• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transcript of Obama's moving Hiroshima speech

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought the speech was pretty moving but my Japanese wife tells me that a lot of the Japanese media is only mentioning that it wasn't an apology and was blaming the events on the nature of man. That's at least what 3 news sources were saying. She mainly keeps up on yahoo jp.

That's because the Japanese media is largely run by the Koreans who like to make this sort of fuss. My ex wife, her family and friends all liked the speech and have said that Japan never wanted an apology in the first place, more of a recognition of what happened and that the world needs to move on and learn from it. And from what I've read, that's been accomplished so people are generally pleased.

Alas a lot of Japanese press is Korean controlled and those lot will go a long way in making the Japanese out to be sore losers. Of course some people will always be pissed. You can't expect a child who lost their entire family and community after the bombings to just stand up and go "well pearl harbour innit" but I can bet some news outlets are going to blow this way out of proportion while pushing for apologies towards Korea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom