• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What would your ideal game be?

something like l.a. noire but in the seventies.
buddy cop investigating type game with many witty characters.
That would be cool. My mind went to a Guantanamo Bay inspired torture room that would change the state of the state depending on the answer you receive and how you respond. It would work in ton of genres.

april6e

A game that can generate its own content and thus never gets old. Roguelites are the closest thing but they are limited in some ways due to their lower budgets and lack of mainstream, casual interest.

My dream game would be The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall except with the graphics and budget of something like Baldur's Gate 3 or Grand Theft Auto 6 and fully moddable. Daggerfall came out in 1996 and still is to this date one of the largest games ever made. The game world is almost the size of Great Britain although the world is very generic and same-ish due to the limitations. A modern version of that game where modders could continually inject new content for the game to generate would be my ambrosia.

A game that can generate its own content and thus never gets old. Roguelites are the closest thing but they are limited in some ways due to their lower budgets and lack of mainstream, casual interest.

My dream game would be The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall except with the graphics and budget of something like Baldur's Gate 3 or Grand Theft Auto 6 and fully moddable. Daggerfall came out in 1996 and still is to this date one of the largest games ever made. The game world is almost the size of Great Britain although the world is very generic and same-ish due to the limitations. A modern version of that game where modders could continually inject new content for the game to generate would be my ambrosia.

This is what I’m talking about! That sounds amazing.

Larian making a sci-fi crpg like BG3 and when I mean sci-fi I mean in space, traveling planets with each act, stuff like that. Or you know, just have them make kotor 3 :)

XXL

3098481c9164bb5f33069b37e49fba1a572ea3b89971ee7b.jpg

I'm currently playing it (again) and I think it's actually is my favorite game of all time.

Before I've said its one of the best of all time and it was my GOTY (and GOTG), but I'm starting to think it actually is the best ever (and technically, my dream game).

I literally can't wait to see what Larian puts out next.

3098481c9164bb5f33069b37e49fba1a572ea3b89971ee7b.jpg

I'm currently playing it (again) and I think it's actually is my favorite game of all time.

Before I've said its one of the best of all time and it was my GOTY (and GOTG), but I'm starting to think it actually is the best ever (and technically, my dream game).

I literally can't wait to see what Larian puts out next.
Literally had this conversation at work today. Actually what inspired me to make my first topic on here.

• Strength
Reactions: XXL

Holammer

Shinobi meets Symphony of the Night with peak 32bit pixel art. In a pinch I would accept Xrd type 3D artwork too.
With typical ninja weapons, machine guns and ninja magic to discover and use.

hinch7

Mass Effect universe building is fantastic, dare I say better than both Trek and Wars.
Yeah the lore for series is really well done and facinating. Loved learning about each species history and the relations and conflicts of one another. I'd take more ME even if its only half as good as the origional trilogy. Its a shame that EA and Bioware screwed the pooch with the franchise.

Fingers crossed ME4 doesn't disappoint.

Last edited:

NanaMiku

SRW games with more mecha from games, not just anime. I want Jehuty in SRW

Macross game made by Project Aces/Bandai Namco Aces

New ar tonelico. Ar tonelico is already my dream game, an RPG with focus on songs.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Mass Effect universe building is fantastic, dare I say better than both Trek and Wars.
It's way more consistent as well. I love Star Trek but it's all over the place as far as the rules go. Anything goes and Star Trek. And it's constantly rewriting the rules of the universe. It might as well just be fantasy.

Mass Effect is much more hard science fiction than Star Trek and reality.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
I'd want Tetsuya Mizuguchi to work on a Tetris game. I think that game what have quite the effect on me.

Last edited:
I'm still waiting for someone to do a near clone of Halo CE. Fast FPS gameplay. Precision weapons trumping pray and spray weapons (no ADS...). A 3 shots-to-kill weapon in the vein of the CE pistol. Fall damage. OP grenades and lots of shenanigans. Blows my mind that no dev has tried to recapture that feeling.

m14

A Transformers sandbox game set around the time of the 1986 movie. Not just combat focused. I want to go fishing with Hot Rod, listen to Kup's old war stories, help Perceptor in the lab and play some funky tunes with Blaster. Yeah, I really want to hang out at Autobot City. :messenger_smiling:

A Transformers sandbox game set around the time of the 1986 movie. Not just combat focused. I want to go fishing with Hot Rod, listen to Kup's old war stories, help Perceptor in the lab and play some funky tunes with Blaster. Yeah, I really want to hang out at Autobot City. :messenger_smiling:
Ultra Magnus was weak. 😂

I am the target market for this.

It already exists, Persona 2.

- The gameplay loop of dungeon, preparation and a bit of story, another dungeon, repeat.

- Permanent Party members, so you don't need to worry about characters leaving, which leads to them being underleveled when they come back. Which is a cancer in a lot of games of the same genre, but is not present in Persona 2.

- Excellent music.

- Evil versions of the party members. It's a thing I love a lot in games.

Is made exactly for me.

Last edited:

IAmRei

JRPG with gun, last time i played resonance of fate, and it's rock. I think it's almost perfect. i think i will want something like FF15, with player is using gun and magic. JRPG military shooter with magic, like DMC with fuse RPG and also full of magic-fused society or civilization. i really want the game like that, with serious look, semi realistic anime. also with absurd creature that not scary but kind of disturbing doll-like enemy. the environment is like real world with twist. and player can explore the world though kind of limited. basically FF8 without junction system and action RPG or turn based RPG.

i'm bored with rpg in medieval or low fantasy, too basic for me. even i'm started to hate sword in fantasy games.

IAmRei

It already exists, Persona 2.

- The gameplay loop of dungeon, preparation and a bit of story, another dungeon, repeat.

- Permanent Party members, so you don't need to worry about characters leaving, which leads to them being underleveled when they come back. Which is a cancer in a lot of games of the same genre, but is not present in Persona 2.

- Excellent music.

- Evil versions of the party members. It's a thing I love a lot in games.

Is made exactly for me.
i played it on the first time in my highscool time, it's rock, among the best RPG for me. and i'm happy when i heard the translation patch in PSX back then. dang, it's also what inspire me to be game developer as well.
ps : the BGM in seven sister highschool is my fave song, i listened a lot in these two decades.

Gamerguy84

A game like Uncharted, I remember my first play through vividly. Couldn't wait to get back to the controller.

Tomb Raider was also like that. I'll actually be playing Indiana Jones on PC when it arrives.

El Muerto

Something like Sleeping Dogs/True Crime. Give me fun combat with different combos to pull off. Add some driving, along with gunfights and some stealth mixed in. Dont give me the typical Sony exclusive game cinematic bullshit where more than half the game is just cutscenes, no online requirement, no multiplayer. Just a regular game to play, that's all i want.

Last edited:
and i'm happy when i heard the translation patch in PSX back then.
Unrelated, but related, I'm eagerly waiting for the translation patch for Persona 1 on the PS1 (I prefer the original music, no diss towards the PSP soundtrack).

I love the P1 cameos in P2.
dang, it's also what inspire me to be game developer as well.
I totally can see how! That's cool.
ps : the BGM in seven sister highschool is my fave song, i listened a lot in these two decades.
I love that one!
My favorite is the Kuzunoha Detective Agency theme. I would always go there just to listen to that.

Guilty_AI

Gold Member
JRPG with gun, last time i played resonance of fate, and it's rock. I think it's almost perfect. i think i will want something like FF15, with player is using gun and magic. JRPG military shooter with magic, like DMC with fuse RPG and also full of magic-fused society or civilization. i really want the game like that, with serious look, semi realistic anime. also with absurd creature that not scary but kind of disturbing doll-like enemy. the environment is like real world with twist. and player can explore the world though kind of limited. basically FF8 without junction system and action RPG or turn based RPG.

i'm bored with rpg in medieval or low fantasy, too basic for me. even i'm started to hate sword in fantasy games.
I can think of a few that almost make the cut.

First one that comes to mind is Xenoblade chronicles X. Unfortunately the enviroment is mostly an alien planet, though there is a sci-fi city you can explore. Guns aren't the sole weapons you can use, but they're a major one. Wouldn't say it has much in the way of a "serious look" either.

Diverging more from JRPGs, Shadowrun games are set into a fantasy cyberpunk universe (basically cyberpunk with magic, orcs, elves, etc). Its technically a crpg but the games from what i've seen follow a fairly linear plot. And despite not having anime visuals, they do have a gritty-cartoon artstyle.

There's also Nier Automata, which has almost everything you want except for the fact you don't have guns but instead a robot that shoot projectiles.

Code Vein also comes to mind, since it has all these characteristics and you can use a bayonet as your main weapon.

Last edited:

IAmRei

Unrelated, but related, I'm eagerly waiting for the translation patch for Persona 1 on the PS1 (I prefer the original music, no diss towards the PSP soundtrack).

I love the P1 cameos in P2.

I totally can see how! That's cool.

I love that one!
My favorite is the Kuzunoha Detective Agency theme. I would always go there just to listen to that.
I'm also like the cat big doll as well : ))

DKPOWPOW

Metroid Prime mixed with a dash of Red Steel 1 & 2 + Robo Recall.

Effectively a motion controlled evolution of Prime 3: Corruption.

As happy as I am about getting Prime 4, I'm unsure if the twin stick fools won.

As I had envisioned years ago, a Metroid game that evolved the combat mechanics of Prime 3.

Imagine the grapple beam being used as a full force weapon during combat, latching onto enemies, throwing them in the air, then dashing upwards and raining plasma beam shots upon your enemies, perhaps even combo into screw attack and finish with a power bomb.

The possibilities are endless.

IAmRei

I can think of a few that almost make the cut.

First one that comes to mind is Xenoblade chronicles X. Unfortunately the enviroment is mostly an alien planet, though there is a sci-fi city you can explore. Guns aren't the sole weapons you can use, but they're a major one. Wouldn't say it has much in the way of a "serious look" either.

Diverging more from JRPGs, Shadowrun games are set into a fantasy cyberpunk universe (basically cyberpunk with magic, orcs, elves, etc). Its technically a crpg but the games from what i've seen follow a fairly linear plot. And despite not having anime visuals, they do have a gritty-cartoon artstyle.

There's also Nier Automata, which has almost everything you want except for the fact you don't have guns but instead a robot that shoot projectiles.

Code Vein also comes to mind, since it has all these characteristics and you can use a bayonet as your main weapon.
Yes yes, one of my inspiration is shadowrun on snes, but i want to create one that using FFVII style world as basis, the original one i mean. I think old FF7, in midgar arc only, disc one before world map, is one of the best arc in jrpg. Gritty yet still had sillyness and not to grim city. Quite realistic at the time. I also like resonance of fate, gave me ff7 midgar feels, in other style. I think the game i wants is like combination of yakuza+ff7+ff8+ff15+bioshock+shadowrun and not to silly usual anime. More to seinen, like gachiakuta or cowboy bebop with magic. Especially of magic is fused well with society like ff12 (in some degree, if all, they are more to starwars with full fused magic) or shadowrun hongkong but with not so grim world. I was fan of the order 1886, but dissapointed with the gameplay is not wide, i want to make longer ther order if i can, or if i had budget.

Fredrik

Elden Ring open map
Elden Ring content density and exploration
Super Metroid gear-based locked areas
The Ascent zoom-out twin-stick combat
Metroid Dread puzzle-like boss fights
Starfield/Skyrim item physics and interaction
No Man’s Sky free base building
Assassin’s Creed free traversal animations

11/10 👌

Top Bottom