• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 multiplayer detailed

sense

i do have to say that the season pass mp stuff seems rubbish and i might be reconsidering the purchase of the season pass and just hold on to see if i can just buy the sp add on for cheaper

Ricky_R

If we look at how different Sony first-party studios has handled their multiplayer models (ranging from wtf are you doing ND to so awesome Evo), I feel like MP's monetisation models are largely determined by the studios, and Sony just makes sure it's not too generous or will make them lose money in the projections.

I'll take your word for it since I'm not really familiar with how Sony first party games differ in their multiplayer monetisation. I assumed the publisher called the shots in that department, with a least a few standard stuff and then the developer could build on that.

In the case of Evo, it might've been to mitigate the unfortunate release. I don't know about other studios, though.

Strider

Sounds good. Especially excited for co-op.

I know the game had a pretty long beta period for the mp in this game but I didn't play too much of it... Have they talked about or released notes for changes they've made since then? Whether balancing weapons or anything else....?

jiggles

Banned
I like how they say there is no "pay to win" because you can earn all the items through gameplay...

Or buy them with real money if you want to save time.

LITERALLY WHAT PEOPLE MEAN BY "PAY TO WIN"

I kind of really like this gen's approach to DLC. Free maps, things unlockable by playing a bunch but you can also buy them. Of course there's opportunities for abuse but if done right it's a win-win.

B00TE

Damn, was hoping for co-op right at launch. Nice to know it's coming though! Can't wait, I may actually play the competitive multi in this just from how good the game felt to play in the beta.

AKyemeni

I like how they say there is no "pay to win" because you can earn all the items through gameplay...

Not it isn't. Pay to win means the only way getting overpowered weapons is to buy them.

Alienous

Companies are starting to realize to not have everything available day 1 so as to make sure people keep coming back as new content drops and they don't sell their disk back. it is a good tactic actually. as long as it is not street fighter 5 levels of missing content i think it is fine. plus the SP alone is worth the entire cost in this case

It is smart.

Who would have thought Nintendo would innovate something like that? It really does maintain player interest.

Jay Seven

Banned
Wait there's no co-op in multi-player at launch? If so, I suddenly couldn't care less about UC4s multiplayer. Was expecting a horde mode of some kind like in UC3.

I'm glad all map DLC will be free and the game won't be pay-to-win! But I REALLY wanted Free-for-all (and 3TDM to a lesser extent) to carry over from Uncharted 3. FFA was the best mode for lonewolves to get good at the game without having to deal with unfair team distribution (e.g. a party of 5 vs 5 randoms).

The amount of modes at launch is quite disappointing, to be honest. And there's no classic mode, either. =\

ZeroX03

Banned
Sounds like they fixed basically every complaint?

Not psyched about that season pass anymore though, if the MP stuff is unlockable I'm really only paying for the SP content. Might hold off and see what just the SP DLC costs.

That's literally not the meaning at all.

Your avatar even looks confused. This is not Pay to Win.

B00TE

Missed the Trials mode thing while skimming, is this something like humans vs bots? Or do I enter solo. Also, what are these relics we get for doing them?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I kind of really like this gen's approach to DLC. Free maps, things unlockable by playing a bunch but you can also buy them. Of course there's opportunities for abuse but if done right it's a win-win.

Yeah, I agreee. If MTs for cosmetic unlocks fuel more and more games to adopt a model where the meaty content gets released at no extra cost then I'm all for it. It's honestly a benefit of the MT model that I never expected and I'm glad it seems to be catching on.

todahawk

Glad they're moving away from TLOU MP monetization model and towards this, I like it.

Single player DLC for Uncharted is a pleasant surprise as well, wasn't expecting that either.

Jay Seven

Banned
Sounds like they fixed basically every complaint?

Not psyched about that season pass anymore though, if the MP stuff is unlockable I'm really only paying for the SP content. Might hold off and see what just the SP DLC costs.

That's literally not the meaning at all.
Really? I just Googled the phrase and that's literally what pay to win means.

sense

It is smart.

Who would have thought Nintendo would innovate something like that? It really does maintain player interest.

heh personally i don't think nintendo are the first ones to come up with this idea. they are one of the few that have been successful with it maybe

Hello
Bout to drop some KNOWLEDGE on you
Pay To Win has been misused by 99% percent of people
Pay To Win IS ACTUALLY where the ONLY way to get certain weapons that are OP/markedly better than other weapons is by paying for it
This isn't that
This is Pay To Skip
You can earn everything for free, OR you can pay and get it earlier.

AKyemeni

Well ask yourself how can you win with a Hat in a PVP game?

809127-uncharted-3-drake-s-deception-chloe-nurse-hat-playstation.png

Ayyy lmao

Lesson learned from UC3 i see .
After the disapointment that was that season pass , no way i would have bought another.

Wait there's no co-op in multi-player at launch? If so, I suddenly couldn't care less about UC4s multiplayer. Was expecting a horde mode of some kind like in UC3.

Same here.

I never liked Uncharted competitive multiplayer but loved co-op modes. I had a feeling this would happen since they were all quiet with mp modes.

Horrible news, hype deflated.

ZeroX03

Banned

You just read Urban Dictionary, the most reliable website on the internet.

Pay to win means you have an advantage others don't. Not the case. That people like to mislabel it to things like paying to avoid the grind is their problem.

Memento

Bummer about no COOP at launch, but hey, better later than never.

The rest sounds amazing though! Trials sounds fun in particular!

Boke1879

heh personally i don't think nintendo are the first ones to come up with this idea. they are one of the few that have been successful with it maybe

Yea it's all part of the "games as a service" model. If done well it's a great thing. Like this and Halo. More games should with MP should adopt this and do it right with a roadmap.

I would assume it would keep most of the players interest a lot longer.

xRaizen

Hello
Bout to drop some KNOWLEDGE on you
Pay To Win has been misused by 99% percent of people
Pay To Win IS ACTUALLY where the ONLY way to get certain weapons that are OP/markedly better than other weapons is by paying for it
This isn't that
This is Pay To Skip
You can earn everything for free, OR you can pay and get it earlier.
Depends. Pay to skip can also = pay to win if earning things take an absurd amount of time.

If it takes like 50 hours to get something that Joe Schmoe paid $5 to get instantly, that's BS.

Strider

I would argue that in some cases pay to skip is pay to win as well.... If the grind is too long. Some games, mostly freemium iOS though, will allow you to technically unlock everything just by playing but it will take so long it's not even realistic to do so.

It really just all depends on how long it takes to unlock stuff. I doubt it's more than a few hours in UC4 though.

Depends. Pay to skip can also = pay to win if earning things take an absurd amount of time.

If it takes like 50 hours to get something that Joe Schmoe paid $5 to get instantly, that's BS.

Edit: beaten by a post lol

But yea totally agree. As long as it's not ridiculiusly grindy I'm ok with it.

Top Bottom