• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TotalBiscuit asks ESRB to consider microtransactions in its criteria

WHM-6R

Neo Member
Jim Sterling has covered this is his latest video.

Games already cost more than $60, if you want to play the “full game” with all the content you’re buying $90+ collectors editions, season passes, DLCs etc. and people are already okay with that.

This is micro transactions on top of all that other bullshits

Of course he did, hes got a patreon to fill, and hes not gonna do it by NOT catering to gamer entitlement.

sueil

Games with blind boxes should be illegal to play / sell to people not of age to gamble in that territory and should be regulated by the appropriate state / national government body. You should be able to know the odds of all the boxes like other forms of gambling already do. Also the publisher should need a gaming license in each state / country that requires one.

Fularu

Banned
Then that's dumb. I thought this was about informing people, not trying to get games pulled from shelves.

Fifa Ultimate team is not something I want a kid exposed to without parents knowing about it. I see no reason why the adults who love it shouldn't be allowed to play it on consoles (even though I don't remotely get the appeal myself).

Seperately labeling makes even more sense then.
The aim would be to remove gambling elements

Not to get games pulled. In short it's a way to pressure publishers and devs to not include those in their games.

Make people buy Ronaldo if you really need transactions but remove the gambling aspect of it

Peroroncino

In a world where parents happily buy GTA and other 17+ games to their kids, I honestly don't see what would be the point of that... not to mention many of the games with such microtransactions are already rated Mature.

You're not wrong, however publishers have this weird obsession of making as many games as they possibly can not mature, similarly with movies, so it's possible that this might help a little.

I mean, Jim can be right, but he also stands to benefit from stirring more outrage. It's his business model.

As long as he's actively exposing industry bullshit I honestly don't care how much money he makes in the process.

dose

Does games costing more than $60 base sound like a good thing? Game development has gotten more expensive, companies have to make money some way. They know consumers don't want a higher shelf tag so they try things like lootboxes and DLCs to makeup the costs. We keep shitting on every alternative they come up with, what do you think the end-game is here for the industry?
And yet there are tonnes of games companies out there that bring out $60 or less games and get on fine. If you need to charge more then they're doing it wrong and should scale back their games.

KingBroly

Banned
It's definitely an interesting idea, but I feel like it's a problem publishers would easily get around.

It ultimately feels like the gaming industry is stepping closer and closer into getting itself regulated heavily over this.

Caayn

Good. I've said this in past as well. If they want to add gambling with real world money into their games then their games should be rated for it as well. That includes loopholes such as purchasable lootboxes with ingame currency coupled with a crooked ingame economy to incentivise the purchase of said currency with real currency.
Does games costing more than $60 base sound like a good thing? Game development has gotten more expensive, companies have to make money some way. They know consumers don't want a higher shelf tag so they try things like lootboxes and DLCs to makeup the costs. We keep shitting on every alternative they come up with, what do you think the end-game is here for the industry?
Game development has indeed gotten expensive. However it's not like publishers really need microtransactions: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1418238

*DISCLAIMER* This obviously doesn't go for every publisher out there. But we don't need to act like publishers have no choice but to force gambling into their games in order to survive.

Rellik

When I sign up to sports betting sites I have to provide things like my passport number to prove I'm an adult. Yet I can walk into Tesco, buy FIFA and gamble at any age.

I fully support this, making Micro transactions a 18-21+ age rating automatically.

But I feel as though there needs to be legal precedent and backing to enforce this.

basically have warning labels on the outside of the packaging not unlike cigarettes in the states.

aimed at the parents to make them question if they should be buying GTAV for there 12 yearold when it has warnings about

boiled goose

good with gravy
Good idea in theory but it won't have much effect.

Take a game like Fifa for example with pack opening being nothing more than glorified gambling, you think if it suddenly had an 18 rating little Jimmy's parents still wouldn't buy it for him?

My personal opinion is that loot crates and all of these glorified gambling transactions in games is going to blow up really badly and go away......

It will definitely affect sales.

Marcel

I mean, Jim can be right, but he also stands to benefit from stirring more outrage. It's his business model.

This. Jim has been a gamer outrage profiteer for years now. Dude straight up lurks, pulls discourse from GAF and repurposes it for his video topics.

Isn't ESRB a industry run organization? In that case the only way they'd do this is if they feel threatened by legislators to regulate them.

test_account

XP-39C²
Jim Sterling has covered this is his latest video.

Games already cost more than $60, if you want to play the ”full game" with all the content you're buying $90+ collectors editions, season passes, DLCs etc. and people are already okay with that.

This is micro transactions on top of all that other bullshits
Sure, thats exactly why the base game cost $60. This isnt some myth that Jim Sterling claimed (unless i misunderstood what he ment), the reason why games still are priced at $60 is because of the additional revenue streams being offered as a "compenastion" to not increase the base price. If people want to get rid of all the extra stuff thats being offered, the base price of the game would have to be increased to cover lost revenue. How would the marked responds to base games costing maybe $80 - $100 instead of $60?

I think people are more custom to buy things in packages instead. Would a GOTY/complete edition of a game that includes all DLC sell well if it was priced at $100? Personally, i dont think so. Someone might spend maybe $1000 on a mobile game over the course of some years, but i cant imagine that the same people would have bought a mobile game for $1000 up front.

I'd personally argue that if a business cannot stay in business without resorting to exploitative tactics, then they deserve to be run out of business. If the $60 model is broken, then change the price of the game. Surely that, too, is the free market in action. And if games with higher base prices don't sell, then I suppose those developers will have to learn to scale back. And if the free market doesn't accept that, then the free market deserves what's coming to it.
This sounds pretty simple on paper, but its not really that easy when it comes to the execution. Why do you think no one has dared to increase the base price of their games to maybe $80 - $100? Doing that is a pretty big risk.

Its the same with scaling back, that will affect the quality of the games. Would the market responds well to pay e.g $60 for a game like Senua's Sacrifice? Personally, i dont think so. And a recent example is Marvel VS Capcom: Infinite, some people blame the lower budget of the game to be the reason why it sold so poorly (at least so far). Its the same with arguements that they should lower the price of the games to sell more, but there is no guarantee that lowering the price will attrack enough additional consumers to cover the "loss" of the price drop.

I'm also for the free market, but on the flip side of that, the free market also allows for extra stuff (DLC, loot crates) to be sold. The free market has accepted this business practice, a lot of people pay for it.

gaugebozo

I like where he's coming from, but loot boxes are not gambling in the same way that random toys from vending machines are not gambling.

Lanrutcon

This. Jim has been a gamer outrage profiteer for years now. Dude straight up pulls discourse from GAF and repurposes it for his video topics.

Oh please.

He puts a spotlight on bullshit most gaming publications wouldn't touch with a ten-foot pole.

The amount of whining his work elicits from people like you is almost thread worthy in itself. Is this Zelda related or do you just dislike it when people make videos about actual issues in the industry?

Nick_C

I mentioned this in a thread a few days ago. The ESRB already have these ratings in place on their site, they just haven't put them into place, as far as I've seen.

I used Yakuza 0 as an example, which clearly has gambling in many varieties, but there is no mention of it in the rating or the blurb on ESRB.org. The most recent rating that includes gambling as a descriptor is the re-releases of Pokemon Gold & Silver. The next closest being Winning Putt, a game released for PC on October 25th, 2016.

If you go through the list of the games that have gambling tags, there is nothing of any real consequence included.

Marcel

Oh please.

He puts a spotlight on bullshit most gaming publications wouldn't touch with a ten-foot pole.

The amount of whining his work elicits from people like you is almost thread worthy in itself. Is this Zelda related or do you just dislike it when people make videos about actual issues in the industry?

If you're going to try to use Nintendo fanboy as a sloppy dismissal about me without knowing jack shit about my post history then you should probably sit down because it seems like to me you're just a Jim Sterling fanboy. Pretty easy to use form dismissals while ignoring an argument, huh?

Metalmarc

Yes, stick gambling addiction warning stickers on the covers, may shock some parents into not buying the game for the kids

Im ok with this, also helps me weed out these games in the store & then can make my own desicion if i wanna buy a loot game or not

Pilgore

Neo Member
The industry is trying to normalize loot boxes as fast as it possible can and you could make the argument that it already has.

Yes, there are also a lot of games that don't have them.
Yes, many games that DO have them present them in a mostly harmless way.

But this is a growing process.

We've been normalized to DLC, Season Passes, Pre-Orders and Pre-Order bonuses and now Loot Boxes are joining the party. The problem isn't that Loot Boxes are ruining games NOW, it's that it's another spoke in the wheel, potentially driving us off the cliff. It's taken us, what. Two to three years at best to make this almost common day practice in many big AAA games. But people seem to just not give a shit or draw lines in the sand, so the pubs will just keep going.

