• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We Need to Talk About Digital Blackface in Reaction GIFs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izuna

Banned
This guy seems very ignorant. Are these two people actually friends?
Weird.

I have a Japanese American friend who has lots of stories about White guys saying creepy shit about Japan or belittling her for not being Japanese enough because she doesn't watch enough anime or some shit. If I showed her that imgur collection, she'd be pissed.

They're besties.

edit: http://i.imgur.com/ab6Fmii.jpg

It's actually Yours truly but it wasn't a serious conversation. I sent like 30 GIFs of Paruru to wind her up and that conversation happened.

In fact, I think vast majority of Japanese women I've met hate tf out of idol culture, and either tolerate or hate anime.

~~

It is weird and without proper context, but yes, it's just as horrible when it's done with gifs of asian people too. Especially when it's done exclusively.

Sunster

Which part? The bantz or the overuse of paruru gifs?

--

On-topic, however. I've seen many people use black versions of Emoji seemingly whenever they can and it's especially for the reason mentioned in this article. It's going to be hard to tell kids and teens to stop and think about what they're doing though.

Reaction gifs are easy to use memes, I can't see any of this changing.

the whole thing is cringe but it gets to full on grody behavior when the person is insisting Japanese people are otakus. idk if they are friends or that was joking but I imagine that kind of thing happens to many a Japanese woman when meeting people online.

edit: read above post and I guess I misread it because of the context of the thread in my mind?

L3iPWP0.gif

http://imgur.com/a/SdQjW
lol What the fuck did I even just read?

Media

Thanks haha

You disappoint me. I was about to ask you for a crash course (or at least some small phrases)

I'm not jighaan enough.

(It can also be a good word LMAO, more like "traditional" or "true")

I did not know that phrases like Getting rolled, umbers, eiiiii and pee-pee hearted, or going to comfort inn, and hito were New Mexico specific until I left lol
Edit: fun game, tell me what you think those things mean

Izuna

Banned
the whole thing is cringe but it gets to full on grody behavior when the person is insisting Japanese people are otakus. idk if they are friends or that was joking but I imagine that kind of thing happens to many a Japanese woman when meeting people online.

It's exactly the sort of messages I've seen people send sincerely to her on stuff like Bumble etc. So I can say that it does happen outside of jest.

TSM

Here's another issue. Use words instead of gifs and emojis pls.

You aren't going back far enough in the chain of events with this. Instead of reacting, people should be contemplating and then discussing. The internet has trained everyone to make snap judgments and then go over the top with whatever their first reaction is. The fact that it's often gifs and memes doesn't get to the root of the issue.

Here's another issue. Use words instead of gifs and emojis pls.
You aren't going back far enough in the chain of events with this. Instead of reacting, people should be contemplating and then discussing. The internet has trained everyone to make snap judgments and then go over the top with whatever their first reaction is. The fact that it's often gifs and meme doesn't get to the root of the issue.
source.gif

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
So is this about using a gif with black people in it or pretending to be black online? The latter I could see being an issue.

Also when I saw the thread title I thought it was gonna be about shoop da woop memes.

2MF

This article is conflating two things that have very little to do with each other.

First it talks about the over-representation of black people in gifs. This seems to be reaching a lot for something to complain about... Also goes to show that whether a particular race is over or under represented in a particular domain, there will always be complaints.

The other part regarding people passing themselves as black is a completely different animal... People doing this intentionally are indeed dicks.

Mortemis

Banned
I will say I rolled my eyes initally at the article but on reflection I have noticed there is a pretty common phenomenon of white people LARPing as black people on the internet.

Particulary on Reddit where /r/blackpeopletwitter is basically a den of white people idealizing black culture despite not having the greatest opinion of actual black people.

My little brother used to be on r/blackpeopletwitter, but a while ago he told me he stopped going on there because he found out that most people there were white, and the feeling of the whole place changed when he knew.

Its an interesting discussion but problematic in terms of 'foreigners.'

Hi, I'm from the UK.

So, I need help understanding something, I'm not arguing against anyone but want some kind of understanding of this from the more socially wise on Gaf. I'm not American. I hear all these things from Americans about white Americans appropriating culture about black Americans, something I feel this ties into so, from that perspective, whats the difference of me using these Gifs? I use them because I see these kind of Gifs as rather unique to Americans and your way of acting and speaking rather than distilling it down to black Americans and white Americans. Am I double-appropriating? Am I single appropriating because its 'black Americans' so the larger context of 'Americans' doesn't matter?

Or am I just wading in, confused, into something that is really a discussion between Americans?

As a Brit

I'm not sure what American culture is without Black culture

Vomit on scones?
Yeah, I guess this is part of what I mean. For me its synonymous with American culture but apparently in America is segmented more?

Chuckie

I'm not jighaan enough.

(It can also be a good word LMAO, more like "traditional" or "true")

I did not know that phrases like Getting rolled, umbers, eiiiii and pee-pee hearted, or going to comfort inn, and hito were New Mexico specific until I left lol
Edit: fun game, tell me what you think those things mean

Getting rolled - Your shit gets stolen without you noticing
Umbers - A House in the North, allies of House Stark
eiiiiii - What Fonzie says
pee-pee hearted - Loving golden showers
going to comfort inn - Going to the toilet
Hito - Half a Japanese Emperor.

How did I do?

Media

Its an interesting discussion but problematic in terms of 'foreigners.'

Hi, I'm from the UK.

So, I need help understanding something, I'm not arguing against anyone but want some kind of understanding of this from the more socially wise on Gaf. I'm not American. I hear all these things from Americans about white Americans appropriating culture about black Americans, something I feel this ties into so, from that perspective, whats the difference of me using these Gifs? I use them because I see these kind of Gifs as rather unique to Americans and your way of acting and speaking rather than distilling it down to black Americans and white Americans. Am I double-appropriating? Am I single appropriating because its 'black Americans' so the larger context of 'Americans' doesn't matter?

Or am I just wading in, confused, into something that is really a discussion between Americans?

Yeah, I guess this is part of what I mean. For me its synonymous with American culture but apparently in America is segmented more?

If you read the article, it only sucks if you are using them to mock or playact as black.

Media

Getting rolled - Your shit gets stolen without you noticing
Umbers - A House in the North, allies of House Stark
eiiiiii - What Fonzie says
pee-pee hearted - Loving golden showers
going to comfort inn - Going to the toilet
Hito - Half a Japanese Emperor.

How did I do?

83XufW3.gif

All wrong, close on getting rolled.
Getting rolled: get stupid drunk/drugged and passing out and getting your shit stolen ie I got rolled in the parking lot last night
Umbers: playful 'shame on you'
Eiiii: A playful exclamation of surprise or at the end of a joke to indicate your joking. "OMG, just suck, eeeiiii!"
Pee-pee hearted: coward, or getting scared. Play on yellow hearted. "Don't get all pee-pee hearted, just do it."
Going to comfort inn: Almost racist, getting "Indian drunk" and needing to sleep it off. Used to be more common to say "going to Navajo comfort inn"
Hito: a bastardised spanish word meaning boy child close to your heart. Hita means girl. Makes no sense to people who speak Spanish but aren't from New Mexico.

For everyone offended, just forget you read the article and go about your business. It's not like you'll be forced to think about anything or change. Blacks are the lowest on the totem pole, you don't have to care about us.

Media

But surely a gif is always 'play acting'? Its passing off a reaction is representative of yourself in a moment.

I'm always dubious of people who call something 'dumb' whilst offering barely a sentence.

I guess I was wrong but it's more like pretending to be black, and using black gifs to mock black culture.

2MF

I must have totally read it wrong then.

Here's a quote:

Article said:
If there’s one thing the Internet thrives on, it’s hyperbole and the overrepresentation of black people in GIFing everyone’s daily crises plays up enduring perceptions and stereotypes about black expression.

hotcyder

Just lump it into the same pool as people who fetishise and co-opt black culture despite keeping black people at arms length.

Kinda how I felt when I saw white guys on twitter suddenly turn into minstrels the moment that Marina was announced for Splatoon 2

TTOOLL

I think the article is reaching, frankly, and is borderline ridiculous. Using reaction GIFs doesn't equate to adopting nor presenting a persona, let alone focusing on the race of the people within the GIFs. Typically, they're selected more for entertainment and comedic purposes, then to present an honest recount of a person's exact reaction and/or emotional state to whatever-thing. Unless you think literally thousands of people are attempting to convince the world that Weebay's shock and revelation is somehow a universal truth, common only to the human condition?

Let's get specific. I have a selection of Denzel Washington GIFs in my reaction list. I think we can all agree that Denzel Washington is black. As it so happens, I am not black. Why do I have these specific GIFs of Denzel Washington? Because I think the man is one of the greatest actors of any era, I love basically every film he's ever done, and damn it, I enjoy showing off his range any chance I get. He's iconic, talented, and worth any scrap of praise I can offer. I am not racist, nor am I donning blackface, by using GIFs featuring Denzel Washington. And, frankly, insinuations to contrary get under my skin.

giphy.gif

I agree, it's a non issue, but hey, that's pretty much what the internet is about in 2017.

Majora

This article is conflating two things that have very little to do with each other.

First it talks about the over-representation of black people in gifs. This seems to be reaching a lot for something to complain about... Also goes to show that whether a particular race is over or under represented in a particular domain, there will always be complaints.

The other part regarding people passing themselves as black is a completely different animal... People doing this intentionally are indeed dicks.

This is my take on it as well. People passing themselves off as black on the internet has nothing to do with the over-representation of black people in gifs. I literally don't even understand why the two talking points are in the same article.

As for the gif thing itself, I usually just search for certain emotions that I want to express in a gif and pick the gif that suits the emotion I'm trying to convey best, or which is funniest. I have zero idea what proportion of gifs I use contain black people, it's never even crossed my mind before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom