• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the Scuttlebutt on Until Dawn? Another Order 1886?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Order was not saved by great voice acting and great characters and an interesting story and an awesome environment and awesome weapons and such like that. It all came down to " taking control away from the player " and " too many cutscenes " ( but lets forgive MGS and its 15 minute cutscenes ) and such like that. Made it out to be the worst game ever.

Mechanically Metal Gear is very open. You can go in full stealth and it'll work or you can go in Rambo and that'll work too. You can also approach situations from different ways because the game gives you so many attack points. Before MGSV they were already like mini open world games in terms of what you could do in them from a gameplay standpoint. The Order is pretty much the opposite of that. It's has stealth, but you do it when the game wants you to do it rather than it always being an option. It's mainly a pure TPS. Which is fine as I enjoyed it for what it was. But it's not hard to see why someone could like MGS but hate The Order. Same for Until Dawn. You're going into that knowing that it's like Heavy Rain or Telltale games. So you immediately know what to expect in terms of player control.

King_Moc

Banned
Another 1886? I doubt it very much. Until Dawn appears to know exactly what type of game it wants to be. 1886 didn't have a clue.

scitek

I mean, the developers haven't tried to hide as much as RAD did The Order. That alone should put your mind at ease about any major content issues.

As for the game itself, from what I've glimpsed in the other threads (I'm mostly avoiding them for fear of accidental spoilers), it seems to be pretty damn good. Slasher is singing its praises and that's a good sign as our tastes seem to align more often than not.

So you like just about everything, too?

Curufinwe

Eh, enough BS is enough. And as another poster pointed, someone else has made similar BS thread:

The agenda becomes obvious when you see who started the thread.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=175635981&postcount=1166

Looking forward 3.5 years:

So we have MS who is willing to sell at a loss and Nintendo which has the best IP and fanbase in gaming competing against Sony. Given Sony's shitastic IP and unwillingness to loss lead, I'm not betting on them for gen 9.

Microsoft historically has had no problem underwriting loss making divisions, so all they have to do is not make a stupid x1 again in order to have the most powerful yet no more expensive console. And because Nintendo has all that Nintendo IP, as long as they don't make a piece of 10 year old garbage, sony could easily be number 3 in 2019.

Replicant

GAF digging about the op aside, this is a weird question to me because the big criticism of 1886 was its emphasis on delivering a linear, cinematic experience that seemed to cut down on the amount of actual gameplay and restricted what was left to corridor shooting galleries, and I think people were hoping for more from this next-gen title despite a lot of preview impressions suggesting it wouldn't be that.

Until Dawn is supposed to be a highly cinematic game with relatively minimal input from the player. It's also not particularly linear, from the sounds of things, thanks to the multiple branching pathways. The expectations for Until Dawn are entirely different from The Order. I understand being reluctant to pay $80 for it--I decided not to bite for that exact reason--but it sounds like Until Dawn is exactly the game people wanted it to be.

Replicant

And telling someone to use the search function before making a thread isn't backseat modding?

Well, in the case of the OP, he intentionally not using search function because it wouldn't fit his agenda. Read up.

Unless, of course, this is your 2nd account OP :)

GAF digging about the op aside, this is a weird question to me because the big criticism of 1886 was its emphasis on delivering a linear, cinematic experience that seemed to cut down on the amount of actual gameplay and restricted what was left to corridor shooting galleries, and I think people were hoping for more from this next-gen title despite a lot of preview impressions suggesting it wouldn't be that.

Until Dawn is supposed to be a highly cinematic game with relatively minimal input from the player. It's also not particularly linear, from the sounds of things, thanks to the multiple branching pathways. The expectations for Until Dawn are entirely different from The Order. I understand being reluctant to pay $80 for it--I decided not to bite for that exact reason--but it sounds like Until Dawn is exactly the game people wanted it to be.

Pretty much. Comparing the two games is weird and makes whoever is asking the question just seem like they have no idea what they're talking about.

Alo0oy

Banned
Considering how half baked and flip floppy reviewers are these days, Until Dawn will likely get great reviews despite being a pretty close comparison to The Order. Main difference being the genre's and Until Dawn is more about QTE's. Has the branching story stuff too.

The Order was not saved by great voice acting and great characters and an interesting story and an awesome environment and awesome weapons and such like that. It all came down to " taking control away from the player " and " too many cutscenes " ( but lets forgive MGS and its 15 minute cutscenes ) and such like that. Made it out to be the worst game ever.

Doubt Until Dawn gets the same narrative.

Can you point out the similarities between The Order & Until Dawn? Because I'm struggling to find anything substantial, they're both 3D games, both are PS4 exclusive, & both have a 2015 release date!

Why aren't people comparing Battlefront to The Order? Because there are more similarities between those two games than Until Dawn & The Order.

People need to stop with this stupid false equivalence, The Order didn't get poor reviews because it was a cinematic game

Warxard

Banned
You know what Until Dawn reminds me of the most?

Clock_Tower_(video_game_box_art).jpg

I finished my first play through of Until Dawn last night and it was a great experience. I really enjoyed Heavy Rain and Beyond Two Souls last gen, Until Dawn really scratches that Quantic Dream itch. The chapters are highly replayable because of the different outcomes which result from split second decision making (in every chapter of the game). The tech and atmosphere are also incredible. Supermassive Games did an amazing job building a Resident Evil 1 style camera system and the animation tech reminds me of LA Noire. I LOVE how often the camera feels like its from the perspective of who (or what) is terrorizing my characters. This game is not for everyone. The gameplay consists of navigating highly detailed environments searching for clues, interacting with other characters chose your own adventure style and quick time event driven action sequences.

