• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which recent first party publisher acquisition hurt core gamers the most?

Which was the biggest loss for multiplatform gamers?

• Bethesda

Votes: 54 65.9%
  • Activision

Votes: 14 17.1%
  • Bungie

Votes: 14 17.1%

• Total voters

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Who the hell voted Bungie?

4t.gif

C2brixx

Is "Core Gamer" the same as console warrior? The barrier to entry for Microsoft games is so low at this point. All their games come to PC day and date and with xCloud you don't even need a console to play most of their games. If anything Microsoft's acquisitions are a welcome revelation.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Bethesda.

Mainly because of Tango Gameworks. I'd buy a Series S for their games though. Not in a rush to do it right now but it's definitely in the back of my mind for future titles.

Lady Jane

Banned
“New” evil company? they always been historically known as evil! People tend to think Xbox exist outside of MS but nah.

You're right but at least they outputted good software in the 6th and 7th gen. Now there are no benefits and they're exercising their endless budget more than ever so I guess it's more blatant.

Probably Bungie, since now Playstation gets credit for making HALO...

Saw this dude on Twitter say "Xbox created on of the greatest games ever in Skyrim..." 🤔 word? lol video game Twitter is wild.

OT: idk, hard to say... probably none of them. If you really wanted to play those games, you'll have ways too. And honestly, JOMO is more fun than FOMO lol

Last edited:

Zeroing

Banned
You're right but at least they outputted good software in the 6th and 7th gen. Now there are no benefits and they're exercising their endless budget more than ever so I guess it's more blatant.
I just think the MS curse will happen again and we will end up with Activision and Bethesda destroyed! I would like to be wrong! But MS track record of destroying everything they buy is 100% accurate.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
As a Core gamer it was their acquisition by Eidos that had the biggest impact.

Crayon

They are only keeping the stuff off of playstation, so it's only a loss for people who only have ps. Just ms being ms. I'm surprised the are realeasing on steam because valve has also been dick-slapping them for years.

anthony2690

None so far...

Also I'm actually pretty optimistic about the Activision one for Microsoft, I'm HOPING it means activision can be more than a cod factory.

CamHostage

Activision -

True Crime
Crash Bandicoot
Spyro
Diablo
Tony Hawks
Skylanders
Gun
Guitar Hero
Prototype
Blur
Singularity

I'm not a fan of this "just buy a publisher and all their games are now your games" approach; I prefer strategic alliances with developers that result in new games, or at least ongoing franchises getting a greater push for further expansion. If there aren't new games, and if existing games get taken away from subsets of the audience, then the only winners are the shareholders. (And Game Pass subscribers, although nothing was stopping MS from signing Bethesda to a Game Pass deal like they have other publishers.) So I dislike both the Activision and Bethesda purchases. (Admittedly, it wasn't a win for "my team" since I don't own an Xbox currently, but I'm not in favor of all the "PS should buy Square Enix" talk either... Konami would be a different buyout circumstance, though, whoever gets them...)

...But, none of the games on your list except Diablo had much of a chance ever getting made again under the previous Activision. Activision is just about completely a Call of Duty factory, after transferring the THPS 1+2 team to Blizzard and reassigning the Crash Bandicoot 4 team into CoD support. (They do also publish Sekiro by FromSoft, if you count that?) So for anybody who likes any of those franchises, this Activision buy-up is potentially a good thing since you might actually get some games that aren't CoD or Warcraft/Starcraft/Diablo. You may need to buy a platform you don't own yet (and woe for you if you like playing Acti/Blizzard games on your Switch, although so far they haven't pushed the exclusi button,) but at least there's a chance now that these brands might get made again.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
None did. If you have to buy another console...oh well.

MS acquisitions are great for everyone except for the losers that don’t have gamepass
I don't get how users get away with saying this but I got banned for stating how long Phil Spencer was in charge of Xbox Studios.

With Activision there's actually a good chance they won't focus only on CoD and cancel many not so profitable IP's like Tony Hawk or Crash.
Yea, just like how they make use of all the abandoned IP's they already have...

Last edited:

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I think probably Activision if MS makes those games exclusive. There's a reason why MS was able to buy Zenimax for 7.5 billion while it's going to cost them 68 billion for Activision.

Top Bottom