• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Total War: Rome 2 |OT| I Came, I Saw, I Came

Johnny M

Apart from the blood (blood dlc....) why there are not moribund people moaning around the battlefield? That was a really nice touch in Shogun 2.

OK, so I always play Total War Games on Easy and always as Rome.

Im not that good on strategy and I enjoy being an unstoppable force.

However, this game is harder than others.

Playing as Rome. Took the Cisalpina (north), Corsica et Sardina (West) e Magna Grecia (South).

Spread myself too thin. Suddenly, in the same freaking turn, armies in the north took 2 of my cities in Cisalpina and now I lost 1 city in Magna Grecia (actually lost 2, but managed to recover 1 quickly).

Things happened so fast!!! Now Im working to take my cities back and kill the faction on north that attacked me.

Worst of all: I have a faction northwest of me who Im allied with. They decide to "help me".

I have my huge army next to one of my taken cities. I couldnt get close enough to siege it.

They attack that city with a tiny force. Like 2 units. Since my army is reinforcing them, THEY TOOK MY FUCKING CITY!!! WITH MY FUCKING HELP!!!

That means if I want the whole Cisalpina to me again Im gonna have to go to war with these assholes again.

AARRRRRRRGGGHHH!!!

/rant over :p

FGMPR

Banned
I personally thought the Guardian's review of the game was pretty accurate...

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/sep/06/total-war-rome-ii-review

Especially this;

Those feels...

I'm not sure if foolish is the right way to phrase it; I think a whole lot of us were expecting a situation like this and decided the end product would still be worth paying for to play it now instead of 6 months time (especially since for some of us, GMG pre-order prices won't be matched by Steam for quite possibly 2 years or so). That doesn't mean we shouldn't complain, though; after all, "strong" feedback is the our main avenue of directing CA to prioritise what needs to be fixed first.

If I had gone through this before however, and asked for a refund, then that reviewer could call me foolish.

KugelBlitz

Neo Member
I'm not sure if foolish is the right way to phrase it; I think a whole lot of us were expecting a situation like this and decided the end product would still be worth paying for to play it now instead of 6 months time (especially since for some of us, GMG pre-order prices won't be matched by Steam for quite possibly 2 years or so). That doesn't mean we shouldn't complain, though; after all, "strong" feedback is the our main avenue of directing CA to prioritise what needs to be fixed first.

If I had gone through this before however, and asked for a refund, then that reviewer could call me foolish.

Given CA's recent history it's to be expected I suppose (that's not a defensive point), but I agree--perhaps foolish is too harsh.

In the end however, he's makes a solid point...

I just want to know; did the 40% increase in budget go all to marketing?

Nevertheless, I am enjoying it, but one thing has annoyed me...

Sieges, (as far as I'm aware) are a bit of a guessing game, in Rome 1 the attacker always deployed first--enabling the defender to react accordingly. Now it seems both sides deploy at the same time.

This was a huge disappointment to both my friend and I. Unless there is a way to change that?*

*This question is multiplayer focussed

Much appreciated!

Playing as Rome. Took the Cisalpina (north), Corsica et Sardina (West) e Magna Grecia (South).

Spread myself too thin. Suddenly, in the same freaking turn, armies in the north took 2 of my cities in Cisalpina and now I lost 1 city in Magna Grecia (actually lost 2, but managed to recover 1 quickly).

Things happened so fast!!! Now Im working to take my cities back and kill the faction on north that attacked me.

Worst of all: I have a faction northwest of me who Im allied with. They decide to "help me".

I have my huge army next to one of my taken cities. I couldnt get close enough to siege it.

They attack that city with a tiny force. Like 2 units. Since my army is reinforcing them, THEY TOOK MY FUCKING CITY!!! WITH MY FUCKING HELP!!!

That means if I want the whole Cisalpina to me again Im gonna have to go to war with these assholes again.

AARRRRRRRGGGHHH!!!

This new system of having 2 to 4 regions in a province basically means a) don't have allies, at least not near-by and b) go to war with everyone unless it's an area you don't want. Playing as Rome I don't have allies and I go to war with everyone! As it should be, for Rome!

Twinduct

This new system of having 2 to 4 regions in a province basically means a) don't have allies, at least not near-by and b) go to war with everyone unless it's an area you don't want. Playing as Rome I don't have allies and I go to war with everyone! As it should be, for Rome!

As a britannic barbarian ... this suits me as well!
Although I have a code ... you die if you don't accept my trade agreement.

Finally got a cultural victory as the Icenis. Just took me 45 hours... I had time to conquer all the map after I figured out what to do and then wait for culture to spread and that last building to finish

What's the actual game length, the number of turns? You start in 256BC, or there abouts and ends when? I don't see an end date on the Campaign menu.

What's the actual game length, the number of turns? You start in 256BC, or there abouts and ends when? I don't see an end date on the Campaign menu.

300 turns but it took me 45 hours to beat the campaign by goofing around and conquering it all in less than 200 turns

edit : also I saw somewhere that the game didn't end after 300 turns though

Martian

Most Total War games you can play into the forever. I once saw a post of a guy that played with Denmark in Medieval 2 into the 1700s (it just get boring playing over a 1000 turns)

Inversive

ehhh having a full province isn't too important, edicts are nice and all but i wouldn't go to war with an ally just to be able to issue an edict.

Ichinii

So I'm between a rock and hard place. Like any gamer would I want to enjoy Rome 2 to its fullest, it is my absolute most anticipated title this year. My goal is "Ultra" at 60 fps, would love to do Extreme but I don't see how that would be possible without a Titan based on my experience.

My rig: AMD FX‑8350 4.0GHz / 8gigs RAM / Radeon HD 7950 3ghz VRam

The campaign map is a complete lag-fest whenever I mess around selecting units and when end turn comes along, but it doesn't bother me that much. My priority is the battle map. I get 60fps when there isn't much going on and when the system is not getting taxed too heavily, I'm running with about 3 Ultra settings and the rest are a combination of High and Very High. However the frames fluctuate throughout the whole encounter, and they drop heavily when there are a lot of units engaged in battle; it diminishes the experience for me. I've applied the latest beta drivers 13.10 and just about every fix from the tech forums.

I'm thinking I'm gonna bite the bullet and upgrade to a GTX770. Do any gaf centurions have experience with this card, will it give me 60 frames on Ultra? The price tag is around $400 which is not on cheap side. Thanks in advance.

So I'm between a rock and hard place. Like any gamer would I want to enjoy Rome 2 to its fullest, it is my absolute most anticipated title this year. My goal is "Ultra" at 60 fps, would love to do Extreme but I don't see how that would be possible without a Titan based on my experience.

The campaign map is a complete lag-fest whenever I mess around selecting units and when end turn comes along, but it doesn't bother me that much. My priority is the battle map. I get 60fps when there isn't much going on and when the system is not getting taxed too heavily, I'm running with about 3 Ultra settings and the rest are a combination of High and Very High. However the frames fluctuate throughout the whole encounter, and they drop heavily when there are a lot of units engaged in battle; it diminishes the experience for me. I've applied the latest beta drivers 13.10 and just about every fix from the tech forums.

I'm thinking I'm gonna bite the bullet and upgrade to a GTX770. Do any gaf centurions have experience with this card, will it give me 60 frames on Ultra? The price tag is around $400 which is not on cheap side. Thanks in advance.
Wait until the game is fully patched (which could probably take 6-12 months seeing how broken the game is :lol ), its likely that the game is unoptimized.

Snip

I have a 3GB GTX780, i7 3770k@4.4ghz and 8Gb@2400mhz. Most of my settings are at extreme except particle effects which is low (seems to really hurt fps on the campaign map), AO which is off andd AA which is off (hardly seems to make a difference). Oh and Vsync and Use all Vram too. Running@1080p I get 30fps on the campaign which will drop to 20 or less if I click on armies etc (about 60% of the map has been discovered). Battles can run between 40 and 60 depending on size of the armies. On really big melees (that's 20+ units engaged) if I zoom in the fps drops to 20 or less. Pulled back around 40-60, depending on camera directon.
My card does'nt get too hot, maybe 65* or 70* but I have 6 fans in my case and the 780 runs pretty cool most of the time anyway.
I'm sure with a few more patches we'll get even better performance.

Ichinii

^
Thanks, exactly what I needed to know.

Edit: Lots of streamers on youtube and other sites somehow run this game with incredible graphics and at pristine performance, guessing they all have completely top of the line rigs.

Hystzen

^
Thanks, exactly what I needed to know.

Edit: Lots of streamers on youtube and other sites somehow run this game with incredible graphics and at pristine performance, guessing they all have completely top of the line rigs.

The issue i noticed is co-op is pretty much broken, worse end turn times and sometimes it like the AI turns off. Normal SP is fine still some issues but it nowhere near broken as Co-op

Azulsky

Im not getting 60fps on a 780 Classified, just wait for more patches.

valouris

Are the bugs catastrophic, or should I jump in?

I have had one ctd on a battle and one ctd on the campaign map, only lost half a turn each time as the game autosaves every turn. Playing for about 20 hours.

Apart from that, the BAI is not much of a challenge, and the CAI is fine for some but chickens for others. Some graphical glitches here and there, and poorer than expected performance on plenty systems.

