• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft Q3 2015: AC Unity + Rogue 10m, Watch Dogs 10m, Far Cry 4 7m, Crew 2m shipped

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I am willing to bet Rogue was very cost effective and required minimal amount of work. All it did was reuse assets from Black Flag.

Which is completely OK.
I remember during an interview with one of the devs on Rogue they refused to give out a number for the amount of years(months) that it was in development.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I remember during an interview with one of the devs on Rogue they refused to give out a number for the amount of years(months) that it was in development.

I haven't played Rogue and look forward to playing it on PS4, but reports are that it was very good. Although I read it only has six sequences as opposed to the 12 from ACIV.

I thought The Crew from the December NPD it was either 200 or 300k (can't recall which) and it didn't chart in the top 10. (It was from a CS post)

2M shipped but the number sold must be far, far lower. Even if you were to reduce the NA market to 20% of sales vs Ubi's own numbers of ~45% that's still just 1M sold. Something isn't right here.
Edit: If the "what's not right here" is actually me, I do apologize in advance.

Saty

They said in the press call that last year (i think specifically in Q4), South Park brought in 60M Euros in revenue. Which is part why they are forecasting Q4 of this FY to be lower than last.

MrBali

Neo Member
How the hell did The Crew ship 2 mill, and was the best selling racing game in Late 2014 with DriveClub and Forza Horizon 2 out? It even has the worst metacritic score by far compared to both games.

People what are you buying, and why.

Forza Horizon deserves it in my opinion but both Drive Club and Horizon lost because they are exclusives. I did buy the Crew even though it's buggy as hell I still enjoy the sense of discovery in the game. I would definitely get Horizon instead if it was available on PS4/PC

Far Cry and Rayman are like the only good franchises Ubisoft has left. I can't believe Watch Dogs is at 10m and climbing. Shame on you, gamers.
Exactly. Watch Dogs only got an 80 on Metacritic. Piece of shit. Who cares that it is a new IP. If a game doesn't score a 90+ on Metacritic, was the game even released?

Cheers

Now how many numpties will blindly get on the AC Victory hype whilst gulping down Ubi's marketing lmao.

Nice Far Cry 4 numbers, fantastic game and well deserved.

Noobcraft

Those numbers, and the crew particularly, really draw a good picture of the power of multiplatform titles. 2m shipped is solid.

sjay1994

Good for the farcry guys.

They seemed like the only ones with their heads on straight out of all the retail games ubi put out this year.

As for AC, I have become so jaded towards the franchise thanks to unity that I have zero interest in victory.

Also, London is not interesting imo.

Blood borne is my only Victorian game I am paying full price for this year.

Crossing Eden

Google says...

I'm definitely waiting for feed back on the next AC game before I consider grabbing it.
Oh I love having my level of intelligence determined by my choice of video game purchases.
It's not a fault to have better tastes to the masses. It's discouraging see Unity sell something. I hope the most of the sales coming to the cumulative of Rogue.
It's a fault to think that because you don't like something then that means that it's bad and/or you have better tastes than everyone who does like that. It's not really discouraging because all you have do is not buy the next game, crazy I know. There's nothing wrong with people enjoying these games.

omonimo

Banned
Oh I love having my level of intelligence determined by my choice of video game purchases.

It's a fault to think that because you don't like something then that means that it's bad and/or you have better tastes than everyone who does like that. It's not really discouraging because all you have do is not buy the next game, crazy I know.
It's quite proven to tons of reviews what wrong to this game but you can continue to hope it's good just because sell something. Thanks to God I have a different level intelligence to your.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I am willing to bet Rogue was very cost effective and required minimal amount of work. All it did was reuse assets from Black Flag.

Which is completely OK.

Out of curiosity, and this goes out to the thread, when I read things like your post above, I get curious: when people believe 'very cost effective and minimal amount of work' - how much does that mean to you in terms of resources? i.e. time, team size and budget?

Crossing Eden

It's quite proven to tons of reviews what wrong to this game but you can continue to hope it's good because sell something.
The game has a 7/10 on Metacritic, that's not worst game ever status. People defend Driveclub vehemently as if it's the next coming of racing games it has the same score. I don't have to "hope" that it's good. Them selling means that I get more of what I enjoy.

omonimo

Banned
The game has a 7/10 on Metacritic, that's not worst game ever status. People defend Driveclub vehemently as if it's the next coming of racing games it has the same score. I don't have to "hope" that it's good. Them selling means that I get more of what I enjoy.
I don't judge a game from the simple review score. It's a bit more about what the reviews reporting. There is nothing of wrong to appreciate bad games. I loved tons of bad games but I'm able to distinguish when a game it's terrible or less. Unity it's really indefensible
Oh now reviews matters!
I don't remember to have said they shouldn't. ..

Xiaoki

It's quite proven to tons of reviews what wrong to this game but you can continue to hope it's good just because sell something. Thanks to God I have a different level intelligence to your.
Wow, so now you're saying that people that don't like what you like are intellectually inferior?

Scientific research needs to be done on the GAF-Ubisoft hate phenomena. Because it seems the more GAF hates Ubisoft the more games Ubisoft sells.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Out of curiosity, and this goes out to the thread, when I read things like your post above, I get curious: when people believe 'very cost effective and minimal amount of work' - how much does that mean to you in terms of resources? i.e. time, team size and budget?

I would say if it had 1/3rd or less of the budget of Unity it'd be a major savings versus a regular entry at this point, especially since it can eventually be sold on the new platforms as well.

Crossing Eden

I don't judge a game from the simple review score. It's a bit more about what the reviews reporting. There is nothing of wrong to appreciate bad games. I loved tons of bad games but I'm able to distinguish when a game it's terrible or less. Unity it's really indefensible
I don't remember to have said they shouldn't. ..
Most of the reviews had problems with the technical issues more so than the actual gameplay itself. These aren't bad games. If they were legitimately bad they would most likely be selling as well as Sonic boom is right now.

omonimo

Banned
Wow, so now you're saying that people that don't like what you like are intellectually inferior?

Scientific research needs to be done on the GAF-Ubisoft hate phenomena. Because it seems the more GAF hates Ubisoft the more games Ubisoft sells.
I don't hate ubisoft game. Lol. Just to be precise when I said to have a different level of intelligence I just repeated sarcastic the same expression of him in the previous post.

omonimo

Banned
Most of the reviews had problems with the technical issues more so than the actual gameplay itself. These aren't bad games. If they were legitimately bad they would most likely be selling as well as Sonic boom is right now.
Unity it's unfortunately really bland. Combat system it's incredibly laggy. Missions boring and uninspired. I can put a long list to what was wrong about it and it's absolutely false to say reviewers criticize it just for the bugs.

Astral Dog

Nah, its a bit more than that, there are some Sonic games that aren't good quality but sold well.

Rising_Hei

All of their big games revolve around the same concepts, big empasis on open world + collectibles, this feels so wrong, imo

They are trying to exploit just one kind of game, once the concept gets old and people grows tired of it, they'll be in trouble once again

danmaku

It kinda is, i was expecting lower numbers like 7 million...good for Ubisoft i suppose, but they should put more attention in polishing their AAA main series.

They gave away free content to make up for the Unity disaster, so I think they are indeed worried about ruining the AC brand. I hope they realize they can't fuck up another major release like that (sales were great, sure, but Unity was riding on the success of IV, it won't be that easy for Victory). I didn't play FC4 but I had a lot of fun with 3 so it's not surprising 4 is doing well, it's the same formula and people that don't play 10 games per month won't get bored so easily of that formula.

Xiaoki

I don't hate ubisoft game. Lol. And say to have a different intelligence to the others it means I consider them inferior? Wat
Probably should refrain from using statements like:

"Thanks to God I have a different level intelligence to your."

Also, I hope people really really really hate Ubisoft around when The Division comes out.

Hystzen

GAF is not the centre of sales or gaming universe people still not getting that it seems.

Just because it talked about on here on street people don't care much about business practises or how games are released.

Plus I picked up Unity for £15 brand new due to price crash after patches made it more playable and surprise it not a bad game kind of fun.

Oh wait not allowed to like it because ubisoft blah blah blah

omonimo

Banned
Probably should refrain from using statements like:

"Thanks to God I have a different level intelligence to your."

Also, I hope people really really really hate Ubisoft around when The Division comes out.
Because he said to use his level of intelligence to judge a game and I replied ironically. It's called sarcasm. Really you think people hate ubisoft games just for sport? O_O It's more about to the real content of the games.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I would say if it had 1/3rd or less of the budget of Unity it'd be a major savings versus a regular entry at this point, especially since it can eventually be sold on the new platforms as well.

Okay, 1/3 approx is reasonable then.

I read that thinking sometimes and I have to wonder if people are claiming they think a game like Rogue would only cost $10MM or something like that.

I wouldn't be surprised if a game like Child of Light all-in would cost them something like $10MM. Rogue is clearly a fraction of Unity, but I would hardly call it 'no budget or effort' - games are expensive when you have that much overhead.

GAF is not the centre of sales or gaming universe people still not getting that it seems.

Just because it talked about on here on street people don't care much about business practises or how games are released.

Plus I picked up Unity for £15 brand new due to price crash after patches made it more playable and surprise it not a bad game kind of fun.

Oh wait not allowed to like it because ubisoft blah blah blah

I whole heartedly agree with the bolded but I think the majority of Gaf recognise we make up a sliver of many AAA sales, only a fool wouldn't recognise that.

Also keep on trucking and liking ACU bud, no one can hold that against you. Just try understand people's issues with the severe technical shortcomings and opinions of the janky as hell combat etc.

Top Bottom