• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitter suspends army of fake accounts after Trump thanks propaganda bot for support

Mahonay

Banned
Oldish article (5/30) http://www.newsweek.com/donald-trump-twitter-followers-fake-617873, updated figures below.

0twDplV.png

https://www.twitteraudit.com/realdonaldtrump

...and, in comparison...

ehSpSA2.png

https://www.twitteraudit.com/BarackObama
Holy shit. More than half of them fake for Trump.

Fake news indeed.

Saganator

Why haven't they done this ages ago? I just don't understand. Why would they want ANY bot accounts?

Well, it's come out that Twitter user base has stopped growing, it was basically net zero for the past few months. If they cleaned up the bots, instead of having net zero user base growth, they'd be well into the negatives.

This is how I think it went down

Donald trump would tweet and verified liberal trolls would get in the top replies and eviscerate him.
Infowars noticed this and got angry, called foul claimed twitter was promoting libtard responses.
Trump started banning people who did this, one by one.
The_donald type people built up a new bot army using t-shirt models, whose main purpose was to reply to trump and get voted to fill out the top.
This worked for a while but ...
.. Donald retweeted one of them.
Which drew smart people to look at "her" closely.
Not soon enough becauee heavy.com wrote a "10 things to know about" puff piece on the bot using fake bio material.
Twitter got embarassed and asked an employee to identify the linked accounts and delete them.

The shit show rolls on..

I know Facebook would ban accounts that had a ton of fake followers, like through one of those "promotion services". Does Twitter not do the same?

Of course, Twitter would never, ever have the balls to ban Trump

She bad tho.

According to the heavy article I posted, her pictures (and those of 10 other conservative bot accounts), are stolen stock photos from the same company, who said they consider this IP theft.

Additionally, "Nicole Mincey" had been interviewed in person twice for radio and internet broadcasts, and now the conservative hosts of these shows are doing a "no comment" on who they actually spoke to.

Pure. Fuckery.

My hot take - Nicole Mincy (notice the spelling) is a real person (as reported by Heavy), a conservative NJ college student. She and her friends created the Nicole Mincey online account, other model-faced accounts, and the protrump45 site to spread conservative propaganda and make a quick buck. She only needed to fudge a few details of her personal life and have an appearance that makes her stick out from the crowd and she's the perfect conservative shield. Of course, I cringe at the idea of a black woman whitening the face of a black model to appeal to white people.

Mahonay

Banned
Maybe Facebook can take a hint from this and finally start deleting Facebook pages spreading actual fake news/misinformation.

But probably not. Something, something, we don't get involved in politics!

Trickster

I wonder how the r/The_Donald is taking this...

"CENSORSHIP! THEY'RE ATTACKING THE TRUTH TELLERS."

They literally ignore everything they don't like.

I mean I checked when the grand jury was called, and not one thread about it

Reading the story I'm getting the sense that the "real" Nicole Mincy isn't as distanced from this account as she originally claimed.

https://heavy.com/news/2017/08/nicole-mincey-trump-store-new-jersey-who-is-gear-twitter-bio/amp/

This story is pretty wacky for what I assumed was a basic account theft. The real person even admits to posting pro-Trump memes on her FB and IG, and seems someway connected to the social circle that set up the "bot" account. Fuckery abounds.

She said she is “not even interested in politics” and does not sell Trump merchandise or “have anything to do with Trump.” However, she told Daily Beast she had posted pro-Trump memes before and “wanted to write blogs and get the conservative view out.”

MXpEzV3.gif

Mahonay

Banned
Real "Nicole Mincy" is obviously involved with getting the fake account going. She is horrible at covering her tracks.

Oriel

The whitening of the model was the most fucked up thing for me. Trying to portray Blacks as being Trump supporters. But they can't be too black you know. Fucking hell!

Yeah I read the WaPo article yesterday. Thought these bits were interesting:

“Nineteen to 20 percent of the messages in the month before the election were originated by bots,” said Emilio Ferrara, a researcher at the University of Southern California who conducted research on the impact of bots on the 2016 election. “About 400,000 accounts that posted tweets related to the political conversation we believe were bots.”

