• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U - No optical audio connector? Nintendo. Fix this!!

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Fucking Nintendo. They haven't even added a RF modulator in the Wii U. How the fuck am I meant to connect it up to my old CRT 14" TV? You mean, I have to upgrade my AV equipment to something made this century? FUCK YOU NINTENDO etc etc

Find me a dvd/bluray/satellite box that only outputs PCM audio.

Matt

The bigger issue was that for a while, HDMI receivers didn't support HDMI audio, nor did they support conversion from component to HDMI. So while they technically supported HDMI, you got pretty much none of the real benefits from it.

Anyway, I can kinda see a reason for wanting optical out. Nintendo's never gonna incorporate TrueHD or DTS-HD into the system, so all HDMI really stands to introduce is potential handshake issues. At least I know optical works.

But if the system dosen't support DD anyway, then all you would get over optical is stereo.

Matt

Yeah i think this ones about 5 years old. I think i may be mistaken. It has hdmi, but thats only the picture. its when you connect optical to the tv, and hdmi to the console from the tv that its stereo or fake surround(by which i mean dolby pro II and not 5.1).

You need to connect the HDMI cable to the receiver directly if you can. If not, then it dosen't have HDMI, and the optical cable from the TV will not give you surround sound.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
But if the system dosen't support DD anyway, then all you would get over optical is stereo.

I mean, I'd think it would support DD 5.1 since that's been in games for a decade or so now... so you could still do that.

Either way, people have a serious lack of appreciation for a good stereo setup these days. Damn kids and their Logitech subs.

It's Nintendo, and disc space likely wouldn't allow it.

Matt

I mean, I'd think it would support DD 5.1 since that's been in games for a decade or so now... so you could still do that.

Either way, people have a serious lack of appreciation for a good stereo setup these days. Damn kids and their Logitech subs.

It's Nintendo, and disc space likely wouldn't allow it.

Wii U does NOT have DD. It only outputs surround in PCM.

Danny Dudekisser

The disks are 25 GB...

That I didn't know. Proprietary format, then?

Though even that much leaves me with some doubts. Uncompressed audio takes a lot of space, and when you consider the demand for less compressed/uncompressed textures and such these days... I dunno.

OverHeat

« generous god »
My Pioneer Elite Receiver loves all 7 of its HDMI inputs. It will love the WiiU via HDMI.
I got hdmi inputs on my pionner receiver too but when the baby sleep I use my a50.By the way I was talking about the tech inside WiiU...
B5BD52F2-3649-489D-8325-99A0D7E1093E-4283-0000058B55DE1B8B.jpg

Danny Dudekisser

I have not read any specs, but PCM is fine for supporting surround sound - it's just raw sound data (like a wav file) being sent out.

Nah, I get it... I was just thinking about what the best sound quality we can expect from a given game is, and with DD and DTS out the window, my mind naturally went to the next step up. And then came to the realization that they're probably going to make everything sound like a Dreamcast game anyway, regardless of how fancy your method of outputting the sound is.

Uhhh how am I supposed to get virtual 5.1 through my headphones if the WiiU doesn't support DD? I don't think my mixamp will accept any other type of audio.

Matt

Nah, I get it... I was just thinking about what the best sound quality we can expect from a given game is, and with DD and DTS out the window, my mind naturally went to the next step up. And then came to the realization that they're probably going to make everything sound like a Dreamcast game anyway, regardless of how fancy your method of outputting the sound is.

...what?

The system should sound just as good as any other console.

Foxix Von

This is unfathomable. The Wii U not having DD might be reason for me to cancel my preorder. There's goes the entire aural experience.

And that's the exact same thing that tipped my interest in the Wii U to complete and total indifference.

kodt said:
HDMI into TV, Optical Audio Out from TV to Receiver.

It's been stated several times in the thread before that the only an incredibly small number of televisions actually have this as a viable alternative. Especially in the Wii U's case lacks DD/DTS anyway so all you'd get out if it is stereo audio.

Hiltz

I'm so confused by what this optical audio connector is.

I checked the specs of my Sony HDtv and it says it features optical digital audio output for Dolby® Digital. Is that the same thing as what OP is talking about ?

Danny Dudekisser

I checked the specs of my Sony HDtv and it says it features optical digital audio output for Dolby® Digital. Is that the same thing as what OP is talking about ?

Yeah, should be. The input on the TV is sorta square shaped, with a couple squiggles on the sides.

kodt

Banned

Yes, but if your receiver supports HDMI then you really don't have to worry about it. This is only important to people with older receivers that don't support HDMI.

If you don't use a receiver and just a TV, then it also doesn't affect you.

Matt

Forget about that. If you have a receiver with HDMI, you're probably fine. Otherwise, you're not.

Nuklear

Banned
This is unfathomable. The Wii U not having DD might be reason for me to cancel my preorder. There's goes the entire aural experience.

Sad to say, I canceled mine. This is a deal breaker for me. ><

Of course when it releases and my impulse buying genes kick in I'll still end up with the system. ><

Teletraan1

Banned
I have a TV that will output 5.1 like this.

If your source is LPCM 5.1 and you plug your HDMI into your TV your TV would need to be re-encoding that source to DD5.1 on the fly and then sending it to your receiver. I could see if the source was DD5.1 and it just passed that same signal along with no need to re-encode. Optical cables do not have the ability to transmit a LPCM5.1 signal. Due to bandwidth constraints they max out at PCM2.0 or use compressed standards such as DD5.1 or DTS. Often people have receivers that when fed a stereo signal do a very shitty up-convert to multi channel but retains none of the positional audio characteristics because it is just extrapolating a stereo signal.

Top Bottom