• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Watch_Dogs canceled? GS Italy says so; Ubisoft no comment; back on gamestop.it

Status
Not open for further replies.

BPoole

If Ubi bails on the Wii U, I don't see it surviving much longer.

Nintendo needs to go back to the drawing board and starting sending boxes of chocolate to third party CEOs

Urko

Neo Member
Long overdue. This is one of the few third party games I was planning to buy on the system but I am honestly surprised that it took them this long to cancel it. There is simply no money to be made on the Wii U for third parties.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Wow, this sucks pretty bad for Wii U pre-orders if true. Probably the last game downported from next gen consoles I imagined the Wii U would get.

tebunker

Banned
Long overdue. This is one of the few third party games I was planning to buy on the system but I am honestly surprised that it took them this long to cancel it. There is simply no money to be made on the Wii U for third parties.

Are you in Italy? Were you called by Gamestop? I am confused here, you can still look forward to the game, probably still coming,.

What I don't get is there are at least a couple million Wii U consoles in the US already sold and a few million more worldwide. Why are we only seeing games selling 10-20,000 each? Games like Wonderful 101, Mario 3D Land, Sonic, NSLBU, erc. are barely even charting even they even do so at all. The attach rate for the Wii U must be spectacularly awful. Are Nintendo fans ONLY playing NintendoLand? If that's the case then they have nobody to blame but themselves. I don't blame Ubi, EA or anyone in that case for cutting ties.

Not surprising. There's simply no incentive to releasing it on the console considering it'll maybe sell 30k copies in a month before disappearing. Financially it just doesn't make sense.

So PC got 0?

Numbers don't add up, and what was the source for that exactly, I sure never saw it...

I gave the numbers, and Creamsugar gave the Wii U percentage.

Here's what was shared over the months:

October NPD:
Assassin's Creed IV - 620K, Wii U 1% (~6,200 units)
Given NPD Chart Ordering: 360 > PS3 > NWU

November NPD:
Assassin's Creed IV - 1.2 million
Given NPD Chart Ordering: 360 > PS4 > PS3 > XBO > PC > NWU

Out of PS4 / XBO sales:
PS4 - 69.05%
XBO - 30.95%

December NPD:
Assassin's Creed IV - 1.17 million
Given NPD Chart Ordering: 360 > PS3 > PS4 > XBO > NWU > PC

December LTD:
PS4 Assassin's Creed 4 - between 500K and 550K
XBO Assassin's Creed 4 - between 350K and 400K

What I don't get is there are at least a couple million Wii U consoles in the US already sold and a few million more worldwide. Why are we only seeing games selling 10-20,000 each? Games like Wonderful 101, Mario 3D Land, Sonic, NSLBU, erc. are barely even charting even they even do so at all. The attach rate for the Wii U must be spectacularly awful. Are Nintendo fans ONLY playing NintendoLand? If that's the case then they have nobody to blame but themselves. I don't blame Ubi, EA or anyone in that case for cutting ties.

This is the issue Nintendo currently face. Even on more advanced hardware the current install base isn't buying 3rd party titles. That's why simply rushing a system out that is on par, or even more powerful, likely won't make a ton of difference until they start fixing some of the other issues they face.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

October NPD:
The struggle is real.

A few months ago in Canada, FS and BBs were doing a trade 1 for AC:IV, CoD: Ghosts or BF4. Trade any game, no minimum trade in value requirement. It could be anything. Well over 300 people must've showed up to my local FS, and we were some of the final people who were able to snag a game. They only had copies of CoD 360 left, and a few copies of AC:IV for Wii U. The manager went all down the line of people (including those that were already told there wouldn't be enough copies left of every other game for them because of how far down in the line they were) to see if anyone wanted one of the Wii U copies of AC:IV. Nobody did. Not even to use to trade elsewhere. The Wii U version is like the black death.

Amazing...I guess the Wii U version was a shitty port or ate to the party..... :/

......and ppl wonder why......

I take it this isnt taking into account the PS4 or XBO versions?

Actually from the impressions I get, especially in the Screenshot thread, the Wii U port of Assassins Creed IV Black Flag is good.

Release date(s) PlayStation 3 & Xbox 360
WW October 29, 2013

Wii U
NA October 29, 2013
AU November 21, 2013
EU November 22, 2013
JP November 28, 2013

PlayStation 4
NA November 15, 2013
AU November 29, 2013
EU November 22, 2013

Microsoft Windows
NA November 19, 2013
AU November 21, 2013
EU November 22, 2013

Xbox One
WW November 22, 2013

It was a bit fractured for the Wii U I guess, however 1% just means the user base of the Wii U are just not interested.

If I were UbiSoft I'd cancel this one. I don't see how it can possibly sell enough to justify the port.

Anyone who likes games like Watchdogs, or has any interest in games like Watchdogs MUST have another console or PC that can run it.

If someone is a Wii U only owner and can't wait for Watchdogs....well, you simply got the wrong console (or need to invest about $80 in a used Ps3/360)

Dysun

If true this is pretty much the death knell of major third party support.

LEGO games, and Just Dance will push on I guess.

KiraXD

Invest millions until now.

Sell maybe 100.000 and get back some money.

Sell 0 and get back 0 money.

Don't see how this makes sense now.

youre looking at that the wrong way:

more like:

Sell maybe 100,000 get no money back (cost of developing, paying employees. etc...)

Sell 0 and get -$$ back

they still have to pay employees and the development team... if they dont know if it will sell enough to recoup those costs... it might not be worth it at all...

Shaanyboi

Banned
Nintendo should scrap the Wii U, make another console at least on par with Xbone with an x86 architecture, call it the GameCube 2, put a standard controller with optional Wii U game pad support for remote play, and call it good.

Than the account systems and improvements come.

But please do this by E3.

lol funny

Ubisoft isn't quite as bad about releasing games for every platform in existence as Activision is, but they're close. If this is actually cancelled then I don't know what third-party support Nintendo expects to get for however much longer the Wii U stays on sale.

It wouldn't surprise me much if it was just cancelled outside of English (and French?) speaking countries though. The Wii U has done even worse in Europe than elsewhere and localization isn't free.

It's ok. I'm sure Nintendo will remember this when no one gives a shit about Ubisoft again

So never? Along with Activision and EA, Ubisoft has been around for a very long time and has been releasing a lot of games during that entire time.

If Ubisoft ever became irrelevant or went bankrupt then it would be because they either catastrophically goofed (say by having Ubisoft Motion Pictures license FF for Spirits Within 2-5) or because the video game industry was dead.

Aside from that, Nintendo needs to figure out how to stay relevant on home consoles themselves before they try to exact any sort of revenge.

Thing is, releasing a new console now would only make things worse: they'd be pissing off their current fans, and third-party wouldn't be on board with a new console.

I'm of two minds. On the one hand they'd be ticking off millions and launching against what look to be two strong competitors that would already have been on the market for at least a couple of years at that point right as they were hitting their stride. On the other hand they might actually offer competitive (or even superior) specs and get reasonable multiplat support as a result, which is a lot more than they can expect currently.

It would need to be a big change design and feature-wise though, they couldn't just release a higher performing small white box and expect it to sell. I think they could have gotten away with a Wii HD and an improved Wiimote (more precise, more buttons, better ergonomics) had they launched it in 2012, but it's probably too late for that now.

Ahasverus

But WiiU's versions of Assassin's Creed IV, Splinter Cell: Blacklist, Call of Duty: Ghosts and Batman: Arkham Origins were solid efforts at the same time from the competition (so no late port excuse here) and perfoming even better than the current gen machines. Still WiiU owners didn't cared.
Actually no. Digital Foundry debuked the common "the wiiU version is better than current gen" everytime.

trixx

The struggle is real.

A few months ago in Canada, FS and BBs were doing a trade 1 for AC:IV, CoD: Ghosts or BF4. Trade any game, no minimum trade in value requirement. It could be anything. Well over 300 people must've showed up to my local FS, and we were some of the final people who were able to snag a game. They only had copies of CoD 360 left, and a few copies of AC:IV for Wii U. The manager went all down the line of people (including those that were already told there wouldn't be enough copies left of every other game for them because of how far down in the line they were) to see if anyone wanted one of the Wii U copies of AC:IV. Nobody did. Not even to use to trade elsewhere. The Wii U version is like the black death.

I got CoD ghosts for wii u from FS trade in. Theres probably like 2-3k players online on a good day lmao. Console is a disaster, the sales of the games are abysmal even first party titles are pretty bad judging from miiverse community populations

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
What were the install bases of each console at the time though? That's rather important when seeing if the %ages are ludicrous.

This idea flies out the window when you see how well multiplat games did on PS4 and Xbox One. It all comes down to there being an interest in third party games on the console or not. There isn't on the Wii U.

This would be pretty bad if true. This seems like the last BIG third party game for the Wii U (that isn't exclusive) and losing it feels like a major defeat. I was personally most interested in the Wii U version.

Here's hoping Gamestop Italy is full of shit.

BrhysH

The struggle is real.