If anything, these accounts have found an even greater foothold since the election among Trump’s most ardent supporters online.

In the past week, a virtual army of accounts identified as having ties to a Russia-backed disinformation campaigns targeting the U.S. political system zeroed in on efforts among Trump’s supporters to attack his national security adviser, H.R. McMaster, over the firing of two Trump loyalists from the National Security Council.

A tool created by a bipartisan group of national security experts and researchers to track Russian-backed propaganda accounts found that the “#fireMcMaster” hashtag became popular among these misinformation accounts at the same time that several influential, pro-Trump users on Twitter adopted the anti-McMaster position.

By Friday, the clamoring against McMaster had become so loud that Trump issued a public statement defending him.

“As a Republican, it raises questions for some on the right who obviously have a difference of opinion on someone like Gen. McMaster, but the reality is there is a foreign power here trying to push an agenda,” said Jamie Fly, a former adviser to Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) who helped create the Hamilton 68 project, which tracks the influence of Russian-backed propaganda online.

Fly said Trump’s liberal use of Twitter has only increased the return on investment for a foreign power such as Russia seeking to sow division within the U.S. political system. Accounts can use Trump’s low bar for retweets to their advantage by creating large volumes of content in the hope that he might be drawn to some of it.

“His use of Twitter has elevated the platform,” Fly said. “It’s created a situation where it’s probably even more useful for a foreign power like Russia to try to influence the debate on Twitter.”

Congress has appropriated $80 million to combat Islamic State propaganda and Russian disinformation online, but the State Department has not used the money, prompting bipartisan condemnation from Sen. Rob Portman (R-Ohio) and Sen. Chris Murphy (D-Conn.), the lawmakers who wrote the legislation establishing the fund.

“The challenge of Russia disinformation is not about Donald Trump, it’s much broader than that,” Portman said in a speech at the Atlantic Council late last month. “It was a serious problem before him, and it’s going to continue to be a problem long after his term in office.”

Thought these bits were interesting from the wapo article
Can't have your fake black Conservative be too dark. Better lighten her up first.

facepalm.jpg

I could be wrong but in the original image her face is covered in shadows. I suspect they used a photo editing tool to remove the shadows which consequently also lightened her skin/the image. Like I said, I could be wrong but from my experience with photo editing software this seems to be what happened.

Slayven

The bots are so easy to spot, they just reply to random accounts with the breitbart of the day, over and over

I could be wrong but in the original image her face is covered in shadows. I suspect they used a photo editing tool to remove the shadows which consequently also lightened her skin/the image. Like I said, I could be wrong but from my experience with photo editing software this seems to be what happened.

You're giving them way too much credit. They lightened the hell out of her skin.

Lubricus

Why haven't they done this ages ago? I just don't understand. Why would they want ANY bot accounts?

The important thing is that Twitter is on its way out. I imagine potential investors and advertisers will be leaving or getting real curious about Twitter numbers now.

Mahonay

Banned
Lol no. Come on.

I looooooove that they lightened her up. "We want black conservatives but not that black." Even fucking twitter bots are racist.

zeemumu

That goes up there with slapping someone and then lying and saying there was a spider on their face.

Taker666

Who knows. Maybe to keep celebs/PR companies happy? or so they can boast about the number of users/their growth?

Twitter made a big deal (a month or so ago) about celebrating Katy Perry being the first twitter user to get 100 million followers..

...despite the fact 58 million of those users are fake.
https://www.twitteraudit.com/katyperry

You wipe all the bots out and you're going to have a bunch of pissed off celebrities/agents and a pretty bad growth outlook.

Oriel

Yeah, you're wrong. It's so obvious that her skin colour was deliberately lightened. Can't be having Trump supporters that black!

I had no idea that Obama had so many more Twitter followers than Trump. Is that what's really eating him up inside? I mean that and the hand size differential.

i mean. he was president for 8 years. so he had time to add on. but then again.. .trump was tv personality for a longer time and managed to get a measly amount. RIP

Azuran

Banned
I had no idea that Obama had so many more Twitter followers than Trump. Is that what's really eating him up inside? I mean that and the hand size differential.

The New York Times has more followers than Trump.

And the sad part is that you know he cares about that.

Top Bottom