Other than that the game is entirely playable, you can finish a campaign, and play historical, custom and multiplayer battles just fine. The prologue campaign is the most bugged atm, and I don't think it is worth the time anyway.

If you are easily frustrated by small things maybe you should wait, otherwise the game is entirely playable at this state, imo. I am enjoying it at least.

Addnan

If you haven't overclocked you should do that. This game is pretty CPU intensive and overclock should help.

I've tried to give the game a 2nd chance, but no, I've had enough. My criticisms go far beyond crashes, bugs and low framerate, and are more about the game itself.

I've not lost hope though. Civ5 went from being a boring mess to one of the most outstanding games ever made. I'll keep my fingers crossed that after the initial performance issues are fixed, CA can not only add fun, but clarity to Rome II.

Vlodril

The issue i noticed is co-op is pretty much broken, worse end turn times and sometimes it like the AI turns off. Normal SP is fine still some issues but it nowhere near broken as Co-op

Coop is completely broken.. i ve been trying to play with my friend and we ve spend about 75% of our time with the campaign waiting at the end turn for all the other states to play. Ridiculous. it takes one and a half hour to do 8-10 turns.. And without any major battles.

Facism

Same here, I was wondering what was going on. I thought the next update would be next week

people are saying its a fix for red skies or some shit.

Anyway, not playing this for a few months in the hopes they get their house in order.

Is co-op completely screwed? The time it takes for the game to run through the AI turns is ludicrous. What takes 20 seconds in SP is more like 4 minutes in co-op. Pretty much unplayable.

Vitor711

Anyone else suffering from horrendous load times? Running off a 7200 RPM drive, will try defragging and see if that helps but I doubt it. Don't have enough room on my primary SSD to install it there unfortunately...

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Anyone else suffering from horrendous load times? Running off a 7200 RPM drive, will try defragging and see if that helps but I doubt it. Don't have enough room on my primary SSD to install it there unfortunately...

They seemed roughly the same as Shogun 2 in DX10 mode on my HDD (which was pretty bad). Surprisingly fast on my SSD though.

Mobius 1

I have had one ctd on a battle and one ctd on the campaign map, only lost half a turn each time as the game autosaves every turn. Playing for about 20 hours.

Apart from that, the BAI is not much of a challenge, and the CAI is fine for some but chickens for others. Some graphical glitches here and there, and poorer than expected performance on plenty systems.

Other than that the game is entirely playable, you can finish a campaign, and play historical, custom and multiplayer battles just fine. The prologue campaign is the most bugged atm, and I don't think it is worth the time anyway.

If you are easily frustrated by small things maybe you should wait, otherwise the game is entirely playable at this state, imo. I am enjoying it at least.

Thanks for that. I'm jumping in, want to support Creative Assembly for still making these games.

Time to levy my legions.

Lingitiz

Thanks for that. I'm jumping in, want to support Creative Assembly for still making these games.

Time to levy my legions.

I would add that if you've played Shogun 2 recently (or with Darthmod), there's gonna be a bunch of nagging issues. Shogun 2's UI was pretty much perfect, so it's kinda baffling why they went with this new one. Information doesn't flow naturally with where you expect it to be on screen, and they've removed descriptive text in favor of symbols that are never explained early on.

isual

Just. One. More. Turn.

hah. that's been my mentality for the past week.

AARRRRRRRGGGHHH!!!

hmmm. I think this is the easiest total war yet when starting fresh with all the game mechanics.

I really like the idea that instead of multiple provinces, you have one big province with all the settlements amalgamated into one UI when you click it. MUCH MUCH easier when micromanaging your economy.

Then again, I am playing on easy as well; I just want to conquer the worlddddd

I'm enjoying it as well fellow kirby. shame that i'll be done with playing as rome by the time the game is entirely polished

Also, I cannot play a battle when it is raining, FPS DROPS DRAMATICALLY TO 1

Pinktaco

Right.. so wtf..

I have no clue how CA figured this would be balanced. So yeah, I got bored of my barbarian campaign and decided to try out the spartans again - this time on legendary.

First thing I notice is how they appear to be much more screwed in terms of buildings and public order.
For instance - barbarians can gain 20 public order from on of their "city centre" titles. The hellenistic factions gain no such thing.
Agriculture? You're pretty much forced to get public disorder because there are no way around it, until with the barbarians where you can get canals that'll give you a decent amount of food and have no affect on public order.

So unless there's something I've missed you're stuck with lousy sanitation and religion buildings and is pretty much screwed later on? I dunno, I haven't gotten very far so far so maybe I'm overreacting, but since they'll still need food, military, ports, industry and agriculture I'm not seeing the advantage here.

I just find it to be weird that the barbarian factions have an easier time to have a happy population than the more civilized factions lol.

IMO they could just change the wine trader and libary to give Public order since that would somehow make sense.. but no.

So yeah I can now see what people are complaining about because there seem to be quiet some differences.

I wish they had kept the same formula as previous games.

The changes they made feel like a step BACKWARDS for the franchise honestly.

Pinktaco

Also my game is now running much worse than it did a couple of days ago. Startet last night where my system suddenly took a punch to the face and now deals with a FPS of 20 on the campaign map and single digit between turns.

Great time :(

Aranath

I'm running it off a 5400 RPM WD Green and getting really short load times. My initial load into the campaign takes about 15 seconds and then after that loading to and from battles takes about 10 seconds at the very most. It's nowhere near the ludicrous load times I had with Shogun 2.

valouris

Right.. so wtf..

I have no clue how CA figured this would be balanced. So yeah, I got bored of my barbarian campaign and decided to try out the spartans again - this time on legendary.

First thing I notice is how they appear to be much more screwed in terms of buildings and public order.
For instance - barbarians can gain 20 public order from on of their "city centre" titles. The hellenistic factions gain no such thing.
Agriculture? You're pretty much forced to get public disorder because there are no way around it, until with the barbarians where you can get canals that'll give you a decent amount of food and have no affect on public order.

So unless there's something I've missed you're stuck with lousy sanitation and religion buildings and is pretty much screwed later on? I dunno, I haven't gotten very far so far so maybe I'm overreacting, but since they'll still need food, military, ports, industry and agriculture I'm not seeing the advantage here.

I just find it to be weird that the barbarian factions have an easier time to have a happy population than the more civilized factions lol.

IMO they could just change the wine trader and libary to give Public order since that would somehow make sense.. but no.

So yeah I can now see what people are complaining about because there seem to be quiet some differences.

It gets much better later on, use plenty of slaves and be careful of your public order and food and once you conquer a couple of provinces you'll be good to go. Also, characters have a skill (its the first button) that buffs the province they are in, it is very useful!

Pinktaco

It gets much better later on, use plenty of slaves and be careful of your public order and food and once you conquer a couple of provinces you'll be good to go. Also, characters have a skill (its the first button) that buffs the province they are in, it is very useful!

Well I'm not too sure if I can even bother to continue lol. Playing on Legendary I roflstomped Epirus, took Knossos and now Athen. There has been no challenge what so ever despite Sparta being one of the hardest faction to start and it's not even like I'm good at this game <.<

Apparently just rushing messes with the AI.

Aranath

Is anyone having any texture loading issues on the campaign map since this hot-fix tonight?

After the update yesterday, my campaign map started running a lot smoother. It was an absolute pleasure. Now, since this hot-fix, when I scroll around the campaign map, the textures of the landscape take a couple seconds to properly load, before which they're just a blurry mess. It's rather annoying.

bamboobimbo

Neo Member
Is anyone having any texture loading issues on the campaign map since this hot-fix tonight?

After the update yesterday, my campaign map started running a lot smoother. It was an absolute pleasure. Now, since this hot-fix, when I scroll around the campaign map, the textures of the landscape take a couple seconds to properly load, before which they're just a blurry mess. It's rather annoying.

I've had EXACTLY this issue. My game in general was running smoothly yesterday. I was starting to suspect it was a problem on my end!

Aranath

I've had EXACTLY this issue. My game in general was running smoothly yesterday. I was starting to suspect it was a problem on my end!

Good to know I'm not the only one. Hopefully they fix it soon.

Is there any way to transfer units between armies?

Yep. With one of the armies selected, right-click on the army you want to transfer units to/from (the two armies have to be adjacent on the campaign map) and a transfer screen will come up showing the units of the two armies. Select the units you want to transfer and a green arrow will show you that they're going to transfer to the other army. Once you've selected all the units you want to transfer, click the button (I think it says 'Transfer'). It's pretty simple. One of my generals serves as a troop courier, recruiting units in a particular province and then ferrying them to my fighting armies out on campaign.

DrBo42

Good to know I'm not the only one. Hopefully they fix it soon.

Yep. With one of the armies selected, right-click on the army you want to transfer units to/from (the two armies have to be adjacent on the campaign map) and a transfer screen will come up showing the units of the two armies. Select the units you want to transfer and a green arrow will show you that they're going to transfer to the other army. Once you've selected all the units you want to transfer, click the button (I think it says 'Transfer'). It's pretty simple. One of my generals serves as a troop courier, recruiting units in a particular province and then ferrying them to my fighting armies out on campaign.

Wow that's a huge help, thanks.

Top Bottom