• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video Game fan art -- when it's better than the official thing

kuYuri

Blueblur1 said:
I forgot this one. I wish I knew who the artist is.

MCsamuskz.jpg

And know you shall!

http://udoncrew.deviantart.com/art/Gamepro-Cover-Shooters-46342345

Line Art: Eric Vedder
Paints: Roberto Campus

tabsina

not nearly as great as the other stuff on here, but i may as well pimp my own stuff (i'm no artist)
made in 3ds max with the intention of making a cellshaded version of each
goomba_and_bom_omb_by_tabsina.jpg

and here is what it turned out like rendered with cellshading ( without shading :| ) from another angle
goomba_and_bob_omb_cell_front_by_tabsina.jpg

currently working on a bullet bill .. but having trouble making the hands in 3dsmax (I have very little experience with the software as you can probably tell).. but what i've done so far is on my deviantart page if anyone cares

colinp

Banned
MightyKAC said:
This ones my favorite from the PDS Shine....

orta_and_the_dragon_03.jpg

!!! I made that wallpaper! Ahahhahaha, it's just a photo background (found online) and the picture of Orta superimposed on top. I combined the two in photoshop, played with the lighting of Orta to make it match the background, and then applied that texture to make it all fit together a bit better. Wow, blast from the past. Glad you like it =)

Oh I added some blur too, partly to make it not look pasted on and partly to give it movement. I guess I was pretty clever back then. Remember when 1024x768 was a common wallpaper format?

edit: Just so we're clear I had absolutely nothing to do with 1) the creation of the background or 2) the Orta art. That's official Orta art, and just some random landscape photo I found. I just combined the two =)

I probably posted that to IGN or something. Amazed it found life after that. Those internets have a funny way of surprising ya!

edit 2: you can see the bottom of the tail looks a bit odd compared with the rest. I think I might have had to elongate it manually to make it fit the frame best, which is why it looks kind of off. I dunno, maybe I should find the official art I took it from and compare. Too funny.

edit 3: wow, it's even attributed to me at The Will of the Ancients, linking to my old college e-mail address! Maybe I did submit it, jeez I don't remember.

Okay, sorry to hijack this thread.... was gonna make a separate topic, but figured that with GDC being the hot topic and all, it would be best to wait, yet this topic has still thrived! So I'll just mention real quick:

Some of you might be familiar with Life Meter Comics I hope. It's actually been on the down-low for some time now, at least the website has, and I've recently been brought aboard to help bring the blog back to form! So basically, we're looking for awesome fan art... like many of the things featured here... to share with the outside world. There is a natural preference for comics, but super nice illustrations will more than do!

Azure J

psy18 said:
Awesome. So much details. Peach, Snake, Samus (hadoken? & :lol metroid pet).

I am now fully convinced that if the next Smash doesn't have a style like this, it will be a failure artistically. Wow, it looks like something out of a *good* comic or manga! Saved. :lol

Syril

HK-47 said:

Lucario, use Tenma Gou Zankuu!
Wolf, what's the scouter say about his power level?

Where are King Dedede and Roy's poses from? I swear I've seen them before.

I like Marth as Prince Peasley.

This is an awesome thread. I guess I'll use this to post a piece of work I drew a few months back. It's by no means better than any official art, but I'm proud of it:
1zly60x.png

This one I did not make, but it's awesome:
k21r0h.jpg

neoism

mono1.jpg

Could someone tell me how to make this picture big enough for a 24x32 frame! I'm OK at Photoshop, but I'm not so good at making pics better without distorting the pic! Also, could someone also tell me a good internet poster site!??
Hope you don't mind sammy!

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
There is *tons* of Smash Bros fanart out there these days...

...and I love it!

HK-47 said:

This pic has made me go and search DA for a nice wide piece of Starfox art for my background. You are to blame for the harm that is caused to my brain by the millions of skimpy Krystal pictures.

neoism said:
mono1.jpg

Could someone tell me how to make this picture big enough for a 24x32 frame! I'm OK at Photoshop, but I'm not so good at making pics better without distorting the pic! Also, could someone also tell me a good internet poster site!??
Hope you don't mind sammy!

Holy...

Wow, that is amazing.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Holy fuck there are some infinitely skilled people.

Ther are too many pics to comment on...but the Jak (standing tall) and Daxter pic, an array of Samus pics, Megaman pic, the Halo-Samus-Helghast trio pic are standouts, and thats just from this page.

Great thread.

Sins*

Neo Member
oh god this thread is sooo sexy, i've look at each one and wow. makes me sad that i'm so talentless :lol

CTLance

Just to pull down the level again, and because I stumbled over this due to my Dawn of War 2 infatuation. Again.
2mqk9x0.jpg

This is so utterly insane and a polar opposite to all the "OMGz DARK" stuff happening in that universe, it makes me chuckle each and every time I see it. World needs more insanity like this.

Or non-sequitur crossovers. (drawn by "eyes"?)

On topic of fun things: Stalfos Skeletons with funny hats.
adjgnc.jpg

by Ryan Stegman. Yes, surprise, for a change I have a properly tagged image.

More Zelda stuff.
122c76p.jpg

by ColdFlame1987?. Or the guy in the lower right corner. Who knows.

swb9xl.jpg

Zeldas face looks a bit off, methinks.

I feel like I should namedrop this forums stealthy videogame(r?) fanart artist: junkwaffle. How ya doing, guy?
jqmgyu.jpg

Carry on, then.

Top Bottom