• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Whining about something as little as making an account is how PC has free online.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
You wanna know how PC gamers have the nice idyllic landscape they have? Where we get free online, modding, easy refunds and other stuff?

We shout.
We whine and cry like little babies when even the tiniest spec of shit gets on our lawn. Even for something as irrelevant as making an account. This same shit happened with bethesda, Ubisoft and their other launchers. This same shit happened with Steam and their attempt to force paid mods on us. The same shit happened with Microsoft and GFWL. We don't let anything ruin our experience and if a publisher doesn't budge we sink the damn game and their reputation.

Because if you give stinky corpos an inch, they take a country. First it's PS account. Then it's paid online. Then other publishers see this shit, and enforce paid online in their games too. Next thing you know we're getting fucked paying a subscription like console gamers. No thanks.

We do NOT want to let them set an example. This is why we do the shit that we do.

Last edited:

Three

If that's what it's about then they're in trouble because hundreds of other games have required third party accounts without the whinning.

We do NOT want to let them set an example. This is why we do the shit that we do.
That example was already set way back in 2019 I'm afraid with little to no pushback.

Last edited:

Unknown?

You wanna know how PC gamers have the nice idyllic landscape they have? Where we get free online, modding, easy refunds and other stuff?

We shout.
We whine and cry like little babies when even the tiniest spec of shit gets on our lawn. Even for something as irrelevant as making an account. This same shit happened with bethesda, Ubisoft and their other launchers. This same shit happened with Steam and their attempt to force paid online on us. The same shit happened with Microsoft and GFWL. We don't let anything ruin our experience and if a publisher doesn't budge we sink the damn game and their reputation.

Because if you give stinky corpos an inch, they take a country. First it's PS account. Then it's paid online. Then other publishers see this shit, and enforce paid online in their games too. Next thing you know we're getting fucked paying a subscription like console gamers. No thanks.

Please... You all allowed launchers to become a thing for, "convenience." Game stores like Steam are not needed.

drganon

5HO.gif

We don't let anything ruin our experience and if a publisher doesn't budge we sink the damn game and their reputation.
Another two realities situation.

1st reality: You complain about a product until it's 6ft under. You also attempt praise good products so that they sell really well.

2nd reality: Sometimes products will sell millions regardless of how much complaining and whining happens. Sometimes good I.P. die because they didn't sell well, and a smaller audience here mourns them in hopes for a sequel.

Pejo

Gold Member
Please... You all allowed launchers to become a thing for, "convenience." Game stores like Steam are not needed.
There was a great article written about this very thing a few years ago (that I can't find at the moment). Major publishers were extremely averse to bringing major AAA titles to the PC space because of things like piracy, up-front storefront costs and ongoing maintenance costs, etc. Steam provided a major stepping stone to getting AAA games and console ports onto PC to begin with because of the built-in DRM, hands off customer service, ability to print keys and sell them at other stores, etc.

So while I agree at a base level that launchers aren't strictly necessary, PC as a platform has benefitted from Steam quite a bit.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

We shout.
We whine and cry like little babies when even the tiniest spec of shit gets on our lawn. Even for something as irrelevant as making an account. This same shit happened with bethesda, Ubisoft and their other launchers. This same shit happened with Steam and their attempt to force paid online on us. The same shit happened with Microsoft and GFWL. We don't let anything ruin our experience and if a publisher doesn't budge we sink the damn game and their reputation.

If the shouting was effective, then why do things like this keep happening?

TexMex

I’m sorry have they walked this back or something?

Gamers, not just PC, whine about shit all the time. Doesn’t mean you get your way.

Roni

Gold Member
Microsoft is hard at work trying to make PC's like consoles. You want true freedom, you better start installing Linux distros and getting used to the performance hit of using those.

blue velvet

We shout.

As someone who pretty much a PS user since kid, Playstation fans are the biggest bootlickers in the whole gaming community. These peeps would rather defend a multi billion corporation than see the image of their favorite brand getting tarnished. They will never understand the PC community. They'll just dismiss this "protest" as being whiny.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Microsoft is hard at work trying to make PC's like consoles. You want true freedom, you better start installing Linux distros and getting used to the performance hit of using those.
I can still install mods, buy from different key sites, upgrade my computer, etc etc.

don't know where you're getting that from. But Linux is a fine choice for gaming, yes.

Senua

Gold Member
As someone who pretty much a PS user since kid, Playstation fans are the biggest bootlickers in the whole gaming community. These peeps would rather defend a multi billion corporation than see the image of their favorite brand getting tarnished. They will never understand the PC community. They'll just dismiss this "protest" as being whiny.
Not all Playstation users are like some of the nutjobs on here lol, crazy generalisation.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I wouldn't say that, Nintendo fans are up there. You just don't see them as much here, but go on Twitter or something and it's quite rampant.

I think the drama is justified. PS accounts should be optional. MS gets away with it because they made that clear from the get go with their games, and implemented it immediately too-there was no little period where people could just go in free without an account. If it were more clear and enforced at the launch of the game, people would be used to it by now.
That's why PC gamers caved in for launchers and linked accounts to other services years ago.

Uh Huh Yes GIF
We caved in for Steam and maybe GOG. People are still getting angry over Ubisoft's launcher, people are downgrading GTAs just to avoid the shitty Rockstar Social Club, people talk all day about how much of a horror the Xbox launcher is, etc etc etc. We've made it clear for YEARS that we only want Steam and GOG and only recently have *some* companies decided to listen and shutter their garbage launchers (blizzard, Bethesda, Activision, etc) And we will keep "whining" until everything's on Steam and GOG.
Where were you whiners when MS announced that in order for there to be crossplay with games like minecraft, halo, gears or sea of thieves, an xbl account was required?

Even on playstation
I was complaining about that shit too lol. Especially since MS was using it to bolster their Xbox numbers and appear bigger to investors than they actually are, the slimy fucks.

Pejo

Gold Member
Ah yes, some DRM good, all free accounts bad.
In my opinion, creating/linking a PSN account to play the games isn't a bad thing, but as I mentioned in the other thread, they handled it completely in the wrong way, they should have made it optional but then offered benefits to the players to log in/link the accounts. Free currency/skins/boosters or cross-platform progress, trophies, or literally something that benefits gamers. They didn't do either of those things and just made it mandatory for no benefit to the players. And they did this ~5 months after the game released.

I don't play the game but to me it seems like they handled this badly and deserve the pushback from the people that bought the game and have been supporting it.

Generic

Plenty of PC gamers told greedy publishers with their proprietary launchers to fuck off - why exactly do you think EA, Microsoft, Activision, and Blizzard all came crawling back to Steam? Why do you think EGS continues to be an absolute laughingstock?
How is developers creating their own launchers "greedy"? This have been a thing forever. Battle.net existed years before Steam.

In my opinion, creating/linking a PSN account to play the games isn't a bad thing, but as I mentioned in the other thread, they handled it completely in the wrong way, they should have made it optional but then offered benefits to the players to log in/link the accounts. Free currency/skins/boosters or cross-platform progress, trophies, or literally something that benefits gamers. They didn't do either of those things and just made it mandatory for no benefit to the players. And they did this ~5 months after the game released.

I don't play the game but to me it seems like they handled this badly and deserve the pushback from the people that bought the game and have been supporting it.
Honestly the reality is that Helldivers shouldn't have launched as a massive shit show like it did and the account linking should have been active from the start. Or at least fixed within the first few weeks, not months. The game has shot itself in the feet so many times I'm amazed it's still standing.

Well it's pretty damn fun so I guess that's why it is, but still.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Honestly the reality is that Helldivers shouldn't have launched as a massive shit show like it did and the account linking should have been active from the start. Or at least fixed within the first few weeks, not months. The game has shot itself in the feet so many times I'm amazed it's still standing.

Well it's pretty damn fun so I guess that's why it is, but still.
this entire controversy would not exist (or blown over months ago) if it were active from the start

Three

I think the drama is justified. PS accounts should be optional. MS gets away with it because they made that clear from the get go with their games, and implemented it immediately too-there was no little period where people could just go in free without an account. If it were more clear and enforced at the launch of the game, people would be used to it by now.
Pretty sure there was with Gears but even ignoring that how have you gone from, first they want an account, next paid online? Steam users have given that inch already to every publisher under the sun. It has nothing to do with paid online. You cant say I'm afraid of giving somebody a handshake because next they'd want a french kiss but you've given that handshake to countless other people anyway. Clearly it's not about that principle and you just dislike the person offering it. If you hate french kisses you can actually just reject that separately but you don't reject handshakes at all why say you do?

Last edited:

TheTony316

That didn't stop other publishers from forcing you to make an account and download their launcher on top of Steam.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Steam is DRM.

Most of “DRM” on Steam is basically a logon and license handshake. It’s keeping achievements/cloud saves. It’s DRM light.

In fact most games allows the removal of “steamworks” which effectively makes it DRM free. Witcher 3 for example is DRM free once steamwork is disabled. In fact steamwork is entirely up to devs and Steam does not enforce it, but why would devs opt out if a —no-steamworks argument will remove it?

It’s about “DRM” as any store login to handshake products. Wish I cared a lot about DRM with a fiery passion but really, Steam ain’t the trigger of that.

Sure but it didn't really lead to anything.

The hint that they took financial hits to make their games exclusive on launchers is pretty telling, they almost all went back to steam, except Epic. So it did lead to something, it made a financial impact

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Sure but it didn't really lead to anything.
it was a catalyst and one of the many straws that broke the camel's back and lead to movements like this
being made. Also by a primarily PC gamer.

Another example is Yuzu. Nintendo shut that down, peopel made archives, forks and replicas to try and keep the project alive. Even with all the DMCA takedowns Yuzu is still widely used today. If it were a console thing, people would just suck it up and never let it be heard of again. Not necessarily screaming, but stuff still being done nonetheless.

Top Bottom