• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Trump Slump,' a Devastating Drop in Tourism to the United States

Status
Not open for further replies.

FStubbs

Trump supporters are just fine with foreigners. Trump himself is married to one.

As long as the foreigners are white.

Anecdotal evidence is anecdotal, but I can attest to it. I go to the States regularly, went last spring last time, and have no intention of visiting anymore while Trump is in office. A friend of mine offered to come to NYC this summer and I politely declined. His father bought an apartment there some years back and is now thinking of selling it because he hates Trump so much. So I'm even noticing a mini revolt from the 1%.

Cheezus

Just another reason to add to the pile of ways my great state of Florida fucked themselves voting for Trump. Potential to lose health care for hundreds of thousands, threats to cut social security, slumping tourism, shrinking beaches and rising temperatures from climate change, having to pay for Trump's dumbass weekly golf excursions...

I don't really get it. I understand the desire to leave if you were a citizen, but what does Trump being in office change from a tourist perspective? And what does a Democrat winning in 4 years magically fix about our country that makes us redeemable? You are ideally coming for our cities and landmarks, not our president.

I would have visited Italy when Berlusconi was in office.

Edit: Unless you are from one of the countries or religions being targeted by Trump, because then I don't blame you one bit.

Ondore

I'm going to PAX East and that's going to be the extent of my activity until the 46th president. I'm Caucasian, from Canada and I'm still paranoid enough to hide all my social media until I hit the other side of customs.

Nokterian

I wanted to go to america one day..we almost went with the whole family a few years ago but my dad was struck with a awful disease before we went. Now a few years later i am going to keep it on hold, the country changed to much in less than a month and i don't expect it is going to be better...

Shoeless

I don't really get it. I understand the desire to leave if you were a citizen, but what does Trump being in office change from a tourist perspective?

Invasion of privacy. I've never been to a country that asked me to hand over my phone and give up the passwords so they can check what I've been posting on social media. Now that American CBP does it, I intend to keep my record clean and not go there until they stop the practice. That is just Not Cool.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I don't really get it. I understand the desire to leave if you were a citizen, but what does Trump being in office change from a tourist perspective? And what does a Democrat winning in 4 years magically fix about our country that makes us redeemable? You are ideally coming for our cities and landmarks, not our president.

Having your visa frozen while entering/leaving after having made arrangements is a pretty big threat. Being placed under suspicion depending on which countries you're immigrating from isn't so appealing either.

Not to mention the rise in hate crime due to inciteful rhetoric. I don't blame foreigners with darker skin tones from being afraid to travel here I mean just look at those two Indian engineers who were murdered/injured because some crazed gunman thinks all brown people are muslim terrorists.

Why risk being fucked over by some disgruntled border officer who wants to peep into your phone and laptop when there are so many other countries you could visit where you are not treated like an unwelcomed intruder.

Having your visa frozen while entering/leaving after having made arrangements is a pretty big threat. Being placed under suspicion depending on which countries you're immigrating from isn't so appealing either.

Not to mention the rise in hate crime due to inciteful rhetoric. I don't blame foreigners with darker skin tones from being afraid to travel here I mean just look at those two Indian engineers who were murdered/injured because some crazed gunman thinks all brown people are muslim terrorists.

So I guess I should have clarified for white Europeans or Canadians, because the scenario you describe absolutely makes sense.

Maximo

]I don't really get it. I understand the desire to leave if you were a citizen, but what does Trump being in office change from a tourist perspective? [/B]And what does a Democrat winning in 4 years magically fix about our country that makes us redeemable? You are ideally coming for our cities and landmarks, not our president.

I mean it effects the person greatly depending on the color of their skin.....

PARANO1A

I'm in this boat. My partner has been planning a big celebration for a milestone birthday for both her and her parents for years, going to NY and Hawaii from Australia. We may still go to Hawaii but we feel pretty gross supporting the US economy given the disgusting politics happening right now. More so NY than Hawaii so might just skip the 'mainland' and go there. We've been to Hawaii a few times and there's a definite feeling of being 'Hawaiian, not American' once you get out of Waikiki.

There's also a conference in a month or two that we now are being cautioned by work about given the 'surprise' nature of travel bans - e.g. dual citizenship employees (working for a multinational) may get turned back because of some stupid, illegal EO that is released when we're mid-air. These events are both networking and a lot of fun and a reward for hard work. Really disappointing, and they'll likely get held someone else next year. Funny thing is the CEO of the hosting corp is a huge Republican that donated to Jeb last conference in March.

I say this as someone that's been in the US every year for either work or fun for the last 6-7 years. The idea that I may / will be asked to unlock my phone and let someone access my emails, texts, photos, etc or be turned back is disgusting.

I mean it effects the person greatly depending on the color of their skin.....

Edited the comment. In my head I people in mind like my girlfriend who is White and from Germany yet often says she feels less inclined to come to America. People of color I understand.

I guess at some point it's largely in protest, but as someone who believes this shit will all be over in 4 years and doesn't accurately reflect this country I just feel like if I was a foreigner who wanted to visit New York I would.

Shoeless

So I guess I should have clarified for white Europeans or Canadians, because the scenario you describe absolutely makes sense.

This happening to white Canadians as well, surprisingly enough. I've already seen a few local news stories about this happening at the border. Basically, the CBP is either being extra paranoid lately, or simply getting a little drunk on the power, but no one is safe, not even white Canadians.

There was a local story about some guy barred from entry into the US because of a conviction he had for stealing drapes when he was 17. This is a retired, white Canadian that owns a home in Florida, and now he's selling it because he's been permanently barred entry from the USA.

Shoeless

IIRC it has the highest tourist traffic in the US.

I was making a joke in poor taste paraphrasing the Disney song "It's a small world after all," that played in one of the more famous attractions at Disney theme parks which embraced different cultures of the world.

Fruitster

Yeah, can't say I fancy another trip to the US while that tangerine coloured dimwit is running the show. We live in interesting times.

Dallas is actually liberal, its suburbs are not though.
That's basically universal. Phoenix, Tucson, and Flagstaff are all liberal despite AZ being a red state, for example. It's rich suburbs like Scottsdale and the poor rural areas where all the conservatives are.

Breads

Banned
I was making a joke in poor taste paraphrasing the Disney song "It's a small world after all," that played in one of the more famous attractions at Disney theme parks which embraced different cultures of the world.

I know! I didn't mean to imply anything about you or the joke. I actually quoted the wrong post in my dash to make a stealth edit. I meant to quote the one you were quoting.

segasonic

For a long time I've asked for less tourists in NYC so that I could get to work more easily, but now I wish they'd stay.

To clarify I always appreciated tourism to this city, but unfortunately it's always concentrated in midtown Manhattan where I've always worked. Make more popular tourist attractions in the other boroughs, god damn it.
200w.gif

Edit: Unless you are from one of the countries or religions being targeted by Trump, because then I don't blame you one hit.

This is what I think the majority of Trump supporters dont grasp. There is a world beyond the US and the world's perspective of us for putting Trump into office does not reflect well for the country and its people as a whole.

Even for Americans being tourists in other countries, there is going to be a negative hanging idea of "Americans" as a whole whether or not you voted for Trump.

For USA's amazing variety of scenery and nature. Colorado especially is appealing to me.

I haven't been to CO (planing to go to Utah and CO in the summer), but the scenery and nature here (in California alone) still never ceases to amaze me. Its heartbreaking to me when politics gets in the way of people around the world wanting to experience it.

Shoeless

Even for Americans being tourists in other countries, there is going to be a negative hanging idea of "Americans" as a whole whether or not you voted for Trump.

Just a couple of weeks ago my wife went down to a business trip in New York and she told me that at the exhibition she was at, every American that found out she was from Canada either a) apologized for what was happening the US, b) sighed about wanting Trudeau to lead their country or c) joked, sadly, "Take me with you."

Just a couple of weeks ago my wife went down to a business trip in New York and she told me that at the exhibition she was at, every American that found out she was from Canada either a) apologized for what was happening the US, b) sighed about wanting Trudeau to lead their country or c) joked, sadly, "Take me with you."

lol yeah I imagine thats whats happening every day every where.
Even before he came into power, my gf visited the UK during the primaries and whenever people found out she was American they would ask her "This whole Trump thing is a joke, right?" happened to her 8 times

kzKL3PR.jpg

This...doesn't surprise me really. Trump's reputation is atrocious in much of Europe...probably worse in the rest of the Americas. People are making plans elsewhere.

I was considering doing my PhD fieldwork in New York...Probably not now, although it will take more than the idiot in the White House to stop me visiting the US altogether.

andthebeatgoeson

Thank you, my international friends. This means a lot of people will lose their jobs but I can't agree with anything Trump has done. Y'all need to lead for awhile. Michelle and Sascha cooking up something.

stryke

Yeah thought about going this year but as soon as he got elected I put off my US trip. It's ok, I'll happily visit Japan a 3rd time.

this is what his supporters wanted

This is what the interior and rural parts of the country overwhelmingly wanted because they don't know shit about anything having to do with the economy, business, or science for that matter.

They just do and think what their church and Fox News tells the to do and think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom