• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U HOMEBREW Discussion Thread [exploits/apps/games/stuff]

Platy

Hmm, is it just a case of NERD's emulator not being accurate enough yet, or are they HLE-ing ARM7 a'la NES mappers?

I have no idea what you said in the second sentence, but pretty much all Vc emulators are made to run just that game. Which means they don't bother with mode7 emulation on any snes game that don't use it, for example.

So if a game uses something no other game available uses, than the emulation will not work because why bother emulating that feature if this game don't use it ?

I have no idea what you said in the second sentence, but pretty much all Vc emulators are made to run just that game. Which means they don't bother with mode7 emulation on any snes game that don't use it, for example.

So if a game uses something no other game available uses, than the emulation will not work because why bother emulating that feature if this game don't use it ?

While each individual game has got emulator settings tweaked for minimal madness, I really doubt they optimize the emulators to that level in case of all games. Though I am aware they are merging the roms into executables for NES/SNES titles on Wii U.

You may be familiar with concept of NES mappers, the cartridge parts doing stuff - as well as SNES cartridge chips doing other stuff. This is surely something they only support to some level, it's not truly surprising as anything could be theoretically put on a cartridge, and they don't bother with bootleg games and such.

DS does not have that in general (though there are carts with IR ports and some unofficial flashcarts have extra processors), but it has two CPUs - at least the first iteration does, there are rumours that DSi added another one, and 3DS surely did for its own purposes. Now if it was a 32X that would just make emulation harder, but the fun part is that Nintendo apparently didn't allow third party developers to use anything but their standard support program on the older of these, this support program got updates but there is a somewhat limited amount of versions. You can draw parallels with Wii IOSes running on the so-called Starlet or N64 graphics core "microcodes"... or with mappers, though it's software, not hardware, this time.

So one could write an emulator which instead of emulating the second programmable unit in the hardware attempts to clone behavior of a specific program running on it instead, which would be faster. Dolphin does it with IOSes right now. A lot of old N64 emulators did it back in the past and I think the popular fast ones still do - it does help that besides few outliers from RARE and Factor 5 apparently all commercial games used the same or mostly the same auxilliary program here. I think it is actually an unpopular approach on DS emulation because homebrew programs tend to put varied things on the auxilliary core, but Nintendo is not emulating homebrew and Wii U isn't too fast so I am wondering if they did this as it would limit the compatibility with injection of software that used a different version of the support program.

Platy

To fair Okamiden does have an anti-piracy thing that had to be patched to work on flashcards.... I didn't tryed the patched rom to see if it works

I gave up on HBL 1.4 because of my constant DS problems (fsopenfile failed) and switched to 1.3 and everything immediately started working re: HBL.

I just finished the Haxchi installer and dumping RedNAND with Mocha and I'm having an issue though so I don't want to proceed to cold launch yet.

Basically when I run the Haxchi modded DS game, it takes me to HBL instead of loading the CFW. Then I can run Mocha from the HBL and it will load the CFW. What do I need to do to have it load the CFW straight?.

Running latest Haxchi v2.5u2 and Mocha v0.2 FWIW. Thanks!

dickroach

I gave up on HBL 1.4 because of my constant DS problems (fsopenfile failed) and switched to 1.3 and everything immediately started working re: HBL.

I just finished the Haxchi installer and dumping RedNAND with Mocha and I'm having an issue though so I don't want to proceed to cold launch yet.

Basically when I run the Haxchi modded DS game, it takes me to HBL instead of loading the CFW. Then I can run Mocha from the HBL and it will load the CFW. What do I need to do to have it load the CFW straight?.

Running latest Haxchi v2.5u2 and Mocha v0.2 FWIW. Thanks!

you can either hold down A when you launch haxchi, or change it if you go to the config.txt in the haxchi folder on your SD card so you don't have to press anything

you can either hold down A when you launch haxchi, or change it if you go to the config.txt in the haxchi folder on your SD card so you don't have to press anything

That makes sense, since my config reads:

Code:
a=fw.img
b=sysmenu
default=wiiu/apps/homebrew_launcher/homebrew_launcher.elf

Before changing anything I just tested though, and it hangs when I hold A starting Haxchi.

So right now I HAVE to go Haxchi -> HBL -> Mocha -> CFW (aka SysNAND folder disappears).

Also, I do NOT see a fw.img in the root of my SD card. Shouldn't I? Does this mean my NAND dump didn't work? My card definitely dropped by 32GB after dumping it.

Me said:
Before changing anything I just tested though, and it hangs when I hold A starting Haxchi.

So right now I HAVE to go Haxchi -> HBL -> Mocha -> CFW (aka SysNAND folder disappears).

Also, I do NOT see a fw.img in the root of my SD card. Shouldn't I? Does this mean my NAND dump didn't work? My card definitely dropped by 32GB after dumping it.

OK, I think I get it now. Mocha loads the hidden CFW instead of fw.img. I get that.

However, I modded my config.txt to read:

Code:
a=wiiu/apps/homebrew_launcher/homebrew_launcher.elf
x=wiiu/apps/disc2app/disc2app.elf
default=wiiu/apps/mocha/mocha.elf

But Haxchi still is doing what it did before despite the new config. Will try redoing Haxchi, assuming it reads the config at the time it exploits the DS game instead of at boot time, which would make sense.

Learning...

EDIT: Worked! On to cold boot...

Edgeward

sorry if this is answered somewhere but do I need to run the web browser exploit everytime to launch the homebrew channel?

I followed the guide and it let me install homebrew app on the wii u menu but when i try going into it it just goes into an error message and i gotta restart the console

Joey Ravn

Banned
sorry if this is answered somewhere but do I need to run the web browser exploit everytime to launch the homebrew channel?

I followed the guide and it let me install homebrew app on the wii u menu but when i try going into it it just goes into an error message and i gotta restart the console

You need to install Haxchi (using a supported DS Virtual Console game) to have the ability to boot into CFW manually or Coldboot Haxchi (CBHC) to do so automatically.

RootCause

I think I have everything I need. The DS game from the eshop, and all the pertinent files.
does the wiiu browser require the latest wiiu firmware to work? I'm thinking of doing this on the weekend, but I'm worried Nintendo will update the wiiu.

Platy

I think I have everything I need. The DS game from the eshop, and all the pertinent files.
does the wiiu browser require the latest wiiu firmware to work? I'm thinking of doing this on the weekend, but I'm worried Nintendo will update the wiiu.

the latest firmware is where every tutorial is based.

RootCause

the latest firmware is where every tutorial is based.
I didn't make myself clear with my first post.
If I'm not mistaken, I need the wiiu web browser and a internet connection to install the homebrew firmware.

Let's say Nintendo releases an update tomorrow, will the web browser work even if the system software is out of date?

Oxn

I didn't make myself clear with my first post.
If I'm not mistaken, I need the wiiu web browser and a internet connection to install the homebrew firmware.

Let's say Nintendo releases an update tomorrow, will the web browser work even if the system software is out of date?

To my knowledge yes.

Oxn

Thanks! Hope that's the case.

Also seeing as how Nintendo isnt making money off wii-us and its software anymore i doubt there will be an update anyway. This exploit has been out for a while now and they still havent attempted to do anything about it. I think they are done here.

Lastly there is also the other way, think its called hachix or something that doesnt need to to go through the web browser or internet for it to work.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican

... See, I don't think so. Going by the 3DS, I believe they've updated it before where you couldn't even access the web browser without updating. As soon as you went to the browser, it would immediately tell you yo update. They did this to block browser hax on the 3DS.

Theoretically, they could do the same thing on WiiU, but I agree with the above Poster. If they didn't update with Zelda BOTW, I don't think they ever will. I think Nintendo is completely done giving any time or resource to WiiU. Hell, I'm surprised they still update the eshop!

RootCause

Also seeing as how Nintendo isnt making money off wii-us and its software anymore i doubt there will be an update anyway. This exploit has been out for a while now and they still havent attempted to do anything about it. I think they are done here.

Lastly there is also the other way, think its called hachix or something that doesnt need to to go through the web browser or internet for it to work.

Maybe I'm missing something, but the second method Dora's the appear to be on the op. Can you link me to a guide?

If Nintendo hasn't released a firmware update by now, I don't think they will.

Never say never, but I really do think we're safe.

... See, I don't think so. Going by the 3DS, I believe they've updated it before where you couldn't even access the web browser without updating. As soon as you went to the browser, it would immediately tell you yo update. They did this to block browser hax on the 3DS.

Theoretically, they could do the same thing on WiiU, but I agree with the above Poster. If they didn't update with Zelda BOTW, I don't think they ever will. I think Nintendo is completely done giving any time or resource to WiiU. Hell, I'm surprised they still update the eshop!
You guys have been very helpful. Really appreciate it.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Im trying to get this working but no luck. when i got to loadiine.ovh it redirects but then i get a white screen. tried again and getting "fsgetmountsource failed". i am using a 16GB USB. do i really need an SD card to do this or am i doing something else wrong. on the usb i have wiiu/apps/ with ddd and homebrew launcher. usb is formatted to FAT32.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Im trying to get this working but no luck. when i got to loadiine.ovh it redirects but then i get a white screen. tried again and getting "fsgetmountsource failed". i am using a 16GB USB. do i really need an SD card to do this or am i doing something else wrong. on the usb i have wiiu/apps/ with ddd and homebrew launcher. usb is formatted to FAT32.

You need an SD card to use the Loadiine.ovh method.

Get Haxchi, though.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
So, what are the best uses for hacking the Wii U?

Lol you can dump all your disks to external HDD or internal storage and load them from the home screen like an eShop, without really changing, hacking, spoofing your firmware on your WiiU at all. It's nuts.

Platy

So, what are the best uses for hacking the Wii U?

Play Zelda with the ps4 controller or splatoon with mouse and keyboard
install disks in an external hd
emulators galore
transfer roms for emulators trough FTP
region free
injected DS virtual console for awesome DS play on the big screen or touch
play custom splatfests
easy vwii hacking without the need of a game

Region free, usb backups, retroarch and well, all the "perks"

Lol you can dump all your disks to external HDD or internal storage and load them from the home screen like an eShop, without really changing, hacking, spoofing your firmware on your WiiU at all. It's nuts.

Play Zelda with the ps4 controller or splatoon with mouse and keyboard
install disks in an external hd
emulators galore
transfer roms for emulators trough FTP
region free
injected DS virtual console for awesome DS play on the big screen or touch
play custom splatfests
easy vwii hacking without the need of a game
Thanks guys! I'm trying it now. Much more simple to get going than the vita is.

Mugy

I have a few questions:

What its exactly WUD Installer?

Do i need my physical copies to be in the console in order to be able to dump them in a USB drive or HDD?

If there's any risk of Bricking the console by installing CFW?

Feffe

Maybe I'm missing something, but the second method Dora's the appear to be on the op. Can you link me to a guide?
https://github.com/FlimFlam69/WiiUTutorial/wiki

In Step 3 you install Haxchi, i.e. you buy a DS game from the eShop and modify it so everytime you launch it you enter CFW. It's impossible to brick,
In Step 5 (skip Step 3) you install CHBC: you make the modified DS game launch everytime you boot the Wii U. You have a de-facto autobooting CFW! If something goes wrong here you may end up with a bricked Wii U, but iirc it never happened. Just be careful never to delete the modified DS game.
I suggest to use this mod of CHBC https://gbatemp.net/threads/cbhc-mod-coldboot-haxchi-cfw-mod.453971/ it has the option to launch Padcon before starting CFW. Padcon is a small homebrew that let you turn off the GamePad screen pressing the left analog stick anytime you want (you can still use the GamePad as a controller).

2SeeKU

Hey guys,
I've dumped my most played Wii U games to the external HDD for easier access. The only other thing l'd love to do is dump my Wii games too (I don't want/like the idea of having to launch another app just to launch a Wii game), is this possible?

EmiPrime

I ripped my smash brothers 4 disc to my USB. Can I use my saves or do I have to start all over?

If your save was on your USB hard drive yes you can. If you forgot to copy your save(s) to your USB hard drive before ripping your game(s) you will need to move your save(s) over, over-writing your dump(s) and then dump your game(s) again.

Psykoboy2

You could even use it to rip your Mario Maker disc, install it, update and play new downloaded courses

That's...already been done. But I'm seeing a lot of "cfw only" for some VC stuff that I'd like to play and can only do it with custom firmware. So far, I've just done the browser method to get to wup and go from there.

Top Bottom