• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFG making new game set in Sleeping Dogs universe (Triad Wars), unveiling 2014

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Don't get me wrong, I would have zero surprise if they're also putting out long development time iOS games, it's just that I think this is the "turn singleplayer game into pseudo-MMO" plan.

Okay here we go:

We are looking for an experienced network programmer to work with our online team to develop the multiplayer features of our next gen console title. The candidate must have solid C++ programming experience, understanding of network programming models, excellent communication ability, and a passion for creating world class online titles. The ideal candidate will also have been credited on several console titles, worked with multiplayer middleware packages, and have experience with state replication, interpolation, bandwidth optimization, and knowledge of common multiplayer features such as matchmaking, invites, game lobbies, leader boards, stats, etc.

BigDug13

I don't mind if this "persistence online experience" is something like GTA Online.

Yeah I don't understand why GTA Online has so much hype but a similar experience in the Sleeping Dogs universe is automatically frowned upon judging by some of the posts in this thread.

Squire

Banned
JLijS.gif

Please be SP-focused and none of that "Mingleplayer" crap.

Hopefully another great alternative to contemporary open-world games in a hopefully non-American setting.

Online will probably be dead in 3 months after release. I'd rather have them spend more manpower on a strong SP-story.

Grief.exe

Sleeping Dogs will probably end up as my LTTP 2012 favorite title, but persistent online universe?

I am very skeptical that this will be a compelling title.

I have two demands. If classes are an option I want to be either

1, Driver- you drive cars to players and say 'Ta-kla be there right away"
2. Pork Bun vendor- you haven't truly lived unless you taste these pork buns

Derrick01

Banned
Persistent online guarantees it will be a trash tier game that's focused solely on sucking your money away instead of being a decent game. That's what most of this next generation is going to be.

Dark Octave said:
Sleeping Dogs was amazing, so yeah I'm down for this.

That's some faulty logic considering this will likely have very little in common with what made Sleeping Dogs a solid game.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I don't think they would wait until 2014 to unveil an iOS game, and I suspect that's not "something we’ve wanted to do for ages" given they could have finished on iOS game ages ago.

True that. Would prefer another single player adventure, but as long as it's faithful to the core of Sleeping Dogs, I'll take a GTA online-style multiplayer game if it means more pork buns.

Dr Dogg

True that. Would prefer another single player adventure, but as long as it's faithful to the core of Sleeping Dogs, I'll take a GTA online-style multiplayer game if it means more pork buns.

Just as long as there's none of those chase/parkour missions. It was bad enough in a single player environment let alone with an online word full of grieffing little toe rags getting in the way.

Gbraga

I'd be way more excited if it wasn't a Square-Enix game.

Still very optimistic though, WEI SHEN MOTHERFUCKER, WHO ARE YOU?

Very interesting. I think I'd prefer a straight Sleeping Dogs sequel, but this being "in the same universe" makes me curious. Are they actually going to seriously attempt a persistent online crime game?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Sounds like an RTS or something. If it were Sleeping Dogs 2 they'd call it that. Could be another genre or even an iOS game.

Don't get your hopes up folks.

Jachaos

That's some faulty logic considering this will likely have very little in common with what made Sleeping Dogs a solid game.

Sleeping Dogs universe

A big part of the game's appeal to me was that. It was cruising at night with the rain in Hong Kong with the neons and Ninja Tune Radio playing, some cantonese commercials every now and then. The art of the cover and menu with the music and sounds when you first turned it on. Sure the combat was great and the story was good and the world felt alive with the random events and banter they introduced and it was funny and it was one of my favourite games from last year if not my favourite and was so because of the combination of all those reasons, but the world itself is a big part of why I love that game and to have another one set in that universe is great news for me. Hopefully it's as amazing. I know there's potential disappointment with what the title implies. But still they've well earned my benefit of the doubt.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Hey I have an idea. How about a new Sleeping Dogs?!

Like just a new Sleeping Dogs. No online, no mobile, no social. Like....just sleeping dogs. You could call it Sleeping Dogs 2 and it would be a new Sleeping Dogs essentially.

Silky

Banned
Sleeping Dogs online?!?!!?!?!?!? YES ALL OF MY MONEY.

Make it just like GTA online, if not better. All of my dosh

ramb0211

Banned
Sleeping Dogs is still the open world crime game to beat in my opinion. I will judge this game on the quality of content it produces when combined with Giantbomb's Vinny Caravella. Please don't be some crazy F2P MMO.

Some Nobody

Yeah I don't understand why GTA Online has so much hype but a similar experience in the Sleeping Dogs universe is automatically frowned upon judging by some of the posts in this thread.

GTA Online is half of a game that has a gigantic, robut single-player experience. You can play through GTA V and spend hours upon hours completing the main story as well as the side stories, get more than your MPH (money per hour)'s worth out of the game and never even touch the online game.

If "Triad Wars" does that? Cool. We're all good, and I'll buy the game. But Sleeping Dogs is one of the few new IPs that came out this gen people even gave a fuck about. (Along with Borderlands, Uncharted, a couple others...) This, despite a frankly disgusting amount of DLC. (Some bad, some good.) If Square-Enix decides to take the only interesting thing its done in the last seven years and make it a fucking F2P MMO "experience", I will actually be pissed.

As far as "Triad Wars", that's a little dull but I'd have liked a story that continued looking at different games, and maybe one down the line that was just a giant, ridiculous story of a worldwide war between gangs, but that's a little fantastical, even for Sleeping Dogs.

I don't care about the online component just give me that single player goodness in all its next-gen glory. I loved Sleeping Dogs on PS3.

That was pretty great, until I started reading the replies, and my hopes where ruined, cause now I have a strong feeling this is going to be a MP/MMO focused game.

Sober

Having been back to Hong Kong I hope the rendition of HK in this is a lot larger. Like tons of skyscrapers larger.

UrbanRats

I'm not sure how i feel about this.
I know i am VERY worried about an online only title, but i need to see more before entering full panic mode.

If GTAV didn't have singleplayer i'd have lost my shit.
Besides, GTAOnline is completely broken, so it doesn't inspire that much hope, considering R* has about a gazilion dollars more at their disposal (granted they also have a bigger userbase to keep track of).

Much of what i loved about Sleeping Dogs was in cruising around the city soaking in the atmosphere, so if have to deal with griefers and kids to play the sequel, i won't enjoy it nearly as much.

Dinda

"it’s something we’ve wanted to do for ages"

Please let it be the original version of Sleeping Dogs (Black Lotus) with a female protagonist.

Top Bottom