• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

vg247-PS4: new kits shipping now, AMD A10 used as base, final version next summer

stryke

Don't think Sony would be that much upset if MS lost Bayo too. They are fully aware Nintendo is funding the project, so I don't think there's any agro in this regard.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
They never had 2 teams before, there is no way there won't be an Uncharted 4 on the PS4.

Had they stuck to being a one team studio then I'd agree that they'd probably leave it alone.

They never owned the IP

Wasn't someone from ND in here a while back saying they don't have two teams? They just ramp up one team and have additional people working in parallel on other things - but not a full team? So eg now last of us is nearly done, some of the team can move off to start up new things

Sid

Don't think Sony would be that much upset if MS lost Bayo too. They are fully aware Nintendo is funding the project, so I don't think there's any agro in this regard.
I think it's more about the PS3 not getting a version than MS losing anything.

Mario007

->Publishers not developers,I included platinum in it just because Bayonetta 2 seems like a major reason for sony to get upset about considering the first one sold over a million on the ps3.

->Sony needed MH for vita and capcom was teasing it since it's reveal,then suddenly nintendo happened.

->Shitty treatment of COD vita hence the strain in relationship,

These relations aren't finished by a long shot though.
I thought you meant that publishers were pissed at Sony but I see you meant it the other way around. I can see what you mean now, and I would agree Sony has a right to be pissed at some of these.

Having said that Sony has an excellent relationship with EA, Ubi, Namco, Tecmo, Square Enix (Japan), Irrational, Rockstar, Valve so they are fine in that regard.

There might be some friction with Bethesda over Skyrim still and Gearbox because Pitchford basically told Sony to pay him for the development of Borderlands 2 on Vita.

Mario007

Wasn't someone from ND in here a while back saying they don't have two teams? They just ramp up one team and have additional people working in parallel on other things - but not a full team? So eg now last of us is nearly done, some of the team can move off to start up new things
No it was ND saying that there is no U2 team and U3 team. They're all U2 team, as they split after U2. It was basically ND's way of saying there is no A and B team.

Sid

I thought you meant that publishers were pissed at Sony but I see you meant it the other way around. I can see what you mean now, and I would agree Sony has a right to be pissed at some of these.

Having said that Sony has an excellent relationship with EA, Ubi, Namco, Tecmo, Square Enix (Japan), Irrational, Rockstar, Valve so they are fine in that regard.

There might be some friction with Bethesda over Skyrim still and Gearbox because Pitchford basically told Sony to pay him for the development of Borderlands 2 on Vita.
In the case of Skyrim Bethesda admitted they did a poor porting job so I think that's fine whereas gearbox were trying to take advantage of sony to get them to fund it so there could be some stress there.

jaosobno

Both systems are going to be very similar with some differences - much like the current PS3 and 360. The plus side for Sony is this time they got a lot of input from third parties on the design so hopefully the development issues they had/have with PS3 are eliminated in the next system.

Agreed. These two machiens have fundamentally different approaches to rendering. It's quite a beautiful thing.

If you ask me this is the best possible turn of events. PS4 and X720 may seem different on paper, but according to all reliable sources, will be consoles of equal technical capabilities.

While Sony and Microsoft are taking different approach in creating/modifying hardware the end result - IQ and overall performance in games should be identical.

So the real next gen battle will obviously not be waged on the field of what hardware can do, but on the field of services - PSN(+), Live (Gold) and exclusive offerings Sony and Microsoft will have. And I find that this is best possible thing that can happen.

Ramblin

Banned
If you ask me this is the best possible turn of events. PS4 and X720 may seem different on paper, but according to all reliable sources, will be consoles of equal technical capabilities.

While Sony and Microsoft are taking different approach in creating/modifying hardware the end result - IQ and overall performance in games should be identical.

So the real next gen battle will obviously not be waged on the field of what hardware can do, but on the field of services - PSN(+), Live (Gold) and exclusive offerings Sony and Microsoft will have. And I find that this is best possible thing that can happen.

Isn't that what happened this generation?

jaosobno

Isn't that what happened this generation?

I was referring to the possibility of someone, Microsoft or Sony, designing significantly weaker console ("the WiiU road" ) than their competitor.

I remember reading rumors these past few months saying how developers don't have confidence in Sony's hardware, that Durango was significantly stronger, etc.

And then Internet doomsayers joined in on the fun proclaiming that, no way in hell Sony is building decent hardware because of their financial troubles.

I'm very happy that these latest rumors have shown that none of that was true and that Sony and Microsoft will go toe to toe in next gen.

@Jeff, U are not following we already discuss about NOC,
I already many times posted the linkedin of Eric, plus his link also his MAster Inventor Friends, Most of Master inventor worked at MS

NOC IP can be Any CPU

Also remember Eric Mejdrich Ray tracing patent

Parallelized Ray Tracing
http://www.google.com/patents/US20110285710

Ray tracing image processing system
http://www.google.com/patents/US8139060

BTE = Basic Troughput Engine = 1 Core have 4 Thread
patents

BTE in Module of 4 , so it can be per 4 module or 8 module
patents

VTE = Vector Troughput engine
patents

VTE Scalable
patents

Xbox next : MCM = BTE(edram) + GPU + 1.5GB-2GB GDDR5 Vram
Xbox next = MCM <--> VTE <--> 5GB DDR3/DDR4
Xbox next = FULL HSA (Software + hardware + Scalability) , PS4 not full HSA, Xbox next gpu code name = "80" = not in standard AMD GPU roadmap = Future Gen = Heavy RD (IBM+AMD+MS)

ex Master Inventor IBM , Now Since 2010-2011 Working for MS

Bkilian (I think he know more about it, VTE ???, but his info probably outdated about the flop, beside the customization, or he just trying to playing with words, assuming as above per GPU = 2 Core per die, non cross fired based, then he is right 1.2 just for 1 GPU ID, per MCM= 2 GPU core)
I wasn't ready or you didn't present it in a manor that caught my attention. You keep saying the Xbox3 will be a super computer with features that will blow the PS4 away but if it's custom Microsoft and only in the Xbox3 then it does AMD no good (Advertising wise) and porting from PC or PS4 to Xbox3 will be as difficult as porting to PS3 from Xbox 360 was last generation. This is why you turn me off. The information you have uncovered combined with what I have uncovered has to be related because AMD is the common connection.

The issues we have been discussing; features in AMD 2014 GPUs (9000 series) or rather likely in the SoC, that are needed but not in 8000 series GPUs or SoCs for full HSA, Context switching, Graphics pre-emption and more have to be provided if both consoles are using older GPUs and SoCs/APUs.

My guess is that both Microsoft and Sony want/need the 2014 AMD features including full HSA that are coming with 2014 AMD designs but those designs are at 20nm and it's too risky as an unknown to use a new node so they use current AMD GCN GPU and Jaguar CPU @ 28nm and port the Intellectual Property that makes the 2014 designs what they are down from 20nm to 28nm. Microsoft if Charlie's OBAN article is correct is taking 7000 series GPUs and doing the same.

The above is being misunderstood. Most of the patents I cited which you did bring up first are about how to implement Software taking advantage of NOC hardware and QOS software that Microsoft needs to implement in their operating system. These features (HSA Foundation) are going to make their way into other HSA member hardware. We are finally seeing hints, I think, of some of the other hardware in 2014 AMD SoCs that make Full HSA possible.

Edit: APU + GPU is no longer necessary if NOC designs are used in the PS4 to provide Context switching and Graphics pre-emption.

Really really good finds:

Also remember Eric Mejdrich Ray tracing patent

Parallelized Ray Tracing
http://www.google.com/patents/US20110285710

Ray tracing image processing system
http://www.google.com/patents/US8139060

Notice one of them has a PS3 controller. This should be discussed further as one of the patent drawings is about how Vector Rays are used with next generation head mounted glasses and camera by Sony, Microsoft and Google.

This is exciting in and of it'self and I'm much more enthusiastic about both next generation consoles and what they can do. They will be as bkillian said able to do more than PCs at least in the short term for AMD PCs with Intel relegated to only business PCs.

I was referring to the possibility of someone, Microsoft or Sony, designing significantly weaker console ("the WiiU road" ) than their competitor.

I remember reading rumors these past few months saying how developers don't have confidence in Sony's hardware, that Durango was significantly stronger, etc.

And then Internet doomsayers joined in on the fun proclaiming that, no way in hell Sony is building decent hardware because of their financial troubles.

I'm very happy that these latest rumors have shown that none of that was true and that Sony and Microsoft will go toe to toe in next gen.

I don't think either of them could possibly do that. They need each other.

That is unless one of them had something wildly innovative that would allow them to differentiate themselves and sustain support completely independent of the other (like the Wii phenomenon this generation).

If any of the two could do that it would be Sony (and even that would be a stretch). Microsoft just doesn't have the 1st part support that Nintendo or Sony have.

I wish I could understand those posts.
Look at the pictures at the bottom of this patent: http://www.google.com/patents/US20110285710

In the following chart we are at 2013 with partial HSA 8000 series GPUs. There are several features we need that are in 2014 SoC/GPUs but 2014 GPUs are being made at 20nm and that is too new a process with unknowns for a Console launch. So Sony takes a 2013 8000 GPU and jaguar CPU @ 28nm and ports the HSA stuff from 2014 designs at 20nm to 28 nm.

index.php

Anyway that's my take.

I don't think SCE is really upset over Bayonetta. After all they didn't do anything to secure the sequel.

In all honestly, Bayonetta is a really small IP.
Look at the pictures at the bottom of this patent: http://www.google.com/patents/US20110285710

In the following chart we are at 2013 with partial HSA 8000 series GPUs. There are several features we need that are in 2014 SoC/GPUs but 2014 GPUs are being made at 20nm and that is too new a process with unknowns for a Console launch. So Sony takes a 2013 8000 GPU and jaguar CPU @ 28nm and ports the HSA stuff from 2014 designs at 20nm to 28 nm.

index.php

Anyway that's my take.

If MS has nothing exclusive towards its platform that allows it to have less theoretical FLOPs potential, but perform at the same level of the PS4 specs, because AMD doesn't want the Xbox to have a leg on the PS4, then what was the point of MS working with them for so long?

Is MS really so worried with cost saving that they are gonna let the PS4 simply have more power even though they are releasing at the same time?

deanos

Banned

index.php

Anyway that's my take.
didnt sony filed a patent for context switching between GPUs in december? i think they did.

edit: yep.
http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2012/12...-context-switching-between-gpus-hints-at-ps4/

In all honestly, Bayonetta is a really small IP.

If MS has nothing exclusive towards its platform that allows it to have less theoretical FLOPs potential, but perform at the same level of the PS4 specs, because AMD doesn't want the Xbox to have a leg on the PS4, then what was the point of MS working with them for so long?

Is MS really so worried with cost saving that they are gonna let the PS4 simply have more power even though they are releasing at the same time?
The effort to provide the tools to take advantage of the common hardware elements is part of the differentiation and Microsoft can have some other "secret sauce" that the PS4 doesn't have. It can't be too much different or we will have in the Xbox 3 a "PS3" situation where porting to the Xbox 3 is harder and PC to PS4 easier....

The effort to provide the tools to take advantage of the common hardware elements is part of the differentiation and Microsoft can have some other "secret sauce" that the PS4 doesn't have. It can't be too much different or we will have in the Xbox 3 a "PS3" situation where porting to the Xbox 3 is harder and PC to PS4 easier....

Durango is starting to feel very anti climatic.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
This is what I was talking about in the other thread. I think this patent is the best indication of what Sony is trying to do. Two GPUs is wild, and in that patent it says spare power can be utilized in ways other than the OP features.

I wonder if they're going to have a separate RAM solution for the OS as well.

i-Lo

Don't get caught up in every post, either bad OR good when systems come out. There is More than just fast memory and tools going into these.

Surprising of how all the RAM talk has pretty much obscured discussions about the GPU.

oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh that'd be great... leave 4GDDR5 alone (for purely game development).

THE:MILKMAN

Durango is starting to feel very anti climatic.

From the specs we know, I don't. One thing I will say though is the Durango does sound nearer the complexity of PS2/PS3 with it's eSRAM/eDRAM, Audio DSP, other secret sauce....

From what we have heard of Orbis it seems more like a 360 in it's simplicity. Though that is probably because the other things haven't leaked yet.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
But isn't that primarily because of how it was designed around a touch screen interface?

Yes, but for PS4 I think they're going to follow the MS line of "clustered together" type design. They already did that somewhat with the new PS Store.

From the specs we know, I don't. One thing I will say though is the Durango does sound nearer the complexity of PS2/PS3 with it's eSRAM/eDRAM, Audio DSP, other secret sauce....

From what we have heard of Orbis it seems more like a 360 in it's simplicity. Though that is probably because the other things haven't leaked yet.

That's the impression I have as well... which might not be good for MS if their machine requires more complex coding. It certainly didn't help Sony and the PS3.

Karak

Surprising of how all the RAM talk has pretty much obscured discussions about the GPU.

Which will be obscured by the next rumor and the next and the next:)
PS2 for sure. MS tools will need to be up to their normal stellar level right away.

I agree. Durango seems a little more interesting to me cause it's odd.

PS4 just seems straightforward and powerful, basically a video card on a stick, but a little boring.

Proelite

Rampant speculation IMO.

That's the impression I have as well... which might not be good for MS if their machine requires more complex coding. It certainly didn't help Sony and the PS3.

I dont think it will. Certainly nothing near the level of Cell/PS3.

An audio DSP you'd think is pretty transparent, and so is the ES/DRAM stuff AFAIK. 360 had EDRAM and it was supposed to be much easier to work with than PS3. You probably didn't need to worry about bandwidth as much on 360 because of it, so it made things actually simpler (but not being a programmer I dont know).

I dont know the other supposed custom hardware, and it may not be anything big even, so it's hard to comment there.

Main other thing is the tools/dev environment, which supposedly MS always has a big advantage in.

Karak

I dont think it will. Certainly nothing near the level of Cell/PS3.

An audio DSP you'd think is pretty transparent, and so is the ES/DRAM stuff AFAIK. 360 had EDRAM and it was supposed to be much easier to work with than PS3. You probably didn't need to worry about bandwidth as much on 360 because of it, so it made things actually simpler (but not being a programmer I dont know).

I dont know the other supposed custom hardware, and it may not be anything big even, so it's hard to comment there.

Main other thing is the tools/dev environment, which supposedly MS always has a big advantage in.

Oddly one thing that interests me is many cores with full HSA and just overall what that means with the perceived extra level of accessibility. Both pro's and con's.

Proelite

That's the worry. I guess if anyone can make it work it's the software experts.

Do you think both will end up being simpler than the specs suggest?

That the consoles require complex coding.

And yes the "secre sauce" adds substantial performance for basically free. It's not fragrant able fpgas.

aegies

That the consoles require complex coding.

And yes the "secre sauce" adds substantial performance for basically free. It's not fragrant able fpgas.

The PS3 and 360 were both considerably more difficult to program for than PCs when they released. The PS3 was just more difficult, and you can argue about why that is for as long as you want to, but there's a pretty solid body of historical evidence for it. What I know now of Durango leads me to believe that Microsoft will need to provide better tools than they ever have for developers to get what they want out of it, though I don't think there are as many hard barriers to accessing resources as the PS3 seemed to present. Orbis does seem more straightforward, which is honestly the right move for Sony, I think.

The thread I'm talking about featured an image of the system schematic. My memory is a little fuzzy, but I remember two distinct RAM pools for each GPU. It was a unique solution because the weaker GPU is obviously for something else other than game development.

If someone could post that image it would spark interesting discussions because I feel like the only discussion that seems to be on point is the discussion of 4gb of GDDR5. I don't think we are discussing the possibility of dual GPUs in the PS4 enough.

What the hell happened? A week ago it felt like we know nothing about the PS4, but now everyone has some insider information lol

The information I'm posting is from weeks ago and was a filed patent by Sony. I'm not just making this stuff up. However, I will say that the purpose of the patent is unknown. It could be for a computer, a TV, or the PS4. Considering it was filed before CES means it might be for the 4K TV they showed off during the presentation. Someone might uncover a comment that confirms this.

I'm speculating that its PS4 architecture until confirmation proves otherwise. Admittedly, I'm going on a hunch, but the schematic looked far too complex to be a high end laptop or TV. With that said, the only valid argument against my belief is that the schematic is for the new 4K TV because it seems to feature a Microsoft OS.

M.D

What the hell happened? A week ago it felt like we know nothing about the PS4, but now everyone has some insider information lol

Top Bottom