• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Caswell (Gamespot Producer) - Playstation was pressured by Sony to make PSVR2, their heart wasn't into it

Who cares, the device is great and it has great games already, they said Sony doesn't care because they only have like 2 games in development for psvr2, but to be honest I expected 0 games. It's all on the third party and indie games, which a Lot of them are good.
I was hoping they'd do more hybrid games and port over games like Astrobot and Blood & Truth. But who really wants their first party studios spending a lot of time on VR games? Seems the fans of a certain platform that bought big publishers to make them first party are acting like only first party games count. When they should care more about console exclusives, not who made the game. Every VR game is console exclusive.

willothedog

I was hoping they'd do more hybrid games and port over games like Astrobot and Blood & Truth. But who really wants their first party studios spending a lot of time on VR games? Seems the fans of a certain platform that bought big publishers to make them first party are acting like only first party games count. When they should care more about console exclusives, not who made the game. Every VR game is console exclusive.
'every VR game is console exclusive', how so?

Yup, you are totally right. There is no chance Sony could ever do anything wrong. I mean the evidence goes completely against these comments from this chap. Sony have supported the PSVR2 with an incredible line up of original content to push the device. It has no tell tale signs of being sent out to die at all.

I mean, they it's not like they are looking at alternatives such as late in the day PC support due to the solid support and success it has seen on Playstation.

Support for PSVR2 has been excellent - lots of third party efforts on the platform.

I don’t think Sony cares about it being a wild success at this stage. Just something to offer their customers that they can profit, learn, and grow from.

MS hasn’t had a VR product period. I’m not sure why we are so against a company offering more choices.

Given how limited resources are, they have chosen the path of letting the platform be driven by VR specific third party studios, and there’s nothing wrong with that

Topher

Gold Member
They’re one of the oldest websites for physical movie media and one of the only ones that still exists.

And they were clearly speculating.

[Editor’s Note: We suspect the reason for this decision is that Sony Consumer Electronics doesn’t want Sony Interactive Entertainment’s PlayStation 4 Pro sales to undercut sales of their forthcoming dedicated 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray player. It may yet be that the PS4 Pro can be firmware updated to be compatible with UHD Blu-ray Discs and could be at a later date.]

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
And they were clearly speculating.

[Editor’s Note: We suspect the reason for this decision is that Sony Consumer Electronics doesn’t want Sony Interactive Entertainment’s PlayStation 4 Pro sales to undercut sales of their forthcoming dedicated 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray player. It may yet be that the PS4 Pro can be firmware updated to be compatible with UHD Blu-ray Discs and could be at a later date.]
And yet they never updated the Pro to support it.

Topher

Gold Member
And yet they never updated the Pro to support it.

And the editor was speculating about that as well. Not like Sony is known for being quick to update firmware. Your claim that Sony "forbade" it is certainly plausible, but also unfounded.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
And the editor was speculating about that as well. Not like Sony is known for being quick to update firmware. Your claim that Sony "forbade" it is certainly plausible, but also unfounded.
Bullshit. The PS3 Blu-Ray updates were the best of any player on the market.

Unlike settop players, Sony made sure the PS3 always kept up with improvements and innovations in the Blu-Ray format. When DTS-HD Master Audio arrived, all they did was give users a firmware update and voilà, you could suddenly play DTS-HD Master Audio tracks. When Blu-Ray 3D came around, it took only a firmware upgrade for viewers to enjoy their 3D content. The list of capabilities they added via simple firmware updates was truly impressive throughout the years.

That link also talks about why the Pro didn’t support it: Sony didn’t want the Pro cutting into sales of their players because there wasn’t a format war to win this time:

At this time, Sony is preparing the launch of a series of settop 4K UHD players. Naturally, the company wants these players to succeed. They want to sell them in quantities that makes the company proud. If they would add 4K UHD capabilities to the PS4 Pro, many people would simply forgo a settop player and use the PS4 Pro as their player of choice, the way they did when the PS3 first arrived, complete with Blu-Ray capabilities. Only this time they don’t have a format war to win (remember, Blu-Ray competed heavily against HD-DVD at the time and the PS3 was essentially the format’s secret weapon that decided the war), so there is no need for them to cannibalize their own divisions. When it comes right down to it, the lack of 4K UHD disc support is simply a business decision that actually makes sense for the compa

Topher

Gold Member

That link also talks about why the Pro didn’t support it: Sony didn’t want the Pro cutting into sales of their players because there wasn’t a format war to win this time:

lol....you are backing up speculation with more speculation my man.

"So, why doesn’t the PS4 Pro support 4K UHD discs? The answer to that may lie in Sony’s Consumer Electronics division. At this time, Sony is preparing the launch of a series of settop 4K UHD players."

But you also said PlayStation wanted to add 4K support, but Sony "forbade" it.

"PlayStation wanted to put UHD Blu-Ray support in the PS4 Pro (because the One S and One X had it), but Sony at the time forbade it because they wanted to try to sell stand-alone players instead."

So where is that coming from?

KellyNole

After this, I am no longer buying Sony products at launch if ever minus maybe the main consoles. I bought a Vita day one and there was some support, but it died off quickly. Bought PS4 day one, great system lots of great games. Bought PS4 Pro Day one, really a waste. Bought PSVR day one, Sony supported somewhat, but it needed a revision. Bought PS5 day one. Some good games, but it is missing some of those niche games Sony published during the PS3 and early PS4 days. Now PS5 collects dust. Thought maybe PSVR2 would get me back into it. There are a few games, two of which are Sony's, but they really aren't showing much more than that. Outside of the main consoles, purchasing anything of Sony is a waste.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
That doesn't sound very believable.

There’s only one big first party exclusive on the PSVR2 (Horizon). It’s been out for a year.

Hell the best thing about PSVR2 is PS+ Premium as they’ve been adding some good games (Kayak VR and Ghostbusters).

There’s only one big first party exclusive on the PSVR2 (Horizon). It’s been out for a year.

Hell the best thing about PSVR2 is PS+ Premium as they’ve been adding some good games (Kayak VR and Ghostbusters).

Next you'll tell me Sony pressured them to make the PS5 too since they only had Spiderman 2 for all of 2023

Crayon

I can see they aren't doing this very well but sony pressuring ps to make it doesn't make sense. You can look at the poor support and come up with about any story for the reason why.

Killer8

It was more likely due to a chipset limitation of the BD drive they used in the PS4 Pro. It's not a given that it could just play UHDs even if the console was aimed at 4K. Good article:

Fat PS3s also to this day do not support bitstreaming Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA via HDMI to a receiver, even with the software update. This was because of a more limited HDMI chip, which the Slim addressed.

The PS5 and XSX potentially have a similar issue, in the sense that they now have a BD drive that supports UHD (since the games utilize the extra space too) but the chipset used cannot support TV-led Dolby Vision, so HDR is limited to the HDR10 fallback. Some speculated that lack of Dolby Vision for UHD movies was due to licensing fees but it's really a hardware limitation that would require a revision.

Apps with Dolby Vision work but that's because they use Player-led Dolby Vision which doesn't require hardware.

Last edited:
Varjo Aero, Pimax Crystal, Quest Pro if you are assuming dynamic whereas fixed is available in the humble Quest....

Again, developing =/= inventing.

The fact that other companies also had foveating rendering tech available in their product is irrelevant because none of those companies shared their technology or IP with Sony.

Playstation's implementation in PSVR2 was developed by themselves. That was my only original point. If they we're forced by Sony they wouldn't have spent millions in R&D developing such tech.

Way to miss the point entirely.

willothedog

Again, developing =/= inventing.

The fact that other companies also had foveating rendering tech available in their product is irrelevant because none of those companies shared their technology or IP with Sony.

Playstation's implementation in PSVR2 was developed by themselves. That was my only original point. If they we're forced by Sony they wouldn't have spent millions in R&D developing such tech.

Way to miss the point entirely.

How can it be irrelevant when you stated, 'In a commercially available VR headset? No.... it hasn't', which was proven incorrect.

You have no idea how much they spent or if they used a third-party vendor for the software as they did for the eye-tracking hardware.

stuff in your head != facts :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Sybrix

The reality is the VR equipment is bulky, tied with wires, a pain to use and not comfortable for prolonged use.

Also the software is no where near what it needs to be to attract a mass market.

Until VR headsheets are wireless, sleek and the software is there these will never become popular.

PSVR2 will go the way of PSVR.

How can it be irrelevant when you stated, 'In a commercially available VR headset? No.... it hasn't', which was proven incorrect.

That wasn't in my original post that you replied to. It was a tangential point. A post in which I even stated clearly that development =/= inventing, a point you've still failed to grasp.
You have no idea how much they spent or if they used a third-party vendor for the software as they did for the eye-tracking hardware.

It's irrelevant whether they spent the resource internally or externally, or even how much resource was put into it. The fact is that they invested resource in developing the feature for a VR headset they were always planning to launch.

That you cannot grasp such a simple fact makes it clear you're not worth bothering to respond to. You don't seem to have the intellectual acuity to follow the actual discussion, as you keep getting lost on tangential shit that has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

willothedog

That wasn't in my original post that you replied to. It was a tangential point. A post in which I even stated clearly that development =/= inventing, a point you've still failed to grasp.

It's irrelevant whether they spent the resource internally or externally, or even how much resource was put into it. The fact is that they invested resource in developing the feature for a VR headset they were always planning to launch.

That you cannot grasp such a simple fact makes it clear you're not worth bothering to respond to. You don't seem to have the intellectual acuity to follow the actual discussion, as you keep getting lost on tangential shit that has nothing to do with the topic at hand.
You just make things up period and seem to be getting a bit upset when I prove you incorrect.

Top Bottom