• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Truck Gaf! Opinions and experience needed.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I'm looking into a truck for my next vehicle. I've never owned one. Driven plenty. The utility and dependability of a truck make them irresistible to me. Not to mention how they hold their value so well. I'm primarily looking in the midsize range. Something like a Tacoma or a Colorado. I love Rams for the aesthetics but they aren't the best from what I've heard? Any advice would be welcome. I'm not loyal to any brands in particular.

UnNamed

Banned
Before buying my current car, I really wanted a truck (pick-up), I don't care about cost of the fuel, the enviroment (but just because I don't use the car often) or the fact this monsters are difficult to drive in narrow streets in the city I live. Sadly, in my country you can have a truck only for work, you can't use for the family. Also, they are all diesel, and in Europe diesel cars have lot of limitations.

I really wanted the Ford Ranger Wildtrak. Maybe one day...

AJUMP23

As far as a reliable vehicle goes, I do not think you can beat the Toyota. I would look there.

The Ford F150 is the most popular but I would always choose the Toyota over the Ford.

Test drive a few just to get a feel, and look at the consumer reports for reliability.

usctrojan

I drive a colorado and chose it over the tacoma for a few reasons. The big one was that Tacoma still comes with rear drum brakes while the colorado has 4 wheel disc brakes. Second, the ZR2 has front and rear lockers which are great for off road situations or any dicey situation really.

Also, research the V6 in the colorado and youll find its a very simple engine (good thing, imo). Granted the v6 in the tacoma is considered bulletproof.

Alebrije

Silverado , have mine since 2007 and never left me stuck.

Colorado and Tacomas are expensive for what you get , better go to direcy to a Silverado.

But if you just want a smaller truck get a NISSSAN FRONTIER MIDNIGHT EDITION

Last edited:

SpiceRacz

Tacoma owner here. I've owned/driven everything except Honda Ridgelines. If you're looking for a mid size truck, Tacoma is the only choice imo. Get the V6, if you can. Tacoma's generally are a little behind in the bells and whistles, but that goes to show where their focus lies - Dependability.

haxan7

Banned
I don’t own a truck but I watch a lot of car youtubers.

the F150 and Toyotas are your best bet for something that will last and hold its value. All the American manufacturers besides Ford are known for lacking reliability. I even know a retired veteran who prefers Chevy trucks but bought an F150 for his current truck because the quality isn’t there in Chevys.

Qwell

I can't speak with any historical evidence / advice, but I also recently wanted to get my first truck. I did a lot of research and settled on the Tundra, all I really cared about is dependability / reliability, I don't care about tech, as long as I have a way of adding bluetooth and a backup camera (thing is huge) I was golden. I read about the Tundras that made it over 1 million miles on original engine / transmission, saw that they easily get 400k+ miles and started my hunt. Found a great deal on a very bare bones one, but so far (bought around end of May) I love it, its my first V8, and my first truck, I got a 2010 "work package" so it doesn't even have auto headlights or intermittent wipers and only has manual mirrors. But no big deal, I put a new head unit that gives me bluetooth and backup camera and I love driving the thing. My brother actually borrowed it for a few days when he was moving and his wife had thought about getting a truck for a little bit, and driving the Tundra put her over the edge and they bought a Tacoma a few days later. I was thinking about Tacoma as well, but I'm a taller and heavier dude so I wanted the full size. It is pretty beat up, lots of paint scratches, dents and 200k miles on it, but it was a farm truck that 3 generations used and the grandson was a mechanic and they took real good care of it mechanically speaking, just not aesthetics :)

DoomGyver

I had a Ranger and I never had an issue with it. They’ve changed to a newer model since then. If I were looking at only new midsized trucks I would purchase a Tacoma 4x4 off road edition.

Azzurri

Have you've watched any youtube videos of the new 2022 Nissan Frontier?

Completely new truck, fist redesign since like 2007.

If I were to get a Mid-size it be the new 2022 Nissan or wait and see what the new redesign Tacoma is gonna look like for 2023.

haxan7

Banned
V3Xbs1z.jpg

j0hnnix

after owning a few different cars, Corolla, 2005 GTO, Lexus is350, infinity G35, Mazda cx-7( still have it collecting dust) went and got a Ford F150 supercrew 6.5' bed w Coyote V8, some additional mods. I will never go back to another car. Taken few trips to Florida, SC, Texas, smooth ride, comfortable, AC solid af in 100 degree weather. It's been solid, I did contemplate Toyota Tundra and still love the look of the truck.

Probably next Truck will be another Ford just move to an F350. Truck so much more convenient, towing, moving , space.

Last edited:

TransTrender

Gold Member
I recently got a 2021 F150 Platinum with the 3.5EB SuperCrew 6.5" bed and most of the boxes checked aside from pro power upgrades (which I regret not getting) and the pano sunroof (lol get lost).
It's astoundingly good.
Put about 3500 miles on it in the last two months with summer trips and it's such a pleasure to drive on long trips. It's hard to describe. With the driver assist features it makes long hauls fly by, as you're enjoying the soft ride with a gigantic greenhouse with excellent sound isolation.
Prior truck was a 2007 Chevy Silverado 2500HD - 235000 miles and it finally died on the way to the dealership, which was like 5 miles away. Crazy good timing.
Current car is a 2017 BMW M2
While the M2 is a totally different type of car it's funny how quickly you get used to expecting all of these creature comforts which the truck has.

Originally I was looking at the outgoing Titan XD's because there were deals to be had, but decided to pass.
Passed on the Chevy's since they seem entirely outclassed.
Passed on the Rams for various reasons, as well as their short/long term quality issues. Back when I was doing my research in Nov 2020 Jan 2021 there were some fucking gold nuggets in here. JFC.
Passed on the Frontier/Tacoma because they were too small.
Passed on the Tundra since it's entirely outclassed.

Last edited:

StormCell

OP, you probably couldn't have picked a worse time to want a truck. I'm right there with you, though, because I've had my GMC Sierra since about 2013 and I'd like some newer perks like a backing camera. I'm on the fence about adding new electronics to basically a 10 year old truck. That said, I'm at 110,000 miles and it's never ever not even once let me down. I hear all the praise for Ford F-series trucks, but there are good reasons why the Chevy Silverados (which the Sierras basically are) are also very popular trucks. In my 8 years with this truck, the only issues I've encountered are a couple of failing electric Window switches and some door handles that broke.

It's possibly the worst time to want a truck because new inventory is scarce and prices are going to balloon until this resolves. There is not a pickup in the world worth more than $65K. Get outta here. I've even seen 1-year old used Fords asking for $85K. Holy shit.

PS. When you buy a truck, just go ahead and get the 8-cylinder. They make mid-size trucks with V6's and stuff, but if you're gonna get a truck go ahead and get one that will do some towing. You won't regret it. Trucks are born to work, boss. Get a truck that wants to do a job and won't let you down.

Last edited:

Azzurri

I recently got a 2021 F150 Platinum with the 3.5EB SuperCrew 6.5" bed and most of the boxes checked aside from pro power upgrades (which I regret not getting) and the pano sunroof (lol get lost).
It's astoundingly good.
Put about 3500 miles on it in the last two months with summer trips and it's such a pleasure to drive on long trips. It's hard to describe. With the driver assist features it makes long hauls fly by, as you're enjoying the soft ride with a gigantic greenhouse with excellent sound isolation.
Prior truck was a 2007 Chevy Silverado 2500HD - 235000 miles and it finally died on the way to the dealership, which was like 5 miles away. Crazy good timing.
While the M2 is a totally different type of car it's funny how quickly you get used to expecting all of these creature comforts which the truck has.

Originally I was looking at the outgoing Titan XD's because there were deals to be had, but decided to pass.
Passed on the Rams for various reasons, as well as their short/long term quality issues. Back when I was doing my research in Nov 2020 Jan 2021 there were some fucking gold nuggets in here. JFC.

Yea, Ford is another level.

I have the new 3rd Gen 2022 Ford Raptor on order that should be here by Oct/Nov and they're just leagues better than Chevy/GMC, only RAM can rival it, but after owning a 2019 RAM Rebel for 3 years now there are just too many minor issues and bad over build quality on FCA products. I'm lucky the engine and Trans. have been rock solid, but stupid things like Infotainment getting stuck, Mirrors getting stuck, bed latch getting stuck and stupid things like those shoudln't happen on a 50k truck.

I've also had a 2020 F250 that was great, but traded it in for my G-wagon. We also have a 2022 F250 Diesel lariat loaded up coming in a month or 2 for my brothers work truck. The Raptor will be my work truck, haha

Last edited:

TransTrender

Gold Member
OP, you probably couldn't have picked a worse time to want a truck.

It's possibly the worst time to want a truck because new inventory is scarce and prices are going to balloon until this resolves. There is not a pickup in the world worth more than $65K. Get outta here. I've even seen 1-year old used Fords asking for $85K. Holy shit.
Yup.
Ordered in January, delivered at the end of June, paid invoice.
Lucked out by having my truck ship complete from the factory and not end up in a parking lot for months while waiting for chips.
The only thing the factory didn't do was wheel well liners and spray in, which the dealership did right when it got there.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
It's astoundingly good.

Can you elaborate on how you feel the Chevys and Toyotas were outclassed? In my research, the Toyotas at least are extremely well regarded.

TransTrender

Gold Member
Can you elaborate on how you feel the Chevys and Toyotas were outclassed? In my research, the Toyotas at least are extremely well regarded.
My only suggestion would be to drive all three of them, try to look at comparable price points (lol), and make the decision yourself.
While I did like the steering and brake feel of the GMC Sierras, it's totally outclassed in every other department.
Tundra never stood a chance.
I also tow so that's part of the factor and having driven Fords and Chevy's/GMCs while towing my stuff the Ford is on a completely different level as far as the powertrain goes.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
My only suggestion would be to drive all three of them, try to look at comparable price points (lol), and make the decision yourself.
While I did like the steering and brake feel of the GMC Sierras, it's totally outclassed in every other department.
I also tow so that's part of the factor and having driven Fords and Chevy's/GMCs while towing my stuff the Ford is on a completely different level as far as the powertrain goes.
For budget reasons, I'm probably going to get a mid-size. What would be your recommendations there? Are the Rangers good?

StormCell

I, likewise, went in to the truck shopping experience (back in 2013) thinking that the Toyota Tundra would be the leading truck, but after test driving lots of trucks the Tundras just weren't at the top of my list anymore. A lot has likely changed since I was in the market, but at the time, for me, the interiors couldn't be less desirable. I like a dash that is shaped functionally and not slanted so everything slides off. The console seemed to take up a lot of interior space -- that's the only way I can think of to describe it. Since I was shopping used, none of the Tundras I saw had a middle seat -- I like bench-style seating with the middle seat that can double as a cup holder and storage.

My next truck will be a 250/2500 series. The only thing I regret not getting on my current truck, besides backing camera, is a sliding back glass. I also wish I had gotten the canopy, too.

With friends who go off-roading / tow a lot / pretty much have every brand of truck, I would say:

- Ford: this is the de-facto choice for many, I cannot stand their infotainment system, the Ecoboost engines are neat tech however they are unreliable af, Ford transmissions are suspect, and IIRC Ford ranks near the bottom of reliability lists. The one I test drove (2020 Lariat w/ EcoBoost) was cramped compared to my 2019 Ram Bighorn, the turbos on the engine made it feel laggy, the stop/start SUCKED, and the backup camera stayed on while driving (I had to shut off the truck and restart).

- Chevy: nothing outstanding and nothing bad. There's a reason most fleet vehicles are GMC/Chevy. However they've gotten pricey for what they offer (which is really basic af, especially getting from my dad in law's 2018 Silverado into my Ram).

- Toyota: the ol' workhorse. I would trust a Toyota more than any other vehicle. However they are pricey af and the options are limited unless you spend big bucks. Even the used ones cost a ton. Not sure if the presumed reliability can outweigh the price and features of:

- Ram: my favorite. Blends power (5.7 Hemi go brrr), refinement (voted best luxury car by cars.com ... I'm serious: https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...ury-car-of-the-year-by-carscom-300986532.html ), and overall value (Motor Trend Truck of The Year - 3 years in a row: https://www.ramtrucks.com/motortrend.html ).

I am quite unashamedly biased towards Ram, but I've driven the top of the line models of all 4 of the above and there's a reason it's truck of the year the past 3 years in a row. If you want near reliability of Toyota with more refinement, power, and a non-astronomical price, they win every time.

I would never be caught dead in a Nissan or Honda truck (and I like Honda).

tl;dr ranking:

1. Ram
2. Toyota
3. Chevy
4. Ford

Pic for sexiness:

I would stay far away from Ford. Most that buy them simply don't know any better (op in question was citing random reports and websites instead of knowing and driving them). When their fuel pump/transmission/turbos blow the engine occurs... they'll switch to something else.

Last edited:

j0hnnix

This is very true, used truck values have gone up and dealerships are salivating because of this. I've had a few calls asking if I'm wanting to sell my truck back to the dealership but obviously they don't like what I ask them for since I know the value of it now.

Qwell

When I was researching for my Tundra I saw the same stuff, and why its all about preference. What I heard (and didn't care about) was the fact that Toyota always lagged behind in tech department. Tundra specifically has had almost the same body / engine / styling since 2007, there was a minor update to the dash and front grill in 2014, and they did go from a 5 speed AT to 6 speed AT in 2010 I think it was? I'm not sure about the latest models exactly, but like I think they are still missing Android Auto / Iphone Car stuff, no dynamic cylinder reduction (probably a good thing as I hear that makes the engines very unreliable, where it drops from 8 to 4 cylinder to save gas), no 8-10 speed transmission, or lane assist, auto cruise type features stuff like that. Oh and they still use leaf springs in the rear end, and I guess most of the other trucks have moved to strut / shocks or whatever (sorry not the biggest car person) ... I can attest that my 2010 Tundra drives like a truck, its big, it has body roll when I go over a speed bump, but honestly I like that. I know its not luxury, but I wasn't looking for that, I was looking to throw dirt, rock, barkdust, wood and all kinds of other stuff in it and not care if it got banged up a little. It was after I got it that I found out just how much I enjoyed driving it, even though its not the smoothest ride. I got the front bench seat so when we get another dog I can have them sit up front with me, or my kids when we go drive around looking at Christmas lights and stuff. Just puts a smile on face when I start it up, have my arm hanging out the window and putting around town.

StormCell

When I was researching for my Tundra I saw the same stuff, and why its all about preference. What I heard (and didn't care about) was the fact that Toyota always lagged behind in tech department. Tundra specifically has had almost the same body / engine / styling since 2007, there was a minor update to the dash and front grill in 2014, and they did go from a 5 speed AT to 6 speed AT in 2010 I think it was? I'm not sure about the latest models exactly, but like I think they are still missing Android Auto / Iphone Car stuff, no dynamic cylinder reduction (probably a good thing as I hear that makes the engines very unreliable, where it drops from 8 to 4 cylinder to save gas), no 8-10 speed transmission, or lane assist, auto cruise type features stuff like that. Oh and they still use leaf springs in the rear end, and I guess most of the other trucks have moved to strut / shocks or whatever (sorry not the biggest car person) ... I can attest that my 2010 Tundra drives like a truck, its big, it has body roll when I go over a speed bump, but honestly I like that. I know its not luxury, but I wasn't looking for that, I was looking to throw dirt, rock, barkdust, wood and all kinds of other stuff in it and not care if it got banged up a little. It was after I got it that I found out just how much I enjoyed driving it, even though its not the smoothest ride. I got the front bench seat so when we get another dog I can have them sit up front with me, or my kids when we go drive around looking at Christmas lights and stuff. Just puts a smile on face when I start it up, have my arm hanging out the window and putting around town.
Wow, this is the first I've heard of this, and owned and driven rigs with DCR as far back as 2008. Both my Grand Cherokee and my GMC Sierra have this feature, and it's been great in both. I've towed 20 ft and 21 ft bass boats with both vehicles. I never would have thought it was a risk to cause more problems.

SpiceRacz

Imo, Toyota puts less effort into the tech stuff on their trucks. The gas mileage is worse too, I believe. What you're paying for is a truck that will run 300k+ no problem if you take decent care of it. There's a reason you see so many older Tacomas on the road. The fucking things just go forever.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Imo, Toyota puts less effort into the tech stuff on their trucks. The gas mileage is worse too, I believe. What you're paying for is a truck that will run 300k+ no problem if you take decent care of it. There's a reason you see so many older Tacomas on the road. The fucking things just go forever.
That's why I'm leaning towards them. High reliability and excellent resale value. Shame about the prices even for a used one lol.

j0hnnix

Don't forget the god tier Toyota Hilux.

StormCell

There's another brand out there that charges out the ass and packs older infotainment and tech into their vehicles.

Subaru.

Their dealers are the biggest snobs on the planet. They will stare you dead in the eyes and tell you that your brand new whatever-it-is ain't worth the price of their 5 year old Subaru with 112,000 miles on it, and we're talking about a Subaru with 10 year old infotainment devices in it at this point.

Huh!

Last edited:
That's why I'm leaning towards them. High reliability and excellent resale value. Shame about the prices even for a used one lol.

IIRC from past convos you are into guns as well, and there's a saying gun folk always have "buy once cry once".

There's a huge drop off from Ram/Toyota/Chevy IMO. Toyota without a doubt will hold its value the longest, that is for sure.

One thing to keep in mind (as others have pointed out) is the used/new car market *sucks* right now. I'd wait at least 6 months if you can.

I know it's subjective but I find the Rams to be the sexiest of all trucks. Shame they don't make Dakotas anymore.

Preaching to the choir on both points, my man.

Before I bought my Ram I was searching far and wide for a Dakota not way overpriced. Those V8 Magnums were fantastic.

Last edited:

StormCell

There are other things to consider when going into the used vehicle market, though, because it's not like used vehicles with over 100k miles on them don't have their share of costly problems that aren't related to the vehicle being able to run. Anyone who has owned anything from no-or-low miles passed a hundred thousand knows that all the interior features wear out over time. I'm talking door controls, seat adjustments, and similar.

My best advice is to go with low miles on as new a truck as you can get out of any of the major makers as long as the truck is loaded with the features you want. I wanted running boards and a full sized truck bed, and that meant I passed up on damn near every Tundra, Ram, and Ford I looked at because king cab with 4 doors and room for baby seats ain't what my truck is about. I bought the Sierra with 12,000 miles and haven't had to leave it at a shop yet.

There's another brand out there that charges out the ass and packs older infotainment and tech into their vehicles.

Subaru.

Their dealers are the biggest snobs on the planet. They will stare you dead in the eyes and tell you that your brand new whatever-it-is ain't worth the price of their 5 year old Subaru with 112,000 miles on it, and we're talking about a Subaru with 10 year old infotainment devices in it at this point.

Huh!

You're not lying.

Before we got our Caravan, I looked at that new 3 row Subaru Ascent... the salesmen acted like it was a pain in the ass just to let me test drive it.

I do like Subaru's... but the snobbery is a bit much. They are reliable, but they also love blowing head-gaskets (turbos don't help) and as you said charge a lot for outdated tech.

I don’t own a truck but I watch a lot of car youtubers.

the F150 and Toyotas are your best bet for something that will last and hold its value. All the American manufacturers besides Ford are known for lacking reliability. I even know a retired veteran who prefers Chevy trucks but bought an F150 for his current truck because the quality isn’t there in Chevys.

Ford has been resting on its laurels for a while. Ram, Chevy, and Toyota all rank far above it in reliability.

F150 isn't even in the top 5: https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/the-most-reliable-new-trucks-on-the-market

Also as an overall car maker - they rank far below even some Euro brands.

Edit: seems Consumer Reports conflicts with US News, but Ram and Toyota are still top 10... Chevy and Ford... not so much (Ford is abysmal): https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...lity-survey-2021-cars-trucks-suvs/6337648002/

Last edited:

haxan7

Banned
Ford has been resting on its laurels for a while. Ram, Chevy, and Toyota all rank far above it in reliability.

F150 isn't even in the top 5: https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/the-most-reliable-new-trucks-on-the-market

Also as an overall car maker - they rank far below even some Euro brands.

Edit: seems Consumer Reports conflicts with US News, but Ram and Toyota are still top 10... Chevy and Ford... not so much (Ford is abysmal): https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...lity-survey-2021-cars-trucks-suvs/6337648002/
I get a lot of my info from this guy (Scotty Kilmer). He's been a mechanic forever. Before YouTube my dad used to watch him on TV:

Here's what he thinks of the truck brands. He's always shitting on American cars (this video is 2 yrs old).

prepare to be triggered, Dodge Ram is his worst full size truck.

Last edited:

dcll

Banned
Before buying my current car, I really wanted a truck (pick-up), I don't care about cost of the fuel, the enviroment (but just because I don't use the car often) or the fact this monsters are difficult to drive in narrow streets in the city I live. Sadly, in my country you can have a truck only for work, you can't use for the family. Also, they are all diesel, and in Europe diesel cars have lot of limitations.

I really wanted the Ford Ranger Wildtrak. Maybe one day...
What the hell kind of place dictates you can’t drive a truck for personal use??? Time to move!

I get a lot of my info from this guy (Scotty Kilmer). He's been a mechanic forever. Before YouTube my dad used to watch him on TV:

Here's what he thinks of the truck brands. He's always shitting on American cars (this video is 2 yrs old).

prepare to be triggered, Dodge Ram is his worst full size truck.

Yeah I have a lot of mechanic friends (and watch the same YTers)... only problem is they're stuck in the past.

Ram had a rough patch with the 3rd and 4th gens during FCA/Mopar transition period. But during that same time Ford rolled out their awful 10speed transmission and Ecoboost garbage, and Chevy somehow messed up their ancient tried and true LS engines (their transmissions were always meh).

Right now it's pretty clear that Toyota and Ram as of today are the frontrunners, with Ford, Chevy, Nissan all far behind.

The Honda Ridgeline is nice, but... it's not... a truck. It's a unibody SUV with the ass cut off. I still like it... but eh.

Jeffery223

Neo Member
Have you've watched any youtube videos of the new 2022 Nissan Frontier?

Completely new truck, fist redesign since like 2007.

If I were to get a Mid-size it be the new 2022 Nissan or wait and see what the new redesign Tacoma rims are gonna look like for 2023.

The back seat of a Ford F-150 extended cab is comfortable. According to what I've heard, the 4.6 is more reliable than the 5.4 — There are some good deals on Ford 4x4s.

I'm very pleased with our 2005 Toyota Tundra. It's a two-cab vehicle. On the highway, it gets about 17 miles per gallon, which isn't great, but it's extremely dependable. They aren't as expensive as Tacoma's on the used market. The lack of headroom in the Tacoma turned me off.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
The Honda Ridgeline is nice, but... it's not... a truck. It's a unibody SUV with the ass cut off. I still like it... but eh.

I’ve been researching mid-size trucks like crazy, and what Ridgeline lacks in off-road capability and towing (compared to body on frame trucks), it has solid payload and some really useful features.

As a daily driver it’s probably the vehicle that would make the most sense for me when I get around to buying.

If only it looked like the Chevy Colorado instead of a Passport with a bed.

daffyduck

Prices have indeed shot up, but they still retain their value much better than cars. And YOLO does apply here.

Most of the stuff on the lots are loaded to the gills full size. If you want a cheaper mid size or unibody truck, it’s still tough without a waiting list.

Top Bottom