Are people honestly OK with big games like Mordor and Battlefront adopting a soft F2P-Mobile-game like transaction model? I don't think I'm being hyperbolic in saying that that is where we're slowly going towards. You know how much money big mobile games make? A LOT, you know how much money it costs to develop and produce games like Mordor, Overwatch and Battlefront? A LOT, we're most definitely going there.

Mendrox

I like where he's coming from, but loot boxes are not gambling in the same way that random toys from vending machines are not gambling.

Loot boxes are gambling.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complete_gacha

?????

If I currently want a certain skin in Overwatch and don't have enough gold to buy it without getting loot boxes, my only way to get that certain skin is by getting more loot boxes (buying them or leveling for them which takes at least 1 hour for a level up box)

And then those full priced games will become $80 instead of $60. Lootboxes and microtransactions keep games at $60.

I am really surprised that this is the consens. So many other publishers survive too. So many of these lootbox and mt companies get away with not paying tax etc.

I don't usually agree with TotalBiscuit, but this is absolutely necessary.

Government regulation over games that has loot boxes would set a bad precedent

And of course, it wouldn't be a thread on regulation without the obligatory government fear-mongering and slippery slope argument.

You know what they say: a broken clock is forever bad, but a delayed one is right twice a day.

Unless this is some kind of meta-humour on wrongness, it's the opposite: a broken clock always gives the wrong time, while a broken one does twice a day. :D

//DEVIL//

I hope it sticks for rated 17 and above . So these developers don't sell shit of their original game even. What a low class act to gain money.

Same goes for fucking announcing a season pass to be released within the game . Selling an unfinished game for 60$.

The only game that ever deserves a season pass money was drive club.. .because that content was released months and months the game has been out. Not selling a season pass 1 month or 2 weeks from the game release.

Lanrutcon

If you're going to try to use Nintendo fanboy as a sloppy dismissal about me without knowing jack shit about my post history then you should probably sit down because it seems like to me you're just a Jim Sterling fanboy. Pretty easy to use form dismissals while ignoring an argument, huh?

Is this Zelda related or do you just dislike it when people make videos about actual issues in the industry?

I'll wait while you learn to read.

nynt9

Oh please.

It's not mutually exclusive, like I said. He can be right and shine a light on bad practices, but stirring up outrage also directly profits him. It's a parasitic relationship. People who talk about these issues in a less rage driven matter get a lot less attention.

_Ryo_

Games that use destructive, manipulative, and addictive gambling techniques should have an Adult Only rating.

I mean, stores are afraid to carry games that contain heavy nudity and sex but are perfectly okay with selling games that can actually be extremely dangerous to play for people that have easily manipulated personalities. That's pretty fucked up.

KingBroly

Banned
And of course, it wouldn't be a thread on regulation without the obligatory government fear-mongering and slippery slope argument.

It wouldn't be the only thing the Government tried to do if they started regulating stuff. They'd definitely go after the working conditions, the crunch so to speak, among other things as well.

It wouldn't be the only thing the Government tried to do if they started regulating stuff. They'd definitely go after the working conditions, the crunch so to speak, among other things as well.

Wouldn't that be awesome! You're giving the government far too much credit.

I'll wait until you realize that an endless cycle of outrage discourse is a situation that he monetarily benefits from contributing to.

So you draw the line at profiting when it's from raising awareness about shitty, possibly illegal manipulative practices that affects minors. Not at, you know, actually implementing those practices.

Seems reasonable.

shira

Those AAA game publishers want their cut. They will get it no matter what.
If it means shorter games, higher prices that's going to be the consequence.

Don't mistake removing/age limiting loot boxes with out repercussions.

Lanrutcon

I'll wait until you realize that an endless cycle of outrage discourse is a situation that he monetarily benefits from contributing to.

And there we get to the crux of it. You consider his work as "outrage discourse", instead of coverage of legitimate issues in the industry.

Good work. Go buy some lootboxes or whatever you lot do to celebrate.

JimPanzer

In a world where parents happily buy GTA and other 17+ games to their kids, I honestly don't see what would be the point of that... not to mention many of the games with such microtransactions are already rated Mature.

I can see parents being more concerned with their kids getting addicted to gambling as to being exposed to violence.

Top Bottom