• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump: Same-Sex Marriage is "Fine", “It was settled in the Supreme Court."

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/gop-...-trump-sex-marriage-settled/story?id=43513067

“It’s law,” he said in an interview with CBS’ ‘60 Minutes’ that aired Sunday. “It was settled in the Supreme Court. I mean it’s done.”

“These cases have gone to the Supreme Court. They’ve been settled. And I’m – I’m fine with that,” he added.

He did say that he would appoint justices that could overturn Roe v. Wade, however, and make abortion legal only on a state-by-state basis. He also said that his justices will add no provisions to the second amendment.

Fury451

Banned
So he is also pro choice now?

My take is that he only said that stuff to get elected. It's pretty obvious because he's been on the record being pro-choice before.

Pence on the other hand though... Going by the debates, we know he's not opposed to openly disagreeing with Pence.

Whether Trump is personally against gay marriage or not won't really matter if he appoints multiple justices willing to overturn Obergefell and the government overall is run by Republicans who would support that.

It also doesn't change the fact that Mike Pence is his Vice President or that the Republican party has shown zero interest in defending or supporting LGBT rights in general because of "religious liberty".

Teggy

I'm very curious of a case that somehow comes out with the ruling that abortion is ok in one state and not in another...

This guy is going to be a moderate president. I think he said outrageous things to get elected. It's tragic all the violence that has come from the outrageous remarks. Republicans who voted for him will likely feel betrayed. I don't think he's going to do any of the outrageous stuff he said he'd do

Fox Mulder

Means nothing, he wants justices to overturn roe vs wade which was decided by the courts and has been a wet dream target of republicans forever.

His party still wants to stack the court with justices that do want to over turn these cases.

Did people actually forget that during the primaries, Trump said that transgender people could use any bathroom they wanted and he didn't care?

He doesn't care about this stuff. He never has.

The Republicans probably won't be happy though, let's see what happens.

Lowmelody

...and his conservative supreme court selection(s) and senate will change those laws.

Nobody should be fooled by this. He is conning everyone, big shocker. Marriage equality is gone, it's only a matter of time.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Trump never struck me as giving a shit about gay marriage whatoever, but that can also be a bad thing as that means he doesn't care how the issue shifts. Republicans are going to force him to pick an anti-gay judge and there's little reason to believe that he wouldn't do it.

I honestly see a shit ton of LGBT people dropping protests if that's the case.

The only issue is that despite the changes in tune by Trump (which are good things no doubt), he still has a portion of his supporters that are still hateful and energized and won't suddenly be ok with gay marriage because of Trump. Donald absolutely still needs to denounce the hateful acts that have happened.

MogCakes

So what does he actually want to do? He's backing down on a lot.

He wants to do what is easiest. Path of least resistance and all that. He is the Alt-Right Republicans' puppet now though, they're going to pull his strings for all he's worth. They'll throw him to the lions and push another one of their own as the 'true savior' or some shit who will do what Trump couldn't if he doesn't last the 4 year term without a major scandal or blunder.

Davide

Did people actually forget that during the primaries, Trump said that transgender people could use any bathroom they wanted and he didn't care?

Agreed, but this was him earlier this year.

“WALLACE: But -- but just to button this up very quickly, sir, are you saying that if you become president, you might try to appoint justices to overrule the decision on same-sex marriage?”

TRUMP: “I would strongly consider that, yes.”

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
This guy is going to be a moderate president. I think he said outrageous things to get elected. It's tragic all the violence that has come from the outrageous remarks. Republicans who voted for him will likely feel betrayed. I don't think he's going to do any of the outrageous stuff he said he'd do

I'm never ever going to forgive the man for the things he's said publicly to get himself into the oval office. That said, I would be content with him being a moderate knowing it'd be a "fuck you" to all the fanatic shitbags who elected him, even if it wouldn't necessarily be a significant one.

It's really the cabinet he's picked that worries me more so.

Don't believe it for a second. Roe v Wade was too, and he's already made it clear he's getting a SCOTUS justice who wants to overturn that

I was just watching my local news were they were talking about this. They showed a clip from a 2011 interview were he said that knows many gay people and they're are all wonderful and should absolutely not be discriminated against.

Codeblue

Hopefully this is the case, but the more he surrounds himself with insane people, the more likely it is that one of them will get in his ear.

People like Pence and Bannon are straight up monsters, and the short list of cabinet potentials are similarly terrible.

Right, same with the Obamacare stuff regarding pre-existing conditions and allowing children to stay on their parent's plans later. I mean, the Obamacare stuff he explicitly said in one of the primary debates and yet people are acting like this is something new that he's said.

Does it really matter if he personally thinks one issue is decided whereas the other one is not? Will the conservative justice(s) he appoints make the same distinction?

There isn't much of a way to appoint justices who will overturn Roe but uphold Obergefell. Although it's a defensible philosophical position, legal thought doesn't usually fit in those categories. Most of the judges who would overturn Roe would be doing it because abortion is never mentioned in the constitution and Roe v Wade was just blatant legislation from the bench. The same is true of Obergefell.

You can justify both from a "living constitution" theory which allows the SCOTUS to refine the meaning of the constitution as they feel necessary, but those judges are political liberals and would uphold both decisions.

Hopefully this is the case, but the more he surrounds himself with insane people, the more likely it is that one of them will get in his ear.

People like Pence and Bannon are straight up monsters, and the short list of cabinet potentials are similarly terrible.

There's an enormous amount of history which shows Trump rarely listens to what his advisers said in his business career. He's very much an "I did it and I did it my way" kind of person, which is common among people who are self-made. The old adage "The problem with the self-made man is that he worships his creator" may end up saving the Republic, because there's little evidence that Trump would actually listen to Pence and Bannon if he disagrees with what they think. He most certainly didn't during his campaign, for people who were paying it any attention.

Teggy

I honestly don't know what to believe out of Trump anymore

Anymore? Most words that come out of his mouth are lies, why would anyone believe anything he has ever said. He's taken 3 sides on every issue depending on who he was talking to and has used made up facts to support his positions.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
So he is also pro choice now?
You would be pro choice if you have spent most of your life purchasing women and using them as objects. Not like he wants more trump jr's floating in the world than the brood that trails him already.

MIMIC

Banned

I also thought that him constantly attacking Hillary about her accepting donations from groups that "kill gays" kinda sorta meant that he was for gay rights. But that transcript was the sorta the opposite of that.

I think it's safe to say that no one knows how Trump actually feels about a lot of things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom