• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TitanFall (EA/Respawn, PC/XB1/360, Spring 2014, Game Informer Leak, All Info In OP)

daveo42

Banned
Correct me if I'm wrong. But, it's easier to port up than port down. The lowest common denominator factor comes into play when developing for multi platform.

Also it seems that developers are going to try and code for the more intricate architecture first to get the hard coding out of the way first. Similar to building the PS3 version first, then doing the PC and 360 versions later because Cell can be a bitch to program for.

Cartman86

Banned
Anyone who has the issue still I forgot to mention the lock-on thing. I didn't quite understand it. Something to do with the pistol I think.

Yes they have a server like an MMO and have the server calculate the NPC movements and some of the larger physics effects that will be displayed to everyone.

So that technique is already being used on PS3 with games like DCUO and Free Realms and will be used on PS4 with Planetside 2 and DCUO?

Right now it's not on par yet. We know way too many PS4 games to even echo your sentiments.

One can't undermine this exclusive though so this is a good score for MSFT.

Personally speaking i would take this or the remedy game over the entirety of the ps4 lineup right now

Fantastic looking stuff

Deadbeat

Banned
Dedicated servers?
Fidelity?
Keyboard and Mouse?
x86/x64?
No see if its exclusive to Xbox One and Respawn are the ex-IW guys that shitted on the PC platform about dedicated servers with MW2 (they are the ones that started that bullshit), I am skeptical of the PC version.

Talamius

I wonder why they are making a PC version.

I'd say it's a case of hedging their bets. My personal theory is if/when the XB1 is established, that will likely stop (at least on Microsoft paid exclusives. They are going to want you to game on XB1, not a PC.)

So that technique is already being used on PS3 with games like DCUO and Free Realms and will be used on PS4 with Planetside 2 and DCUO?

Similar but not the same. The MSFT employee who talked about integration with Azure in this thread gives a good hint on what it does beyond just dedicated servers like PS2.

Think on-demand immersion instead of persistent world (though clouds/servers can do the latter also). You load a game with whoever else, cloud puts up the server and sends calculations related to NPC AI, physics, environmental changes, etc... to the player's box as it comes into LOS range. That is probably the best way I can explain what it can do vs a normal MMO.

Giant mechs sharing the battlefield with human-sized super soldiers on an alien landscape?

The inclusion of AI combatants that you can direct into the MP mix?

Coming from EA?

Introduced via a splashy Game Informer cover feature?

Hmmm... I hope it turns out better than it did the last time:

GameInformerCover.jpg

AngryMoth

Gameplay certainly sounds intriguing. Excited to see some footage next week. Bet there are a lot of people angry right now.

The 'power of the cloud' stuff is more credible coming from these guys but I'm still confused. Maybe I'm just ignorant but I don't see how offloading physics and AI calculations is feasible, that stuff is still latency dependant right?

Grief.exe

No see if its exclusive to Xbox One and Respawn are the ex-IW guys that shitted on the PC platform about dedicated servers with MW2 (they are the ones that started that bullshit), I am skeptical of the PC version.

I don't follow Call of Duty at all, but couldn't that be attributed to Activision as well?

I'd say it's a case of hedging their bets. My personal theory is if/when the XB1 is established, that will likely stop.

Stop making PC games all together? I highly doubt that.

imagine if they used the money to invest in their own studios!!!1

jkjk that's ridiculous.

I like how they've been throwing around huge numbers like it's supposed to impress. Sadly, some people are falling for it.

Infinite power of cloud!
5 Billion transistors! (RROD 2.0)
3 billion on their APU with AMD
1 Billion on game content (moneyhatting, sleezy tactics).
4000k on NFL!
300k cloud servers!
40x power of 360!

Seriously, fuck off MS.

popo

Lol I know. I was just pointing it out.

MS must have some deep pockets because they are throwing money at everything.

It's quite pathetic really.

Sony spend a lot more on 1st party devs. That might be the better strategy long term but buying exclusives is also a way to go.

If you buy exclusivity on a game per game basis it is pathetic but when you buy a third party studio and make it 1st party that is good business?

Setting up or buying out your own studios works if they put out hit after hit (e.g. naughty dog, Bungie) but you could also waste money hand over fist on a studio that put out nothing that sells and you end up shuttering them (e.g. FASA, Rare).

Buying exclusivity costs more per game but you get to see a partly developed game and a full design dock before making the agreement.

Grief.exe

I like how they've been throwing around huge numbers like it's supposed to impress. Sadly, some people are falling for it.

Infinite power of cloud!
5 Billion transistors! (RROD 2.0)
3 billion on their APU with AMD
1 Billion on game content (moneyhatting, sleezy tactics).
4000k on NFL!
300k cloud servers!
40x power of 360!

Seriously, fuck off MS.

Delicious PR buzzwords.

Sony spend a lot more on 1st party devs. That might be the better strategy long term but buying exclusives is also a way to go.

If you buy exclusivity on a game per game basis it is pathetic but when you buy a third party studio and make it 1st party that is good business?

Would explain the rumors that we have been hearing about Microsoft months behind the competition.

Corroborate the yield failures and lack of first party output as well.

Microsoft caught sleeping at the wheel.

daveo42

Banned
Well it is. And it is kinda big, the exclusivity that is. But the weird thing is that I dunno if people care about "the guys who made COD" when they can just by the next COD

I'm curious how they market that. It's a game made by former Infinity Ward members, which did CoD. But they already have CoD exclusivity (at least with DLC), made by Infinity Ward, the guys who made CoD.

Might confuse a few people who don't keep up with the industry.

Cartman86

Banned
do you mean auto locking on to enemies?

I don't want to scare people with any concrete details without reading it again but that was my understanding. I was confused reading it. Didn't know if only certain weapons could lock-on or only certain enemies could be locked on to.

Yeah I'm a PC player most of the time and with Origin being the most likely handle, I'm worried about the game. I think MSFT actually could do it 10x better then EA. Only if they have the PC hook into the same Azure network would it be about the same.

Angry Fork

So are they serious about this infinite power of the cloud stuff or are they mouthing Microsoft talking points because of some deal they struck?

T3CHN01R

Banned
I don't want to scare people with any concrete details without reading it again but that was my understanding. I was confused reading it. Didn't know if only certain weapons could lock-on or only certain enemies could be locked on to.

fair enough. might be a cool mechanic if it's only a pistol and works on certain enemies. did the mag get pulled from your device already? i'm an ipad subscriber.

Drek

So a quick wrap up here on the obstacles Respawn has to tackle:

1 - Balanced mech v. pilot game play. This has been tried before, never been nailed down well. Most recently by Lightbox with Starhawk. Mechassault 2: Lone Wolf also tried this on the OG Xbox but not as on-foot v. mech directly, and still didn't have great balance.

2 - Movement speed/fast paced first person control. The claim is that the mechs move with the agility of a standard FPS character, with the pilots being significantly more agile. Will the people who rejected Mirror's Edge find proficiency with this new level of first person speed and mobility?

3 - In-game bots during PvP rounds. Most gamers have hated the notion of relying on bots to fill in a multiplayer map. This isn't filling in as much as it's augmenting the battlefield, at least in theory.

4 - Cloud based AI and regional physics management. I'm assuming this means they'll run the bot AI and larger mapwide changes server side as though they were other "clients". Will the zero lag bots be unbalanced as a result? Will they avoid all the server pitfalls other "cloud based" titles have recently fallen into (here's looking at you SimCity, by the same publisher no less).

Anything I'm missing? Respawn has definitely bitten off a lot to chew here for their first new title.

Top Bottom