• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where is Skylander '15?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Activision is going to reveal

.Guitar hero on April 14
.Call of Duty on April 26

they usually announce games before E3, last year they announced Trap Team in April, they already confirmed that a new episode is in development, so: are they announcing it in April too? With Warner's Lego toy-to-life announcement, maybe they decided to wait for its reveal to not be overshadowed?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
It's going to be revealed on the 8th of May I think.

hope you're right!

I finally just got Trap Team recently, so I'd appreciate it if they took a break this year honestly, lol

actually, I still have to get Trap team. as last year, I wait for the announcement of the new one to buy the previous for cheap. amazon last year cut the price of swap force to 40 euro when they announced Trap team :p

I know it sounds stupid but I just hope all the traps I bought my son carry over.

Will buy day one, will wait for lego to drop in price, £100 is too much.

I couldn't justify Trap Team. I already begrudgingly pay for characters, but paying more for little chunks of plastic was just too much. I'll only bite on future ones if they scale it back to just figures/adventure packs.

I actually don't mind supporting Skylanders, as the games themselves tend to be deceptively fun. But Trap Team took too many bad habits of the Disney Infitnity power discs (which are a big reason that game blows).

I couldn't justify Trap Team. I already begrudgingly pay for characters, but paying more for little chunks of plastic was just too much. I'll only bite on future ones if they scale it back to just figures/adventure packs.

Yeaaah, I haven't been crazy about this whole trap thing since the start. The cool thing about the games were the characters and figures of those characters, but the traps made a bunch of new characters simply into lamer figures that are chucks of plastic like you say. The only one that looks kinda cool is the Kaos one which has his face on it.

jonno394

I enjoyed what I played of swap force, but skipped Trap Team. Feel Skylanders may have to pull something big out of the hat this year as iirc sales for Trap Team weren't amazing (prepare to be corrected in 5...4...3...) and now with Lego Dimensions coming this yuear, they'll have some serious competition.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I tend to buy the starter pack alone, so I'll do the same with Trap team too, but I agree that previous iterations had less deceptive formulas. I hope next episode will have vehicles gymmick

I enjoyed what I played of swap force, but skipped Trap Team. Feel Skylanders may have to pull something big out of the hat this year as iirc sales for Trap Team weren't amazing (prepare to be corrected in 5...4...3...) and now with Lego Dimensions coming this yuear, they'll have some serious competition.

Competition is fierce, for sure, but there's somehting to be said about how finely honed Skylanders has become. Everyone thought the brand power of Disney Infinity would bring Skylanders down, but both games were so poorly conceived that Skylanders is still doing alright. LEGO is more competition, for sure, but again I'll wait and see how the game is actually structured. The problem with licenses is you're faced with what DI was faced with, a bunch of worlds that can't play together in the main game.

If the main campaign in LEGO doesn't allow all the figures and brands to participate, then it inherently faces the same shortcomings as Disney.

DJ_Lae

I actually didn't mind the pricing of the traps themselves given they work for a handful of different enemies per element and were fun to use.

The way they locked areas behind the new Trap Masters, however, was incredibly annoying. 7x$15 to open everything in the game outside of adventure packs, no thank you.

I actually didn't mind the pricing of the traps themselves given they work for a handful of different enemies per element and were fun to use.

The way they locked areas behind the new Trap Masters, however, was incredibly annoying. 7x$15 to open everything in the game outside of adventure packs, no thank you.

Yeah it goes beyond price and into more practical things like space too. What the hell am i going to do with those traps? At least the figures I can kind of display on my shelves, but the traps just take up space, and are something that by all forms of reason should just be in game items.

I just decided to buy the mainline characters since Giants. Helped my wallet a bit. I just ended up buying one trap for each element as well.

Anyone know when Enigma will be released? Can't find it in stores or online.

I loved the first game, didn't care for Giants, stopped playing Swap Force, and really enjoyed Trap Team. Maybe I'm in the minority with that. I am looking forward to the next game though whenever it gets announced.

Bsigg12

It's coming. Trap Team was announced on April 23rd last year, they'll probably do it around the same time while Disney Infinity Star Wars is announced around the 16th of April. I on the DI stuff is a little off topic but it's going to be huge this year.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I loved the first game, didn't care for Giants, stopped playing Swap Force, and really enjoyed Trap Team. Maybe I'm in the minority with that. I am looking forward to the next game though whenever it gets announced.

in terms of pure gameplay, I enjoyed Swap force more than others. how's Trap team?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Side note the boy child and I lined up all of the characters (no traps or adventure pieces) by element yesterday, and then I snapped a pick! :p

download_20150410_2267u4s.jpeg

in terms of pure gameplay, I enjoyed Swap force more than others. how's Trap team?

Trap Team plays like Swap Force but with better level design I think. My biggest issue with Swap Force was the unskippable cut scenes and dialog. Trap Team lets you skip all that and keep on going. I also like the trap idea. I only have one trap per element because that's all you really need and it's cool being able to switch between villain and Skylander with a press of a button.

jonno394

Would anyone else like to see them shake the gameplay up a bit? I'd love a proper 3D platformer rather than the beat'em up style gameplay Skylanders currently utilises.

Vanillalite

Would anyone else like to see them shake the gameplay up a bit? I'd love a proper 3D platformer rather than the beat'em up style gameplay Skylanders currently utilises.

While I'm not sure I want a platform, I'd agree a gameplay change up would be nice.

I say this thinking Trap Team is the best game in the current formula too.

Li Kao

Totally absolutely noob question, no disrespect intended : is it a good series for an adult player ?
I mean I never really looked into it and the best thing in life is discovering new things, so tell me Gaf, is it good in its own right or not ?

Totally absolutely noob question, no disrespect intended : is it a good series for an adult player ?
I mean I never really looked into it and the best thing in life is discovering new things, so tell me Gaf, is it good in its own right or not ?

I enjoyed playing them and I'm in my 30's. Check out youtube, there's some older dudes very enthusiastic about them on there as well.

Also what guy below me said. The collection aspect is the main draw. Disney Infinity games are worse but man I gotta have the figures, but atleast the toy box makes up for it.

if you're into it solely for the gameplay experience and the collecting aspect does nothing for you, then no, it's not worth it at all. the game is fun, but certainly not worth the money if you just want to play the game.

actually, I still have to get Trap team. as last year, I wait for the announcement of the new one to buy the previous for cheap. amazon last year cut the price of swap force to 40 euro when they announced Trap team :p

Smart man! I wished my kid was as patient as you ^^

Vanillalite

if you're into it solely for the gameplay experience and the collecting aspect does nothing for you, then no, it's not worth it at all. the game is fun, but certainly not worth the money if you just want to play the game.

THIS! You gotta love collecting as well as seeing the figures come to life.

Also on the Disney comment above. While I'd agree Disney Infinity is a worse game if you talk adventure mode I think Toy Box especially 2.0 Toy Box is the real draw for DI. That puts the game in more of the Minecraft arena though.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Smart man! I wished my kid was as patient as you ^^

eheheh, more patient like my wife...!

I suggest you to try swap force, that is good as videogame and could be found for cheap

Trap Team plays like Swap Force but with better level design I think. My biggest issue with Swap Force was the unskippable cut scenes and dialog. Trap Team lets you skip all that and keep on going. I also like the trap idea. I only have one trap per element because that's all you really need and it's cool being able to switch between villain and Skylander with a press of a button.

good to hear, hopefully I'll find the Wii u version on a deal soon after the announcement of the new one

While we're on the subject of Skylanders...does anyone have any advice for a good shelf or storage for Skylanders that's low cost? My desk is kinda getting out of hand, but I like having em available if I wanna play lol

THIS! You gotta love collecting as well as seeing the figures come to life.

Also on the Disney comment above. While I'd agree Disney Infinity is a worse game if you talk adventure mode I think Toy Box especially 2.0 Toy Box is the real draw for DI. That puts the game in more of the Minecraft arena though.

Yes hence why I said Toy Box makes up for it. My kid loves toy box mode. He's created some cool levels.

Also some of the community made levels are really good.

How is the framerate on the PS4 version? The X1 version is crap, especially split screen.

Wasp

I kinda regret buying Trap Team. The game is just boring. I enjoyed Swap Force but for some reason I'm finding Trap Team too simple and straightforward, the puzzles are like baby's first videogame. Pick up giant acorn indicated by giant floating arrow and place acorn in giant hole 10 feet away indicated by giant floating arrow.

Also I dislike how each level has about 3 elemental gates that only the brand new and much more expensive 'trap master' Skylanders can access.

I'm playing the game in co-op but all the sidequests are strictly one player only, so the other player has to just watch the other player.

The toy traps are crap too. Each one cost about £8 just for some lump of boring plastic that will no doubt not be supported in future games.

mreddie

I kinda feel I'm too late for Skylanders, they seem to have great art and voice direction, gameplay I've heard looks good but I feel I'm too late to the party if I get to it now.

I kinda feel I'm too late for Skylanders, they seem to have great art and voice direction, gameplay I've heard looks good but I feel I'm too late to the party if I get to it now.

If you don't mind getting used figures, it's not really. Gamestop, and other stores in my area that sell used games have skylanders really cheap, and I'm not really into the craze (yet) of looking for all the rare ones. Just getting the ones I like, and it hasn't really costed much.

It's never too late. Gamestop has had a Buy 2 Get 2 Free on Skylanders, DI, and Amiibo pre-owned figures the last 2 weekends. I was able to get a decent amount of Skylanders so I can get my plats for Spyros Adventures and Giants.

Trap Team was a good game, but what annoyed me is that needed Trap Masters to open elemental gates instead of just the Cores doing that. I liked the idea of Traps, but with needing the Trap Masters and also getting traps I felt like Activision was milking us. I think the Cores based on elements should of opened up the gates like the first two games, but traps should of been specific to each elemental trap master.

I'm interested to see what Sky5 has to bring, but now with Lego getting involved in the TTL market its going to make things interesting. I've bought DI 2.0 twice now in hopes that I can get into it after beating the main story mode and I even find the Toy Box to be lackluster when compared to how awesome it was in Toy Story 3. While the expansion packs in DI 2.0 were lacking in terms of variety vs. DI 1.0, I think they were better than the Sky TT expansions as those were only 45 minutes long while the DI 2.0 ones were 3-4 hours long.

Cilla

I don't feel ready for it. I got the plat for original and Giants. I'm working on Swap Force now. I am just out of steam as you have to beat the level so many times.

My husband was given Trap Team for free from work and should be given the new one too.

At least Trap Team's trophy list looks a lot nicer.

Trap Team wasnt very good and they doubled down on the fuck you buy more figures by requiring you to need the trap masters specifically for the element gates.

And DI2 was a rip off IMO

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Both Guitar hero and CoD announcements are gone, and still no news on the new Skylander...oh well, I've just found Trap Team on sale on Amazon.uk (Wii U ver new at 33€ shipped) so.... :p

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Any day now ......... Eagerly waiting

so, other 2 weeks have passed without any official confirmation.

In terms of competition:
Infinity 3.0 has been announced and presented.
Diimension has been confirmed.

In terms of internal programs:
CoD has been announced
Guitar Hero has been announced

Keep in mind that they actually confirmed a new episode for Fall 15 previously:
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/...ative-new-title-for-2015.html#~pcKYNZaPL0yQYw

It should even be an "innovative" iteration.

So, E3 is approaching: could we be in for a surprise E3 announcement? I'm not even sure if Activision will be at E3 with their stand, but that doesn't mean that the game couldn't be announced...on one of the three HW competitors (maybe not as pure exclusive, but for some exclusive "marketing deal" or "special edition" (last yera Activision had deals with Nintendo, offering a free Wii U download code for every Wii version purchased, for example, and this info was given during their Digital Event)

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
And don't forget Tony Hawk. I guess it's quite typical of Activision to announce games before E3 and then let the platform holders showcase their games?

You are right, Tony Hawk too.
yes, it is typical, in fact I think they'll announce it before E3, actually. that would leave just few weeks before the event starts its engines...

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
can't figure out any innovation from other episodes by that, plus the orange base seems a production base, with production marks, and seems an already existing one, already used (giants?) as they change the color of the base for each episode

so, fake?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
May 22nd, still no news.
Are we in for a surprise E3 announcement? Maybe some sort of esclusive deal? :eek:

Top Bottom