Funny they were all gone at 2 FS and 1 BB in my area.

dolemite

October NPD:

November NPD:
Assassin's Creed IV - 1.2 million
Given NPD Chart Ordering: 360 > PS4 > PS3 > XBO > PC > NWU

Out of PS4 / XBO sales:
PS4 - 69.05%
XBO - 30.95%

December NPD:
Assassin's Creed IV - 1.17 million
Given NPD Chart Ordering: 360 > PS3 > PS4 > XBO > NWU > PC

December LTD:
PS4 Assassin's Creed 4 - between 500K and 550K
XBO Assassin's Creed 4 - between 350K and 400K

To be fair, Rayman Legends WiiU outsold the PS3 and X360 versions combined. The AAA multiplat titles were selling piss poor on the Wii and the stigma probably carried over to WiiU.

As for Watch Dogs, if Ubisoft drops the WiiU version then may the force be with Nintendo. The game is pretty much finished and Ubisoft must have a solid reason to drop one of the versions (maybe to save the cost of printing the disks?).

Nico_D

I have WII U and didn't buy Assassin's Creed IV. I also have XBOX 360 and PS3 and I didn't buy it for those either. Reason? Too much AC. And it's starting to forget it's supposed to be an assassination stealth game. I'm just not interested anymore, they've bled it dry.

It's a bit hard to imagine Ubi would cancel Watch Dogs now, so far down the line when the game has to be basically ready.

Mattias

Banned
I have WII U and didn't buy Assassin's Creed IV. I also have XBOX 360 and PS3 and I didn't buy it for those either. Reason? Too much AC. And it's starting to forget it's supposed to be an assassination stealth game. I'm just not interested anymore, they've bled it dry.

It's a bit hard to imagine Ubi would cancel Watch Dogs now, so far down the line when the game has to be basically ready.

I got it for PS4 instead. PS3/360 is dead to me now.

RamsesA

Neo Member
I don't know how I feel about this. I have a Wii U and I want the platform to succeed (however unlikely at this point) but I probably wouldn't buy Watch Dogs even if they released it. It's just not the type of game I'm interested in. If I were interested I'd buy it on the PC anyway.

You know what kind of games I am interested in? The ones that Nintendo is making and third party titles that are like them (e.g. Rayman Legends). I only wish there were more of them.

Cygan

Neo Member
Right now the only big third party publishers supporting the Wii U are Ubisoft, Activision, Capcom, Sega, and DC. Ubisoft itself probably accounts for most of the third party titles and the fact that the new Alien game from Sega not coming to Wii U is pretty troubling for Nintendo.

Publishers with no support are EA, 2K, Take-Two, Bethesda and Konami.

This seems like even less third party support then the Game Cube had.

Dahaka

Before the Wii U was officially revealed I was actually kinda hoping the new Nintendo System would be a revival of the Super Nintendo (though I've been a SEGA fan back then), especially in 3rd party support. Damn that was wishful.

Doorman

I know it slightly oversimplifies the situation, but I think it's weird for people to act surprised about games like Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty selling much better on the PS3 and 360 than the Wii U. Those franchises have had an entire generation to establish fanbases on non-Nintendo consoles, systems which have had over half a decade to sell systems and put together both an install base and (especially in the case of CoD), multiplayer communities. If the Wii U is receiving equivalent software or even software with some features cut (did I read correctly a while back that the Wii U version of AC4 didn't receive any of the game's DLC?), why would a fan of those games buy a whole new system for it when they can just play the same thing on what they already own, WITH all of the friends and online rivals they've established over 6-7 years? It was nice for the Wii U to get some of those multiplatform games, but that turned out to be useless when the Wii completely failed to cultivate a similar consumer-base to work with.

Essentially, the reason for the Wii's initial success has gone quite a way in turning around to become one of the reasons for Wii U's downfall. More to the point of Watch_Dogs, I'll be disappointed if the Wii U version gets cancelled because I was a little curious about it and don't yet own any other "next-gen" consoles, but I can live without it. I don't know that I would call it some major hit on Nintendo's third party relations, since regardless of Watch Dogs' release it's pretty apparent that third parties have already written the system off regardless. One more game released for the audience that Nintendo never fostered wasn't going to change that.

Shiggy

Swiss retailers apparently also delisted the game. It was close to cancellation last year already according to some GAF user.

Edit: Just the special edition.

jmizzal

Swiss retailers apparently also delisted the game. It was close to cancellation last year already according to some GAF user.

that rumor said the WiiU version would be delayed but all versions got delayed, plus this is not Watch Dogs as a whole from Gamestop Italy it was one edition of Watch Dogs, which has happen in the past with Ubisoft games on WiiU, which means it will prob just get the regular version.

Plus this post says they are still including the WiiU version in meetings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom