• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Traditional Console cycles are over says analyst from the NPD Group.

HeresJohnny

He's completely wrong. As I've noted before, the PS2 was fucking KILLING IT when the PS3 came out, and I'm pretty sure the same went for the first Playstation. His prediction is ignorant of history.

EDIT: I guess if you wanted to argue it in the most base sense that releasing mid-ben refreshes may have been the plan to stall the next true generation, then I guess I'd buy that. But here's the thing: one player wants out of this generation desperately, in spite of the new hardware. The other is leading the generation and they've released hardware historically when the existing machine they had out was printing money. I'm betting we see new machines next year, so even if the release of mid-gen hardware was to stave off the coming generation, it didn't work very well.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Water = wet. We knew this when they released the PS4 Pro. That was literally the end of traditional consoles cycles.

Mmm, they're correct but not for the reasons they think: Nintendo Switch is what threw it all into disarray. PS4 Pro and X1X took place within the generation. Switch -- on the other hand -- will be so launch-misaligned with the other Gen 9 consoles that it is functionally a different generation. By the time X2 and PS5 launch the Switch will be halfway through its lifecycle.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Mmm, they're correct but not for the reasons they think: Nintendo Switch is what threw it all into disarray. PS4 Pro and X1X took place within the generation. Switch -- on the other hand -- will be so launch-misaligned with the other Gen 9 consoles that it is functionally a different generation. By the time X2 and PS5 launch the Switch will be halfway through its lifecycle.
The Switch could be seen more like the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X, a more powerful mid gen release, attempting to keep up with Sony and Microsoft. Nintendo's eagerness to port WiiU titles and sell them at full retail somewhat supports this. So if Sony and Microsoft do release new hardware on a generational cycle and Nintendo doesn't then it's really more Nintendo failing to properly keep up with the trend and potentially falling behind. Are you thinking that everyone else should wait for Switch to live a long and happy life to keep the playing field level?

Last edited:
The Switch could be seen more like the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X, a more powerful mid gen release, attempting to keep up with Sony and Microsoft. Nintendo's eagerness to port WiiU titles and sell them at full retail somewhat supports this. So if Sony and Microsoft do release new hardware on a generational cycle and Nintendo doesn't then it's really more Nintendo failing to properly keep up with the trend and potentially falling behind. Are you thinking that everyone else should wait for Switch to live a long and happy life to keep the playing field level?
No, I don't think people should wait.

But I also acknowledge that releasing the Switch when they did was a successful "dodge" of the typical generation structure. Nintendo has been talking about this since 2004-2006 when they introduced the Wii and DS to the market.

What will happen is PS5 and X2 will compete against one another normally over the AAA space while Switch corners the lower-end market that wants something more than cellphone games. Halfway through the X2/PS5's lifecycle, the Switch's successor will launch. That isn't to say that Switch only caters to the lower end or that PS5/X2 will lack mass appeal, but generally that is how I see Gen 9 playing itself out.

thelastword

Banned
I agree, I think Switch is pretty much done when any of these next gen machines hit, they're already behind their sales projection by a good bit this year and expect to make the bulk of these sales for the holidays, I don't think it will quite pan out.....The huge problem is this; XBS, XBX, PS4, PRO are already leagues ahead of Switch spec wise, if people start seeing a new gen XBOX-TWO or PS5, it will slow switch sales to a crawl in the next year or two...

DryvBy

I don't think this will last imo. We'll still have generations but with a better model in the middle.

Harlock

Yes and no. While you still having Sony and Microsoft, one need to release a new console close to another.

FStubbs

The Wii U came out before the Xbox One and PS4, so Nintendo was already off the other two.

Switch came out about when you would have expected the 3DS successor to come out. It was just strong enough for them to do away with the Wii U.

Enter the Switch Pro or some other iteration of a more powerful based Switch above the base model. This has really been happening since the redesign of the top loading NES, the new style SNES and made popular and more mainstream with the small PSone and PS2 slim. Nintendo kinda caught on and did so many versions of the DS, DS Lite, DSI, DS XL 3DS and new 3DS XL it became daunting for the average person, still we all keep buying it up, myself included with probably 3 different new 3DS XL themed systems.

Enter the Switch Pro or some other iteration of a more powerful based Switch above the base model. This has really been happening since the redesign of the top loading NES, the new style SNES and made popular and more mainstream with the small PSone and PS2 slim. Nintendo kinda caught on and did so many versions of the DS, DS Lite, DSI, DS XL 3DS and new 3DS XL it became daunting for the average person, still we all keep buying it up, myself included with probably 3 different new 3DS XL themed systems.
Yeah we'll probably see a Switch Pro in a few years too (I personally don't believe the rumors that it will come int 2019).

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I don't think this will last imo. We'll still have generations but with a better model in the middle.

Agreed. You will have a PS5 with PS5 games, but it will still play PS4 software within the PSN ecosystem.

Cross-gen will be more seamless for developers if they choose that route early on.

Last edited:

ROMhack

I imagine it'll still feel like we have cycles because companies clearly benefit from creating hype around each console cycle.

Also this guy gets around. I just Googled 'Xbox One X sales' to check something and there was his face on the first article I opened.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I'm thinking I'm OK with upgraded hardware every 3-4 years if my existing games still work and I get a performance bump.

Top Bottom