• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft: Watch Dogs is leading on next-gen/PC, then being ported to current-gen

M°°nblade;48344436 said:
Yes, some people who were led to believe that the Wii U would be next-gen light sure are confused. Other people understands it's current-gen plus at most and expect an image quality that is much, much, much more aligned with the PS360 versions than the ones the PC and next-gen consoles will recieve.
I don't think anyone's really been under the illusion that Wii U comes closer to PS4/X3 than 360/PS3 spec wise for months now. That doesn't mean Wii U can't get a better conversion than PS360 of something downported though. Think roughly along the lines of PS2 vs Xbox (more modern GPU, double the RAM).

Did they ever officially confirm the 360/PS3 versions for 2013?

The quote in this thread is the exact same quote from a interview he did last week:

Question - Sony was able to rely on the copious presentation of Watch_Dogs, a Ubisoft game, during the conference. The game is also scheduled on PS3 and Xbox 360, for which generation was the game originally designed? PS4 to PS3, or the opposite?

Answer - Today Watch_Dogs is a game created on next-gen consoles. It's then ported on other machines. We will seek the power of the new generation, then ask other teams to try to incorporate those elements in the current consoles.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=514716

The next gen version (PC) of Watch_Dogs is being developed by Ubisoft Montreal.
Every other version is a down-port being ported by other ubisoft studios. Obviously the best downports will be the PS4/720 versions. The PS3/360/Wii U versions will be virtually the same.

That is nothing but PR nonsense about next gen are the lead platform. Montreal are not the team "porting" the ps4 version, they farm it out to the same team porting the wiiu.
Unless you work for Ubisoft, this is all speculation (aka made up bullshit) on your part.

OryoN

Not sure why some people are baffled by the decision to focus on the larger installed bases(PS360) last, it makes sense in a unique case like this.

6 simultaneous versions of a game, is a bit much, even for Ubisoft. Not impossible, but definitely ties up a lot of man power/studios. So let's assume for the moment that this the reason for doing some versions later. With that said, given the decision on which versions to focus on first, and WHY, it could easily have played out like this:

"We can't afford to have development of this game lag behind on next-gen - where our game is also best represented - and possibly arrive late. This is where our future will be, so we need to make all the right moves here. This game could be a system seller, especially if next-gen consoles are the only consoles with the game initially. We could focus on current gen consoles later, because a combined base of 100+ million current-gen-only gamers guarantees good sales, regardless of when the game arrives. This would also allow us more time to fine tune the game as best as possible for current consoles."

Not saying that's how I believed it actually played out, just saying that it's very easy to justify and understand why PS360 version are the last focus.

(The same thought process should be applied to Wii U, especially if sales are to pick up. Arriving late there should be avoided at all costs. It seems they are up to the task, having another studio work on that version as we speak. Hopefully they do a good job).

Exactly, Rayman Legends shows that ports aren't done in one month

Do you seriously expect Montreal to have Watch Dogs finish development on PC/PS4/Durango next month and then start porting the game to PS3 and 360?

Anyway, I don't really care anymore. I've tried to explain this too many times already. I'm out.
I'm just saying that you don't know what they're doing. Neither do I. Ubisoft makes some odd decisions. Concerning Legends, it looks more likely that they're holding on to it for the PS4...

Also, AFAIK many of the WiiU launch ports were only given a couple of months.

I doubt they'd have even been given that long if the dev tools were as well established as the PS3 or 360's.

Keep hoping for top-tier last gen support though. Maybe we'll have the first cross-gen in which there is no advancement and top efforts aren't reallocated to the new consoles. I just wouldn't hold my breath.

USC-fan

Banned
The quote in this thread is the exact same quote from a interview he did last week:

Question - Sony was able to rely on the copious presentation of Watch_Dogs, a Ubisoft game, during the conference. The game is also scheduled on PS3 and Xbox 360, for which generation was the game originally designed? PS4 to PS3, or the opposite?

Answer - Today Watch_Dogs is a game created on next-gen consoles. It's then ported on other machines. We will seek the power of the new generation, then ask other teams to try to incorporate those elements in the current consoles.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=514716

The next gen version (PC) of Watch_Dogs is being developed by Ubisoft Montreal.
Every other version is a down-port being ported by other ubisoft studios. Obviously the best downports will be the PS4/720 versions. The PS3/360/Wii U versions will be virtually the same.
Its not created on "next-gen consoles" it on a PC. Unless montreal are just doing the PC and next xbox vesion. PS4 is getting down port by the same people making the wiiu version.

Unless you work for Ubisoft, this is all speculation (aka made up bullshit) on your part.

It on their facebook...
Ati vazut prezentarea Sony despre PS4 si noul trailer WATCH_DOGS? Suntem mandri sa va prezentam echipa care lucreaza la proiect in Bucuresti.
GT:
Have you seen presenting Sony's PS4 and new trailer WATCH_DOGS? We are proud to present the team working on the project in Bucharest.

http://www.facebook.com/UbisoftRomania

Unless they just mean they are working on Watchdog[wiiu version] but looking at this it looks like they are looking on the PS4 version. Hope this isnt the case...

yeah...running...
1657797_o.gif

lol.

I want to make something clear.

The English quote in my OT is NOT a translation. I sat next to the interviewer who played a tape of the interview to me, in English.

Ubisoft clearly says that they develop Watch Dogs on high end PCs and next gen consoles and after that will look if they can port the game to current gen.

Now perhaps Yves didn't articulate himself properly and they have current gen versions in development. But it sure as hell wasn't what he said.

No, that quote does not mean what you think it means.

He is saying:
- Montreal is doing a next gen version not caring about lesser hardware
- Other teams are trying to make it fit on current gen hardware

So, in other words. The game is being developed as a next gen game first and then other teams try to make it work on PS3/360/WiiU?

Is it just me, or are certain people so hellbent on dismissing the Wii U that they are twisting the literal English words from the interview so that they can lump it in with the PS360?

I think Ubisoft's statement contains a pretty clear implication that they consider the Wii U version of WatchDogs as one of the "next-gen" versions, considering it is confirmed currently up and running on Wii U during a time where they just said they are working on the PC and next-gen versions. Not to mention that the studio working on the Wii U port is also the one working on the PS4 port, if this is to be believed:

That is working also on the PS4 version, as it is implied on their FB page.

Derrick01

Banned
This is not going to end well, is it ?

For current (last) gen consoles? No. But for everyone who plays it as god intended, on ps4/720/PC, it will end gloriously as far as the graphics go.

We could all be fucked as far as the gameplay is concerned though. You always have to be cautious with a Ubisoft title, especially an open world one.

M°°nblade;48344436 said:
Yes, some people who were led to believe that the Wii U would be next-gen light sure are confused. Other people understands it's current-gen plus at most and expect an image quality that is much, much, much more aligned with the PS360 versions than the ones the PC and next-gen consoles will recieve.
What does next-gen light really mean?And how can people understand something they know nothing about,Nintendo released a very short spec sheet and left the rest for use to figure out.The really smart people (not all of them are smart btw) in the die shot threads are confused about what they are seeing from the shots.Some of those guys don't care if the wii-u is barely ps360 spec they want to know what it can do and some of the stuff is just not adding up.

Hiltz

For current (last) gen consoles? No. But for everyone who plays it as god intended, on ps4/720/PC, it will end gloriously as far as the graphics go.

We could all be fucked as far as the gameplay is concerned though.

Yeah, that's what I thought will be the case. If Assassin's Creed 3 suffers from severe framerate issues on all the current-gen platforms, then I find it to be a concern how a next-gen game being ported to Wii U is going to turn out like if Ubisoft tries to cram in stuff the console may not be able to handle well enough taking into account the scale of the game. Cross dem fingers.

This is a pleasant surprise that its designed with next-gen hardware in mind, but I still see a lot of techniques from last-gen that could be handled better (such as the shadows).

I also feel bad for whomever gets asked to downport the game.

Its not created on "next-gen consoles" it on a PC. Unless montreal are just doing the PC and next xbox vesion. PS4 is getting down port by the same people making the wiiu version.

I said that in my original post:
"The next gen version (PC) of Watch_Dogs is being developed by Ubisoft Montreal."

As far as his interview answer he was being asked specifically about console versions that's why he worded it that way.

Montreal prioritizing PC/Durango lead wouldn't surprise me in the least. I get the feeling it's going to be a (western) industry wide trend too, 360/PS3 all over again...

Is it just me, or are certain people so hellbent on dismissing the Wii U that they are twisting the literal English words from the interview so that they can lump it in with the PS360?

I think Ubisoft's statement contains a pretty clear implication that they consider the Wii U version of WatchDogs as one of the "next-gen" versions, considering it is confirmed currently up and running on Wii U during a time where they just said they are working on the PC and next-gen versions. Not to mention that the studio working on the Wii U port is also the one working on the PS4 port, if this is to be believed:

The reason people lump the Wii U version with the PS3/360 versions is because every single multi-plat released so far for the Wii U is either slightly worse or on par with the current gen versions. Only one game to my knowledge,Trine 2, is better on the Wii U.
If companies are struggling to get 360 versions to run well on the Wii U what do you think will happen with next gen games?

NotLiquid

Oh so Ubisoft Bucharest are working on both the Wii U and the PS4 version?

Not sure whether that says more about the PS4 version or the Wii U version, but I can easily see that setting apart both versions from the 360/PS3 versions. We know that Watch Dogs was running on a supposedly PS4 spec'd PC but that says little about how the game will actually end up looking like on that console.

charsace

There will be two types of cross-generational games.

1)Games made for next gen that are down ported to current gen.
2)Games made for current gen that are up ported to next gen.

Most new franchises will fall into type 1 and stuff like COD, FIFA, madden, etc. will fall into type 2.

ticl

Banned
...Wait.
This + Wii U version already running means that...the Wii U version is a downscaled next-gen one?

where does it say the wii u is downported? it means they see the wii u as next genereation no matter what you guys think

The reason people lump the Wii U version with the PS3/360 versions is because every single multi-plat released so far for the Wii U is either slightly worse or on par with the current gen versions. Only one game to my knowledge,Trine 2, is better on the Wii U.
If companies are struggling to get 360 versions to run well on the Wii U what do you think will happen with next gen games?

Companies struggled to get 360 versions of their games to run on PS3 as well. It has a lot to do with the architecture of the machines being different. However, you do make a solid point. Hopefully the conversion will surprise us.

ticl

Banned
evidently uou dont have a wii u. calling the wii u worse than the ps3 or 360 is idiodict. i have all 3 and the wii version blows away everything that is on all 3 consoles. madden isnt from what i hear. but ac,darksiders, trine mass effect on the wii u blow away the ps3 and 360 both in looks and how they play. even my 26 year old son who beleaves the ps3 is god in video games says the wii u versions are leaps ahead of the current generation adnd so do the makers of watchdogs. they even say in interviews that there is really no diff between the ps4 version and the wii u. how do you like that?
its amazing how on this site guys like this just rip the wii u and probably have never even played 1. its sad for them really.

where does it say the wii u is downported? it means they see the wii u as next genereation no matter what you guys think
Well it's not going to be up-ported to the wii-u and downported does mean they don't think the wii-u is not a nexgen system.In fact if we go by rumors strongest to weakest it'll start on the pc the down-ported to then ps4,durango,wii-u,then ps360.

Derrick01

Banned
Companies struggled to get 360 versions of their games to run on PS3 as well. It has a lot to do with the architecture of the machines being different. However, you do make a solid point. Hopefully the conversion will surprise us.

It'll be easier for them to just up-port the 360 version and maybe add a little here and there. They're making an open world game on Wii U, a system with a CPU (usually important for open world games) that many devs have said is worse than 360/ps3 and it has an extremely low amount of RAM compared to ps4/720. Now it has more than 360, but it's a lot closer to 360's RAM than ps4/720. It'll be easier to just port over the 360 version.

Pyronite

I thought the Romanian team was the main team on this one, at least they are working on both the Wii U and PS4 versions.

Ubisoft Montreal is the main team on this one.

But... there are a ton of people working on it. They're "fronting" it more than anything. There's at least one studio I know of working entirely on a single feature.

Spiegel

Unless they just mean they are working on Watchdog[wiiu version] but looking at this it looks like they are looking on the PS4 version. Hope this isnt the case...

Watch Dogs is made by a colaboration between multiple studios: Reflections, Montreal, Bucharest, Paris and Quebec.

Now read this again:

"Have you seen Sony presenting PS4 and the new WATCH_DOGS trailer? We are proud to present the team working on the project in Bucharest."

The image in FB is to show the people working on Watch Dogs in Bucharest. It's not to say who is doing what.

Meelow

Banned

Than they should see Need for Speed Most Wanted U

If the devs put work into the Wii U versons they will look better than PS3/360 versions.

kinggroin

Banned
evidently uou dont have a wii u. calling the wii u worse than the ps3 or 360 is idiodict. i have all 3 and the wii version blows away everything that is on all 3 consoles. madden isnt from what i hear. but ac,darksiders, trine mass effect on the wii u blow away the ps3 and 360 both in looks and how they play. even my 26 year old son who beleaves the ps3 is god in video games says the wii u versions are leaps ahead of the current generation adnd so do the makers of watchdogs. they even say in interviews that there is really no diff between the ps4 version and the wii u. how do you like that?
its amazing how on this site guys like this just rip the wii u and probably have never even played 1. its sad for them really.

Fuck

some of you guys are really grasping at straws here... arguing over semantics, none of this really makes a difference at the end of the day, ya know? This looks like a sweet game, it's coming out on every possible platform you can own, in any way how is that a bad thing

Unfortunately for some people, a Wii U port/exclusive is a disaster and they shit up threads because of it *cough* Lego City *cough*

Anyway...

After the debacle with Legends (Delaying the FINISHD game angered me, not the multiplat), they are slowly redeeming themselves one by one. Splinter Cell coming to Wii U (Although not my kind of game) and Watch_Dogs apparently not a rushed upport from 360 are good signs so far.

PSYGN

Nothing I saw functionally from Watch Dogs couldn't be translated to current gen. But it definitely won't be looking as realistic or alive as the next-gen version.

In that respect, it's perfectly understandable to lump them together. As far as we can tell, they are pretty close spec-wise.

I'm just talking about people employing highly selective reading and some creative spin in this particular thread to try and lump them together in a way contrary to what the actual quotes and articles are telling us.

I don't think we can be sure one way or another but when a quote says, in plain English:
"The team is developing it on high end pc's and next gen, after that other teams are looking how they can make it fit for the older generation. So the first approach is to see how they can take full advantage of the next gen consoles."

... and we know that the Wii U version is up and running and we are pretty sure Ubisoft Bucharest is porting both the Wii U and PS4 versions because of this, how do we come to active conclusion that the Wii U version is considered one of the last-gen versions from this information?

lantus

I'm sorry, but I have a hard time believing you have a 26 year old son with grammar that bad.

It'll be easier for them to just up-port the 360 version and maybe add a little here and there. They're making an open world game on Wii U, a system with a CPU (usually important for open world games) that many devs have said is worse than 360/ps3 and it has an extremely low amount of RAM compared to ps4/720. Now it has more than 360, but it's a lot closer to 360's RAM than ps4/720. It'll be easier to just port over the 360 version.
Generally no, downporting is more efficient than upporting. It leads to better results too, with both the superior U ports so far (Trine 2, NFSMW) being PC downports rather than console conversions for example.

The possibility of Wii U and PS4 being done by the same team also might increase the likelihood PC downport rather than 360 conversion for Wii U. Actually, it's even possible the PS360 versions might be downported from that if Bucharest is also handling those. We really need to wait for more information, but right now it sounds like Wii U is the furthest along among "last gen" SKUs.

kfpkiller

Wat. That's completely false.
Are you playing your ps3 with composite cables?

McLovin

Making it for nextgen and porting to current gen seems like the right move to me. I'de be pissed if most ps4/Xbox games where ports.

Raide

I am guessing if nextgen version sells amazing, the previous gen version will get dropped.

I am glad they are focusing on nextgen first.

I do own a Wii U. Please post a picture of the one that you own.

DSCF1381_zps55fd0e1e.jpg

DSCF1380_zps487508b5.jpg

As you can see in the picture, i also own a 360 (it's hooked up via hdmi cables too).
I downloaded demo's of the following games for both systems:

Fifa13
NBA 2k13
Sonic Racing

Unless something is wrong with my eyes, these games looked virtually the same on both systems.
As far as other Wii U releases go, i can only go by what other people have said about them as well as side-by-side comparisons done by digital foundry etc... since i've never owned them.

I'm not even gonna address the other stuff you stated.

While I do agree that a lot of those rushed port titles that launched on the Wii U didnt performance as well as the PS360 version they did sport better textures and colors. However, its a bad way of measuring what the hardware could do. The other 2 consoles has had 7 years of optimization and dev experience with them. This 2nd wave of games is gonna really start to show the difference. Most Wanted U is a great example of that. I really cant wait to see the Wii U version running.

FStop7

Banned

Wat

I have a Wii U. Wii U ME3 has drops in frame rate that are pretty bad vs. the 360.

This fucking guy.

Holy shit.

Top Bottom