• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you think is the hardest game ever made?

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
If memory serves I think it was something to do with reactors and countdowns :messenger_tears_of_joy:

It's been too long.

Yeah escaping the alien planet after setting the detonator 😆

The trick is to place the teleporter receiver right outside the entrance to the level, then as soon as you set the bomb you warp yourself right out 🙌🏻

RaduN

Probably Mishihimesama Futari Ultra mode or Dodonpachi Saidaioujou Expert mode (it took the best superplayer in the world 12 years to finally beat the true last boss).

Last edited:
Take your pick:

200.gif

200.gif

dan76

Probably one of Cave's shmups. Futari Ultra or Saidaioujou Expert (EDIT: snap!)
Loads of old arcade games like Defender, Tempest or Robotron. Lasting more than a couple of minutes on those is way beyond the average gamer.

The Akumu difficulty mode from The Evil Within was very tough from what I remember.

Last edited:

killatopak

Rhythm games and bullet hell.

I love them to hell but I always hit a wall at some point. Say something like Project Diva. I can complete every song on max difficulty but I could never do a perfect or even worse some modifiers like vanishing notes, or something.

Same thing with bullet hell. I can never be called an expert on it and do a one coin run.

Some are even physically impossible for me like in osu if the bpms are high enough. Too much key presses.

Fredrik

Fist 2
It’s an adventure fighting game, sequel to The Way of the Exploding Fist.
One life. And way too long for that setup. Super complicated map. Random sized life bars on enemies, can suddenly meet one with twice your life bar size early in the game, and enemies can hit/kick hard. I had to use save state to finish it and if was still difficult.

Ikaruga
It’s more or less impossible. My multi tasking capability is lacking, when color switching becomes too fast I lose track of the rest, or when avoiding bullets becomes too complicated I mess up when switching colors. Proud to have reached the final area though!

Returnal
I know it’s been done but i still don’t understand how anyone could finish that without using any save trick and before the cycle could be paused. Boss fights are too difficult and the permanent upgrades aren’t good enough. For me it made Elden Ring seem like a game for kids. Definitely this generation’s hardest game. I finished it using the cloud save trick, still struggled badly.

salva

TMNT on NES
Although it's been decades since I've played it. I just remember that being messed up. Mostly because of the era of no saves.

Ketsui is the hardest game I regularly play.

I wouldn't say Sekiro is too hard because once you've done it once it's kind of trivial. I struggled with it for years but after finally beating Ishiin I would beat him every night before going to bed. Phenomenal game. I need to play it again.

Pimpbaa

Karateka on the C64 kinda up there for me. Dunno if was just because I had a pirated copy or what, but it’d get to this door where I couldn’t progress. No idea how to open it or get past. One of my greatest enemies from my gaming past is a fucking door!

diffusionx

Gold Member
The top 50 are probably SHMUPS. The rest are Tetris-likes. Sekiro's and Elden Rings of the world might not even crack the Top 500.
I think Dark Souls would have been intermediate difficulty max in the 1990s. Heck From’s games on PSX were much harder and more esoteric.

I chalk up many NES games etc. to bullshittery, padding length and all so games that truly rekt my shit in the past few years have been puzzle games like Talos and The Witness.

I can learn most level layouts, mechanics etc. if I'm willing to dump the time into it. Those games are hard brick walls that have YOU'RE A FUCKING MORON LULZ spray painted on them when you get stuck. And boy did they all make me feel stupid. Never beat a single one.

Also...any online fighting game I've tried makes the frustration of single player games seem fun.

Roberts

It is funny Sekiro and Cuphead has been mentioned a few times here, because these two were the first games I thought of when reading the thread title. Obviously, not the hardest games ever, but two of the games that I really, really wanted to finish, but just don't have the skills. I've tried the last boss in Sekiro for what seems like over 100 times and never got anywhere close to a victory (I will try again at some point) and I think I got stuck on the second island in Cuphead. Beppi The Clown fucks me up every time.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Old-school space shooters are up there. Gradius, Salamander, Abadox are three games I’ve played where a single mistake means you’d just rather restart, as some passages are literally impossible without all the power-ups. Cuphead is NOTHING compared to games like those.

I 100%ed Ghosts ‘n Goblins Resurrection on the hardest difficulty, but I could never beat the original GnG without savestates - and even with those, it’s ridiculously hard. Same for NES Ninja Gaiden.

Even worse than those is NES Mission: Impossible. If you think Souls games are hard and troll you, you’ve seen nothing.

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
God Hand would be up there for me too.

Those fallen enemies that turn into demons always fucked me up.

Don't know how I managed to beat it when I was younger, tried it again not long ago and got destroyed. :goog_relieved:
God's hand will do that to you.

I once pissed on a church and the next 6 months were living hell. Broke my femur, got in a car wreck , lost my best friend,

Don't mess around with God's man.

Hunter 99

Bart vs the space mutants NES
Never got past the first level for years when I was a kid.

Mgs2 on European extreme ps2
Fucking frustrating,got to the spray the bombs to disarm them and gave up.

Dragon’s Lair on NES. Just entering inside the castle from the beginning is an insurmountable task due to the horrible, unresponsive controls and cheap deaths. At least most other difficult games usually had decent or manageable controls.

Last edited:
I remember Chakan on mega drive being an absolute cunt of a game that I never finished. As a kid I clocked ghosts 'n goblins every time.

SkylineRKR

Fist 2
It’s an adventure fighting game, sequel to The Way of the Exploding Fist.
One life. And way too long for that setup. Super complicated map. Random sized life bars on enemies, can suddenly meet one with twice your life bar size early in the game, and enemies can hit/kick hard. I had to use save state to finish it and if was still difficult.

Ikaruga
It’s more or less impossible. My multi tasking capability is lacking, when color switching becomes too fast I lose track of the rest, or when avoiding bullets becomes too complicated I mess up when switching colors. Proud to have reached the final area though!

Returnal
I know it’s been done but i still don’t understand how anyone could finish that without using any save trick and before the cycle could be paused. Boss fights are too difficult and the permanent upgrades aren’t good enough. For me it made Elden Ring seem like a game for kids. Definitely this generation’s hardest game. I finished it using the cloud save trick, still struggled badly.

Returnal isn't that hard imho. You need some good rolls, but your weapon progress persists. Some weapons are OP. And you don't need to clear the entire thing in one run, not before the update either. I beat it before the save state was added. And the times I beat it my loadout wasn't even that good, I've fucked up with better perks. Greed usually got me. Malign statuses will add up, and they will get worse. Just don't take the risk after a while.

Weapons or rather their perks are the most important. You can absolutely shred everything if you have a Dreadbound with the right perks, or a hollowseeker with turret, or a rocket launcher with full auto and replicating hits. If you just take the defensive upgrades, health and have some heals you basically cannot lose.

Scotty W

Banned
I remember several playthroughs of RE Code Veronica, being very careful to conserve as much ammo as possible, using my knife as much as possible, and still being drained down to nothing by the respawning enemies in the second half. Fuck that game.

Fredrik

Returnal isn't that hard imho. You need some good rolls, but your weapon progress persists. Some weapons are OP. And you don't need to clear the entire thing in one run, not before the update either. I beat it before the save state was added. And the times I beat it my loadout wasn't even that good, I've fucked up with better perks. Greed usually got me. Malign statuses will add up, and they will get worse. Just don't take the risk after a while.

Weapons or rather their perks are the most important. You can absolutely shred everything if you have a Dreadbound with the right perks, or a hollowseeker with turret, or a rocket launcher with full auto and replicating hits. If you just take the defensive upgrades, health and have some heals you basically cannot lose.
For me it’s extremely difficult, and probably the most frustrating modern game I’ve played since it takes so long before you get to do another attempt at a difficult boss fight.
In comparison I have no problem beating Malenia in Elden Ring which many seemed to struggle with. If you die there you start nearby, can just try again and slowly analyze attack patterns and work out a strategy. In Returnal you get some shortcuts but you still have to play a big chunk of a new map before you reach the boss again, it’s just not as easy to play like I usually do with bosses. Deaths are always super frustrating.

Last edited:
Top Bottom