• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Thread - Now in HD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Not going to touch on Nintendo's software history over the last generation or so just yet, but I too lament the lack of a system defining, unique title at the launch of the Wii U. The absence of such a unique game from Nintendo contributed to my disappointment over their E3 showing. It's not a question of software quality, but the Wii U is absolutely missing the traditional ground breaking, system defining unexpected behemoth that, even if not at launch, is at least advertised.

It's Nintendo's safest, most predictable line-up yet, even if it is fun.

Nintendo Land?

At least I believe that's the intention.

jmizzal

If the new MGS game is even possible to be scaled down to run on PS3/360 which it looks like the case, then WiiU is fine for next Gen as far as ports being able to run on it.

PS3/360 is like 2004/05 hardware and WiiU is like 2010 hardware, so next gen cans could def be scaled to run on WiiU, it wont be such a large jump.

jmizzal

MGS:GZ better fricken come to WiiU. This is Nintendo, who currently owns Japan-land and has a great relationship with eastern developers. Western developers not supporting it is one thing, but this is totally different.

The problem is Nintendo systems has had 1 Metal Gear game and it was done by a Nintendo 2nd party, I doubt it comes to WiiU, but he owes Nintendo one for Snake being in Brawl to me.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Nintendo Land?

I believe that is the intention, but I don't feel they've succeeded. Most of the games they've shown so far are very, very easily adaptable to the standard Wii Remote + Nunchuck control scheme, and in some cases require it. And even then, the GamePad gimmicks are hardly anything ground breaking. Welcome and I'm sure quite fun, but in most cases simply a perspective tracker, additional video feed, and use of the gyro (which could be done with the remote anyway).

As it stands, Nintendo Land comes across as a mini-game compilation aimed at hybridising Wii Remote and GamePad multiplayer gameplay. A nice bridging title that takes philosophy and design learned from the Wii, as well as literal functionality of the Wii remote and nunchuck, and couples them with some GamePad support for a new, multiplayer centric Wii U minigame compilation.

This is at odds with something like Wii Sports which, for all the shit it can get for waggling, was a hardware defining show piece that signified what motion controls could bring to gaming and the market, in a way that no standard controller could. Going back in time, games like Luigi's Mansion aimed to show off dual analogue sticks, and Mario 64 speaks for itself.

The Wii U doesn't have anything like that, nothing that defines the Wii U as a massive step forward for Nintendo. I don't necessarily believe Nintendo has nothing to show this, but they haven't shown us that title yet. They've played it pretty safe.

Oersted

on a sidenote: i remember a interview from last year with a silent hill producer, he completly sounded like sh on wiiu is going happen, as far as i remember... has there been any news since then regarding this possibility?

@IrishNinja: thanks for the hint, page is loading painfully slow right now. dont know why...

Edit: found it

I was in charge of Shattered Memories which was designed for the Wii. I thought we did really cool stuff with motion control, so I’m sure there are some cool things we can do a touch screen in front of you and you can take it with you. Hopefully, in the future I will get a chance to see it and we can come up with some cool stuff for Silent Hill.
http://www.siliconera.com/2011/08/2...-with-downpours-puzzles-and-konami-usas-role/

jmizzal

Nintendo Land?

Its gonna be up to Nintendo to fully do Nintendo Land living up to what it can be

It should have full Miiverse integration, full online Mii party walking around the Park, at least you and your friends can see each other.

Or they could go MMO route (which is wishful thinking) You can go into a server and see everybody in that server walking around the park, you can see people next to events they are playing.

Like some MMO's you can do single player Nintendo land games or multiplayer with other people.

Now if Nintendo wanted to be serious about online something like that could go very far. They could also add games to it as DLC, and Nintendo Land could last thru out WiiU's life cycle.

I will totally piss me off when Nintendo Land turns out to be fun to play classic gem of a game.
That is just not what I wanted to see another collection of mini-games. Still Nintendo has a way of making something you think you did not want to play into something you can't put down.

/Nintendo Land Hater 4 Life!
LLShC.gif

As for the 13th, I don't think they really have a choice be for this to be a major hype blowout. Can they really just demo the same things they had going since E3 and all those little WiiU Experience weekends they had around?

Nintendo Land
Pikmin 3
NG3
NSMBU
P-100

as I am writing this list I feel kinda strange because I remember what it felt like to write down

WAVERACE - X-ZERO - ZELDA - METROID as launch titles or platform teasers, where is that game that makes you really want this platform

we all know Zelda HD and 3D Mario are coming but these things were always teased a bit for Launch of new hardware

This is Nintendo's Entry into HD we all have in our minds images of what that means but can Nintendo deliver?

I won't say E3 2013 because you can't really trust Nintendo at E3 anymore but a Nintendo Direct needs to give something that really sells us on the WiiU

canvee

Not going to touch on Nintendo's software history over the last generation or so just yet, but I too lament the lack of a system defining, unique title at the launch of the Wii U. The absence of such a unique game from Nintendo contributed to my disappointment over their E3 showing. It's not a question of software quality, but the Wii U is absolutely missing the traditional ground breaking, system defining unexpected behemoth that, even if not at launch, is at least advertised.

It's Nintendo's safest, most predictable line-up yet, even if it is fun.

Apart from 3d implementation, I'm struggling to find a system defining game for the 3ds as well. A lot of the line-up seem to be next gen iterations of ds games. Not that I'm complaining with the current and upcoming line-up.

Hiltz

Its gonna be up to Nintendo to fully do Nintendo Land living up to what it can be

It should have full Miiverse integration, full online Mii party walking around the Park, at least you and your friends can see each other.

Or they could go MMO route (which is wishful thinking) You can go into a server and see everybody in that server walking around the park, you can see people next to events they are playing.

Like some MMO's you can do single player Nintendo land games or multiplayer with other people.

Now if Nintendo wanted to be serious about online something like that could go very far. They could also add games to it as DLC, and Nintendo Land could last thru out WiiU's life cycle.

You know Nintendo prefers to stick to local multiplayer for most of its games. Stop tormenting yourself with "what if" ideas. :(

The problem is Nintendo systems has had 1 Metal Gear game and it was done by a Nintendo 2nd party, I doubt it comes to WiiU, but he owes Nintendo one for Snake being in Brawl to me.

I'd say a big part of the blame is on Nintendo if games like Ground Zeroes, Tomb Raider, Bioshock Infinite etc. aren't on the platform. I think it's clear that they went did a lot to get the level of support that they currently have from third party developers on the 3DS. They certainly didn't just sit back and everyone just decided to develop major titles almost exclusively for the platform.

So why aren't they doing the same for the Wii U? Obviously exclusives are going to be much more rare, but they should at least be actively looking to land many of these big titles. It doesn't matter if they're exclusive or not. With the current generation they ended up losing many multiplatform games because those titles would've been impossible or would've just taken too much work to run on the Wii, but that's no longer the case. And it doesn't make sense that something unique would have to be done with the Wii U version because of the controller. Nintendo obviously isn't requiring that. We've already seen some games doing the minimum with that screen. So there really shouldn't be any excuses.

Hieberrr

I just played brawl with 3 others for 4 hours. I can't wait to do this on the Wii U. Heck, if their online works out this time, this will be glorious!

I don't even know what I was supposed to be impressed by graphically. Yes, it looks more realistic, but what about it is special ? I can look at a gameplay trailer from games like Uncharted and be immediatly impressed by what I'm looking at, but that wasn't the case for me with Ground Zero... and this is comnig from someone who has only owned a Wii this generation. It should be easier to impress me with rich HD graphics, but for some reason, it just didn't. I'm left scratching my head.

Because people fail to realize that a pretty game alone isn't enough. It also has to be FUN.

Yeah its kind of sad that wiiu isnt even getting current gen ports let alone the next gen stuff.
Not sure I get the reaction to this comment. Seems valid enough.

Grand Theft Auto
Borderlands 2
Bioshock Infinite
Hitman: Absolution
Far Cry 3
Dishonored
Tomb Raider
DmC
Dead Space 3
Crysis 3
Metro: Last Light

And now potentially also MGS: Ground Zeroes.

There are a lot of big titles that remain unannounced for Wii U right now.

That too, forgot it, although we'll see what CACPCOM do I guess.

Because people fail to realize that a pretty game alone isn't enough. It also has to be FUN.

What if Ground Zero is fun?

Grand Theft Auto
Borderlands 2
Bioshock Infinite
Far Cry 3
Dishonored
Tomb Raider
DmC
Dead Space 3
Crysis 3

RE6?

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
I believe that is the intention, but I don't feel they've succeeded. Most of the games they've shown so far are very, very easily adaptable to the standard Wii Remote + Nunchuck control scheme, and in some cases require it. And even then, the GamePad gimmicks are hardly anything ground breaking. Welcome and I'm sure quite fun, but in most cases simply a perspective tracker, additional video feed, and use of the gyro (which could be done with the remote anyway).

As it stands, Nintendo Land comes across as a mini-game compilation aimed at hybridising Wii Remote and GamePad multiplayer gameplay. A nice bridging title that takes philosophy and design learned from the Wii, as well as literal functionality of the Wii remote and nunchuck, and couples them with some GamePad support for a new, multiplayer centric Wii U minigame compilation.

This is at odds with something like Wii Sports which, for all the shit it can get for waggling, was a hardware defining show piece that signified what motion controls could bring to gaming and the market, in a way that no standard controller could. Going back in time, games like Luigi's Mansion aimed to show off dual analogue sticks, and Mario 64 speaks for itself.

The Wii U doesn't have anything like that, nothing that defines the Wii U as a massive step forward for Nintendo. I don't necessarily believe Nintendo has nothing to show this, but they haven't shown us that title yet. They've played it pretty safe.
"Hindsights 20/20" but damn! It's one thing to not see it yet, but if you're going consider Luigi's Mansion as a hardware defining game, but not Nintendoland, then your perspective is really warped.

Two months from launch there wasn't one person who realistically expected Wii Sports to ship 80 million copies. The game was a collection of tech demos and 2 of its 5 games weren't revealed until (respectively) this week.

I believe the bigger component of Nintendoland hasn't been revealed yet. They've mentioned Miiverse integration, but haven't detailed anything about it. I'm not totally sold on it yet, but at least, I'm waiting to see what becomes of it.

jmizzal

Grand Theft Auto
Borderlands 2
Bioshock Infinite
Far Cry 3
Dishonored
Tomb Raider
DmC
Dead Space 3
Crysis 3

There are a lot of big titles that remain unannounced for Wii U right now.

That too, forgot it, although we'll see what CACPCOM do I guess.

There is really nothing announced for WiiU for 2013 so far so I guess I should say WiiU isnt getting any games next year right?

WiiU 2013 lineup so far Aliens CM, Injustice and Smash Bros U

Thats all folks have a good year

There is really nothing announced for WiiU for 2013 so far so I guess I should say WiiU isnt getting any games next year right?

You're going to be very disappointed if you expect every game on that list to come to Wii U just because Nintendo hasn't been talking about 2013 yet. It's much better if you expect nothing and come away pleasantly surprised.

jmizzal

You're going to be very disappointed if you expect every game on that list to come to Wii U just because Nintendo hasn't been talking about 2013 yet. It's much better if you expect nothing and come away pleasantly surprised.

I'm not saying every game on the list is coming, but i'm not gonna jump to conclusions and act like nothing is coming.

We dont even know Japanese launch, and people are already dooming 2013 for NA 3rd party games

Two months from launch there wasn't one person who realistically expected Wii Sports to ship 80 million copies. The game was a collection of tech demos and 2 of its 5 games weren't revealed until (respectively) this week.
A lot of people thought that it would ship with the unit, so yes a lot of people did think it would sell 1 to 1 with the Wii, however the Wii did.

I believe the bigger component of Nintendoland hasn't been revealed yet. They've mentioned Miiverse integration, but haven't detailed anything about it. I'm not totally sold on it yet, but at least, I'm waiting to see what becomes of it.
It's not gonna be anything more than random Mii's from the Miiverse walking around the hub amusement park.

I'm not saying every game on the list is coming, but i'm not gonna jump to conclusions and act like nothing is coming.

We dont even know Japanese launch, and people are already dooming 2013 for NA 3rd party games

When a company only shows the launch window games for a video game system, a thing that should be viable for at least a few years, a few questions naturally pop into your head. The most obvious of which is "why?" The real reason probably has to do with business and moving launch games or whatever, but it's really easy to be cynical and think that there's nothing beyond the launch, especially when the company in question has such a poor record of third party support.

Anyway, I agree with you for the most part, but I think we're going to a pretty clear divide in what different companies are willing to put on the Wii U. As in "lots" or "nothing." And I think it's already fairly obvious who goes where.

If a middleware engine (UE, CryEngine, Frostbyte, Fox Engine, MT Framework,etc) is ported well the Wii U, what reason would a publisher have not to release a WiiU sku with just a map on the Gamepad? Seems like easy money. A Wii U version of Bioshock Infinite, MGS:GZ, Cryisis 3, Resident Evil 6 or Dead Space 3 seem like easy money. They won't make the PS3/360/PC versions sell any fewer copies? For the Wii it was was understandable, but with WiiU piggy-backing 2 hardware cycles...seems silly

Firstly, several of those games are 2012 titles. Of the 2013 titles, most are early 2013. Of those that aren't, for some titles indication has been made that they won't be coming e.g. Take-Two's CEO comments, Metro Last Light Wii U cancelled.

Re-ordered:
Borderlands 2
Resident Evil 6
Dishonored
Far Cry 3

2013 January
DmC

2013 February - Aliens: Colonial Marines launches on the 12th, presumably inside "launch window"?
Bioshock Infinite
Crysis 3
Dead Space 3
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

2013 March
Tomb Raider

2013 TBA
Grand Theft Auto V

I suppose we can assume that Nintendo has barred third-party publishers from announcing their titles until Nintendo seems fit, because it apparently looks better to have these titles remain unannounced for Wii U. But Warner Bros is allowed to announce Injustice, which may fall outside the launch window.

Also, I didn't say that they wouldn't or couldn't be announced. But that they haven't, ergo as per the information currently available the comment made by the other poster seemed perfectly valid.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Nintendo Land?

Of course Nintendo Land. If people can have a blast with it at an expo with strangers, picture what it will do in your house with friends and family members.

Nintendo want Wii U to be a local multiplayer machine, to play "together". And asymmetric gameplay is the core strength of the platform. Usual pundits will label it a PR talk. But it's Wii U's value prop, Nintendo Land is Wii U's signature title. I just hope it will include online features as well. Playing together also means online, and it would send another kind of message to the market. Online missing would be a bad move.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
A lot of people thought that it would ship with the unit, so yes a lot of people did think it would sell 1 to 1 with the Wii, however the Wii did.
Your missing the point.... badly. Being a pack-in game isn't the same as being a defining gaming.

It's not gonna be anything more than random Mii's from the Miiverse walking around the hub amusement park.
I doubt it. They did that in Mario Kart and Wii Sports Resort. Miiverse is more than that.

If a middleware engine (UE, CryEngine, Frostbyte, Fox Engine, MT Framework,etc) is ported well the Wii U, what reason would a publisher have not to release a WiiU sku with just a map on the Gamepad? Seems like easy money. A Wii U version of Bioshock Infinite, MGS:GZ, Cryisis 3, Resident Evil 6 or Dead Space 3 seem like easy money. They won't make the PS3/360/PC versions sell any fewer copies? For the Wii it was was understandable, but with WiiU piggy-backing 2 hardware cycles...seems silly

Even with the engine in place and no matter how easy we perceive porting to be, the process still costs money, time, and manpower. If a company thinks that it isn't going to make enough money to justify a port, then why would it waste resources doing it? In the case of the Wii, you could easily see some circumstances where it seemed like a developer was leaving "money on the table" because there wasn't a Wii version of a game, but the difference in specs between the Wii and other systems probably made it hard to justify a port whose performance was uncertain. Hopefully with the Wii U at least the cost of porting is small enough that it doesn't take much convincing.

Hiltz

Couple of things. First, you'll probably want to add P-100 for a 2013 release. In addition, Ubisoft may be able to release Ghost Recon Online next year depending on how far into development the game is now that the PC version is out. Secondly, Smash Bros 4 may take longer to develop for due to Sakurai working on two titles simultaneously. However, by next E3, we should get a trailer for it. It doesn't seem like Sakurai will be ready to show it off at this year's Fall conference, but you never know. Plus, the game could get delayed just like Smash Bros Brawl did (it was supposed to come out holiday 2007 and development for it began in October 2006). Speaking of E3, we may get to see projects from developers like Retro Studios and/or Monolith Soft as their games have been in development longer than Smash Bros Brawl. In any case, Nintendo said its already thinking about software planned for the holiday season. Also, Iwata said back in July that there are some unannounced third-party games that he has plans to be revealed at the September conference this year. Lastly, we know Capcom has something planned for Wii U (even if it's just some ports) while Square Enix has yet to discuss overseas plans for Dragon Quest X.

Hiltz

It's Pax Prime and Nintendo's there, right ? So why haven't we received any media footage or anything ? The show is over tomorrow. Knowing Nintendo, it likely brought the same game demos as the ones from its invitation tours.

RedSwirl

Another thing to consider is that Nintendo is really concerned with power usage and noise of the console. Something most of us here on this board couldn't give two shits about.

That being said, when I got my 60 inch Plasma eight months ago, my electricity bill suddenly jumped up a lot. It really surprised me. Since then Ive been more away of power consumption and the fact that my 360's fan makes so much noise.

From what I understand it's mainly for the Japanese audience. People over there are pretty conscious of the energy footprint of their electronics - enough to where wattage is commonly displayed in stores. At least that's what it was like around the time the Wii came out. It was one of the reasons Nintendo reigned in the Wii hardware - one of its major selling points was its tiny power draw.

Hiltz

My Wii is freaking loud. I can hear the abnormal clicking noise with the volume turned up. Come on girl, don't break down on me again. Nintendo better not disappointment with Wii U hardware issues.

Anth0ny

MGS:GZ better fricken come to WiiU. This is Nintendo, who currently owns Japan-land and has a great relationship with eastern developers. Western developers not supporting it is one thing, but this is totally different.

don't make me bust out the quote

cause i will

donny2112

Really?

Yeah its kind of sad that wiiu isnt even getting current gen ports let alone the next gen stuff.

That's a valid statement?

The Wii U already is getting current gen ports and is fully expected to get some (if not most) of the next-gen ports, too.

Is it getting everything? No. It has to prove itself with what it is getting to increase that, I think. However, it absolutely is getting current-gen and should easily be getting next-gen ports, too. In other words, "Wow [at the laughingly blind comment]."

jrDev

Yes, themselves. How many games riding the same concept do we want? These games stick very close to the predecesors. For example, Galaxy 1 and 2. Now, the thrid Wii Fit, Pikimin 3, 2 New Super Mario Bros games months apart, yet another Luigis Mansion. Their New IP for the system launch is yet another tech demo mini game compilation with some of them riding in very old concepts. More Paper Mario RPG's. Among others.

Of course this has been their modus operandi, yet in the past these series reinvented themselves and resurfaced as sequels that presented more variation from the core material. But lately they are too similar and that's because their resources are limited.

I don't know about you but i'll rather have them reduce the amount of proyects and concentrate on delivering more significant experiences. Have them investing on one big IP (like Zelda or Metroid) and handle 2 or 3 experimental yet smaller proyects. Right now Nintendo seems in factory mode outputting serialized products like a screw factory. So that craftmanship work seems missing, well to me that is.
Yup, you are out of your mind...someone could bust out a list for comparisons sake between all three companies to rip your argument apart, you are even wrong about NSMB franchise and I've only really loved the Wii version...

My Wii is freaking loud. I can hear the abnormal clicking noise with the volume turned up. Come on girl, don't break down on me again. Nintendo better not disappointment with Wii U hardware issues.

If the 3DS and 3DS XL are any indicator, Nintendo has stopped giving a damn about quality control. Hopefully it doesn't affect the Wii U.

Really?

That's a valid statement?

The Wii U already is getting current gen ports and is fully expected to get some (if not most) of the next-gen ports, too.

Is it getting everything? No. It has to prove itself with what it is getting to increase that, I think. However, it absolutely is getting current-gen and should easily be getting next-gen ports, too. In other words, "Wow [at the laughingly blind comment]."
I read the comment as someone expressing disappointment that a lot of big current gen titles are currently known only to be PCPS360 titles, presumably brought about by this discussion of Ground Zeroes. Since a lot of them are.

I didn't really pay attention to the next gen part - although, with regard to that, it's essentially too soon to tell (not necessarily from a technical perspective NB).
Well lets break it down, there was a long boring CG-looking cut scene, then it turned to ingame footage of a dude looking around a corner a couple times then crawling. There was no indication of how it controls or how its going to play differently than any of the other stealth type games that have already been coming out for years. To me it looks exactly like a ton of other modern games, a gameplay turd encased in a graphical diamond.

Then it gets announced for Wii U and becomes the Game of the Forever, amirite?

I guess I'm the only one that wasn't very impressed by that Metal Gear demo.

Well lets break it down, there was a long boring CG-looking cut scene, then it turned to ingame footage of a dude looking around a corner a couple times then crawling. There was no indication of how it controls or how its going to play differently than any of the other stealth type games that have already been coming out for years. To me it looks exactly like a ton of other modern games, a gameplay turd encased in a graphical diamond.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom