• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

whys people freaking out about Eve but not Bayonetta??

question

• bayonetta

Votes: 11 28.9%
  • eve

Votes: 11 28.9%
  • bowser making it with peach

Votes: 16 42.1%

• Total voters

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
bayonetta is sexual I dont understand this my friends

hero-image.fill.size_1248x702.v1667244869.jpg

bayonetta-1-2-wiiu-7.jpg

Astral Dog

Lots of people freak out over Bayonetta, you haven't read discussions my friend it was pretty toxic its just that its an old series(by now) so people kind of accepted it. Also an awesome game, it was released at a time game journalists were still allowed to review games like games, now some of them did try to bring down Bayonetta 3

If there is an Stellar Blade II it should have less "controversy" around it

Last edited:

DonF

Awesome poll

Bayonetta is old news and at the time it was considered like a strong female, who kinda used her sexiness for her advantage.
Eve is like a doll. In game she is strong but not overpowered, she even sounds weak. Also there is little justification for her looks.
Bayo is a witch and her moves are like a ritual.

Plenty of people freaked out over Bayonetta back when the games released. In fact, a lot of the shit that went on back there perfectly mirrors what happened leading up to the release of Stellar Blade, all the way down to writers assuming that both characters must have been designed by men (when the principal character designers in both cases were women, AFAIK) and claiming that their body types don't exist in real life (only for designers to then provide evidence to the contrary).

Personally, I prefer Bayonetta simply because her sexiness extends beyond her looks. She not only acts like she knows she's sexy, but like she actually wants to be sexy. As far as I can tell, Eve just runs around dressed like a stripper for the sole reason that the developers wanted a character who runs around dressed like a stripper. I don't really have a problem with that, but I know which appeals to me more.

Longcat

It's because they could twist Bayo to fit into their worldview. She was "owning" her own sexuality, not just an object for the terrible male gaze.

People also thought she was a gay icon for some weird reason. (And I found it super funny to read woke twitter's meltdown when they played Bayo 3 and found out she was obviously not)

And other similar reasons. Just marxist/feminist stuff as usual. Anything that appeals to straight men must be taken over and changed.

Chukhopops

From the perspective of someone who hasn’t played it, Stellar Blade MC looks like a soulless Dead or Alive character. I’m sure she’s more interesting once you play the game but many people will not.

Bayonetta on the other hand is described in her games as confident, dominant, independent from men, sexually ambiguous (until the very end). Not even the purple place is angry about her at this point.

They freaked out over Bayonetta and then 2B and now Eve. It's a never-ending cycle. Watch the narrative change in a few years and the same people freaking out over Eve will be telling you how amazing Stellar blade was and how shitty and misogynistic new IP is. You can't win with these clowns. Most of them aren't even gamers.

Last edited:

Crayon

From the perspective of someone who hasn’t played it, Stellar Blade MC looks like a soulless Dead or Alive character. I’m sure she’s more interesting once you play the game but many people will not.

Bayonetta on the other hand is described in her games as confident, dominant, independent from men, sexually ambiguous (until the very end). Not even the purple place is angry about her at this point.

Playing the game more she grew on me a bit. She's just a generic nice person but what did it was that she turns out to be more of an avatar than a character. Everyone around her has personality but she's like a near-silent protagonist.

It ends up making sense with the type of game it turns out to be. It's a breezy arpg with good combat. Like nier automata, but with good combat lol. 2B is the most universally appealing game characters since Gerault and before him, Bayonetta. Eve is not that. She's arguably not a character at all unless something dramatically changes in the other half of this game.

I think if they wanted to give you a more defined character to play, it would have been tachi, and not her grasshopper, eve.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I think some people did freak out about Bayonetta, too.
But they weren't the majority then, and you wouldn't risk getting harassed and cancelled if you didn't express your disgust about it, let alone *gasp* enjoyed her likeness. The signs were there, though.

But yeah, after Bayonetta turned out to be a good game with a likeable character with personality beyond the looks and the crotch shots, she was adopted as a gay icon for reasons. Only to throw her under the bus when the headcanon was shattered by cold reality.

TheTony316

Some did but people weren't as crazy back then as they are now. If Stellar Blade launched in the 00's it would have been just another game with a hot female character.

Last edited:
Bayonetta is 15 years ago. You know, back when there E3 booth babes
This.
Bayonetta came out in 2009 where you could get away with things more. Sure Mass Effect 2 came out in 2010 also showing off Mirandas ass something else. It was a different time.

part 3 most sexual 2022
Bayonetta has already been established. Besides, as much as they show the characters ass off, it's also an over the top franchise and accordingly she's a gay icon.

Also, in 3 she can turn into a train. A train.... lol.

They did, but people seem to have forgotten about that. In fact, it was a topic that got many people banned on this very forum, back when the purple place didn't exist yet.

KàIRóS

Bayonetta 1 came out in 2009 so nobody cared, we still lived in normal times and sexy characters were normal everywhere to sell more, even in western games.

Bayonetta 2 came out in 2014 so that weirdo Anita Sarkeesian was already poisoning minds left and right with her feminist BS and the whole "females as sexual objects in videogames" so other weirdos complained even here at GAF, they all left and went over there on their super progressive SJW and non bigot (sarcasm) Era forum.

Bayonetta 3 came out in 2022 and initially people complained as expected but the attack was quickly replaced when the Voice Actress drama came out, they tried to use that but still failed hard.

Esppiral

Wow at revisionism, Bayoneta was criticized even more when it launched it took a while for people to realise look beyond the sexy girl and realize that is an awesome game, eve is a Poor's man's land copy of the same concept.

winjer

The only people that are offended by Eve are the usual ultra-woke crowd.
But we can't expect that people with mental problems, to act in a rational, logical way.
These people live to be offended. For them, everything is sexist, everything is racist, everything is offensive. And they have to point it all out.
But the reality is that they are just narcissists, that want to be the center of attention.

Esppiral

The only people that are offended by Eve are the usual ultra-woke crowd.
But we can't expect that people with mental problems, to act in a rational, logical way.
These people live to be offended. For them, everything is sexist, everything is racist, everything is offensive. And they have to point it all out.
But the reality is that they are just narcissists, that want to be the center of attention.
While you are right about that stupid offense and woke culture, I don't know who is more mentally ill those cancel/ wokes or full grown ups complaining because they want to get excited with less fabric in the dress of a digital character aka waifu.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I don’t recall many people having an issue with Bayonetta. For one she became associated with Nintendo, and second some people tried pushing a narrative that she was a lesbian.

Those two things alone wash away any criticism.

winjer

While you are right about that stupid offense and woke culture, I don't know who is more mentally ill those cancel/ wokes or full grown ups complaining because they want to get excited with less fabric in the dress of a digital character aka waifu.

Don't be silly and pretend that those woke people are the same as normal adults.

Hudo

Where are people freaking out? On Twitter and Youtube? That's just a fucking vocal minority. No one gives a shit.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Another reason why they are “freaking out” is because the game is actually REALLY GOOD and those people can’t just say “ass & tits all this game has going for it”.

Sorcerer

People may have complained about Bayonetta, but it also did not really ever sell very well. One could say people sort of showed their dissatisfaction with the character in that way.
Stellar Blade is a hit which of course adds fuel to the fire for the detractors.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
They did at the time but the purple-haired prude man children have only gotten louder in the preceding years.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Bayonetta 1 came out in 2009 so nobody cared, we still lived in normal times and sexy characters were normal everywhere to sell more, even in western games.

Bayonetta 2 came out in 2014 so that weirdo Anita Sarkeesian was already poisoning minds left and right with her feminist BS and the whole "females as sexual objects in videogames" so other weirdos complained even here at GAF, they all left and went over there on their super progressive SJW and non bigot (sarcasm) Era forum.

Bayonetta 3 came out in 2022 and initially people complained as expected but the attack was quickly replaced when the Voice Actress drama came out, they tried to use that but still failed hard.

Theres alot of revisionism going on with these games.

The same people offended by Stellar Blade are the same ilk who were offended by Bayonetta stripping.
Wicked Weave attacks were their talking points for a while.....its funny that both Stellar Blade and Bayonetta had/have costumes that are less provacative if you are someone who might be embarssed by what the character is wearing.

I think some differences are that Bayonetta also got critized by the lets call them Anti-Woke crowd because they wanted another dante but instead got a sassy female protagonist who absolutely fucks shit up.

The "queer" crowd latched onto Bayonetta as a representative for reasons beyond me....Bayonetta X Jeanne ships were with the game from the jump too......so over time Bayonetta got a "Yass Queeen" pass or something.

But absolutely Bayo was also attacked by these people for her moveset, movements and costume.

There are some differences tho....Bayonetta actually is a character, she might grate people the wrong way, but theres no denying she has a personality.......Eve?

I should postface this by saying in both cases it was a very vocal minority complaining......even the whole bunny costume stuff is blown outta proportion cuz the people complaining are much louder than the people who are just enjoying the game and the fact it has so many costumes without needing to download them.

Top Bottom