• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

University of Manchester Students' Union bans clapping

Hudo

Gold Member
Holy fuck, they must be bored as hell. Apparently you've got nothing else to do if you study in Manchester.
Let's hope they'll crack down on the real issue at hand: Breathing is kinda annoying, isn't it?

Dunki

well this did not las long. The damage control is pretty funny

https://mancunion.com/2018/10/02/banning-clapping-students-union/

‘We are not banning clapping’, Students’ Union clarifies
WRITTEN BY AMY WEI ON 2ND OCTOBER 2018. POSTED IN NEWS
The University of Manchester Students’ Union (SU) have produced a press release clarifying their controversial new policy voted through Senate last week, which resolves to “swap audible clapping out” for British Sign Language (BSL) clapping at SU democratic events.
The motion was voted through with a two-thirds majority on Thursday 27th September. It quickly drew national media coverage, as well as a series of Twitter attacks from Good Morning Britain co-host Piers Morgan.
The language in the original policy, proposed to Senate by Liberation & Access Exec Officer Sara Khan, resolved: “to swap audible clapping out for BSL clapping at SU events in order to make them more accessible”, and secondly, “to encourage student groups and societies to do the same, and to include BSL clapping as a part of inclusion training.”
However, the SU have since clarified in a new official statement that they “are not banning audible clapping” and that the policy resolves to “encourage British Sign Language (BSL) clapping during our democratic events

jolof96

Next they will rename themselves into the university of chester, in order to not presume gender norms?

you must have missed the news report where they are renaming the city to Personchester in the name of inclusiveness, however it isnt inclusive of those who do not identify as a person

Typhares

Can someone explain to me why clapping might be problematic for deaf people?
For the ones with autism or sensory issues I can understand.
Like even if you're deaf you can see someone clapping as much as you can see someone doing jazz hands. Or do deaf people still "feel" the clap?

nkarafo

I have worked with kids with ASD and EBD for years. You know what we as rational educators do? We gauge the kids reactions based on an IEP. If they have sensitivity to noise yet want to go to the pep-fest, we provide them with headphones or ear plugs. Wow. Problem solved without making the entire school have to accomidate one child. Pretty crazy I know.
Well, you know. Clapping is fun. If one kid can't have fun, nobody can.

highrider

Banned
This seems like it is meant to illicit a specific ‘ bemoaning the crazy sjw/cluck culture ‘ type response. It’s only compounded by it being a college, everyone hates college students anyway.

Harlock

We are getting there.

zTU4HGG.0.gif

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
I'd say this takes the cake but every day a new PC/pampered-ness/snowflake thing comes up that goes one step to epic-absurdity

Jmarshall

Holy fuck, they must be bored as hell. Apparently you've got nothing else to do if you study in Manchester.
Let's hope they'll crack down on the real issue at hand: Breathing is kinda annoying, isn't it?

It's a Student Union, which are always run by crazies who get nowhere in real life.

Drake

Reminds me of that time when a feminist conference asked people to use Jazz hands instead of clapping. how do these people function in normal society?

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I can understand the worry about autism here, because I expect loud clapping to be pretty distracting to them and consequently making it hard to follow a debate. But if you are deaf, clapping shouldn't be problematic to you, because you can see people are clapping (so no information is lost) and since you cannot hear it, you will not be distracted by the clapping. In fact, the bigger issue for deaf people would be how to follow a normal debate in the first place.

llien

Is there known statistics on how many people would benefit from "jazz hands"?

I heard about the "triggers, don't clap", but thought it was made up to lol at opponents.
After learning that "feminist geography" is real, may I ask if "feminist dance therapy" is real too?

Can someone explain to me why clapping might be problematic for deaf people?
For the ones with autism or sensory issues I can understand.
Like even if you're deaf you can see someone clapping as much as you can see someone doing jazz hands. Or do deaf people still "feel" the clap?
I think anyone will feel the effects of the clap...

Akuza89

I still find it funny now how the university has realised how stupid they're students are and they're trying to back track on it now haha

“Given the enormous amount of media attention on a motion passed at our Senate last week, and a number of inaccuracies in media reports on the matter, the University of Manchester Students’ Union feels it necessary to clarify the scope and intentions of the policy.

‘Not banning clapping’
“The policy was proposed in order to encourage the use of British Sign Language (BSL) clapping during our democratic events to make those events more accessible and inclusive for all. We are not banning audible clapping – we understand that some people may be more comfortable to continue using it.”

Source

They put it out there even did a video interview went on television about it and now they're trying to back track. Oh dear.

Dunki

I still find it funny now how the university has realised how stupid they're students are and they're trying to back track on it now haha

Source

They put it out there even did a video interview went on television about it and now they're trying to back track. Oh dear.
I love how they argue that they never did ban clapping but just encouraged it when their Link even with the correction says:

mancunion.com/2018/10/02/banning-clapping-students-union/

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I'm deaf. I've mentioned that a few times already. Anyway, the way deaf people do applause is with "jazz hands", though none of us call it that.

We can't hear (unless you're late life deaf and have a Cochlear Implant) so applause has to be visual (yes clapping is visual but it doesn't hold the same effect for us).

I kinda get it... Hearing folks don't understand how it makes sense, so they think it's stupid. But to deafies, it does.

Dunki

I'm deaf. I've mentioned that a few times already. Anyway, the way deaf people do applause is with "jazz hands", though none of us call it that.

We can't hear (unless you're late life deaf and have a Cochlear Implant) so applause has to be visual (yes clapping is visual but it doesn't hold the same effect for us).

I kinda get it... Hearing folks don't understand how it makes sense, so they think it's stupid. But to deafies, it does.
blind people then? What i with people who would freak the hell out with them using jazz hands? You will in the end always exclude someone and with deaf people I wonder if these even have a translator for sign language on the stage or not.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
blind people then? What i with people who would freak the hell out with them using jazz hands? You will in the end always exclude someone and with deaf people I wonder if these even have a translator for sign language on the stage or not.

Who knows... Probably not.

Why not just want quieter clapping, then? Or tell people they can either clap or do the sign language applause... Thus reducing noise overall since not everyone would be clapping?

Dunki

Who knows... Probably not.

Why not just want quieter clapping, then? Or tell people they can either clap or do the sign language applause... Thus reducing noise overall since not everyone would be clapping?
I am all for choice. I just do not like the word ban and that others decide what you are allowed to do in these cases

Top Bottom