• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump takes shots at Kaepernick, ‘Get that son of a bitch off the field’

mjc

f7FdEdG.jpg

Deku Tree

I still think people give Trump too much credit when it comes to trying to distract from something else. This to me seems to have little to do with wanting to distract and more to do with how the presidency doesn't work the way he thought it did. Remember when China refused to roll out the carpet for Obama and Trump said he'd never let foreign countries disrespect him the same way? Well, we've seen foreign leaders straight up laugh at Trump and mock him. He's tried to threaten NK, and their leader has laughed and mocked him. Even getting people in America to call Trump a "dotard". You then have Steph Curry making it clear that he won't go to the WH, which prompted Trump to issue a statement saying that he's taking away their invite. Then you have LeBron, a player that he's praised multiple times on Twitter, calling him a bum. Which seemingly has him shook so much that he won't even respond. Trump at a rally calls on NFL owners, several of whom donated at least 1m to his campaign, to do something about players that don't stand. Instead they stand by their players, and some of them even went as far as to come out and lock arms with them.

The bully tactics that he's so accustomed to using doesn't work as president. And it's frustrating him. He's supposed to be the most powerful leader in the world, and yet people don't respect him. It's grinding his ego, and that's really what this is about. He got up in front of his supporters throughout the campaign and told them that he'd do this and he'd do that and that people would listen because he gets things done. He's the alpha male! And yet none of that is happening. People aren't listening and he really isn't getting much at all done.

That makes a lot of sense too.

Zolo

I still think people give Trump too much credit when it comes to trying to distract from something else. This to me seems to have little to do with wanting to distract and more to do with how the presidency doesn't work the way he thought it did. Remember when China refused to roll out the carpet for Obama and Trump said he'd never let foreign countries disrespect him the same way? Well, we've seen foreign leaders straight up laugh at Trump and mock him. He's tried to threaten NK, and their leader has laughed and mocked him. Even getting people in America to call Trump a "dotard". You then have Steph Curry making it clear that he won't go to the WH, which prompted Trump to issue a statement saying that he's taking away their invite. Then you have LeBron, a player that he's praised multiple times on Twitter, calling him a bum. Which seemingly has him shook so much that he won't even respond. Trump at a rally calls on NFL owners, several of whom donated at least 1m to his campaign, to do something about players that don't stand. Instead they stand by their players, and some of them even went as far as to come out and lock arms with them.

The bully tactics that he's so accustomed to using doesn't work as president. And it's frustrating him. He's supposed to be the most powerful leader in the world, and yet people don't respect him. It's grinding his ego, and that's really what this is about. He got up in front of his supporters throughout the campaign and told them that he'd do this and he'd do that and that people would listen because he gets things done. He's the alpha male! And yet none of that is happening. People aren't listening and he really isn't getting much at all done.

Yeah. I'd say this is more accurate.

phanphare

Banned
The Jordan statement been posted?

I'll post again anyways

I like what Joe Budden said about MJ, Barkley, and Ray Lewis today. if MJ ain't on the basketball court then get the fuck outta here.

loose quote: "when LeBron is talking, when Curry is talking, when people are talking and sticking up for the people? shut the fuck up. you had 20 years to do that. you did not. pardon us, sir. we got it now. you sell sneakers now."

Heel

Good to see someone with media play actually stepping back and considering the context of the presidency so far. Its no surprise hes cynical of the NFLs reaction.

It's hard not to be cynical when owners who donated $1m to his election are suddenly locking arms with players.

Feels more like an internal memo than solidarity.

Mahonay

Banned
Don't be fooled by that MJ statement. That dude has a history of being a dirtbag and racist towards other black people.

I mean, good that everyone is calling out Trump at least. Even notable assholes.

Beefy

I like what Joe Budden said about MJ, Barkley, and Ray Lewis today. if MJ ain't on the basketball court then get the fuck outta here.

loose quote: "when LeBron is talking, when Curry is talking, when people are talking and sticking up for the people? shut the fuck up. you had 20 years to do that. you did not. pardon us, sir. we got it now. you sell sneakers now."

When Jordan is taking a side, you know you fucked up

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Its like he wants to distract from something. You know the lastest of Trumpcare gets another vote this week, and it worse then the previous bills.

Well he could focus on Puerto Rico. But bad hombres I guess.

teh_pwn

Trump cares about no one. He only likes people that praise him. That's it.

Brown people are sub-human to him.

Yeah I know that. But still I'm disappointed in the Federal response to Hurricane Maria. One of my friends has tons of family there and still hasn't heard from his Mom.

Mahonay

Banned
Yeah I know that. But still I'm disappointed in the Federal response to Hurricane Maria. One of my friends has tons of family there and still hasn't heard from his Mom.
sorry to hear that man :(

Yeah, it's fucking heartbreaking we have this man as president of the United States. Innocent people are suffering for it.

teh_pwn

I wonder what the sports fans reactions are. Some of it is probably scathing. I remember a friend of a friend legit denying and getting upset when I brought up that the national anthem is a rip from a British drinking/club song.

The media should be ripping Trump for his ignoring of Puerto Rico but, they too, don't think of Puerto Ricans as "real Americans" so it's all good. The difference in coverage between the storms shows this.

This is crazy...

Nobody noticed this fact? It gets worse...

DoD paid for players to stand at the anthems as a damn marketing strategy. To recruit...

Code:
[IMG]https://media.giphy.com/media/3o6YglDndxKdCNw7q8/giphy.gif[/IMG]
It's manufactured nationalism and the easiest cheap pop. The anthem, the flyovers, the vets getting a round of applause, all of it. Kaepernick's protest has further exposed it for what it is.

I'd love for all the people complaining about "keeping politics out of sports" to explain just what exactly the U.S. military has to do with sports, like, at all. They have their tentacles spread throughout all of sports, but where's the connection? Based on the responses from those upset at the protests, the association between American sports and American nationalism has become almost Pavlovian in nature.

Ducarmel

cross posting from the locked I'm the real woke person thread.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=249971238&postcount=111
Just want to post I'm glad to hear Shannon Sharpe on point as usual, but whatever its a decent message about unity even if it was out of selfish reasons for the NFL players/owners and its against Trump I can support it that much, but Ray Lewis can go jump off a cliff.

louiedog

The media should be ripping Trump for his ignoring of Puerto Rico but, they too, don't think of Puerto Ricans as "real Americans" so it's all good. The difference in coverage between the storms shows this.

I had the TV on last when the news came on and an anchor segued from a story about Mexico's earthquake to Puerto Rico by saying something like "and Puerto Rico is another country experiencing devastation...."

It's amazing how many people seem to have trouble with this stuff. How many people in this country don't even realize who Puerto Ricans are?

Analyze social media for one of the NFL biggest corporate sponsors, and it's very interesting to say the least.

Social Media posts mentioning us are 99% pro-Trump, customers threatening to boycott/leave. Not sure what we'll do about it. I think I've seen one post supporting the players out of hundreds I've seen.

I had the TV on last when the news came on and an anchor segued from a story about Mexico's earthquake to Puerto Rico by saying something like "and Puerto Rico is another country experiencing devastation...."

It's amazing how many people seem to have trouble with this stuff. How many people in this country don't even realize who Puerto Ricans are?

When you get a bunch of good looking people with "communication" and "journalism" degrees to cover stories on some of the most complicated matters on earth, this happens.

Quonny

Concerning racial/social issues? Yes.

I actually don't mind this for Skip.

He listens. A lot. He throws out his opinion without downplaying someone else's opinion. He often gives context for where he's coming from. I dunno, I appreciate it.

Of course SS is straight lit, but Skip is a good counter balance.

Analyze social media for one of the NFL biggest corporate sponsors, and it's very interesting to say the least.

Social Media posts mentioning us are 99% pro-Trump, customers threatening to boycott/leave. Not sure what we'll do about it. I think I've seen one post supporting the players out of hundreds I've seen.

Be wary of botnets spamming the same message.

Top Bottom