• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why it's totally wrong to expect Nintendo's next handheld to have an high res screen.

-MB-

tumblr_m0c0ghzswa1qkgjglo1_500.gif

sörine

Banned
Now I'm glad I decided to check out this thread.
My guess is 540p, and they're dropping 3D but keeping a 320p second touchscreen. It'll scale neatly to their shared OS/software console outputting 1080p (maybe also with a small 320p screen on it's controller).

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I own a Stream 7, great device. But while gaming, the battery life is lower than 3DS. But to be fair, HP really cheaped out on battery life. Also, don't expect to play PS360 era games at native res.
Also, that price is hardly indicative of the long-term cost - intel SoCs are heavily subsidized. It's not clear how much longer intel shareholders are going to take the sinkhole known as mobile division.

sörine;151188848 said:
My guess is 540p, and they're dropping 3D but keeping a 320p second touchscreen. It'll scale neatly to their shared OS/software console outputting 1080p (maybe also with a small 320p screen on it's controller).

I personally doubt they will drop the 3D now that they have a much more effective way for people to see it.

Also, that price is hardly indicative of the long-term cost - intel SoCs are heavily subsidized. It's not clear how much longer intel shareholders are going to take the sinkhole known as mobile division.

These tablets are meant to be highly competitive... I mean, just look at the OS price !
But still, it doesn't resolve the problem with Nintendo's next handheld and high res screen... This isn't a price problem, but a tech problem.

540P for top screen is too much if they are keeping the 3D. Would actually be higher res than one single 720P display.

If they keep the 3D I don't see the top screen being higher than 320p or so.

Votron

Their handheld always follows last two generation of their home console.. so expect something at wiiU resolution meaning 480p

540P for top screen is too much if they are keeping the 3D. Would actually be higher res than one single 720P display.

If they keep the 3D I don't see the top screen being higher than 320p or so.

Why? 540p and 720p glasses less 3D displays exist

Edit: why are so many convinced on here that it is 480p or bust? Absolutely ridiculous

Diffense

Their handheld always follows last two generation of their home console.. so expect something at wiiU resolution meaning 480p

I couldn't stop staring at your avatar..lol.

As for Nintendo's next handheld, they're obviously going to go for low cost and energy efficiency. If they go with 3D again, there's even more reason to keep the res. down.

sörine;151188848 said:

540p on 2017?

WTF...

ghibli99

Keep the game quality as high as it's been, and it could be 320x200. I really don't care. I've poured 150 hours into ORAS while my Vita lies dormant.

Why not just design a solar-powered portable charger that has a slim profile, connecting to the portable with its slim profile, that way power consumption isn't an issue as long as you're not in some dark cellar and they can go at least 720p without worrying about battery life?

Most people play portables outdoors anyway.

Take a look at the HP Stream 7 for comparison.
7-inch IPS touchscreen 800x1280
Intel Atom processor Z3735G (Quad Core)
1GB memory/32GB SSD
Runs Windows 8.1

Price: $75 plus you get a free $25 giftcard
No buttons and no proprietary cartridge slot.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Why not just design a solar-powered portable charger that has a slim profile, connecting to the portable with its slim profile, that way power consumption isn't an issue as long as you're not in some dark cellar and they can go at least 720p without worrying about battery life?

I really don't think that's true. Portables are barely playable outside. Speaking of which I think it would be pretty great if Ninty could release a handheld with a screen that isn't affected by sunlight.

Somnid

I really don't think that's true. Portables are barely playable outside. Speaking of which I think it would be pretty great if Ninty could release a handheld with a screen that isn't affected by sunlight.

There's only a handful of passive screen technologies and the ones that support color are highly immature.

SystemUser

Do you think buttons cost more than half a gig of RAM? What do you think Nintendo makes their buttons out of? They sell $5 keyboards with better buttons than the 3DS. A cartridge slot cost Nintendo about $2 max. Especially since they are reusing the DS cart slot. Do you think that TI calculators cost some much because they have a ton of buttons?

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

I wonder if that tablet/phone-gaming handheld argument point is occurring in the threads for other portable electronic devices too

"WTF this smart watch doesn't even have 2k resolution!? Come on my 2 years old 7 inch tablet already have'em!"

Do you think buttons cost more than half a gig of RAM? What do you think Nintendo makes their buttons out of? They sell $5 keyboards with better buttons than the 3DS. A cartridge slot cost Nintendo about $2 max. Especially since they are reusing the DS cart slot. Do you think that TI calculators cost some much because they have a ton of buttons?

wow, and we are basing the cost for the 3DS's buttons with calculator and keyboard LOL

Biker19

Banned
You can make decently spec'd hardware without breaking the bank. I don't understand why people feel its an all or nothing proposition.

This. Plus if anything, neither Xbox 360 & PS4 were made as multimedia devices in mind; they were mostly made as gaming consoles with multimedia functions.

PS3 & Xbox One however, were touted as a multimedia devices that also plays games, hence why the media stuff is a lot better on those consoles than on 360 & PS4.

What?

PS3 w/o insanely expensive 2x BluRay drive, it was around how much? $350? For a fucking 2x drive?

Replace that one with a 12x DVD drive like in the 360 and PS3 at $599 would have AT LEAST not cost Sony around $250 per unit on top. It would have also solved the horrible installation and load time issues, that are still everywhere.

And that's just the bluray drive.

It seems Sony went "Hey engineers, design PS3" - "how much shall it cost?" - "doesn't matter. just design it. And put a bluray drive in there. We will just pull the same shit as with the PS2 and its DVD player. Because normal customers will surely jump immediately on the bluray train!"

There were no other Blu-Ray players that had disc speeds over 2x back in 2005-2006; Sony didn't have any other choice but to go through with it for PS3 as they were pushing Blu-Ray. Everything else, I agree with you on.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Keep the game quality as high as it's been, and it could be 320x200. I really don't care. I've poured 150 hours into ORAS while my Vita lies dormant.

This is basically what I was going to say as well.

As long as the games output is as great as it has been from Nintendo on the 3DS, I don't care what the screen resolution is.

SystemUser

I wonder if that tablet/phone-gaming handheld argument point is occurring in the threads for other portable electronic devices too

"WTF this smart watch doesn't even have 2k resolution!? Come on my 2 years old 7 inch tablet already have'em!"

wow, and we are basing the cost for the 3DS's buttons with calculator and keyboard LOL

The 3DS has one of the cheapest types of buttons in it. Did you think it had cherry microswitches? The 3DS uses the same style of buttons that a TI calculator uses. These are nearly the same buttons that Nintendo used in the the Game & Watch, cheap and durable.

uORlVYV.png

Bla bla bla I read the first 2 sentences and have now formulated an appropriate response: if the new Nintendo handheld isn't as least powerful as the vita displaywise it's going to be gross to look at. End of story.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
The 3DS has one of the cheapest types of buttons in it. Did you think it had cherry microswitches? The 3DS uses the same style of buttons that a TI calculator uses. These are nearly the same buttons that Nintendo used in the the Game & Watch, cheap and durable.

uORlVYV.png

Lets not talk about the raw cost for the material first.

You should maybe explain how you are going to shrink the internal components of a smartphone to fit those buttons/d-pad/shoulder buttons/analogs/cartridge slot, while still retaining the overall size of the handheld.

People are actually asking for this with a cartridge slot, with more buttons, at probably 1/2-1/3 of that size, and a price tag of less than $200.
Unbenannt-1-8533d3634d636eae.jpg

Biker19

Banned
With the raising resolution of small phones, one would hope a 2015 or 2016 handheld console have 1080p, minimum.

Not gonna happen, for a number of reasons such as the extremely low battery life & lots of heat emitting from the handheld.

Plus imagine how much it'll cost?

Zornica

Banned
after reading the whole thread, it seems to me that peoples expectations got completely screwed by this whole retina craze, making them immune to understanding actual hardware design. I'm not sure if I can even blame anyone, after all, throwing big numbers at a wall and seeing what sticks is way easier and will generate more buzz than carefully selected components with some sort of design philosophy/idea behind it. And lets be honest, smartphones have been one of those walls for the last 10 years, basically since the first iphone.

understanding nintendos approach to hardware design may be hard to many, as it is actually about designing hardware, and not about big numbers. it's about what makes sense in real situations (as in gaming) and not about what makes sense on paper. That's why all those "this is 2016 DUH" arguments are completely ridiculous. That's not even an argument really. Only because something exists and may look more advanced on paper doesn't necessarily mean that it would be the best option to go with. why put a 50hp engine into a car designed for the city when you could as well use a 300hp engine?
"because it exists" is not an argument. The only thing that matters is: does it make sense for the way we intend to use it". nothing else.

That's why I'd bet that there next handhelds main screen is going to have the same resolution as the gamepad.
first of all it would make 3ds backwards compatibility easier as they'd only have to double the resolution from 3ds games.
secondly, and more importantly, it could also ensure WiiU backwards comparability. I highly doubt that their next home system is going to feature a gamepad, so using their handheld for that purpose seems absolutely perfect to me.
This would also fit with all rumours pointing to more interconnectivity between those two.

Are you including the lower screen in the pixel count? I thought that the lower screen can't be rendering the same polygon engine as the upper screen. I know that was definitely true that the original DS could only run a polygonal engine on one screen are a time. I can't think of any 3DS games that break that rule. So the 3DS is technically pushing the pixels of the lower screen, but usually the pixels on the lower screen are taxing the GPU much less since they are usually low motion sprites and text. Is the lower screen on 3DS even allowed to run Mode 7 like scaling? In Zelda a Link Between Worlds for instance why does the map have limited view ranges instead of scaling?[...]

http://youtu.be/Dg8hDlolN3U?t=2m19s
(you should probably watch the whole thing, if you're interested in what the 3ds is really capable of)

SystemUser

after reading the whole thread, it seems to me that peoples expectations got completely screwed by this whole retina craze, making them immune to understanding actual hardware design. I'm not sure if I can even blame anyone, after all, throwing big numbers at a wall and seeing what sticks is way easier and will generate more buzz than carefully selected components with some sort of design philosophy/idea behind it. And lets be honest, smartphones have been one of those walls for the last 10 years, basically since the first iphone.

understanding nintendos approach to hardware design may be hard to many, as it is actually about designing hardware, and not about big numbers. it's about what makes sense in real situations (as in gaming) and not about what makes sense on paper. That's why all those "this is 2016 DUH" arguments are completely ridiculous. That's not even an argument really. Only because something exists and may look more advanced on paper doesn't necessarily mean that it would be the best option to go with. why put a 50hp engine into a car designed for the city when you could as well use a 300hp engine?
"because it exists" is not an argument. The only thing that matters is: does it make sense for the way we intend to use it". nothing else.

That's why I'd bet that there next handhelds main screen is going to have the same resolution as the gamepad.
first of all it would make 3ds backwards compatibility easier as they'd only have to double the resolution from 3ds games.
secondly, and more importantly, it could also ensure WiiU backwards comparability. I highly doubt that their next home system is going to feature a gamepad, so using their handheld for that purpose seems absolutely perfect to me.
This would also fit with all rumours pointing to more interconnectivity between those two.

http://youtu.be/Dg8hDlolN3U?t=2m19s
(you should probably watch the whole thing, if you're interested in what the 3ds is really capable of)

VD-Dev is an amazing group. I posted screenshots of their Gameboy games in thread about games that pushed systems beyond their expected limits. VD-Dev is top tier developer when it comes to squeezing power out of a platform. They remind me of Factor 5 in that way. I guess the 3DS is capable of running 3D on both screens, but it seems like most developers choose to direct most of the horsepower to the main screen. That makes sense since usually you only give your full focus to the upper screen. Someone posted Viewtiful Joe DS as an example of the DS running 3D before so I guess I was mistaken there too. I guess it is just rare to attempt to run polygons on both screens.

I agree that a 480p screen range that allows for doubling of 3DS games does seem like the most likely choice. If Nintendo was willing to take a loss on the hardware sale like Sony and most launch Playstation hardware then they could put out a handheld that pushed 720p in late 2017 in Japan for $200-$250. This seems really unlikely though. That would be a dramatic change in the way Nintendo handles platforms. Also there would be little benefit for games going 480 to 720 unless you hold the handheld less then 12 inches from your face. If Nintendo went with doubling the 3DS resolution then the next gen XL version would have a PPI of 190. The "retina" display Mac Book Pro has a PPI of 220-227. A 720p screen would give the XL version a PPI of 285. I hold my 3DS at a distance more similar to a laptop than a cellphone. I think doubling the 3DS will be a huge improvement.

I think it all depends on whether or not the system has BC. If it doesn't have BC i can see Nintendo ditching 3D and the bottom screen allowing for a better screen.
I'm kind of hoping they ditch both for a nicer screen.
edit: Oops, didn't mean to bump this. Someone linked to this thread on twitter and i thought it was a new thread.
Sorry!

Top Bottom