• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which VR hardware will be the one to go with?

Elite is not representative of all VR requirements because it is not a VR only game. A 970 is what will be targeted by a majority of games. It is still steep, but not as high as Elite would lead you to believe.

Elite's non-VR requirements are far lower:

Frontier said:
CPU Quad-Core CPU (4x2GHz)
GPU Nvidia GeForce GTX 470 or AMD Radeon R7 240 (requires DirectX 11)
RAM 6GB

Piggus

PSVR seems to be the most consumer friendly and has a lot of great support, and you don't have to worry about tweaking anything. But Vive/Rift offer their own unique experiences being that they're more open. Personally I'm going with both Rift and PSVR.

Bsigg12

The *recommened* system, not the *minimum* system:

https://www.oculus.com/en-us/oculus-ready-pcs/

They said devs should aim to these specs, and no other.

To be fair, that essentially equates to what Oculus thinks is the minimum requirement for a plug and play like experience for the Rift. Being on PC you can obviously have better or worse hardware and as far as devs are concerned, while they're being told by Oculus to look at that setup as the baseline, games like Elite Dangerous in VR do require a 980.

No, the specs I listed are the minimum. Read my quote, that's straight from the game's developer:
Frontier said:
This is what we consider to be a minimum spec to have a good experience on forthcoming consumer VR headsets.

And Oculus' specs are what they consider the *minimum* for VR; they told developers to expect that all Rift owners will not have anything weaker.

ZOONAMI

Samsung gear VR.

Cause I think VR is neat but not hundreds of dollars neat.

I'm with ya. I also don't really understand why Oculus can't somehow use the Gear VR for PC. It actually is higher resolution than the rift. Is refresh rate the problem? Why isn't it a problem for native Gear VR apps? Bandwidth over USB 3.0?

iceatcs

Hardware - I think PSVR will be cheaper for home VR - with PS4 is the main system. I suspect many PC VRs required high-end GPU (90fps at high resolution) for best with many other high minimum specs.

Content - PC likely best out of it because of the mod can additional VR support.
There will be some exclusive titles because each VR has different features. PS4 is not PC, and maybe Oculus will have DRM on full Oculus titles to only work with Oculus headset. Not sure about HTC one, I assume there will be VR Steam, and VR open source for homebrew or mods.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The PSVR won't have the most powerful hardware running the show, but it will be the most accessible solution and should get strong support (unless VR completely fails, again). Sony seems to be willing to really push it and pour resources into it, moreso than they ever really did with Move. And with the PS4 + PSVR combo being a known quantity, devs will be able to ensure a great experience for everyone. It won't be quite as pretty as what you can do on a powerful PC, but with the right priorities on the part of the devs it should be very nice indeed. RIGS looks pretty amazing, and apparently is so to experience as well (can't wait to try it). Nobody else really has the full hardware + software package for VR like Sony does, IMO, and nobody else will be able to provide a plug-n-play VR solution for the wider gaming community in the same way.

So yeah, that's where I'll jump in. Already owning a PS4, but not a great gaming PC, it's really a rather easy decision for me. And I think many will feel the same way, which is why I think PSVR will get great support. Then, unless VR turns out to be dead in the water (I really doubt it this time), I'll pick up the best PC solution once I get a stronger machine.

I think games released in the year after PSVR is released will look good, but as the PS4 ages even more, they'll begin to become very outdated.

Gotta remember; Rift 3 or even 4 will probably be released before the next iteration of PSVR.

I'm still wary that PSVR games will look dated day 1, at least compared to Rift and Vive games. I want all of the headset to succeed, and it would be a shame if people play PSVR and are put off because it's not great.

4 USB ports is going to be an issue for some people. Hopefully that is already accounting for the Oculus Touch controllers.

To be fair, that essentially equates to what Oculus thinks is the minimum requirement for a plug and play like experience for the Rift. Being on PC you can obviously have better or worse gear and as far as devs are concerned, while they're being told by Oculus to look at that setup as the baseline, games like Elite Dangerous in VR do require a 980.

Yeah, but that minimum includes 90 fps with no drops. The intention is, I think, for everyone to aim for that system.

They will have to test the games to see if they reach 90 fps without drops to see if they can enter in the Oculus Store, it's going to be a hard requirement, they insisted too much in it. A game that only reaches 40 fps won't pass the test! But... computers have variable power, how do you think they are going to test it? I suspect the hardware they will use to test that is going be exactly that build.
Therefore, Elite Dangerous couldn't pass the test for their Store.

I think most devs will want to pass up the test, so they will aim a bit lower.

Bsigg12

I'm with ya. I also don't really understand why Oculus can't somehow use the Gear VR for PC. It actually is higher resolution than the rift. Is refresh rate the problem? Why isn't it a problem for native Gear VR apps? Bandwidth over USB 3.0?

Technically, the GearVR has a worse per eye resolution, 1280x144 per eye for the Gear VR and 1080x1200 for the CV1 Rift . It also heats up excessively in some cases because it is all being done on the phone and not being processed out on a dedicated machine and then pushed to the headset.

Edit: I done messed up. The resolution for the GearVR is 1280x1440 per eye however, it runs at 60hz and has a 96° FOV where as the Rift CV1 runs at a 90hz refresh and has a 110° FOV. While I really like my GearVR, it's definitely lacking from what the Rift, Vive and PSVR will offer.

Per eye resolution is much worse, actually. And the hardware (particularly the optics) are significantly better on the Rift. Also the out-of-box Gear VR can't do positional tracking. The whole thing is paired-down in every conceivable way.

yurinka

I think PSVR will be the best option:
  • Hardware to run it will be a PS4, way cheaper than the PC needed to run Oculus. So a lot of people more won't have the entry price as blocker.
  • Sony has more experience on successful gaming platforms.
  • Sony has more experience on successful gadgets and devices, ranging from displays to audio, HMD, 3D tvs, 3D games, portable stuff, motion controllers, cameras, etc.
  • Sony already has a huge amount of internal and external developers making games for them, both in this and other platforms. So it's more likely that will have a bigger catalog.
  • All these things may create a wheel where compared to the other VR platforms it's going to get more sales, which would lead to more support from devs so more games and apps, generating more sales, and so on.

Sure, the first generation of VR helmets is going to have flaws, and most of the games released the first years are going to have huge design issues, but out of the first devices I think that it's pretty clear that PSVR is going to be the winner horse and the others will remain something niche like Ouya or Steam Machines.

And I'm interested on VR, already have a PS4, doesn't have a powerful gaming PC, and don't want to make a huge investment on a first experiment. So I'll get PSVR.

None. I don't like gimmicks.
It isn't a gimmick. Once you try it you see its huge potential. Maybe the first generation will have important flaws, but the future is there. The sense of inmersion is so fucking huge and nothing like using a tv, 3D cinema or anything else.

iceatcs

For FPS's and Driving games it's definitely not a gimmick. VR fits these games really well. All the other genre's won't work well with VR.

Most FPS and driving are basically automatics VR ready. Other genres can work but it better off to be made for VR, like new camera mode with specific control for VR handset.

Tsokolit

PSVR. Interested in RIGS, Ace Combat, & GT Sport. My pc is outdated. Stopped playing GW2 a long time ago. Only play Diablo 3 for seasons now. Won't upgrade anytime soon.

Kudo

PSVR, I absolutely detest the "goggle" type headsets after using Oculus DK2 so if I'm going to get one it's going to be PSVR.
When I'll get it depends when Summer Lesson releases.

bj00rn_

Banned
So, what I got out of reading this thread so far:

PC centric people are going for Vive and Rift, and those who are into the PS4 are going for PS VR.

Did I get everything right..? lol

Rift and Touch. That thing is incredible. Also, I think Oculus will have enough exclusives lined up that'd suck not to be able to play on a Vive.

PSVR won't have PC compatibility? If so that's easily the worst option.

But yeah, I'm not aware of the differences between Vive and Rift, but I'm sure by the time these things hit a price point I'd be willing to jump in at there will either be a clear option or they are so close it doesn't matter much.

But the Vive and Rift is not compatible with the PS4. It's locked to mid to high end pcs.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Add to that Drive Club, Rex Infinite, Dead or Alive Xtreme 3. It becomes more clear for me.

DC? Has that actually been announced for VR, or is it pure speculation? They're gonna have to make a really pared-back mode to get it running at a sufficient framerate (at least twice as what it's running at now), and in 3D at that. But it's not impossible, I suppose.

PSVR Simply because i have the ps4.

Also seems the more consumer friendly one, Will have Sony's marketing machine behind it, And all the feedback so far suggests it just works without all the fears one would have with VR.

Give VR a few years on the market before we can talk about high end VR.

kyser73

DC? Has that actually been announced for VR, or is it pure speculation? They're gonna have to make a really pared-back mode to get it running at a sufficient framerate (at least twice as what it's running at now), and in 3D at that. But it's not impossible, I suppose.

There were demos of it running at PGW & PSX. Currently they've cut the car count down to 8, less trackside detail and all the dynamic ToD lighting & weather isn't in there, but the demo they were showing was the result of a few months work, so plenty of time for optimisation.

Couple that with GT Sport having a confirmed VR more, and PSVR racing will be well served IMO.

Nafai1123

Banned

Edit: Beaten above. But yeah it definitely works.

Yeah? I mean, I don't support facebook, and if it's a requirement for the Oculus I would rather not. I know they said it wouldn't need it, but you never know!

Well you'll need an account like any app store, the way they have Oculus Home (app store) set up on the Samsung GearVR is likely how they'll handle the CV1, just an email address and username, no FB integration. Now should they add that later on as an option wouldn't surprise me, but I highly doubt it will become a requirement unless its specifically for something like the social metaverse they're developing (think second life).

farisr

PSVR because I don't game on my computer and don't want to have to deal with setup hassles.

Also hoping that sony has PS5 compatibility in mind as well. Even if they are going to come out with a V2 later on around or some time after the PS5 releases, I don't think it'd be a big deal supporting various headsets. I don't see it as being all that different from supporting multiple output resolutions to accommodate older tvs.

Tankard

I will go with the PSVR at first since i own a PS4 and prefer gaming on consoles, but i will be definitely pciking up an Oculus Rift. This is my childhood tech dream, i wanna have all kinds of experiences i can have with it.

autoduelist

PSVR is the best and only option for me. Plug and play experience + already own the necessary hardware = win.

I have zero (negative, really) interest in the others due to the time/resource expenditure required. It's the same reason i'd rather game on my vita/ps4 than my pc... now that i'm older i despise burning my very limited time fiddling with settings [whereas i used to spend more time 'optimizing' my pc than actually using it, lol.

bj00rn_

Banned
PSVR because I don't game on my computer

Whenever I see VR and "gaming" used in the same sentence I get a little bit sick to my stomach. It's not a gaming peripheral for traditional games, and if Sony is pretending like it is, it's going to slow down VR's natural evolution for years to come. I pray PC indies is going to save the day, again.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
But the Vive and Rift is not compatible with the PS4. It's locked to mid to high end pcs.
I've seen that comment about 5 times and no rebuttal.

I already also said that it's s pointless argument. PC people were always going to buy Vive/Rift and the PS is obvious. I'm not sure why this has to be a negative or perceived as such.

Stiler

The HTC vive seems the most exciting of them so far.

Especially with their supposed "big breakthrough" that caused them to delay it.

KodaRuss

I do not have a PC at the moment so it is definitely PSVR for me. Looking forward to all they have to offer though. I hope it takes off.

bj00rn_

Banned
Does Rift or Vive work with consoles? If not then they are just a big of a no no as the PSVR.

Take a look at the size of the software library for the Oculus development kits and you'll perhaps understand where some people are coming from in this context.

Top Bottom