• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why It's Important to Recognize That "Moonlight" Was Robbed Of Its Moment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kimmel made it more awkward than it already was to me. I get he was trying to defuse the situation but dumb jokes weren't the situation needed. I more straightforward "We're terribly sorry for this unfortunate mixup, but Moonlight is the rightful winner" would have been better.

All in all though I don't think you can read too much into what happened. It was a colossal fuckup that took everyone by surprise. It's easy to read stuff into it and critique how the people involved acted, but in the moment it was a bunch of shocked people rolling with their gut instincts in reaction to something they never would have suspected could happen.

It does suck that the Moonlight people gave their speeches among the shock and confusion though. Also, I don't have anything to back this up but it felt to me like the La La Land people got more speaking time during the confusion than the Moonlight people did after the situation was cleared up.

As far as Kimmel's response being indicative of institutional racism, I honestly don't think he would have behaved any differently if the situation were reversed and Moonlight was initially given an award meant for La La Land. The dumb "I think you guys should get one too!" jokes would have been more or less the same.

Yeah it was pretty gross how people was rushing to say how brave and full of grace the La La Land people were.
I don't know about brave, he's not a hero lol, but how can anyone suggest it was anything other than graceful? It was an awkward and chaotic moment and he righted the ship as well as he could have. The true shame was that the Moonlight guys didn't get to say anything, that was some bullshit.

Loxley

I mean, I totally understand the criticism, but at the same time it was clear that everyone was panicking and nobody knew what to do. There was obviously no protocol in place for what to do if something like this happens (though you can bet there is now). This was the biggest fuck-up in Oscar history, and it was being broadcast live in front of tens of millions of people - I can't say I wouldn't be shitting my pants in terror and confusion if I were put in the same situation.

It absolutely fucking sucks that Moonlight got robbed of it's big moment, but it was ultimately an accident. A really, really shitty one, but an accident nonetheless.

Korey

It was also a joke. He said they should take it and run, not that he seriously thought they should have it.

Did we watch the same show?

He said it twice.

"You should keep it." Then later: "Why can't we just give everyone an oscar?"

Notice that Jordan Horowitz had to CUT HIM OFF when he said that to make it clear that he was "proud to hand the Oscar to [his] friends at Moonlight."

Jordan is the only person who acknowledged the Moonlight people. Kimmel was even still telling jokes after Beatty explained what happened, and Beatty had to CUT HIM OFF from another joke, by repeating that Moonlight was the best picture.

Kimmel fucked up. Watch it again: https://streamable.com/fitup

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Our society doesn't really give a shit about queer/black people, so its no surprise. That douche bag excuse of a host, Jimmy Kimmel, also made fun of the Muslim name of one of the actors from Moonlight who won for best supporting actor, and also made a homophobic joke about the one sex scene from Moonlight.

Thanks straight white people.

Ohhhhh give me a break. Get off the Internet for five minutes.

Aurongel

Yup...

Black people can't even just be told "you won" without gasps and confusion...
Is this trolling or what? The tone of this thread is conspiratorial as fuck. Moonlight was a victim of an accident that soured the moment for sure but isn't erasing it from the history books as the winner of BEST PICTURE. This shit just baffles me because if the shoe were on the other foot here and La La Land actually won then the narrative would be "well of course they would give a false award to the black filmmakers then steal it away!"

It was a shitty accident that ended with them rightfully earning their awards and securing a spot in the history of film. If there are people here who think this is a conspiracy then please, now is the time to show your receipts.

Speevy

Banned
I think that Moonlight got robbed of that Spielberg moment where someone talks a lot about an important issue for a long time, which is quite unfortunate.

But there's only one person who deserves blame for everything, and it's the guy who fucked up the envelopes. It wasn't racism or politics or whatever. It was some guy ogling Emma Stone.

iavi

He said it twice.

Notice that Jordan Horowitz had to CUT HIM OFF when he said that to make it clear that he was "proud to hand the Oscar to [his] friends at Moonlight."

Jordan is the only person who acknowledged the Moonlight people. Kimmel was even still telling jokes after Beatty explained what happened, and Beatty had to CUT HIM OFF from another joke, by repeating that Moonlight was the best picture.

Exactly.

I get that it was an awkward exchange, but Kimmels first response was to undermine the award--even jokingly, it was tacky and tone deaf

This is a ridiculously long reach. There are no underlying racial motivations behind an Oscar fuckup and a panicked host spouting off a quick joke during the confusion.

Korey

I mean, I totally understand the criticism, but at the same time it was clear that everyone was panicking and nobody knew what to do. There was obviously no protocol in place for what to do if something like this happens (though you can bet there is now). This was the biggest fuck-up in Oscar history, and it was being broadcast live in front of tens of millions of people - I can't say I wouldn't be shitting my pants in terror and confusion if I were put in the same situation.

It absolutely fucking sucks that Moonlight got robbed of it's big moment, but it was ultimately an accident. A really, really shitty one, but an accident nonetheless.

Yes, but this is why we need to examine what happened. People's reactions were at their realist. Why was none of the empathy on the Moonlight people?

It's just something to think about. The article is not accusing any individual person of being racist.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Is this trolling or what? The tone of this thread is conspiratorial as fuck. Moonlight was a victim of an accident that soured the moment for sure but isn't erasing it from the history books as the winner of BEST PICTURE. This shit just baffles me because if the shoe were on the other foot here and La La Land actually won then the narrative would be "well of course they would give a false award to the black filmmakers then steal it away!"

It was a shitty accident that ended with them rightfully earning their awards and securing a spot in the history of film. If there are people here who think this is a conspiracy then please, now is the time to show your receipts.

There's nothing conspiratorial about it. It's clearly just an unfortunate mistake made by some idiot with an envelope.

But it sure as fuck rings as typical.

KHarvey16

He said it twice.

Oh please.

kirblar

Honest mistake, but I did catch Kimmels "I think you should have it anyway"

Which was complete and total undermining bullshit
It's because they have a billion of them made for the ceremony. They don't get their actual ones till later when the nameplate's put on.

Yup...

Black people can't even just be told "you won" without gasps and confusion...

PJacGEw.gif

This thread is reaching inverse Alex Jones levels.

There were no gasps and confusion because black people won it was because of a huge mistake.

You can argue that its symbolic and I'll give you that, but a bag in the wind can also be symbolic if you reach hard enough like some in here.

It was an honest mistake.

The article make it seem like there's a hidden conspiracy to downplay Moonlight's achievement and that the mistake was done deliberately to do just that.
The stage manager knew the moment the wrong movie was said. It takes time to get that many people on stage.

The fix was in.

Speevy

Banned
I wonder if the producer apologized to Warren Beaty afterwards. He grabbed that card like he was grabbing the matches from a little kid who just set fire to the kitchen.

I heard that the initial plan was to lower the statue in with a fishing pole and make the Moonlight crew reach for it, but then they decided to go with the "mix-up" because they wanted plausible deniability.

There was definitely a lack of empathy for the moonlight crew being robbed of a real moment to enjoy the win

I don't see any malice from Kimmel though.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
A massive fuck up.

But that article is reaching for a conspiracy that has no evidence.

Only evidence is that Emma Stone ruined two moments for minorities.

Sanjuro

He said it twice.

"Guys, this is uh, very unfortunate what happened. Personally, I blame Steve Harvey for this. I'd like to see you get an Oscar anyway. Why can't we just give out a whole bunch of them?"

"I'm going to be really proud to give this to my friends at Moonlight."

"That's nice of you."

Satan himself.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
I heard that the initial plan was to lower the statue in with a fishing pole and make the Moonlight crew reach for it, but then they decided to go with the "mix-up" because they wanted plausible deniability.

Shhh. Some folks would legit believe this.

Korey

There was definitely a lack of empathy for the moonlight crew being robbed of a real moment to enjoy the win

I don't see any malice from Kimmel though.

From the article:

Certainly Kimmel was not being malicious when he said to the La La Land producers, ”I think you should just keep it anyway." He felt bad that anyone should have to lose in such a public way. But notice that what Kimmel didn't say is, ”Let's get Moonlight up here right now and let them have their moment." His empathy, like that of many others, went towards the people who looked most like him on stage.

Aint nothing homophobic about a happy ending joke.

Just to be clear, it was more of the audience's reaction to the imagery of two guys giving each other a hand job that was homophobic. Kimmel obviously knew this and then responded "you didn't watch it, did you?", he did at least call out the audience on their homophobia but honestly the whole thing was just in bad taste. Makes everyone in the room look shitty and homophobic.

Kinyou

Just to be clear, it was more of the audience's reaction to the imagery of two guys giving each other a hand job that was homophobic. Kimmel obviously knew this and then responded "you didn't watch it, did you?", he did at least call out the audience on their homophobia but honestly the whole thing was just in bad taste. Makes everyone in the room look shitty and homophobic.
The reaction did strike me more as a "are we allowed to laugh?" than homophobia

I find the premise of this article to be eye rollingly stupid. Had the situation been reversed, does the author think the show would have handled the situation ant differently and if so, how? Racial cultural think pieces can be good but they also tend to be lazy and half-assed too.

AniHawk

i think the article makes a lot of good points, and i think people are wrong to think that any of what happened was malicious, intentional, or conspiratorial. the article is saying that you can look at the handling of the event, and how everyone reacted and have a glimpse of institutional racism happening in real time.

StoveOven

Banned
It's ironic and depressingly symbolic, but it's nothing more than that. It would have been handled just as poorly for any movie.

Fuchsdh

It was an honest mistake.

The article make it seem like there's a hidden conspiracy to downplay Moonlight's achievement and that the mistake was done deliberately to do just that.

Yeah, they're reaching here. And complaining that Kimmel felt bad for the people who got brought up on stage and then told that they hadn't actually won? Seriously? Who doesn't feel worse for the people who get told they won and have their award taken away, compared to the person who leaves with the trophy? That's like saying Miss Philippines deserved more sympathy than Miss Colombia when Steve Harvey screwed the pooch for the Miss Universe pageant.

I find the premise of this article to be eye rollingly stupid. Had the situation been reversed, does the author think the show would have handled the situation ant differently and if so, how? Racial cultural think pieces can be good but they also tend to be lazy and half-assed too.

You can shorten that to think pieces in general. They're easy to write because they require no real research or insight, and they get clicks, so people put out garbage like this all the time.

Tuck

This popped up on my Facebook feed yesterday.

Complete nonsense.

It was an accident, it wasn't some white-people plot to steal the award nor the moment from Moonlight like the article tries to suggest it was. And the La La Land folks handled it with class.

HardRojo

I wonder if the producer apologized to Warren Beaty afterwards. He grabbed that card like he was grabbing the matches from a little kid who just set fire to the kitchen.

Out of courtesy he should, but there was nothing wrong with that given the situation at hand and how everyone seemed to be completely out of it, not knowing what to do. Horowitz (the producer you're talking about) handled the situation perfectly, acknowledging Moonlight, keeping it all going while processing he hadn't won. Context matters, he wanted to make sure right away that people knew he wasn't joking when he said Moonlight were the winners.

I've seen a lot of people make comments like this, but I don't think he owes Beatty an apology at all. Beatty should have said "Wait, there's been a mixup!" the second Dunaway said "La La Land," and his bumbling around before that happened didn't look good either. Neither he or Kimmel were doing much to take charge of the situation, I don't blame him at all for getting snippy in that situation. It should have never happened, Kimmel and Beatty weren't doing a competent job at making things better, and no one knew at that point who was to blame, the producer wouldn't have been unreasonable to think Beatty or Dunaway had just fucked up.

Looks bad in retrospect, just like everything about the entire situation, but it's completely understandable. If the producer owes Beatty an apology, Beatty owes one just as much for letting the situation get as out of hand as it got.

Out of courtesy he should, but there was nothing wrong with that given the situation at hand and how everyone seemed to be completely out of it, not knowing what to do. Horowitz (the producer you're talking about) handled the situation perfectly, acknowledging Moonlight, keeping it all going while processing he hadn't won. Context matters, he wanted to make sure right away that people knew he wasn't joking when he said Moonlight were the winners.

Totally, he handled it pretty gracefully given the circumstances. The idea that of all parties involved he is the one who should be issuing an apology is silly.

Tuck

He said it twice.

Well yeah, because it was an awkward moment. A group of people were told they won and then had the award taken away. He felt bad.

KHarvey16

You're seeing and hearing what you want to hear and see.

Goodstyle

People have lost their minds. It was an honest mistake. Kimmel was making a joke. This was an unfortunate incident.

PaulloDEC

Yes, but this is why we need to examine what happened. People's reactions were at their realist. Why was none of the empathy on the Moonlight people?

Because the situation had dramatically improved for the Moonlight people (getting an award they didn't think they'd won) while it had dramatically worsened for the La La Land people (losing an award they'd thought they'd won).

You're seeing and hearing what you want to hear and see.

Maybe your right, but I intrepreted that reaction as disgust and discomfort. I doubt the reaction would be that mixed if it were between a man and woman.

Maybe I'm wrong, but that's just vibe I got only because it's too familiar to me in my real world experiences, unfortunately.

So the joke wasn't homophobic (although Kimmel was, since he was in the room), but the people who laughed at the non-homophobic joke were being homophobic?

cdmlgxq.jpg

The "You didn't watch it" part is because few people saw Moonlight.

I think the most damning indication of the continual fallout is how Variety is known for showcasing Oscar winners in the issue immediately following the ceremony.

For Moonlight however?

It might have a benign pretense, but there's a push in shitty blogs to acknowledge Moonlight as best picture, but to always include the La La Land mixup in the exact same breath, almost as a way to apologize or atone for the incident.

The narrative of Moonlight winning best picture will remain tarnished for years because people can't help but bright up the dumb annotation an honest, dumb, hopefully forgettable mistake.

After the dust settles, I hope acknowledge the shitshow and Kimmel's tenth tasteless joke of the night shows, but then can talk about Moonlight as best picture without condescending its win by simultaneously fellating La La Land's forced "magnanimity."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom