• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump administration seen as more truthful than news media: poll

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knoxcore

I really don't know what to say. This is what the American people want. This is what they voted for. Maybe we deserve to suffer after all our transgressions over the last century.

Nothing wrong with holding the media accountable, but I can see the argument with the Trump administration being perhaps bold with it

we should not forget that white house administrations aren't exactly always friendly with the media, historically speaking

Kenclops

Banned
No, they are not. Polls can be off, that's why there's a margin of error. You don't throw out a 60/40 result because a different 52/48 poll turned out to be a 51/49 reality.

One poll had Hillsry up 12%. One of the few that called it, The Los Angeles Times, had a guy at the top who literally said he felt what was in his gut and adjusted the numbers to what he felt accordingly. He was a fluke.

WedgeX

Banned
It's sad that the actual media is within the margin of error in truthfulness to Trump with this survey. Using a 3.9 "margin of error" is some bullshit on the part of the surveyor.

Raven117

Gold Member
We are through the looking glass here people.

News Organizations, I want to give a special fuck you. While all you assholes for pandering to the lowest common denominator, giving editorials more than news, basically becoming entertainment and pandering to any one side...you have collectively lost the trust of all us.

You, yes you, help create Trump by not only covering him non-stop because he was good for raitings but also failing to do your job and bash Obama constantly thus giving at the very least an appearance of impropriety.

As such, Americans have lost faith in you and now we are being lied to by our politicans because you failed us.

Thank you "News Organizations." You were expressly mentioned in the Constitution, and you fucked up.

Thanks,
Very angry,
Raven117

Codeblue

I mean, news media is a pretty wide net. Would have been interested in Trump admin vs different individual outlets.

Kusagari

I think the perceived unfair hatred of Trump from the "elites" and news media has driven Republican voters into even more of an echo chamber.

They really have become a cult.

ggx2ac

So this is only the thoughts of 617 people?

617 registered voters...that's a pretty small pool...

"A sample of 617 registered voters" lol okay

How to determine a sample size:
https://www.qualtrics.com/blog/determining-sample-size/

A sample size calculator for your convenience:
http://www.nss.gov.au/nss/home.nsf/pages/Sample+size+calculator

If you input into that calculator:

Confidence Level: 95%

Population Size: 9999999 (It's okay if it is large because that is usually for something unknown)

Proportion: 0.5 (Standard for conservative estimate of variance)

Confidence Interval: 0.05 (Accuracy of the result within 5% which is usually standard)

You can leave the rest blank and click on calculate. It will fill the rest in and give you a sample size of 385 (Which is the same as that qualtrics linked example) as the minimum you need to have good results from a survey. Otherwise, in statistics there are other ways to use the data and do a different kind of test if the sample size is "too small" in which I am talking about n < 20

You can put 617 for your sample size if you want to see how it differs from the 385 example I gave regarding error rates.

Branduil

Conservatives live in a completely different reality. I don't see much hope of ever curing them, especially the older ones.

Steelrain

Welp sure as hell not letting my wife get citizenship anytime soon. I can bail the hell out of here if things go to shit.

Jetman

Wait, did they specify WHICH news media? Maybe pollers were considering crooked ass FOX News into their answers...

Oh well, America was fun while it lasted.

I guess I just hope the people that think it's truthful get hurt the most by this administration.

But who am I kidding.

wildfire

Banned
Just shoot me in the head and kill me already.

America is becoming such an embarrassment.

You weren't a fan of the Daily Show? If you are then I suggest you reflect on how poorly the media has done their job for the last 15 years. Heck look how poorly Trump was mishandled during the primaries and election. Not too many outlets were consistent in exposing his flaws until it was way too late and some still were slow to react properly to his election bid.

People have had an axe to grind against the liberal media for decades. This shouldn't shock anyone. Keep in mind a great many people voted Trump to "shake things up".

The fact that liberals are losing they minds is good enough for them.

Sadly I think in the long term it's gonna fuck em over when the results of the policies come to fruition...

Kenclops

Banned
People have had an axe to grind against the liberal media for decades. This shouldn't shock anyone. Keep in mind a great many people voted Trump to "shake things up".

The fact that liberals are losing they minds is good enough for them.

Sadly I think in the long term it's gonna fuck em over when the results of the policies come to fruition...

No joke.

driggonny

Banned
"Data was collected using an Interactive Voice Response (IVR) system of landlines only"

Collecting poll numbers through landlines could skew the results quite a bit. At least if I remember my statistics class correctly :p

Strike

I know that there are a certain subset of voters that are beyond reach, but that number still seems too high.

"Data was collected using an Interactive Voice Response (IVR) system of landlines only"

Collecting poll numbers through landlines could skew the results quite a bit. At least if I remember my statistics class correctly :p

Competent pollsters adjust data based off known differences for this sort of thing so it may not mean much (but it may also lead to overfitting where say if one of the few young people picked up is an outlier they end up with disproportionate weight).

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
I can't live in a country where a plurality of the population supports the Muslim ban and where the well-established traditional media is considered less trustworthy than the propaganda of a Putin puppet government...

Canada, got any room up there?

You can move in with me ;)

You weren't a fan of the Daily Show? If you are then I suggest you reflect on how poorly the media has done their job for the last 15 years. Heck look how poorly Trump was mishandled during the primaries and election. Not too many outlets were consistent in exposing his flaws until it was way too late and some still were slow to react properly to his election bid.

To be completely honest i hardly remember what it was like before Trump. I remember a lot of buzz around transgender folk and bathrooms... oh, such was the desire to hide discrimination in such obvious rags of the cheapest cloth. Today even that is too much effort.

akira28

Who the fuck are they polling because I'm suddenly starting to no longer care what a sizable swathe of american voters think .

edit: landlines only? so basically grandma and grandpa. Well, shit.

I mean this makes sense... the GOP stats tilt the overall and enough left wingers believe the media is corrupt for completely different reasons to not be able to make up the difference between the two stats.

manfestival

1Iw0L8C.gif

We're doomed.
I only came here to lurk and then.. I saw this marvelous gif

I mean this makes sense... the GOP stats tilt the overall and enough left wingers believe the media is corrupt for completely different reasons to not be able to make up the difference between the two stats.

Yup. This. You'd get very different Democratic responses at least if the question was "Is the current Administration more honest than the Media".

digdug2k

I mean, news media is a pretty wide net. Would have been interested in Trump admin vs different individual outlets.
Yeah, but the Trump org basically lies constantly. It's still shocking people would call them trustworthy or truthful... At all to me. I think most major news orgs do a fairly good job nowadays. Fox is really the only major exception there and even on it, if you ignore panels and opinion shows it's somewhat passable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom