• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump takes shots at Kaepernick, ‘Get that son of a bitch off the field’

Haines

Banned
Racial injustice and police brutality toward people of color.

Ok. So is that something deep rooted in culture im unaware of or did someone jist do it and say that is what it represents?

Whats the origin? Im glad to see people taking a stand at sports events where many people are watching,

Ok. So is that something deep rooted in culture im unaware of or did someone jist do it and say that is what it represents?

Whats the origin? Im glad to see people taking a stand at sports events where many people are watching,

Pretty common behavior during the American Civil Rights Movement.

President of the United States personally publicly and broadly attacking freedom of speech and doubling down on it against his personal friends. Tomorrow is going to be the weirdest rubicon in political history.

You’re arguing with a Junior member from 2012 with a fraction of a post per day. He’s just going to see how far he can go without being banned.

Every day ending in "Y" in the Fanta Fool's administration.

He's using this as a cover because he can't get Obamacare killed.

...and nasty Russian investigation news just came down the pipeline, and nasty Russian investigation news is going to come down the pipeline, and NK is tapdancing across his Weak Boy line-in-the-sand, and his aides are planning to abandon ship and...

maxxpower

I wish humans didn't have to fight in wars so I didn't have to "thank someone" for my freedom. While I would be too much of a pussy to fight in a war, I feel like military veterans hold too much power over people being able to protest the US flag because we don't want to "disrespect" their sacrifices.

Zolo

I wish humans didn't have to fight in wars so I didn't have to "thank someone" for my freedom. While I would be too much of a pussy to fight in a war, I feel like military veterans hold too much power over people being able to protest the US flag because we don't want to "disrespect" their sacrifices.

There are plenty of veterans that approve of this form of protest. The big thing is remembering that like any group, they don't all have one monolithic opinion on something.

louiedog

Veterans aren't the flag. The two things have nothing to do with each other. People who wanted to try and derail what protests are about and vilify the protesters connected them.

There are plenty of veterans that approve of this form of protest. The big thing is remembering that like any group, they don't all have one monolithic opinion on something.

In my anecdotal experience, military folks almost always support the right of people to protest in this way. I hate to use a term like virtue signaling, but that’s what a lot of the backlash feels like.

Ponn

Banned

I actually don't see many vets or military people saying this is disrespectful, mostly the opposite. I see mostly the same right wing, trumpers who love to use religion and others to justify their shitty beliefs. The ones who care more about a flag than what it actually stands for. The ones who thank every service person but complain about taxes and spending and forget to take care of them when they come back.

Linkura

anji patterson @anjihooper
Replying to @MSNBC
Wow. Just lost respect for another icon. Sad

Just for using their rights. Sad!

I got one thing to say to these racist assholes:
5b3.png

As a vet, I totally support any protest against the police or Trump. In my flight there's only one person who still supports him and they're an unredeemable cunt so whatever.

It's really funny to see some of these tweets where people are near-hysterical because there are strangers out there taking a knee. Like they are genuinely upset about it. Tomorrow should be National Take a Knee and Troll a Conservative Right up to the Brink Day.

Kusagari

I'm convinced anyone that says, "You should be grateful to live in a country where you can do this." desperately wishes they lived in a country where people who protested their dear leader were executed.

mid83

I'm convinced anyone that says, "You should be grateful to live in a country where you can do this." desperately wishes they lived in a country where people who protested their dear leader were executed.

That’s what I don’t get. I’m probably more patriotic than most here based on the comments I read on a regular basis, yet I’ve never been against Kap or others kneeling. I’m in support of peaceful protest, even by groups or people where I may not necessarily agree with. GThat’s one of the things that makes this country great in my opinion.

49ers

"The callous and offensive comments made by the President are contradictory to what this great country stands for," 49ers CEO Jed York said. "Our players have exercised their rights as United States citizens in order to spark conversation and action to address social injustice. We will continue to support them in their peaceful pursuit of positive change in our country and around the world."

Packers

"It's unfortunate that the President decided to use his immense platform to make divisive and offensive statements about our players and the NFL. We strongly believe that players are leaders in our communities and positive influences. They have achieved their positions through tremendous work and dedication and should be celebrated for their success and positive impact. We believe it is important to support any of our players who choose to peacefully express themselves with the hope of change for good. As Americans, we are fortunate to be able to speak openly and freely."

Dolphins

Stephen Ross of the Miami Dolphins: "Our country needs unifying leadership right now, not more divisiveness. We need to seek to understand each other and have civil discourse instead of condemnation and sound bites."

