• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unreal Engine 4 is free for use now

Furyous

What's a quick simple game I could make to place on my linkedin profile with this engine? I need a career that doesn't fucking suck and feel it's about time to use all this free software.

Corona sent me an email this morning telling me it's free as well so shout out to competition.

Epic move!

Hell if I was the 15 year old me I would definitely be digging deep!!

Now a days home, watch a program, play a game and sleep lol

Reading it more, this could be a boom for small-studio 3D films that would have a hard time getting approved for dev at places like Pixar or Dreamworks. More adult stuff like Appleseed or Karas (that wasn't all CG but still).

Might even study 3D modeling/animation on the off-time just in case.

The extra... 20 bucks a month?
No I meant for developers. This would cut down on costs on their end and maybe bring budgets down-to-Earth.

Which won't happen because the publishers will likely use the freed-up cash to put into marketing or hiring more Hollywood actors for VA.

Griss

Are either of Unreal or Unity connected in any way to any of the VR projects? Are there any plans to do so?

Because setting up a simple level like an island or something, paying an artist to provide some decent textures, and then wandering around your own island in VR - that's something that would be totally awesome, and really easy with an engine like this if the VR APIs were linked in to the engine somehow.

I doubt it's there right now, but I'm sure it'll happen eventually.

I'm actually surprised to hear this coming from your mouth. I thought you smarter than that.

I can't help it. I do agree that it looks like a template model that was dressed up to look like a character from the classic UT series. Kind of like the equivalent to a poser model.
It still looks a bit rough, but I guess I should expect that since the game is still early in development and a lot of the visual design still doesn't seem like it has been nailed down yet.

Are either of Unreal or Unity connected in any way to any of the VR projects? Are there any plans to do so?

Because setting up a simple level like an island or something, paying an artist to provide some decent textures, and then wandering around your own island in VR - that's something that would be totally awesome, and really easy with an engine like this if the VR APIs were linked in to the engine somehow.

Pretty sure there are lots of VR projects for both engines right now. I don't have a list but both heavily adverse that they suppose Oculus.

UE4 does currently support Oculus and I believe Morpheus.

Tain

VR is practically effortless in UE4. It's on by default, and it's pretty effortless to just dump assets into a scene and check it out in VR.

Out-of-the-box Occulus support right now, but I'd expect them to support any other major VR standard in double-quick time.

Anything releasing on consoles can't use this license, they need to go the normal licensing route and pay a flat six-figure fee or hook up with a publisher who will pay it for them.

False. PS4 & Xbone support complementary with your $0/month subscription (proof of being approved to develop for said console required).

Anything releasing on consoles can't use this license, they need to go the normal licensing route and pay a flat six-figure fee or hook up with a publisher who will pay it for them.
Oh. Well then, that kinda sucks. Wonder why that doesn't apply to PC devs.

If anything this will just push even more of the interesting indie games to PC-only, as if the disparity between them and consoles wasn't bad enough.

Out-of-the-box Occulus support right now, but I'd expect them to support any other major VR standard in double-quick time.

False. PS4 & Xbone support complementary with your $0/month subscription (proof of being approved to develop for said console required).
Mmm, that sounds better. Should open up the chance for a lot of mid-tier console exclusives again.

Xdrive05

Best news I've seen in a long time, right up my alley. Now I just need to learn C++. I'm doing Java at work, which I hear is very similar. Guess I should take a class or something.

Way to go Epic!

Orayn

Oh. Well then, that kinda sucks. Wonder why that doesn't apply to PC devs.

If anything this will just push even more of the interesting indie games to PC-only, as if the disparity between them and consoles wasn't bad enough.

I guess my last post was wrong, you can actually use this license if you're an approved PS4/XB1 developer.

There's still an application process involved in that, but you can potentially get approved and acquire a loaner devkit for little to no money. If you can't get a loaner kit, it's at least a few thousand bucks there, and a couple thousand more for the final certification and ESRB/PEGI ratings required to actually release a game.

I guess my last post was wrong, you can actually use this license if you're an approved PS4/XB1 developer.

There's still an application process involved in that, but you can potentially get approved and acquire a loaner devkit for little to no money. If you can't get a loaner kit, it's at least a few thousand bucks there, and a couple thousand more for the final certification and ESRB/PEGI ratings required to actually release a game.
Yeah and I also imagine licensing fees with the both of them would still deter certain developers who can't cover those costs.

I have absolutely zero programming skills but this is the first program I can think of that's both free and very powerful for 3D rendering which could be a boon for film animators and reference models.

I can't help it. I do agree that it looks like a template model that was dressed up to look like a character from the classic UT series. Kind of like the equivalent to a poser model.
It still looks a bit rough, but I guess I should expect that since the game is still early in development and a lot of the visual design still doesn't seem like it has been nailed down yet.
Oh well if that's all it was no big deal. The poster you quoted tho was kind of going into stereotype territory, almost like guys like Shemar Moore or Lance Reddick don't exist.

Orayn

Yeah and I also imagine licensing fees with the both of them would still deter certain developers who can't cover those costs.

I have absolutely zero programming skills but this is the first program I can think of that's both free and very powerful for 3D rendering which could be a boon for film animators and reference models.

Still, the situation is a lot better than I initially thought. Several thousands dollars in the worst case scenario as opposed to a mandatory 6+ figure sum.

I think that leaves quite a bit of room for a medium-budget revival if gods and devs be willing.

Excellent news and thread.

I'm a senior Java developer (for about 12 years now) and, despite having worked on major commercial projects, my dream was always to create games. So I think now's the time to do it.

I was studying Unity because I want to start with very small games. It's so good to see actual developers posting here about both engines. It gives a lot of insight (and hope). Having absolutely no artistic skills, I'll focus solely on the programming aspect of the games.

No I meant for developers. This would cut down on costs on their end and maybe bring budgets down-to-Earth.

Which won't happen because the publishers will likely use the freed-up cash to put into marketing or hiring more Hollywood actors for VA.

Please tell me that you are joking - even if studio had 100 licenses that would be 2k USD savings per month. Might be enough for free soda for employees.

Still, the situation is a lot better than I initially thought. Several thousands dollars in the worst case scenario as opposed to a mandatory 6+ figure sum.

I think that leaves quite a bit of room for a medium-budget revival if gods and devs be willing.
Absolutely. I might have reason to get genuinely hyped about this console gen again if the mid-tier flourishes thanks to this breakthrough.

Please tell me that you are joking - even if studio had 100 licenses that would be 2k USD savings per month. Might be enough for free soda for employees.
I was under the impression UE4 was kind of costly, but still cheaper than building your own engine from scratch. Of course it's not that simple; it must still have costed a decent amount (not to mention the manpower and manufacturer tools that aren't easily accessible) otherwise SF5 would've had no issues getting developed sooner for example.

The thing is, it's free now besides the royalties, but those are structured in a way where they only get the royalties if the sales come through and for most devs they'll make enough initial profits to clear the royalties without it taking a big chunk out of their profits. Before all of this, who knows.

Durante

If its taken you 15 years to learn C++ you are doing it all wrong lol.
I've spent 15 years using C++, and 5 years professionally working on a C++ compiler (written in C++), and I still discover new things about it.

I was making a joke about the complexity and nuances of the language.

Orayn

Absolutely. I might have reason to get genuinely hyped about this console gen again if the mid-tier flourishes thanks to this breakthrough.

I was under the impression UE4 was kind of costly, but still cheaper than building your own engine from scratch. Of course it's not that simple; it must still have costed a decent amount (not to mention the manpower and manufacturer tools that aren't easily accessible) otherwise SF5 would've had no issues getting developed sooner for example.

SF5 had issues getting funded because Capcom's not in a super great place financially and development would still take a lot of person-hours to accomplish. It's more of a strategic thing and I don't think engine costs weighed in that heavily because Capcom is almost certainly using a full license.

Downloaded the new version, and got sidetracked by the Unreal Tournament thing. That game is a lot further ahead than I would have thought.

SF5 had issues getting funded because Capcom's not in a super great place financially and development would still take a lot of person-hours to accomplish. It's more of a strategic thing and I don't think engine costs weighed in that heavily because Capcom is almost certainly using a full license.
This is the most logical reason. I thought as much from the moment people started wondering why it wasn't going to XBO; it's not like the RotTR situation but lots of people continue saying it's like so.

Epic covering $30 worth of assets per subscriber from the store, as well as refunding everyone's $19 subscription fee for the last month? :eek:

This is so amazing for indies, and just in time for VR hitting the mainstream, too.

Mr. X

The economics behind it is that more users will use it free than when subscription based so the royalties alone will earn more than the old way. Imagine if some new IP blows up that use UE4.

Depends on what you want to do, but generally it's fine for entry in anything. At this point, UE4 is flooded with video tutorials and ready made templates to just get something running immediately and can pick apart as you want.
Is it wrong I want a mobile game like Swing Ninja?
Also, Flappy Bird template ha ha.

Orayn

This is great. I did the Project Spark tutorials, should I give this a download?

Blueprint is quite a bit more complex (and powerful) than Project Spark, but I think they share some of the same principles, ie connecting visual icons to each other to form rules and define how different things in-game relate to each other.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Great news for modders. I don't see the big hoopla otherwise, though.

If its taken you 15 years to learn C++ you are doing it all wrong lol.
Five years get you a basic level of familiarity with the language, ergo the requirements for 5+ years of experience on most serious positions.
Ten years of experience get you to a seniority.
Fifteen years get to a 'fuck this language, I'm going lisp'.

a916

Epic covering $30 worth of assets per subscriber from the store, as well as refunding everyone's $19 subscription fee for the last month? :eek:

This is so amazing for indies, and just in time for VR hitting the mainstream, too.

Wait, is that last part true? I can't find it anywhere...

FFS... I just paid $20 to upgrade my engine on Saturday.

You will get a refund, just check your e-mail associated with your UE4 license:

Epic said:
If you have paid for a subscription on or after January 30th, you will receive a pro-rated refund for your latest month's payment after March 12th. You'll continue to receive all future updates for free.

And, because you were a paying subscriber, we're also giving you a gift of $30 that you can spend in the Marketplace now or save for a future use.

Top Bottom