• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV's Vs Monitors, and Why TV's Make Much More Sense for Next Gen Consoles

Bo_Hazem

Banned
More about it:

First PS5-ready TVs revealed by Sony — with up to 8K gaming
Sony readies 4K and 8K TVs for PS5 later this year

Sony has announced two TVs as part of the new "Ready for Playstation 5" designation, offering game-ready models and features that will support the PS5 at launch later this year. The PS5-friendly designation is being applied to one 4K model line and one 8K model, both of which boast features that are uniquely suited to the new console's high-resolution, high-frame rate gaming and next-gen capabilities.

The Sony Bravia X900H is a 4K Android TV that starts at $999 for the 55-inch model, but is also available in 65-, 75- and 85-inch sizes, ranging in price up to $2,799 for the largest model. The Sony Z8H 8K LED Smart TV is available in 75- and 85-inch sizes, and sells for $6,999 and $9,999, respectively.

The Sony Bravia X900H is an LED smart TV with full array backlighting, offering not only support for 4K resolution, but also 120Hz refresh rates and excellent HDR support thanks to the sets full-array, local-dimming backlight. Sony is also touting the sets low lag time, claiming input lag as short as 7.2 milliseconds.

rTGGHJDQDmjEwVo5tyMgsQ-970-80.jpg.webp

The Sony XBR Z8H 8K TV will support 8K resolution, in addition to the same 4K, 120Hz support offered by the Z800H. In our Sony XBR Z8H 8K TV hands-on review from earlier this year, we were impressed by the 8K TV, which offers advanced sound and features, in addition to 8K resolution.

B3xMBKZdTWwyE7Qon42FqV-970-80.jpg.webp

Both sets support next-generation gaming features, such as automatic switching to game mode, which lets users turn on both the TV and console using the PS5's DualSense controller, and will switch to the TV's game mode without having to manually switch between inputs or settings.

The sets also support variable refresh rates, which allow the set to synchronize the TV's refresh rate to the console output, producing a smooth, judder-free gaming experience without any screen tearing.

Sony has also outfitted both the X900H and the Z8H with its Acoustic Surface Audio technology, which uses speakers embedded in the TV frame to provide sound that seems to come from the screen, tracking across the screen as sources of sound move from side to side. The result is a more immersive experience for regular viewing and gaming alike.

All of this is in addition to the high-quality picture and sound we've come to expect from Sony TVs.

Rikkori

Interesting comparison of XH90 vs XH95. Really interesting how much more depth the picture has with the XH95, you can really see delineation between objects and their positioning in space. XH90 a bit more washed together. Not a groundbreaking difference for the normal user tho.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Interesting comparison of XH90 vs XH95. Really interesting how much more depth the picture has with the XH95, you can really see delineation between objects and their positioning in space. XH90 a bit more washed together. Not a groundbreaking difference for the normal user tho.

Looks great, but at some scenes some details got crushed in the X950H. For game mode, you'll switch off most of these details, so it's always better to have them both set up on game mode to make better comparisons. Overall, HDR performance must be better on XH95 and overall picture quality, but not by a large margin, and blacks by many reviews tend to be better on XH90 but with weaker viewing angle.

As for a gamer, it's not worth it to spend the extra many and lose gaming features and added input lag.

Anki

Banned
I bought this TV https://www.philips.co.uk/c-p/58PUS7304_12/7300-series-4k-uhd-led-android-tv-with-ambilight-3-sided two days ago.
Reason was to get 4k (I only have 1080p TV) bigger size and ambilight. After couple of hours calibrating it and looking on internet for best picture quality I was underwhelmed how bad the picture is compared to my 4 years old sony TV and macbook pro screen.
I mean yes the image was a bit sharper (I played 4k version of rise of the skywalker) but not really noticeable where I sit (maybe 2,5 m). Contrast and colors didn't look right, so I returned it and now I feel like I don't need 4k TV.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
May I ask a stupid question? What is the point of an 8K TV at the moment, when 4K is barely a standard for most people? Also, why do those 8K screens usually come in huge sizes? Do they have such amazing upscaling magic that they can really make up for the low native resolution of the majority of available content? What is the ideal application for those screens?

Ulysses 31

Gold Member
May I ask a stupid question? What is the point of an 8K TV at the moment, when 4K is barely a standard for most people? Also, why do those 8K screens usually come in huge sizes? Do they have such amazing upscaling magic that they can really make up for the low native resolution of the majority of available content? What is the ideal application for those screens?
Lining TV manufacturers pockets. :lollipop_grinning:

Stop the FOMO mentioned that you need 85" or greater to see the difference from 4K stuff when 8K stuff is actually out.

Seeing how RTX 30X0 cards handle 8K. :p

I bought a 65" 8K Q950TS coz it's a better 4K TV than the Q95T 👀

Last edited:

Rikkori

Looks great, but at some scenes some details got crushed in the X950H. For game mode, you'll switch off most of these details, so it's always better to have them both set up on game mode to make better comparisons. Overall, HDR performance must be better on XH95 and overall picture quality, but not by a large margin, and blacks by many reviews tend to be better on XH90 but with weaker viewing angle.

As for a gamer, it's not worth it to spend the extra many and lose gaming features and added input lag.
That's not true for Sony TVs. Game mode or any other mode, you have same PQ. Only some specific features are not available but those are mostly affecting video content only (noise reduction etc).

Freesync is related to PC, as I'm aware, but doesn't make much sense when there is no HDMI 2.1 graphics card yet.
In that case Freesync Premium PRO is what was once known as Freesync HDR. It's a way to tone-map HDR better, think of it like Dolby Vision, HDR10+ etc, but it requires both a compatible display AND specific game support. It is ofc PC-only but it doesn't require HDMI 2.1.

s? Do they have such amazing upscaling magic that they can really make up for the low native resolution of the majority of available content? What is the ideal application for those screens?
Normally I'd say that the extra pixels from 8K TVs would be great at larger sizes. Personally I find 4K to sorta top out at 55"-65" and anything larger than that you no longer have good PPI. Sadly the current level of 8K TVs from Samsung have poor actual resolutions due to all the filters (and etc) they use so all that extra pixel clarity isn't really there. It's better for the Sony Z9G etc but that's much more expensive. And ofc the LG OLED 88" 8K is the best in that respect. So right now it's hard to recommend an 8K TV even if you know you're gonna use it for a long time, the quality just isn't there and it will take a few more years for them to catch up to what's state of the art in 4K (because 8K requires so much more to drive it at the same level in terms of light output, etc; the resolution change has an effect on EVERY aspect of the TV so engineering has to make up for it).

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Lining TV manufacturers pockets. :lollipop_grinning:

Stop the FOMO mentioned that you need 85" for greater to see the difference from 4K stuff when 8K stuff is actually out.

Seeing how RTX 30X0 cards handle 8K. :p

I bought a 65" 8K Q950TS coz it's a better 4K TV than the Q95T 👀

FOMO is wearing glasses, most of those doing outrageous claims don't have healthy vision. I've spotted how clear Q900R from like 15 meters. :lollipop_tears_of_joy: When in normal viewing distance, it's pretty obvious that 8K is superior, it's wonderful but I'll wait for it with CLED (Crystal LED from Sony) or microLED (Samsung) around 2024-2025.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

They can be insanely wonderful for high megapixel photos, for example, as 8K is 33.2MP vs 4K is 8.29MP. If you got extra room, it's a great upgrade, but very few content out there.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I bought this TV https://www.philips.co.uk/c-p/58PUS7304_12/7300-series-4k-uhd-led-android-tv-with-ambilight-3-sided two days ago.
Reason was to get 4k (I only have 1080p TV) bigger size and ambilight. After couple of hours calibrating it and looking on internet for best picture quality I was underwhelmed how bad the picture is compared to my 4 years old sony TV and macbook pro screen.
I mean yes the image was a bit sharper (I played 4k version of rise of the skywalker) but not really noticeable where I sit (maybe 2,5 m). Contrast and colors didn't look right, so I returned it and now I feel like I don't need 4k TV.

I think you'll be happy with Sony X900H (XH90). Just to make sure that you would like the tv, try downloading a 4K HDR gameplay on a USB, a short Clip HDR, SDR, then go to the shop and plaything through the USB. Sony TV's are known to be pretty accurate in colors pre-professional calibration. Keep an eye for it and get it in sale.

Last edited:

Mithos

The Sony Bravia X900H is a 4K Android TV that starts at $999 for the 55-inch model, but is also available in 65-, 75- and 85-inch sizes, ranging in price up to $2,799 for the largest model.

1. I assume that X900H is XH90 (USA vs Europe)?
2. checks price of 55" models (Sweden)..... €1700-1800 (OUCH!!)

Edit:
Checked stores for prices (above was Sony website)
Still €1600-1700 for 55" model (55XH9005)

Last edited:

INC

Gold Member
I have a 1440p 144hz monitor, but my 1080p sony tv looks far superior image wise, beautiful picture, I can't imagine what the 4k version of my TV looks like

Anki

Banned
I think you'll be happy with Sony X900H (XH90). Just to make sure that you would like the game, try downloading a 4K HDR gameplay on a USB, a short Clip HDR, SDR, then go to the shop and plaything through the USB. Sony TV's are known to be pretty accurate in colors pre-professional calibration. Keep an eye for it and get it in sale.

Yes definitely my next TV will be Sony, i won't gamble with other brands.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Edit:

Yeah the XH90 is outrageously expensive in Europe, it's better to wait like around PS5 or even early-mid 2021 then prices should drop to half.

I have a 1440p 144hz monitor, but my 1080p sony tv looks far superior image wise, beautiful picture, I can't imagine what the 4k version of my TV looks like

My sister has a more than 10 years old Sony 1080p tv, a small one like 32-37", and I'm still shocked about how good it still looks after all these years. The upgrade will be wonderful for you, same cliche: Wait for X900H (XH90) price drops.

Yes definitely my next TV will be Sony, i won't gamble with other brands.

My latest tv that I'm currently using is a 4K@60Hz HDR XD70 (X700D) budget tv, and i've never been this happy with color accuracy, especially for me for video and photo editing on my PC. Good news that X900H is getting all praise for color accuracy as well.

Mithos

Yeah the XH90 is outrageously expensive in Europe, it's better to wait like around PS5 or even early-mid 2021 then prices should drop to half.

My sister has a more than 10 years old Sony 1080p tv, a small one like 32-37", and I'm still shocked about how good it still looks after all these years. The upgrade will be wonderful for you, same cliche: Wait for X900H (XH90) price drops.

My latest tv that I'm currently using is a 4K@60Hz HDR XD70 (X700D) budget tv, and i've never been this happy with color accuracy, especially for me for video and photo editing on my PC. Good news that X900H is getting all praise for color accuracy as well.

Yeah, expensive as hell.
My current TV (Sony Bravia KDL-50W805B (2014)) was €600 when I bought it and it's working fine, no need to replace it for anything else then the ability to replace it, so until the XH90 models come closer to that price, I'll definitely wait before buying anything.

Last edited:

INC

Gold Member
Yeah, expensive as hell.
My current TV (Sony Bravia KDL-50W805B (2014)) was €600 when I bought it and it's working fine, no need to replace it for anything else then the ability to replace it, so until the XH90 models come closer to that price, I'll definitely wait before buying anything.

Same here, I waited 2 years to get my sony tv (it had the lowest Input lag for a TV at the time, so finding 1 in stock was a hassle) and I see no need to upgrade it to 4k yet

Last edited:

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Those are great tv's, but they don't come here as well. Not sure about the HDMI 2.1 support as well, would love to hear more about them to enrich the thread with wider options.
I've read numerous complaints that TCL sells their best TVs in only the USA (and China?). They sell crappy edge-lit TVs in other regions, and I wonder why.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
They can be insanely wonderful for high megapixel photos, for example, as 8K is 33.2MP vs 4K is 8.29MP. If you got extra room, it's a great upgrade, but very few content out there.
OK, you mentioned that previously for photo viewing and editing and such. But I’m wondering, does it even make sense for 4K Blu Ray? And what about gaming? I can’t imagine playing indie games on a 85” 8K screen, lol. Even 1080p would need some serious magic to not look as soft as a DVD movie on a 4K TV.

Edit:
The 55” is €1399 in Italy. For that money you can get the 49” XH95, or a 2019 LG OLED (actually I got the C9 for €1349). Buying the XH90 right now would be a waste of money, unless you plan on keeping it for a long time. But at this point, I’m gonna wait and see what 2021 will bring.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
OK, you mentioned that previously for photo viewing and editing and such. But I’m wondering, does it even make sense for 4K Blu Ray? And what about gaming? I can’t imagine playing indie games on a 85” 8K screen, lol. Even 1080p would need some serious magic to not look as soft as a DVD movie on a 4K TV.

4K content on 8K should look better than 4K tv, just like 1080p on 4K tv looks batter than 1080p TV. But is it worth it? Not really, but if you got the money then it's a decent upgrade over 4K tv's even without 8K content. I will wait more before jumping to 8K though, if PS5 Pro comes then I'll pick one or when CLED becomes reasonably priced in a consumer level. Getting Sony a7s III so I don't need 8K, it's a 12.1MP camera with 4K@120fps 10-bit internally.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
The XH90 looks like a great option for when the Ps5 is out. The only thing troubling me is the fact that there's no date set for the 2.1 firmware update. I own an older Bravia at the moment, and Sony have been notorious for delayed updates. If 2.1 is in place for the launch of the Ps5 though, I think I'll definitely get a 75 inch.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
The XH90 looks like a great option for when the Ps5 is out. The only thing troubling me is the fact that there's no date set for the 2.1 firmware update. I own an older Bravia at the moment, and Sony have been notorious for delayed updates. If 2.1 is in place for the launch of the Ps5 though, I think I'll definitely get a 75 inch.

I bought my Sony XD70 and had no HDR, updated it and it's working fine. The firmware is most likely being fully optimized for PS5 right now, and Sony a7s III already features HDMI 2.1 output, this camera will kill my budget, lol, I might settle for 65".

BluRayHiDef

Banned
I think that buying a TV right now is foolish, unless you're someone who has decided to get an OLED since OLED technology has reached its maximum potential (I personally would not get one due to low peak brightness levels and the possibility of burn-in). On the other hand, LED LCD technology is getting better and better, and the next wave of improved LED LCD technology is coming in the remaining months of this year; TCL will be releasing their 6 Series and 8 Series of 2020. The 6 Series will feature the technology of last year's 8 Series, which means that it will have tens of thousands of LEDs and subsequently hundreds of dimming zones (the 8 Series of 2019 has 900); and the 8 Series will feature even more LEDs and 5,184 dimming zones. Oh, and of course there's the fact that these upcoming TVs will feature HDMI 2.1.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I think that buying a TV right now is foolish, unless you're someone who has decided to get an OLED since OLED technology has reached its maximum potential (I personally would not get one due to low peak brightness levels and the possibility of burn-in). On the other hand, LED LCD technology is getting better and better, and the next wave of improved LED LCD technology is coming in the remaining months of this year; TCL will be releasing their 6 Series and 8 Series of 2020. The 6 Series will feature the technology of last year's 8 Series, which means that it will have tens of thousands of LEDs and subsequently hundreds of dimming zones (the 8 Series of 2019 has 900); and the 8 Series will feature even more LEDs and 5,184 dimming zones. Oh, and of course there's the fact that these upcoming TVs will feature HDMI 2.1.

I'm not sure what took them so long, but we're not getting Series 6 nor 8 here. We only get crappy TCL's here. But having them around is great to push the competition. I'm getting another TV when PS5 Pro comes, most likely Sony CLED (Crystal LED), 8K.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
I'm not sure what took them so long, but we're not getting Series 6 nor 8 here. We only get crappy TCL's here. But having them around is great to push the competition. I'm getting another TV when PS5 Pro comes, most likely Sony CLED (Crystal LED), 8K.
Why don't you import a TCL? Too much money?

Rbk_3

Just checked out Rtings review. 8 Series.

"Our TCL 65Q825 has a decent overall gray uniformity. Unfortunately, there's noticeable dirty screen effect both in bright and in dark scenes. Furthermore, the overall uniformity in the darker scenes is one of the worst we've encountered so far. The local dimming algorithm is very aggressive and crushes details in very dark scenes, like the intro scene of Netflix's Our Planet which is displayed with almost no stars. "

Im wait till 2021

but ky budget fot next tv will be the biggest yet in 3k mark

im hoping the x900 from sony

but i really want one that will support 8k also since im going to spend 3k

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Just checked out Rtings review. 8 Series.

"Our TCL 65Q825 has a decent overall gray uniformity. Unfortunately, there's noticeable dirty screen effect both in bright and in dark scenes. Furthermore, the overall uniformity in the darker scenes is one of the worst we've encountered so far. The local dimming algorithm is very aggressive and crushes details in very dark scenes, like the intro scene of Netflix's Our Planet which is displayed with almost no stars. "

The DSE is a matter of chance; all LCD screens have DSE to one extent or another. As for the local dimming, it's been improved via a firmware update according to what I've read online.

What? LEDs are at technological dead end, major display manufacturers are divesting from the technology and ceasing production of displays. LEDs will rather soon be relegated to the low-end segment of the market by various Chinese brands.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
What? LEDs are at technological dead end, major display manufacturers are divesting from the technology and ceasing production of displays. LEDs will rather soon be relegated to the low-end segment of the market by various Chinese brands.

Crystal LED (CLED) from Sony and microLED from Samsung are too expensive that they can't be released to normal consumer market. OLED is most likely a dying tech as it hit the sealing and with reliability issues.

Surprisingly LCD's will have a bright future going forward, but will see cheaper versions as well.

Rikkori

False. LCDs are the only tech still expected to see major improvements (miniled, dual lcd, qdcc etc). OLEDs have peaked and have nowhere to go (besides on price), and microled is still a decade away, if ever, for getting manufacturing under control. The other guy is a TCL zealot with no clue but miniled is the next step up for TVs once Sony or Samsung adopt it & have a good algorithm. Probably 2-3 years away.

Top Bottom