• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Pro Controller announced - X360pad design, no screen, "for multiplatform games"

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Official Iwata quote:

Nintendo Direct E3 2012 said:
For those who are mainly interested in multiplatform games, with more traditional means of control, we will also offer the Wii U Pro Controller as a separate [play style], which is lighter and maybe more attractive for longer, more intense forms of gaming.

nincontroller-610x3432.jpg

For comparison:

buy_xbox_360_wireless1ruds.jpg

In the video it was mentioned that it would be great for "longer periods of play" and for multiplatform titles.

I'm not exactly sure how this helps multiplatform titles since I'd assume they'd have to develop something to show up on the screen...or perhaps the touch screen would display the Wii U OS messaging system if no "game signal" is sent to the pad?

Crazy stuff!

edit: Also noted was that the Nunchuck, Wii Remote and Wii Balance Board will also be officially supported by the Wii U.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Buttons below the stick is still so baffling. Otherwise, looks fantastic.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand we're back.

Wario64's comments about that being awkward to play Mario with have a point, but it still looks cool. No way it's packed with the console though.

Matt

Nintendo isn't mandating that anything has to show on the Wii Pad Screen. Remember, if you are streaming the whole game to the Pad, then you wouldn't have the benefit of a second screen...

Ronin

Damn, the face button lettering would mess me up so bad switching back and forth between this and 360.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Ehh... Why are they following instead of leading here?

Not to mention that awful button layout. Sheesh

At least it's not tethered to the main controller. If we're lucky it won't be long until we get it working on PC. That DPad should be pretty good.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Looks like a shooter controller through and through. Hopefully the bumpers are more useful.

That is one handsome controller. Glad to see Nintendo took some inspiration from one of the best designed controllers ever. I wonder if moving the buttons and the right stick will make a huge difference in comparison to how the 360 controller feels.

This...was unexpected.

AEn0k.png

In the video it was mentioned that it would be great for "longer periods of play" and for multiplatform titles.

I'm not exactly sure how this helps multiplatform titles since I'd assume they'd have to develop something to show up on the screen...or perhaps the touch screen would display the Wii U OS messaging system if no "game signal" is sent to the pad?

Crazy stuff!

It should have longer battery power and ideal for Multiplayer Splitscreen modes when only one Gamepad is available. I must say, I'm not too fond of the design. I rather take the Gamepad or Wiimote when possible.

Eusis

It may make sense in that it winds up being more friendly for traditional 2D platformers and similar, while the face buttons ARE secondary for FPSes, but I seriously hope they also introduce one with the sticks/buttons flipped around so I can have both extremes.

Tuck

Stick placement is unusual, I wonder how it feels.

Man this thing supports like 5 different controllers.

jediyoshi

I thought it was weird initially too, but dpad/buttons being alongside buttons and the shape your hands would make seems inline with something like the wiimote sideways or gba micro

8uBjV.jpg

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I don't like that the sticks are above the buttons. It doesn't make any sense to me. Why make a "multiplatform" controller and keep the sticks in a weird position? (I also don't see the need for a new controller to begin with...)

Top Bottom