• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TSMC’s 3nm Supply Runs Short Amid Huge AI Demand: NVIDIA, AMD, Consider Raising Chip Prices

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Just imagine a world where chips foundries are common making competition in this sector a thing
Cp Night City GIF by Cyberpunk 2077

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Now this is an aera where we need some competition. The fact the world is dependent on one company for advance chips is a disaster waiting to happen.

If someone else can produce an upscaler that rivals Nvidia’s DLSS, we’ll be golden. That’s the only thing that’s special about Nvidia. Their GPUs aren’t all that in rasterization.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
True, but due to the amount sold the increase of the price isn't going to be as much. It's all about scale. Maybe the PS6 will be $600 at launch, but I'm expecting the Nvidia 6090 to be $2000 a launch.
They are maxed out on production capacity - why would scale matter?

DAHGAMING

You also gave big electricity price hikes (at least in Europe), amazing time to be alive...

Mate there struggling, to be honest I feel very sad for energy companies I tell them poor souls to put my bill up, same for my mortgage when they put my intrest rate up recently I said add another half%, you must need it more than me.

As for the chip prices going up its brilliant timeing just when were about to get a new wave of GPU the next yr or so, and next gen consoles ramp up production. Remember these companies are our friends ❤️❤️❤️.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
They are maxed out on production capacity - why would scale matter?

I was talking about the scale of consoles being sold with AMD chips. And this is where the difference between lone GPU sales versus Sony negotiating a certain price with AMD for a large order of APUs to put inside of the PS6. There's a difference.

I don't see the link between "running short of supply" and increasing price other than "because we can".

That's how Supply and Demand works. Short Supply with High Demand = Higher Prices

Zathalus

I was talking about the scale of consoles being sold with AMD chips. And this is where the difference between lone GPU sales versus Sony negotiating a certain price with AMD for a large order of APUs to put inside of the PS6. There's a difference.
Nvidia is a larger customer of TSMC compared to AMD so they probably get the same or slightly better rates on wafer prices. The price Sony negotiated with AMD includes whatever the wafer cost is from TSMC, so if costs for that go up, so do SoC prices. Scale doesn't really factor into it. The only relevant factors is the node used and the die size, PS5 uses 6nm and a rather small die so they won't likely get hit hard by cost increases. If PS6 uses 3nm and a larger die then costs for that SoC would be significantly higher, assuming this AI boom is still ongoing by that time.

simpatico

Almost free from this shit smelling coil of being a hobbyist gamer. Keep going guys, we’re so close. Let GPUs become $2,000 and let Microsoft buy Valve. Then I can go back outside.

SoloCamo

It's literally the beginning of the next-gen boom that the 90s saw with the internet. This is only the beginning for A.I.

Sorry man.

I hate the term AI... what we call AI these days is not real AI in any sense of it. This is as stupid as the using terms like "life hack".... what are you hacking?

mckmas8808

I hate the term AI... what we call AI these days is not real AI in any sense of it. This is as stupid as the using terms like "life hack".... what are you hacking?

When have you seen the word AI overused? For what life applications?

Not saying you're wrong.

SoloCamo

When have you seen the word AI overused? For what life applications?

Not saying you're wrong.

Businesses and leadership that want to jump on the AI buzzword train to make it look like they have a clue and are forward thinking for their companies. Think of the typical corporate speak but add in AI to it. "With AI, we could have true synergy with our team & clients" and that type of nonsense.

StereoVsn

But no real Slim version, because newer process nodes are filled up and expensive.
And it will affect the next consoles.
Well, it depends. 4 or 5 nm will be available next year more easily as everyone fully shifts to 3nm for high end.

That said we can expect sky high prices for next set of GPUs no question.

mckmas8808

You do realize that boom ended in a massive bust, right? Because it was mostly pixie dust, rainbows, and unicorn fantasies for most of those companies.

Nah it didn't end in a massive bust. The BS internet companies blew up, because most of them weren't worth the paper they wrote checks with. The actual companies that directly and indirectly built the internet and utilized it took their businesses to a whole new level.

Same will be true with A.I.

Codeblew

First it was crypto raising the prices and now it is AI. The crypto demand ran dry when ETH went Proof of Stake. The AI demand will run out soon as well. They are far away from AI that cannot just repeat what they scraped off of the web. When they realize this, the demand for compute for AI will reduce.

I use CoPilot and it is a good tool for an experience programmer. But all it does is save you time from typing or searching google and reading the stackoverflow entries. You still have to know what you are doing to not let bad code into your code base. Stackoverlow has a lot of that.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

Gold Member
What a dystopian gaming market.
First mining. Now AI.
Gamers just can't get a break...

At least individual people could make money off mining. So you could offset the price at the very least, or even make money best case scenario. There's no upside to AI bullshit.

Ozzie666

TSMC is the modern version of oil and who owns it, adding to the poltical charged climate. Why doesn't USA or other countries invest in such plants? There seems to be alot of money to be made and demand is just going to keep going up.

FireFly

TSMC is the modern version of oil and who owns it, adding to the poltical charged climate. Why doesn't USA or other countries invest in such plants? There seems to be alot of money to be made and demand is just going to keep going up.
The USA is investing heavily, with Intel. But it takes a long time to get the required fabs up and running.

Top Bottom