• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which is more powerful: DS or N64?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Tekky said:
Slight wavering could also be due to lack of enough precision in the texture coordinates.

If they bothered to have real dedicated 3D Hardware this would have not happened.

In no N64, PS2, Xbox, GCN, PC since the 3Dfx Voodoo 1 days, Dreamcast, etc... game I have ever seeing the kind of texture warping I have seen in DS games.

Going by the performance of the ARM9 CPU with fast integer math ( it seems to have a fast integer MADD routine ) it is not impossible to see how it relates to the quoted polygon rendering performance of the DS by Nintendo.

Perspective correction can be done in software: I do believe that Tomb Raider 1 on PC did follow that road if you enabled the highest quality setting and di not have the various PVR or 3Dfx glide patches ( good old days with a 486 CPU based PC :) ).

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Mario_4P_2.jpg

920758_20040511_screen001.jpg

e3sonic_nds_ss13.jpg

ourumov

Zelda PAL was not 15fps, stop exaggerating it! =/
I don't have a fps tool but I can assure you that Zelda was no way 25 fps nor 20...I am extremelly sensible to framerates and Zelda, for me, was not enough smooth. That doesn't make it was a bad game. Hell ! Mystical Ninja is my favourite game ever and the framerate sucks as well.

AniHawk

SolidSnakex said:
The DS has shoulder buttons? Hmm never noticed them.

I didn't even know until I tried it. They're orange/red buttons up on the corners (not like the SP's, just buttons that stick out).

Culex

Banned
I think a lack of texture filtering may be a saving grace for the DS. You'll get a sharper picture, without blurred, washed out textures. That's a big plus for me.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Culex said:
I think a lack of texture filtering may be a saving grace for the DS. You'll get a sharper picture, without blurred, washed out textures. That's a big plus for me.

This is great, they just simply cannot do anything wrong. Bi-linear filtering is something the machine should have had and the lack of it is not an advantage on that kind of screen.

What will you say when PVR MBX based PDAs and Cellphones and the PSP show nice textures with texture filtering on ?

The fact textures were blurry on N64 games was because the machine did not have space to store high-res and high color textures: texture filtering is still a plus as it reduces shimmering ( bigger problem when you go to a lower resolution screen as you increase the texel : pixel ratio, with textures staying the same as in the N64 games ) which is really an annoying phenomenon.

Johnny Nighttrain said:
anyways, from what i saw at E3, the backrounds in Mario64x4 clearly aren't as good as the N64 ones. the character models on the other hand, are really great. they almost look as good as their GameCube counter parts.

That's what I was referring to. The character models. It's hard to tell from screenshots if the backgrounds are that different. Characters look good.

Ranger X

Panajev you're right. But i think that the texture warping due to the lack of perspective correcting effect is the worst thing in what's missing.
I hope the polygones aren't shaky as the PS1 now...

Top Bottom