• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U System Update Details

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't really find the overscan thing an issue until I started Zombi U. Then I realized what was on the gamepad was not what was on my TV.

When I fixed it I saw I was missing around 15% of my screen with my default options.

Damian.

Banned
After the relaunch ambassador program will include 10 GC games and 10 N64 games mark my words.

We can only hope they do something for the early adopters. Not knocking Nintendo, but their past two system launches have been disasters. It's not like them.

At best you can hope for a game by game solution where you can move the hud around, but no system can universally calculate how people want their huds to look.

Why? You could easily have a global option that allows the user to set up their own safe zones. And if that's too challenging, surely the only sensible thing to do is to support over-scanning TVs by default. HUD elements will appear to be slightly more indented if you have a TV that displays everything, but it's preferable to doing it the opposite way, where things get cut off for some viewers.

Not sure why any modern TV wouldn't have a pixel or PC mode... It's even crazier to me that it's not the default option on TVs since overscan hasn't been an issue since digital broadcasts became standard a decade ago.

hwy_61

Banned
Anybody know if the club Nintendo games will be eligible for the Wii U upgrade? I'm thinking of picking up Mario 64.

EDIT: I forgot to add WHEN 64 support is available!

Hasney

Not sure why any modern TV wouldn't have a pixel or PC mode... It's even crazier to me that it's not the default option on TVs since overscan hasn't been an issue since digital broadcasts became standard a decade ago.

All my TV has is a game mode. I think it does some kind of correction on the VGA port for "PC Mode" so doesn't bother with it for HDMI purposes.

All my TV has is a game mode. I think it does some kind of correction on the VGA port for "PC Mode" so doesn't bother with it for HDMI purposes.

That's what I mean though, it doesn't make sense NOT to have it for HDMI. No ability to disable overscan doesn't just mean cut off screens for game systems, it means part of EVERY screen is cut off. Blu-rays, broadcast TV, etc all of that you're losing part of the picture. Not to mention that you're stretching an image to fit your screen with overscan on, causing slight blurring to the mix.

I'm not saying Nintendo shouldn't have made an option to compensate, just saying TV manufacturers must be getting SOMETHING out of screwing consumers the option.

Damian.

Banned
Yeah, this is 100% on the television manufacturers. I have seen LCD TVs as far back as 2007 that are 1:1 pixel mapping. I didn't even know you could make LCDs that had overscan.

rokero

I hope this fixes, the console freezing all the time although this has gotten better with time now that i think about it, my wii u used to froze all the time when in miiverse, now it doesn't, i totally agree about a better notification system they should have gone with different colors on the gamepad ala 3ds

Pyrrhus

Yeah, this is 100% on the television manufacturers. I have seen LCD TVs as far back as 2007 that are 1:1 pixel mapping. I didn't even know you could make LCDs that had overscan.

The problem originates with the manufacturers, sure. But most A/V equipment worth a damn has some method of ameliorating known problems. It's on Nintendo to make a device that plays well with as many machines as possible by having support for things like the full color gamut and over/underscan control. I don't know if it's arrogance, ignorance, or what, but their options with the Wii U, on many levels, are simply inadequate for a product released in 2012.

The problem originates with the manufacturers, sure. But most A/V equipment worth a damn has some method of ameliorating known problems. It's on Nintendo to make a device that plays well with as many machines as possible by having support for things like the full color gamut and over/underscan control. I don't know if it's arrogance, ignorance, or what, but their options with the Wii U, on many levels, are simply inadequate for a product released in 2012.

Just put your monitor/TV in 1:1 mode (different name for different brands), and your problem is solved. I've had no such problems with any of my games, Wii U, Wii or VC.

Edit: I agree with you that Nintendo is weird sometimes, but this is simply a case of either your TV being shit, or you having the wrong settings on it. It's not Nintendo's fault at all.

Damian.

Banned

I agree with you about Nintendo being behind the times. What model is your TV? If it is recent there should be a way to fix your problem.

I feel that much of the Wii U's starting load times have to deal with it connecting itself online, and then loading the newest bunch of Miiverse. I think a lot of what this update does is actually send the system into standby so that it can periodically update that, and maintain an internet connection, before you turn it on so that you just don't have to wait on it.
As for the returning to menu, fuck if I know specifically, but oh well.

prag16

Banned
Anybody know if the club Nintendo games will be eligible for the Wii U upgrade? I'm thinking of picking up Mario 64.

EDIT: I forgot to add WHEN 64 support is available!
Should be. To my knowledge those are exactly the same as purchased games once you have then installed. I picked up Mario 64 for 200 coins as well.

DoubleTap

Does this mean I can take saves to other Wii U consoles yet?

I'm going to say no. Whatever is on your HDD is still tied to the console. The update means you can move your stuff to a different HDD when you decide to upgrade it. You'll also able to backup to a different HDD via the copy function.

I'm just curious if they'll change the format so the copy/move function can be done via PC, similar to how the 3DS handles the SD card content.

I don't think Nintendo has addressed this, nor have I seen it mentioned in this thread:

When I go to download Wii U VC games that I've already purchased on my Wii VC and transferred over, how is the Wii U eShop going to be able to tell that I've already downloaded certain titles, thus qualifying me for the discount?

I don't think that the Wii U can reach into Wii Mode and see those games, or can it?

Just put your monitor/TV in 1:1 mode (different name for different brands), and your problem is solved. I've had no such problems with any of my games, Wii U, Wii or VC.

Edit: I agree with you that Nintendo is weird sometimes, but this is simply a case of either your TV being shit, or you having the wrong settings on it. It's not Nintendo's fault at all.

Just Scan / Full Pixel are a couple of the names I've come across. 360 and PS3 definitely have overscan with some set-ups, it's just not as pronounced and perhaps less apparent due to the fact that there's no GamePad to flag it so blatantly.

Always, always make sure you've set each TV input to 1:1 when using it for the first time.

Richie

I don't think Nintendo has addressed this, nor have I seen it mentioned in this thread:

When I go to download Wii U VC games that I've already purchased on my Wii VC and transferred over, how is the Wii U eShop going to be able to tell that I've already downloaded certain titles, thus qualifying me for the discount?

I don't think that the Wii U can reach into Wii Mode and see those games, or can it?

This is a good question. Some may think Club Nintendo's the answer, but with many countries not supporting it, I don't see them relying on it.

DoubleTap

I had to register a NNID before the transfer was even enabled. I'm guessing the transfer itself will tie all your purchases to the WiiU you're transferring to.

Somnid

Because they are attached to your Wii Shop account on your Wii U.

I wonder if this will get rid of that annoying "Please Wait" screen when turning the system on with a disc in the drive.
It's like a 30 second wait with LEGO City in the drive.

Pyrrhus

My TV is already in 1:1. That will take care of overscan. However, underscan is my problem and that is a result of how Nintendo chose to render images for the Wii Mode and Virtual Console. They made the video image extend only to where the overscan on most monitors would chop it off and left the areas beyond that just black space.

So my monitor, which is in 1:1, full pixel mode will render my PC, PS3, XBox360, and native Wii U games that decided to render a full image properly with an image that extends to the edges of the monitor. But Virtual Console, Wii Mode, and games that decided to hardcode overscan into the way they output the image all have to be played in a little black border unless I want to constantly flip my monitor back into overscan mode.

It's just a pathetically amateur way to do things for a modern piece of electronics.

This is a good question. Some may think Club Nintendo's the answer, but with many countries not supporting it, I don't see them relying on it.

I think they're going to look at the games you've got in Wii Mode's VC.

Damian.

Banned
My TV is already in 1:1. That will take care of overscan. However, underscan is my problem and that is a result of how Nintendo chose to render images for the Wii Mode and Virtual Console. They made the video image extend only to where the overscan on most monitors would chop it off and left the areas beyond that just black space.

So my monitor, which is in 1:1, full pixel mode will render my PC, PS3, XBox360, and native Wii U games that decided to render a full image properly with an image that extends to the edges of the monitor. But Virtual Console, Wii Mode, and games that decided to hardcode overscan into the way they output the image all have to be played in a little black border unless I want to constantly flip my monitor back into overscan mode.

It's just a pathetically amateur way to do things for a modern piece of electronics.

I think they're going to look at the games you've got in Wii Mode's VC.

Yeah, that is a problem and annoying. One of the reasons that I don't mess with Wii mode even though it makes the image a tad better looking.

Because they are attached to your Wii Shop account on your Wii U.

I think the problem is determining how the Wii U eShop communiciates with the Wii Shop Channel to determine which titles you already have on the latter.

I had to register a NNID before the transfer was even enabled. I'm guessing the transfer itself will tie all your purchases to the WiiU you're transferring to.

Ah, I forgot about the transfer being connected to my NNID. Also worth noting is that I had two Wiis before I bought my Wii U (the original white one which bit the dust, and the red Mario 25th anniversary one), and both had significant amounts of downloaded titles. Before I did the transfer to the Wii U, I called Nintendo, and they merged the digital licenses of the two Wiis, meaning I could download any title in Wii Mode's Shop Channel that I had previously downloaded on either of the two Wiis.

So I'm thinking that there's some invisible record of my Wii Shop Channel purchases that's handled by my NNID.

JoeM86

Set my TV to the correct mode.

Which neither my PS3 or my 360 required, but whatever, it was not a big deal.

They don't require it, but you do lose part of the screen if you don't, exactly the same as the Wii U. People just only notice it on the Wii U due to Off-TV play duplicating the original screen

kinggroin

Banned
Set my TV to the correct mode.

Which neither my PS3 or my 360 required, but whatever, it was not a big deal.

Have you ever tried swapping the Wii U to one of the inputs used by the PS3/360 and see if 1:1 pixel map sticks?

Some tvs have hdmi inputs that treat their source like a PC and automatically set the display to fit correctly, while other inputs expect the kind of source that needs to have overscan to compensate for "garbage data" usually displayed within that 15% you mentioned.

Not sure if the Wii U supports it, but connecting via analog component cables will almost assuredly lead to overscanning.

Somnid

I think the problem is determining how the Wii U eShop communiciates with the Wii Shop Channel to determine which titles you already have on the latter.

It's data on the system. It just opens up the Wii Shop Channel game manifest and says "hey you got a coupon for this." I'm pretty sure your purchases are also tied with the server-side account. It's clearly tracking something via wifi when you transfer but I doubt they'll bother doing it that way.

Brofield

Now: let me buy things via a web-based eShop on my computer and let it download to my Wii U while I'm not at home and everything is fine
One Nintendo account, one eShop, one can dream.

Screw dreaming, it was only through rallying on Miiverse that Europeans got 60 MHz games, or that we're finally getting Earthbound on the VC!

Hell, if anything Nintendo should have a community dedicated to suggestions for potential Wii U features.

Point being, BITCH ON MIIVERSE TO GET SHIT DONE.

Damian.

Banned
We should riot the Miiverse until Nintendo stops royally screwing us over with the separate account system. Tired of of old businessmen having meetings on how to siphon the max amount of money from their userbase. Be fair, and it will work out for you in the end, Nintendo.

RedSwirl

Party chat
A proper account system
Improve their servers speed
Cross play/buy(lol) with 3DS
Improve the system stability
Second Wii U gamepad support

:p

It'd be nice if we could at least get cross-play for Virtual Console games, since Sony allows cross-play for PS1 games.

We should riot the Miiverse until Nintendo stops royally screwing us over with the separate account system. Tired of of old businessmen having meetings on how to siphon the max amount of money from their userbase. Be fair, and it will work out for you in the end, Nintendo.

I imagine it is more incompetence than willing greed.

Except for perhaps the greed of not wanting to pay for a better design.

Somewhat ironically, they're (probably) going to be the only manufacturer to allow BC for digital content between WiS360 and Wuranobis' generations.

Despite not having an account system, Nintendo looks to be the only console maker that will let you transfer your current (Wii/PS3/360) games to your next-gen system. So, I think you should be a little nicer toward them on this topic.

Damian.

Banned
I imagine it is more incompetence than willing greed.

Except for perhaps the greed of not wanting to pay for a better design.

I hope it is incompetence, that would be easily rectified at some point in the near future. On the other hand, if it is greed, we will be stuck with it until the company hierarchy is shaken up at some point.

I hope it is incompetence, that would be easily rectified at some point in the near future. On the other hand, if it is greed, we will be stuck with it until the company hierarchy is shaken up at some point.

There's an option when making a Wii U account to just log in from an account created on another system.

I assume they just tossed it out half-baked and haven't activated it.

D-e-f-

Banned
Screw dreaming, it was only through rallying on Miiverse that Europeans got 60 MHz games, or that we're finally getting Earthbound on the VC!

Hell, if anything Nintendo should have a community dedicated to suggestions for potential Wii U features.

Point being, BITCH ON MIIVERSE TO GET SHIT DONE.

Honestly, though, I believe EB coming to the West was a done deal (or at least planned and still in the paperwork phase) before they even announced the VC Trial program with Mother 2 in Japan.

The bitching on Miiverse (and overall release situation) has probably affected the timing of the announcement, though.

rokero

My netflix never works. It just gets some error, can't remember the error in particular tho.
this happened to me once i deleted netflix and the shared data file, re downloaded it, and problem solved, give that a try and see if it works for you

Shiggy

After the relaunch ambassador program will include 10 GC games and 10 N64 games mark my words.

That would be an insane deal. Buy the Wii U immediately after the announcement of the ambassador program for 170€ and get some ambassador games. Not sure if that's really gonna happen considering the Wii U price is already so low.

Brofield

Iunno, that one thread about Iwata subtly (unsure if he really was, though) implying he might step down with less than ideal fiscal reports this coming year, and that week where EA's John Ravioli and SE's Wada-san both 'stepped down' 'willingly' got me thinking harder on that.

Yes, Iwata was responsible for the Wii, but with trying to launch the 3DS and Wii U just like it, without even a real 1st party Nintendo game (at least there was the sense to port Twilight Princess over to Wii to make it a launch title), his reputation's taken a bit of a dive for him.

I'm not sure if I want it or not, because Iwata is a smart man, but that company shake-up just might happen sooner than we think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom