• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

USA National Wrestling Team banned from 2017 World Cup in Iran

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

I can only imagine spending a year of your life training for this meet, then watching the news coverage of Trump's EO like

post-65857-bart-and-lisa-screaming-gif-im-fo5W.gif

Not to mention all that sponsorship money

RMI

Banned
I think I disagree; the idea of Iran responding with a ban of their own was met with shrugs by many because "who was going to go there anyway? No loss."

Anything that draws attention to the fact that cutting the US off from these other countries does have reach into mundane matters is good IMO.

You're right, I've just always had an idealized desire for international sports to be an apolitical means to build stronger relationships between us as people, but sadly reality isn't ready that. It sucks.

blackseedboy

Neo Member
How could anyone say "this is fair" about all this is beyond my comprehension...

First, let me say I'm from italy and I cant give a rat's ass about Trump

With that being said, let me add that sport is one thing, politics another.. Imho is stupid for a nation, whatever that nation is, to put a ban on SPORTSMEN making them pay for something they are not responsible...

Sport is supposed to unite, not divide...

phaonaut

How could anyone say "this is fair" about all this is beyond my comprehension...

With that being said, let me add that sport is one thing, politics another.. Imho is stupid for a nation, whatever that nation is, to put a ban on SPORTSMEN making them pay for something they are not responsible...

Sports and politics are always entwined on an international level.

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
Or or maybe they are just rightfully upset that the US is banning their citizens for no good reason and reciprocated in kind. Though that's definitely a good Trumpish response. He should go with that.
I think it's more a response to them being put on notice and them anticipating the sanctions that were announced today

Why would they be upset with us banning their citizens when we don't have formal relations with them?

FDC1

Do we have the reaction of the international wrestling federation? I doubt unilateraly banning a qualified team like that is allowed, Iran team could have big sanctions

slit

It's a game or competition and the situation at hand is more important than that. It's not specifically about Iran but to say sportsmanship should be placed above all is laughable especially considering we have people that are being denied medical treatments and reuniting with family members.

And it should. As a long time wrestler who wrestled D1 in college, I know how much work these wrestlers put into this sport. The hours upon weeks of nonstop physical work, mental hurdles and emotional stress is intense at all times. Ever worked out hard for four hours? Try doing so while dieting. I've heard, and experienced, my fair share of horror stories when it comes to weight cutting. Didn't eat for four days straight to make weight when in high school once. This is a disservice to those athletes that represent both the US and Iran.

At the same time, this also is the kinds of steps necessary for countries to make a stand. They aren't always the cleanest, or even the right choice. But at this point, this was Iran's only choice of protest for the people. If the shoe was on the other foot, the athletes of any sport would be currently banned here.

Sport is made to unite, but Trump and his administration has put an emphasis on dividing on all levels.

NH Apache

Banned
To work your whole life for a chance to rule your class at the world level and have the rug taken out underneath you. That sucks.

I feel so bad for the team.

United World Wrestling statement:

https://unitedworldwrestling.org/ar...estling-statement-on-2017-freestyle-world-cup

Corsier-sur-Vevey (January 31) – United World Wrestling is committed to offering the world's best wrestlers the opportunity to compete in topnotch tournaments around the world, and the Freestyle World Cup in Kermanshah, Iran is one of those premier global events.

While we have no insight into the political differences between the United State and Iran, the cooperation between their federations has become the gold standard for our sport. Wrestlers from these nations have always displayed the highest levels of sportsmanship and their heartfelt interactions captured in photos have become synonymous with wrestling's ability to transcend politics.

Both national federations have expressed their interest to see the United States compete at the Freestyle World Cup. We feel privileged to know that wrestling so often encourages this type of international cooperation and are hopeful that the Iranian Foreign Ministry will be able to confirm the participation of the United States at the World Cup.

”As it was during the worldwide effort to see wrestling reinstated on the Olympic programme, our sport's strength comes directly from the passion and dedication of our athletes and fans," said United World Wrestling President Nenad Lalovic. ”We thank them for their ongoing support of United World Wrestling and our national federations."

Hopefully, this can get worked out.

Edit:

Note that this statement is from Jan 31. They saw the writing on the wall.

Edit2: The team was scheduled to fly there on February 8th.

Al-ibn Kermit

Trump already banned Iranian (and Syrian, Iraqi, etc) athletes from any US games. I'm not seeing the injustice in making it a reciprocal agreement.

Spuck-uk

Banned
The ME's fascination with wrestling is one of the weirder things I picked up on during my time living there. In Qatar you would find literally crowds of men huddled around the TV watching the 24/7 wwe chanel.

Oh and fuck Trump.

There's a history of wrestling in the region that goes back thousands of years.

rjinaz

Schattenjäger;229646087 said:
I think it's more a response to them being put on notice and them anticipating the sanctions that were announced today

Why would they be upset with us banning their citizens when we don't have formal relations with them?

Do you seriously think Trump of all people wouldn't react if countries just started banning US citizens saying, well there are so many gun deaths done by Americans, we feel safer if we ban them? He would lose his mind.

Of course Iran is upset? It's disrepsectful to the entire country and the people that live there. Not too mention an attack on a religion the majority there share. Is that a serious question?

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
Do you seriously think Trump of all people wouldn't react if countries just started banning US citizens saying, well there are so many gun deaths done by Americans, we feel safer if we ban them? He would lose his mind.

Of course Iran is upset? It's disrepsectful to the entire country and the people that live there. Not too mention an attack on a religion the majority there share. Is that a serious question?
Trump can care less about Iran banning our citizens

And I don't think Iran cares either - there's no Iranian embassy in America
They are most upset with the repercussions regarding the ballistic missle
This is just noise to them

robo

I would go the other way if I was Iran and be the bigger man.

Show Trump what a prick he is and let the team compete.

If Trump bans them from going its on him then.

No fuss no threats, from Iran, just let them do what they want to do and celebrate the sport that the contry loves.

No Political shizzle, but the world will notice who is trying to dick who and maybe get them defending Iran,which will get right under his skin and irate the fuck out of him.

Uh Trump banned Iran citizens from entry into the US that includes wait for it...Iran athletes.

It's completely fair, and the argument that sports should be above politics but not children from these countries being denied medical service or families being separated is the most trash argument ever absolute trash and really shouldn't be worth entertaining.

Disagree with the ban, but why make a statement like this? Iran is well known for state sponsored terrorism.
As is Saudia Arabia, much more so (guess where to money flowing to Al Quaida and ISIS comes from), yet it didn't make the ban list. As far as I remember Saudi citizens (Osama Bin Laden was one too, BTW) also carried out several terror attacks on American soil in the last 20 years, so your argument is meaningless I am afraid.

Iran has every right to deny American citizens entry to their country in response to the travel ban, even if it affects sportlers. Especially because the tournament will happen in the time the ban is active (assuming that Trump won't extend it, which we know he will) If anything it sends the right message towards America even if just as a symbolic gesture.

blackseedboy

Neo Member

No fuss no threats, from Iran, just let them do what they want to do and celebrate the sport that the contry loves.

No Political shizzle, but the world will notice who is trying to dick who and maybe get them defending Iran,which will get right under his skin and irate the fuck out of him.

This.

If Trump is a prick, let him notice the good way.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to

See, this type of logic would work IF Trump showed any type of signs of being able to learn, grow, and recognize when he's made mistakes. Perhaps even correct them.

Trump can't/won't do any of those things. So taking the "better man" approach against Trump is a meaningless gesture that actually reinforces Trump's belief that he can do whatever to whomever he wants w/o being questioned or retaliated against.

This doesn't work because Trump is a wholly ignorant man. Do nothing and expect him to notice? Yeahhh he won't.

Krayz

"Iran is scared their team will lose to ours"

Wouldn't be surprised if trump tweets out something within those lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom