reference Maxwell display configuration of DVI, HDMI and three display ports while SLI configuration is provided through 2 gold fingers that allow up to 4-Way multi-GPU functionality.

The more surprising thing about this launch is that NVIDIA is now launching their flagship chip faster than ever as compared to Kepler generation which had to wait for a year to see the launch of GK110 (GTX TItan). In only eight month time difference since September, NVIDIA has announced their next flagship entry to consumers and professionals with an absolute beast of memory and compute performance.

As far as the pricing rumor goes , that is approximately $350 more than the standard pricing of TITANs (single GPU). TITAN-X will extend the TITAN branding from Nvidia and will be equipped with a GM200 and ships with 12 GB of vRam. The TITAN branding was originally designed to target professionals on a budget who can’t afford a Quadro card or don’t need one, which means that double precision is one of the main selling points. This implies that the GM200 has double precision unlocked, unlike the gaming oriented GM204 which had forgone any decent double precision performance in favor of higher SP horsepower. Ofcourse, the fact that Nvidia is featuring the card as the top of the line Quadro Flagship M6000 also hints the same thing. There’s a lot more we are waiting to know about the GeForce GTX Titan X but currently, you can find the preliminary specifications as listed below. Do note that NVIDIA might be presenting a detailed overview of their GM200 core architecture along with the Titan X at GTC 2015 which is just two weeks away.

rYWsrAs.jpg

Smokey

lol

AlterOdin

Jesus. This looks good.

I always been a reasonable (I think) buyer, always buying second best, often after a pricedrop, to try to get as much "bang for bucks" as possible (in the "high end" segment).

But been waiting for Maxwell a while now, and with the dawn of VR, 4K, and downsampling tech; it's really tempting.

Really teared about this one. Think it's a buy, if it's not a disaster/disappointing in benchmarks.

Smokey

Your are right Smokey, I let that comment get the best of me. It did reek of stupidity and I fell for it. Hehe.

So you getting 1 or 2 of these? I am eyeing SLI, I think SLI will easily give us 4k/60fps at max setting in all games (assuming here).

Dunno. In planning stages. I want to upgrade to X99 platform and a 5960x first. Probably do 2 tho.

Hawk269

Why so low Hawk?

Aim for the stars.

I game on Panasonic 4k 65" Screen which is limited to 60fps. I know you have been on me to go beyond that for the better part of 2 years, but I just can't game at a desk with a monitor, just seems to small to me. I prefer gaming on my sofa, 7.1 audio sound system and my large display. I will never say never though as I have been thinking about it just to have a high frame rate monitor, but for now I like my set up. Hehehe

Big BLue is shit in comparison to the universe. Take that Nvidia!

Multi-universe makes your universe look like childs play.

Seriously tho how do people with common sense compare two differently priced pieces of hardware... this and people seeing white or black on pictures of dresses that consist of neither.

mkenyon

Banned
I game on Panasonic 4k 65" Screen which is limited to 60fps. I know you have been on me to go beyond that for the better part of 2 years, but I just can't game at a desk with a monitor, just seems to small to me. I prefer gaming on my sofa, 7.1 audio sound system and my large display. I will never say never though as I have been thinking about it just to have a high frame rate monitor, but for now I like my set up. Hehehe
Is it not one of the 4K screens that does 120@1080p?

atr0cious

Also, lol @ nVidia not announcing this last night.

They could have salvaged that conference.

Lol, thanks for the quick laugh. Last night was utterly amazing, especially when they had this in their pocket and a paid audience hooting for a chromecast redesigned by Tim "The ToolMan" Taylor.

Hawk269

Dunno. In planning stages. I want to upgrade to X99 platform and a 5960x first. Probably do 2 tho.

Same for me. I been planning out a rebuild for some time, just waiting for the new GPU's. I also want to see the heat/fan noise output on these since I love to go H20 with my rigs now, but I know a few friends that are avid H20 guys that did not do it with the 980 since they ran pretty cool and it was not needed as much as older cards.

Timing wise could not be better as I get my bonus from work next month so putting aside for a new build should no problem and with 2 of these cards. My big question is weather I would need to go H20 at all even with the CPU? It is all going to come down to the benchmarks and heat/noise levels before I decide on a true rebuild.

Newboi

This card sounds awesome, but Nvidia will definitely be in pricing trouble with this compared to AMDs flagship offering. Hopefully AMD will price their flagship at the $500 - $600 range, which will force GPU prices in general to come down.

As much as I would love to upgrade, my SLI 670s should suffice until winter/early 2016. architectural advancements coming from both AMD and Nvidia on 16nm FinFet look to be killer.

GHG

Fuck me sideways. I need this.

I'm still pissed at nvidia for the 970 shenanigans but if I get this then I should be set for 3 years possibly.

mkenyon

Banned
Same for me. I been planning out a rebuild for some time, just waiting for the new GPU's. I also want to see the heat/fan noise output on these since I love to go H20 with my rigs now, but I know a few friends that are avid H20 guys that did not do it with the 980 since they ran pretty cool and it was not needed as much as older cards.

Timing wise could not be better as I get my bonus from work next month so putting aside for a new build should no problem and with 2 of these cards. My big question is weather I would need to go H20 at all even with the CPU? It is all going to come down to the benchmarks and heat/noise levels before I decide on a true rebuild.
TBH, with your CaseLabs, you probably don't even need water for most of it. Since you have the infrastructure though, what you're really asking about is two additional blocks for the GPUs. Seems to be a pretty small difference, in terms of investment, to get the whole thing done.

The CPU block will carry over just fine. I assume the pump and everything is still gravy too?

Top Bottom