• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Two Dead in Shooting at German Club

brian577

Banned
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-40767954

Two people have been killed and three seriously injured in a nightclub shooting in the German city of Constance, police say.

A man opened fire at about 04:30 (01:30 GMT) on Sunday morning, killing one person. The gunman was then shot dead in an exchange of fire with police.

A doorman appeared to have been shot as he tried to stop the attacker, witnesses told local broadcaster SWR.

"Guests were able to save themselves by fleeing outside or hiding," a police spokesman said.

Media

It's sad that my first thought is thank God there weren't more deaths.
RIP

Do we have a motive yet?

CTLance

My condolences, and a speedy recovery for the wounded.

According to tagesschau: Police are saying they're not assuming this to be an act of terrorism.

So at least there's that.

And, he used a "long weapon" - probably a rifle.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member

cameron

Reuters: German police rule out terrorism in Konstanz nightclub shooting
BERLIN (Reuters) - A gunman who killed one person and injured three others in a nightclub in southern Germany on Sunday was an Iraqi citizen who had lived in the country for a long time and was not an asylum seeker, police said, ruling out terrorism as a motive.

Konstanz police spokesman Fritz Bezikofer told the n-tv broadcaster that after an initial investigation into the events surrounding the shooting at the nightclub in Konstanz on the border with Switzerland investigators ruled out terrorism.

"The motives of the man who acted alone are unclear," he said. "We are still investigating but the circumstances surrounding the events at the disco in the evening before the shooting are a bit clearer and this led us to rule out a terrorism background."

Kinyou

My condolences, and a speedy recovery for the wounded.

According to tagesschau: Police are saying they're not assuming this to be an act of terrorism.

So at least there's that.

And, he used a "long weapon" - probably a rifle.
Considering that it happened at 4 am I wouldn't be surprised if ot was a drunk dispute that escalated.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
He had a machine pistol with him. You don't easily carry arround or even get such guns in Germany.

Where did "machine gun" come up? Thought it was a rifle?

Tyaren

A gatling gun? What? Oh, you edited. I was thinking whoa.

German media report him using a "Maschinenpistole" This translation site:
https://www.dict.cc/?s=Maschinenpistole
used "gat" or "gatling gun" as the best fitting translation. I wasn't sure though and checkd what a gatling gun looks like and I thought: Nah, I don't think he carried such an old, big thing around. ;)

Where did "machine gun" come up? Thought it was a rifle?

Focus.de, Welt.de and Bild.de all say it was a "Maschinenpistole".

c5d465-1501429892.jpg

He used a M16 because of a "dispute" with the Club's Staff.

He had a machine pistol with him. You don't easily carry arround or even get such guns in Germany.

A gatling gun? What? Oh, you edited. I was thinking whoa.

German media report him using a "Maschinenpistole" This translation site:
https://www.dict.cc/?s=Maschinenpistole
used "gat" or "gatling gun" as the best fitting translation. I wasn't sure though and checkd what a gatling gun looks like and I thought: Nah, I don't think he carried such an old, big thing around. ;)

Focus.de, Welt.de and Bild.de all say it was a "Maschinenpistole".

You can't just literally translate words......

All it means is it's a pistol with an automatic setting on it.

Akronis

If I remember correctly, AR15 is just the semi-auto civilian version of an M16 so it depends on whether he had automatic fire or not. There shouldn't be any visual difference between them.

The M16 is a variant of the AR-15 platform, but the fire selection is not the only difference. Modern day M16 variants are usually locked to single and three round burst as well.

Don't want to derail, sorry.

RIP to the victims. Can you legally own long rifles in Germany?

So how hard is it really for someone who really wants a gun to get one in Germany? Can't be that insanely difficult if an apparent criminal immigrant is walking around with an AR-15.

Newest Update (german) is that the guy got into an argument with someone working at his stepfather's disco, went home and came back with the gun. It's unclear where he got it from.

He's also not an refugee but has been in germany since 1991. He's been convicted of assault before.

So how hard is it really for someone who really wants a gun to get one in Germany? Can't be that insanely difficult if an apparent criminal immigrant is walking around with an AR-15.

Acquiring guns isn't that hard in Western Europe because of legal loopholes countries like Belgium, Sweden and Switzerland, as well as the huge trade in hardware from former East Bloc countries.

The problem for most criminals is that these guns are very easily traced and European law enforcement and intelligence services have heavily infiltrated the black market.

So the number of illegal weapons being used in crimes is surprisingly low compared to the number floating around the black market.

Top Bottom