Make one mistake and it could be all over for that character. There's no reloading your save to get a better outcome. Two players can have a completely different narrative. You can "finish" the game in eight hours, but I'll be replaying most of the game chapter by chapter to see the different outcomes.

I find myself oddly interested in it. It looks like a cheesy straight-to-DVD horror movie, which is definitely not my thing, but something is making me want to play it.

Sotha_Sil

I loved Heavy Rain and the Beyond: Two Souls demo (been wishing for a PS4 version, looks like that isn't happening =/ ). This looks like those games, just a much more boring atmosphere and setting, imo.

So you like just about everything, too?

Mostly. Even a game that's considered rubbish by most has its appeal.

For example, Lococycle is pretty much hated by everyone, but it's comedic approach, dialogue, live action cutscenes and OTT acting make for a charming and fantastic experience. Would I play it through again? Ehhh, but it's still a memorable game and one that I'd never stop recommending.

You should probably note you're talking to someone who thought Vampire Rain was a legit great game and one of only two real stealth game we got last gen...

Warxard

Banned
Fuck, I miss Clock Tower, I want another one on PS4, that, & the other similar game that had a dog, I forgot its name.

Those games were awesome.

First Fiear, Clock Tower, Clock Tower 2, Haunting Ground were pretty awesome, no doubt. Have you seen Project Scissors? It's a Clock Tower spiritual successor with some crazy talent behind it (including the Silent Hill lead artist.)

Alo0oy

Banned
Retail, linear, cinematic games. No big emphasis on gameplay mechanics or RPG elements.

Reviewers have been pretty harsh on PS4/XBO games that dont have an open world or RPG mechanics.

Call of Duty: Retail, linear, cinematic, shooter.

That's more in common with The Order than Until Dawn. Until Dawn is a modern adventure game with a branching story.

The Order didn't review poorly because it's a cinematic game, Uncharted & Metal Gear are cinematic games but they always receive critical acclaim.

Alo0oy

Banned
First Fiear, Clock Tower, Clock Tower 2, Haunting Ground were pretty awesome, no doubt. Have you seen Project Scissors? It's a Clock Tower spiritual successor with some crazy talent behind it (including the Silent Hill lead artist.)

I just googled it. Why haven't I heard of it? It has the backing of Ueda too.

Never understood why people were doubtful of this game.

Looks like it nails the Heavy Rain kind of gameplay with engaging characters that you invest/care for. Just like a cheesy slasher flick, except you have choice

To me, it's surprising that such a game was never created before. They found the perfect genre for it.

My only wish is that Sony would throw some damn advertising behind it. I want a TV spot. People would love the idea of a slasher game with choice, and titles like Walking Dead have given people a taste.

Will there even be a TV Spot? Heavy Rain was successful, right? Why not this game.

Never understood why people were doubtful of this game.

Looks like it nails the Heavy Rain kind of gameplay with engaging characters that you invest/care for. Just like a cheesy slasher flick, except you have choice

To me, it's surprising that such a game was never created before. They found the perfect genre for it.

My only wish is that Sony would throw some damn advertising behind it. I want a TV spot. People would love the idea of a slasher game with choice, and titles like Walking Dead have given people a taste.

Will there even be a TV Spot? Heavy Rain was successful, right? Why not this game.

There's this, but I don't know if it's a TV ad or a cinema ad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbiD901kH_s

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
This is a surprisingly entertaining thread. Game wasn't on my radar until the last week, gonna pick it up when I finish MGSV

Also 'Scuttlebutt' is one of the stupidest words I have ever heard, and anyone that uses it is not to be taken seriously.

I loved Heavy Rain and the Beyond: Two Souls demo (been wishing for a PS4 version, looks like that isn't happening =/ ). This looks like those games, just a much more boring atmosphere and setting, imo.
Heavy Rain and Beyond remaster are confirmed for PS4. Release date TBA.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Heavy Rain and Beyond remaster are confirmed for PS4. Release date TBA.

I never played Beyond but loved Heavy Rain so looking forward to the re-release, I assume we will be getting a release date at the Paris show.

Unlike SCEE, SCEA didnt bother to advertise Heavy Rain at all either, but it still became quite the success over there. This result lead them to market Beyond quite a lot though. So maybe they will bother more with their next game if Until Dawn is successful.

I was really hyped for The Order 1886, then I played the game. Let's just say I agreed with the majority of the reviews. People can have opinions but it definitely did not meet my expectations.

Unlike SCEE, SCEA didnt bother to advertise Heavy Rain at all either, but it still became quite the success over there. This result lead them to market Beyond quite a lot though. So maybe they will bother more with their next game if Until Dawn is successful.

Gamestop have an ad. Not sure if that counts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-l89xrOLWA4

If the Butterfly one is the official UK ad, I think that's much better. Does a considerably ob of selling the game compared to the Gamestop ad.

nib95

Banned
How exactly are people supposed to answer this ahead of the games release? The early impressions have been positive, and these two games are completely different genres. Eg, ones a cinematic third person shooter, the other is a cinematic story based adventure game, closer to something like Heavy Rain. I'm sure it'll get mixed reviews either way, as these types of games often tend to, but if you're in to that sort of thing, it looks and sounds promising.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom