• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump saus he Believes Putin over American intelligence agencies

Kimawolf

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cn...p-vladimir-putin-election-meddling/index.html

President Donald Trump suggested on Saturday he's done confronting Russian President Vladimir Putin over his country's election meddling since it's insulting to the Russian leader.

Trump said he took Putin at his word that Russia did not seek to interfere in the US presidential election last year, despite a finding from US intelligence agencies that it did. The fraught relations between the two leaders was underscored anew when Putin's spokesman said election meddling did not come up when they spoke, even though Trump said it did.

He said he didn't meddle. He said he didn't meddle. I asked him again. You can only ask so many times," Trump told reporters aboard Air Force One as he flew from Da Nang to Hanoi in Vietnam. Trump spoke to Putin three times on the sidelines of summit here, where the Russia meddling issue arose.

"Every time he sees me, he says, 'I didn't do that,'" Trump said. "And I believe, I really believe, that when he tells me that, he means it."

"I think he is very insulted by it," Trump added

Yeah this is troubling. Meanwhile Russia says they never discussed it at all. Sooo... yeah.

Ok, now THAT is funny.

Btw, the Russians interfered but I haven't seen anything that strikes me as illegal/heinous meddling like hacking voting booth.

Stumping for Trump on Facebook, big deal. Wasn't Qatar dumping millions and millions into Hillary's campaign?

What's really the difference?

Ok, now THAT is funny.

Btw, the Russians interfered but I haven't seen anything that strikes me as illegal/heinous meddling like hacking voting booth.

Stumping for Trump on Facebook, big deal. Wasn't Qatar dumping millions and millions into Hillary's campaign?

And here we go.

Only 3 posts before Clinton was brought up.

How many until Obama?

finowns

Ok, now THAT is funny.

What are you talking about specifically? The 1 million Qatar gave the Clinton Foundation in or around Bill Clinton's birthday? What does that have to do with Russian interference in U.S elections?

And here we go.

Only 3 posts before Clinton was brought up.

How many until Obama?

Well lets be honest, Putin completely made Obama look like a fool repeatedly, Crimea, Obamas line in the sand.....

I don't like Putin or Trump but its basically one of these two scenarios

Putin played the Obama administration like fools and somehow hax0red the election

or

Trump actually won fair and square

finowns

Well lets be honest, Putin completely made Obama look like a fool repeatedly, Crimea, Obamas line in the sand.....

Putin played the Obama administration like fools and somehow hax0red the election

or

What is Obama's 'line in the sand'?

DorkyMohr

Banned

or

this guy is an idiot, ignore

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
These juniors. God
Yeah no kidding. Yeeesh.

or

How would you say Putin made Obama look like a fool? Honestly asking here, because I've read multiple interviews where Putin envied Obama for getting to do what he wanted internationally while the world scorned Russia for trying to flex any political power.

What are you talking about specifically? The 1 million Qatar gave the Clinton Foundation in or around Bill Clinton's birthday? What does that have to do with Russian interference in U.S elections?
My point is, focusing on the Russians only seems to me to be either disingenuous or misguided.

You think the Qataris, the Saudis, the Chinese, hell, even the Brits and the Germans aren't trying to sway elections to the candidate they prefer? Whether that be donations to campaigns or a family's charity foundation or Facebook posts.

Didn't Obama land himself in hot water for going to the UK and giving a speech on Brexit? Or was it the Scottish vote? At any rate, that was obvious interference.

The point is, foreign countries will ALWAYS "interfere" with open national elections. The redline will always be whether or not they actually rigged the voting.

ASAP

Damn, it must be so awful being a trump supporter. At the bedrock of your moral foundation, you have to view this man as a danger to America, the world, and a disgrace to rationality.

It must be so exhausting having to spend your days lying to yourself, all the time, over and over again, these people are so incredibly sad, you can’t talk to a trump supporter without questioning their moral and cognitive capabilities.

They’re following in the footsteps of a demented psychopath, they won’t be able to keep up unless they’re psychopaths too, these folks are going to have a total mental breakdown of the reality when Trump ends up in prison.

You are actively supporting the person that l will become the greatest traitor in American history.

Yeah no kidding. Yeeesh.

How would you say Putin made Obama look like a fool? Honestly asking here, because I've read multiple interviews where Putin envied Obama for getting to do what he wanted internationally while the world scorned Russia for trying to flex any political power.

The lack of action taken over Crimea comes to mind first.

Kimawolf

The problem comes from one group actively aiding adversarial countries to benefit from said interference. And even if you don't believe it. Doing nothing about a clear and present danger cause you are insecure as a president or believe it will show your campaign was dirty is at best negligence of your duty.

or

seeeesh

what is happening to this place smh

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
My point is, focusing on the Russians only seems to me to be either disingenuous or misguided.

You think the Qataris, the Saudis, the Chinese, hell, even the Brits and the Germans aren't trying to sway elections to the candidate they prefer? Whether that be donations to campaigns or a family's charity foundation or Facebook posts.

Didn't Obama land himself in hot water for going to the UK and giving a speech on Brexit? Or was it the Scottish vote? At any rate, that was obvious interference.

The point is, foreign countries will ALWAYS "interfere" with open national elections. The redline will always be whether or not they actually rigged the voting.
There's a difference between publicly stating the candidates they prefer or doing jokes on late night about the candidates, and the wide gaslighting and disinformation campaigns that went on in the most recent election. This isn't an AIPAC summit and lobbying we're talking about-- it's counter-intelligence created at the very highest levels of government in order to obviously weaken a country on the international stage.

And it worked! The US, as of right now, does not have the same intellectual or character leadership in the world that it did one year ago. POTUS is not someone that world leaders are as concerned with impressing in order to flex their international muscle.

Now I don't fault Russia for having a winning strategy. They get to do what they want without having to worry about US interference now, and the only pushback is the President saying "HEY VLAD YOU DIDNT DO THIS DID U? LOL OK I THOUGHT NOT K BYE" But what I just do NOT understand is the insistence on people in this country to bury their head in the sand and refuse to acknowledge that a very real action was taken against the United States and carried out successfully. And rather than learn from it and try to ensure that things like this don't happen in the future, the vast majority of people just don't care and would rather bitch about some other impropriety that Hillary Clinton had so they don't have to feel the need to address a rather large issue that happened in this election.

What's wrong with saying "Yes, this happened, and here's how we're going to make sure it doesn't happen in the future"? But nobody wants to say that, because it would somehow show that Trump wasn't the first pick on the dodgeball team.

Kimawolf

or

He did win. No one disputes that. This is about foreign interference on his behalf into the elections. An election is far more than just voting.
Edit: Read post above mine. Excellent explanation on why this is a serious issue.

LordRaptor

or

I mean, if your definition of Obama getting clowned is that didn't threaten to go to war over twitter, and instead went through usual diplomatic channels like sanctions and expulsion of diplomats, yes.

ASAP

I mean, this is the same party that supports raping women and raping children.

What do you expect, they’re traitors too.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
What lack of action? He joined an international force that put sanctions on Russia for it and tried to isolate their trade capabilities from the rest of the world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_sanctions_during_the_Ukrainian_crisis

What do you want, troops on the ground? A shooting war with one of the largest militaries in the world?

A country was invaded and their land stolen, a passenger plane was shot down in that war zone.

Russia still has that land and is still causing unrest and deaths in Eastern Ukraine.

Not enough was done. Like it or not America is the world police, the action taken obviously wasnt enough as Ukraine is still torn apart.

There's a difference between publicly stating the candidates they prefer or doing jokes on late night about the candidates, and the wide gaslighting and disinformation campaigns that went on in the most recent election. This isn't an AIPAC summit and lobbying we're talking about-- it's counter-intelligence created at the very highest levels of government in order to obviously weaken a country on the international stage.

And it worked! The US, as of right now, does not have the same intellectual or character leadership in the world that it did one year ago. POTUS is not someone that world leaders are as concerned with impressing in order to flex their international muscle.

Now I don't fault Russia for having a winning strategy. They get to do what they want without having to worry about US interference now, and the only pushback is the President saying "HEY VLAD YOU DIDNT DO THIS DID U? LOL OK I THOUGHT NOT K BYE" But what I just do NOT understand is the insistence on people in this country to bury their head in the sand and refuse to acknowledge that a very real action was taken against the United States and carried out successfully. And rather than learn from it and try to ensure that things like this don't happen in the future, the vast majority of people just don't care and would rather bitch about some other impropriety that Hillary Clinton had so they don't have to feel the need to address a rather large issue that happened in this election.

What's wrong with saying "Yes, this happened, and here's how we're going to make sure it doesn't happen in the future"? But nobody wants to say that, because it would somehow show that Trump wasn't the first pick on the dodgeball team.
I think it happened but I think there's only so much you can do to limit it.

What are you going to do? Ban anyone with a Russian internet address from sharing their opinions on Facebook or Twitter?

To me, that interference is nearly irrelevant.

The more important question is are the governments of these countries getting dangerous perks in exchange for these things. That and maintaining the integrity of the voting process are the more pressing issues.

or

Putin didn't play the Obama administration. Alternatively, if Pres. Obama handed over power to someone that is supposedly a Russian agent or compromised then he played himself and the rest of the USA. He had the authority to grind everything to halt instead of relying on his supporters to oust Trump after he was formally inaugurated.

finowns

But what your implying didn't happen. Qatar did not give Hillary millions of dollars for her presidential campaign, unless you have a source saying otherwise.

But what your implying didn't happen. Qatar did not give Hillary millions of dollars for her presidential campaign, unless you have a source saying otherwise.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-foundation-idUSKBN12Z2SL

Ok, I didn't recall the situation 100% accurately but the point still stands.

Unless you believe the Qataris, who are currently using slaves to build soccer stadiums, gave this donation out of the goodness of their hearts and just so happened to want to give the check to the Clintons in person.

But my point isn't to demonize just the Clintons to deflect from Trump, this is just how this game is played.

That's not to say it shouldn't be frowned upon and discouraged regardless of which candidate it is.

Bustanen

giphy.gif

Putin has a reputation among world leaders for lying to them, right to their faces. He did to Obama as well. Trump is the only world leader that would take Putin at his word.

Also, how is it that the conversation isn't even addressing the primary method that Russia used to interfere with the election? It's not like it hasn't been in the news constantly lately. Facebook ads, social media, etc.

McLovin

Until they can prove they hacked into the voting systems no one will care.
Well in a way they did indirectly. I’m pretty sure they did shit to subliminally make people think they didn’t have to go vote because Hillary was either a sure win or voting didn’t matter. I remember a twitter campaign where they convinced people that there was a new voting system that let them cast their vote through a hashtag. So there wasn’t a need to go vote in person. It was obviously fake but I’m sure Hillary lost a couple thousand idiot votes.

He did was he could. As a rational man.

I guess you were hoping for thermonuclear conflict. That would have helped things get better obviously.

You are not very imaginative if you believe thats what I was hoping for.

Peacekeepers my good friend, neutral peacekeepers from the African Union would have been ideal. Keep the pressure on Putin to let him know America wasn't going to back down and ignore the illegal annexation of part of another country.

Are you happy with the outcome? Continued Ukrainian deaths and loss of land are acceptable?

Nerazar

He did was he could. As a rational man.

I guess you were hoping for thermonuclear conflict. That would have helped things get better obviously.

Well, "rational men" get swallowed up whole by people like Putin. So if Putin snatches more parts of Europe, we should just watch him do it? At some point, thermonuclear conflict is preferable than getting your $200 pension paid in Rubles.

Obama at least stopped his progress. Without the sanctions, Putin would have instigated another riot in Estonia by now. And I suppose that Russians are oppressed in the US as well, hm. And I think they still want Alaska returned?

I'm no friend of Israels expansion either, I would be more than happy to have the UN force them to give it back...or sanction them until they do. (Which most likely would be until the end of time)

LordRaptor

I'm no friend of Israels expansion either, I would be more than happy to have the UN force them to give it back...or sanction them until they do. (Which most likely would be until the end of time)

That won't happen, because the US are an ardent supporter of that occupation, and the Israelis see it as a form of Manifest Destiny.

The underlying point is that the US have never acted as "World Police" on anything other than strategic goals. There is no underlying moral imperative that they have consistently adhered to.

Kimawolf

they will never do that. the U.S. for strange, religious reasons will support Israel until the end of time. They will over look every atrocity they commit because to do otherwise would be to admit an grave error.

And as long as the rest of the world fears the U.S. (Most of Europe) or just doesn't care about the Israeli/Palestinian issue (China/Russia), it'll continue.

That to me is one of the most shameful things the U.S. has done, and history will judge it as a great tragedy of human rights.

Ombra

Usage of chemical weapons

Yes, me, i'm the idiot, look perhaps I can learn from your Shakespearean examples of intelligence below
This is some gamefaqs shit, this has to be an alt. Our president is a fucking buffoon, but you can deflect and conflate if you want to.

This is some gamefaqs shit, this has to be an alt. Our president is a fucking buffoon, but you can deflect and conflate if you want to.

He isnt my president and I didn't say he wasn't an idiot.

And no, i'm not an alt or a troll. It's called a genuine differing opinion, outside of old alt-left gaf, you probably wouldn't see them.

Here in Nu-gaf guess what, they exist and can be voiced without fear of a banning from antifa apologist moderators.

Ombra

He isnt my president and I didn't say he wasn't an idiot.

And no, i'm not an alt or a troll. It's called a genuine differing opinion, outside of old alt-left gaf, you probably wouldn't see them.

Here in Nu-gaf guess what, they exist and can be voiced without fear of a banning from antifa apologist moderators.
Oh fuck off with this Nu-Gaf nonsense you're trying way to hard with the Milo apologist bullshit you brought up in the past and shoe horning a "what about Obama" tangent into thread that stands on its own as an example of the piece of shit that we have as a president. You aren't slick just another transparent 4chan opportunist trying to disguise bullshit as an opinion, keep it up. I want to see how our moderation works now too.

Top Bottom