Giants

cc7a64b3-2463-42cb-a5u8sl9.png

Titans

7f1fa087-1dd9-44a4-b5m5st5.png

Chargers

Statement from Chargers owner Dean Spanos on Donald Trump's comments regarding NFL player protests: "I wholeheartedly agree with the commissioner's statement. The NFL and its players, more than anything, have been a force for good. What our country needs right now is a message of unity, civility and mutual respect."

Raiders

Raiders owner Mark Davis had no comment on Donald Trump saying NFL owners should fire a player who "disrespects" the American flag. Davis did, however, maintain his stance that he wished players would not protest while in uniform, though he would not punish players who did protest. "The Raiders have always stood for diversity and rights," Davis said last November, "but I just don't think they should protest while in uniform. This is not a police state. If there was an issue, come talk to me. Hell, I may go and stand up there with them."

Eagles

ea1975b0-c936-4c61-af2yssz.jpg

Jaguars

Jaguars owner Shad Khan is in London with the team and spokesman Jim Woodcock said Khan would not have a separate statement regarding President Trump's recent comments about players that protest during the National Anthem. "Commissioner Goodell's statement speaks for Mr. Khan and the Jaguars," Woodcock said. Khan is one of seven NFL owners who donated $1 million to Trump.

Dolphins

Dolphins owner Stephen Ross' statement today: "Our country needs unifying leadership right now, not more divisiveness. We need to seek to understand each other and have civil discourse instead of condemnation and sound bites. I know our players who kneeled for the anthem and these are smart young men of character who want to make our world a better place for everyone. They wanted to start a conversation and are making a difference in our community, including working with law enforcement to bring people together. We all can benefit from learning, listening and respecting each other. Sports is a common denominator in our world. We all have the responsibility to use this platform to promote understanding, respect and equality."

Falcons

Statement from Atlanta Falcons owner Arthur Blank following the comments from President Donald Trump: “We are at our very best when we are working together, building unity and including everyone’s voice in a constructive dialogue. Creating division or demonizing viewpoints that are different than our own accomplishes nothing positive and undermines our collective ability to achieve the ideals of our democracy. The NFL has historically been a strong catalyst for positive change and I’m proud of the way our players, coaches and staff use that platform to give back to our community and strive to be good citizens making a positive impact on this and future generations.”

Steelers

"I believe the Commissioner made an appropriate statement, and I have nothing to add at this time."

Cardinals

Cardinals coach Bruce Arians reacted Saturday to President Trump's comments made last night about how he thinks players who protest should be treated by NFL owners: "I thought the commissioner had a great statement and I agree with it. I’ve been in locker rooms for 25 years, and some of the most reputable men I’ve ever met wear that uniform and to even get to overcome the things in their life to get to the NFL is amazing. What they’ve done in the last month for hurricane relief victims speaks volumes of what we’re all about in the NFL. And I’ll just leave it in that."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...spond-president-trump-player-protest-comments

Linkura

Of course, nothing from the Patriots, which represents one of the most liberal areas of the country. Because the owner is a Trumpet. Fuck you, Bob Kraft.

Also, anyone offering solidarity should also offer Kaep a chance at a job. At least let him try out.

I am impressed that the Cardinals coach said something. I hope more and more teams and more and more players put their foot down on this bullshit Trump is spewing.

Trump literally just made the "problem" worse. Trump said Kaepernick should be fired, but Kaepernick already didn't have a job because of his protests. Now Trump being a fucking asshole has brought more people to Kaepernick's side and turned his simple protest into a rallying cry. There's going to be dozens if not hundreds of football players who #TakeTheKnee tomorrow. I suspect people in the crowds will do so as well.

sphagnum

Banned

Colin Kaepernick in the NFL started doing it to protest racism and got blacklisted so he's no longer playing. Trump recently opened his dumb mouth and said anyone who does it should be fired. Now more athletes are going to start doing it in solidarity.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Colin Kaepernick may become the most culturally relevant football player since OJ. For much more positive reasons of course.

RaidenZR

As someone who doesn't have any interest in football whatsoever, I'm pleased and uplifted by most of these player, team, and owner statements. These teams definitely should definitely be showing some unity and leadership right now, as a bunch are. Supporting their players and their rights. Anyone out there negatively spewing criticisms are forgetting one simple thing: Players are citizens too.

Trump inadvertently opened a can of worms, all because he was feeling good with riffing his casual bullshit for positive reinforcement at a rally. You reap what you sow. Let them deal with this mess all week long, while that awful healthcare bill (hopefully) withers in a few days.

Top Bottom